Topics

a new application of morse code #off_topic

Allard PE1NWL

Not quite BitX related, but here's an interesting application of morse code:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_QMQ4QHcw

73 Allard PE1NWL

Lee

Great video.  I once heard of a ham that could not speak because of surgery and he tapped morse code on his wife's hand "pain very bad" so she cold tell the doctors.
--
      Lee - N9LO

"I Void Warranties"

Mark Muller

That was amazing, Allard! I will be passing that on to some friends.

Thanks for sharing that with us!  N5KNG

Jim Strohm

Lee said:

"I once heard of a ham that could not speak because of surgery and he tapped morse code on his wife's hand "pain very bad" so she cold tell the doctors."

My brother and I used Morse once when I was helping him buy a used car from a dealer.  Being in the closing room -- which EVERYBODY knows is bugged --  I silently helped him w/ price negotiations to get a fair deal on a lightly used station wagon, which gave him years of excellent service before it died from being a GM product.

CW is a wonderful language to know.

73
Jim N6OTQ

Jack Purdum

Charlie McEwen and I got our licenses about the same time. When we started playing HS football together, I was an offensive end and he played offensive tackle right next to me. We called cross-blocks on and off using Morse code. Never did run into another ham...

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, May 14, 2018, 4:38:20 PM EDT, Jim Strohm <jim.strohm@...> wrote:

Lee said:

"I once heard of a ham that could not speak because of surgery and he tapped morse code on his wife's hand "pain very bad" so she cold tell the doctors."

My brother and I used Morse once when I was helping him buy a used car from a dealer.  Being in the closing room -- which EVERYBODY knows is bugged --  I silently helped him w/ price negotiations to get a fair deal on a lightly used station wagon, which gave him years of excellent service before it died from being a GM product.

CW is a wonderful language to know.

73
Jim N6OTQ

_Dave_ K0MBT

I wonder if she can copy code as well as she can send it. I didn't see an antenna attached to her chair. Maybe her husband is a ham.

Lawrence Macionski

It was 1967-68.. Detroit when I started college, President of K8EEH Henry Ford College ARC.. Somewhere in Detroit there was a Marine, that had been hit while on the Korean DMZ and was paralyzed- lost the ability to speak. He had the ability to send CW with only his thumb. Hams in Detroit built a CW to RTTY converter and supplied a Teletype in his bedroom so his mother, his care giver (and others), would not have to learn morse code.

CW was extensively used in Alcatraz as depicted in the Movie "Birdman of Alcatraz"  I just saw an article out of NERDS (New England Radio Discussion Society) about the Navy using shipboard flasher signaling lights with an automated Text to CW flash converter. No need to learn CW.