Topics

Amateur Radio Kits Case Arrived - 5 STARS * * * * * -#ubitx

Lawrence Macionski

I ordered a uBITX case from https://amateurradiokits.in/store/ BITX Store by Sunil. on March 23,2018.
I reported he was shipping 50 cases when I contacted him last week regarding a DHL upgrade to shipping.
My case was shipped DHL 2018-05-04 from India
Arrived KANSAS USA DHL 2018-04-07 1100 hr local.
Case is beautiful.. Siemens Gray..
Note the case comes with:
10K linear pot
Main tuning knob
Small knob (volume)
Push on - power switch
Fuse Holder
DC socket
DC connector
SO239 connector
Speaker 8 ohm
Screws for PCB and case
Plastic and Brass standoffs.
Acrylic Cover for LCD -(Window)
4 pin Mic socket.
PCB for USB sockets
USB socket
DB 9 socket -for accessories on rear panel
3 extra PCB boards...
PCB mounting for Rotary encoder
PCB mounting for Power switch and fuse
PCB USB and DB9 socket.
Additionally, a red/green T/R LED, tywraps- heat shrink tubing, tywrap mounting adhesive blocks, additional connectors, plastic feet and a front stand for tilting unit.
WHAT A VALUE FOR THE MONEY!!!!- silk screened case, shielded metal construction, all the extra's you need to complete the build!!!

Now- let's mention the packing.. Mine arrived DHL unpacked as follows:
TYVAC DHL envelope- India to Kansas 3 Days. 0.5 Kg weight
Unit was DOUBLE wrapped in small air bubble sheets, completely encased in clear 2" wide clear tape..amounted to 3/4-1 inch bubble wrap all sides.
Once 2 layers of bubble wrap was removes the unit was encased in a high density stryafoam box with 1/2 thick sides and taped shut.
Upon opening the Styrofoam box, the case was then neatly wrapped in a plastic bag.
The uBITX case was finally exposed but required unscrewing the top cover to continue unpacking.
Inside the box double wrapped in newspaper is a ziplock sandwich bag filled with all the small accessories included it the price.
Some of the items (the Display Window) were protected in yet another layer of newspaper.

1. QUALITY of CASE                                                    * * * * *    5 stars
  2. Professional Appearance                                      * * * * *    5 stars
  3. Additional components to complete build          * * * * *    5 stars
  4. Additional PCB's included                                     * * * * *    5 stars
  5. STURDYNESS OF  CASE                                         * * * * *    5 stars
  6. PACKING QUALITY                                                  * * * * *    5 stars
  7. VALUE of purchase                                                * * * * *    5 stars
  8. Will I buy Again?                                                     * * * * *    5 stars
  9. Will I recommend?                                                 * * * * *    5 stars

God love all the other case builders, and those that "roll" their own..Better men than I.  This is the ROLLS ROYCE STANDARD you need to consider. Especially recommended for a  group- club builds when replication and quality is desired.

Respectfully Submitted-
Larry W8LM
ARRL Life Member - Licensed 52 Years.
Past President, 2 terms -VFW post 3115 Amateur Radio Club, WØVFW -Wichita, KANSAS

K9HZ <bill@...>

Yeah i got one too.  Nice but some things are not what you would call perfect (circuit boards). Also i sure wish they would learn about lock washers in India...

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On May 7, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Lawrence Macionski via Groups.Io <am_fm_radio@...> wrote:

I ordered a uBITX case from https://amateurradiokits.in/store/ BITX Store by Sunil. on March 23,2018.
I reported he was shipping 50 cases when I contacted him last week regarding a DHL upgrade to shipping.
10K linear pot
Main tuning knob
Small knob (volume)
Push on - power switch
Fuse Holder
DC socket
DC connector
SO239 connector
Speaker 8 ohm
Screws for PCB and case
4 pin Mic socket.
PCB for USB sockets
USB socket
3 extra PCB boards...
PCB USB and DB9 socket.
Additionally, a red/green T/R LED, tywraps- heat shrink tubing, tywrap mounting adhesive blocks, additional connectors, plastic feet and a front stand for tilting unit.
WHAT A VALUE FOR THE MONEY!!!!- silk screened case, shielded metal construction, all the extra's you need to complete the build!!!

Unit was DOUBLE wrapped in small air bubble sheets, completely encased in clear 2" wide clear tape..amounted to 3/4-1 inch bubble wrap all sides.
Once 2 layers of bubble wrap was removes the unit was encased in a high density stryafoam box with 1/2 thick sides and taped shut.
Upon opening the Styrofoam box, the case was then neatly wrapped in a plastic bag.
The uBITX case was finally exposed but required unscrewing the top cover to continue unpacking.
Inside the box double wrapped in newspaper is a ziplock sandwich bag filled with all the small accessories included it the price.
Some of the items (the Display Window) were protected in yet another layer of newspaper.

1. QUALITY of CASE                                                    * * * * *    5 stars
  2. Professional Appearance                                      * * * * *    5 stars
  4. Additional PCB's included                                     * * * * *    5 stars
  5. STURDYNESS OF  CASE                                         * * * * *    5 stars
  6. PACKING QUALITY                                                  * * * * *    5 stars
  7. VALUE of purchase                                                * * * * *    5 stars
  8. Will I buy Again?                                                     * * * * *    5 stars
  9. Will I recommend?                                                 * * * * *    5 stars

God love all the other case builders, and those that "roll" their own..Better men than I.  This is the ROLLS ROYCE STANDARD you need to consider. Especially recommended for a  group- club builds when replication and quality is desired.

Respectfully Submitted-
Larry W8LM
Past President, 2 terms -VFW post 3115 Amateur Radio Club, WØVFW -Wichita, KANSAS

w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>

Just got my blue case today from Sunil!  Now for the assembly.   It was certainly nice having all the parts and pieces. 
Now to figure out what goes where, since no instructions are included.  I've got the main board mounted and the SO239 socket in place.
Hmmm - maybe I should keep track of what I do, take pictures and publish it here for others to follow.  Then maybe Sunil could include it with future kits.

Ron W7HD
Licensed continuously since 1967. 
Was "one of the hams at Heath" back in the 1970's in radio engineering and wrote a couple of the manuals while designing the circuit boards and chassis.

On 05/07/2018 10:00 AM, Lawrence Macionski via Groups.Io wrote:
10K linear pot
Main tuning knob
Small knob (volume)
Push on - power switch
Fuse Holder
DC socket
DC connector
SO239 connector
Speaker 8 ohm
Screws for PCB and case
4 pin Mic socket.
PCB for USB sockets
USB socket
3 extra PCB boards...
PCB USB and DB9 socket.

Respectfully Submitted-
Larry W8LM

-- 
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Mike Woods

Ron

That would be great for uBITx.net as well, since Sunil's cases are obviously in demand.

Mike ZL1AXG

On 8/05/18 3:40 PM, w7hd.rh wrote:
Just got my blue case today from Sunil!  Now for the assembly.   It was certainly nice having all the parts and pieces. 
Now to figure out what goes where, since no instructions are included.  I've got the main board mounted and the SO239 socket in place.
Hmmm - maybe I should keep track of what I do, take pictures and publish it here for others to follow.  Then maybe Sunil could include it with future kits.

Ron W7HD
Licensed continuously since 1967. 
Was "one of the hams at Heath" back in the 1970's in radio engineering and wrote a couple of the manuals while designing the circuit boards and chassis.

On 05/07/2018 10:00 AM, Lawrence Macionski via Groups.Io wrote:
10K linear pot
Main tuning knob
Small knob (volume)
Push on - power switch
Fuse Holder
DC socket
DC connector
SO239 connector
Speaker 8 ohm
Screws for PCB and case
4 pin Mic socket.
PCB for USB sockets
USB socket
3 extra PCB boards...
PCB USB and DB9 socket.

Respectfully Submitted-
Larry W8LM

-- 
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

richcarter03052 <re.carter@...>

I got my case last week and assembled the radio.  I really like the case.  It's well made and well worth the money.

I have a few comments.

The potentiometer holes in the front-panel are too small.  Drilling they out is trivial but necessary.
There is a replacement volume control pot included with the case kit.  The replacement lacks an on/off switch.  I assume that the issue here is that it's impossible to find a knob for the pot/switch included in the original kit.  There is a new on/off button for the back panel.  I can't see anyone wanting the button located on the back so I ordered a replacement pot with integral switch on ebay.
The audio jacks for the front-panel are made for PCB mounting.  These are hard to wire.  I replaced mine with panel mount jacks from my parts bin.
The kit includes three small circuit cards.  One for wiring the power button and fuse-holder, now not needed since I discarded the button.  One for wiring the encoder.  Since I already wired it, not much use to me.  One for a serial and USB port and two audio jacks on the back-panel.  There are no instructions so I have no idea how to wire this and i have no idea what the jacks are for.
There's an LED for the front-panel that should display TX/RX state.  This might be nice, but I can tell the radio mode without it.  No wiring instructions for this either.
Feet are included with the kit.  They are too tall and not necessary.  I put small stick-on rubber pads on the bottom of mine.
The kit includes duplicate parts like the pots and audio jacks already included in the original kit.  I assume this is to replace them if they are damaged when disassembling the kit for mounting in the new case.  The extra parts seem like a waste of money for the seller.

I have no idea what I'll do with this thing when I'm finished.  I need another rig like I need another hole in my head.  It's an entertaining project however.

Rich - KE1EV

David Lacey

I guess if it were all gold plated and free into the bargain.....there would still be someone to come
up with some trivial complaints !
Dave

On 08/05/2018 13:47, richcarter03052 wrote:
I got my case last week and assembled the radio.  I really like the case.  It's well made and well worth the money.

I have a few comments.

The potentiometer holes in the front-panel are too small.  Drilling they out is trivial but necessary.
There is a replacement volume control pot included with the case kit.  The replacement lacks an on/off switch.  I assume that the issue here is that it's impossible to find a knob for the pot/switch included in the original kit.  There is a new on/off button for the back panel.  I can't see anyone wanting the button located on the back so I ordered a replacement pot with integral switch on ebay.
The audio jacks for the front-panel are made for PCB mounting.  These are hard to wire.  I replaced mine with panel mount jacks from my parts bin.
The kit includes three small circuit cards.  One for wiring the power button and fuse-holder, now not needed since I discarded the button.  One for wiring the encoder.  Since I already wired it, not much use to me.  One for a serial and USB port and two audio jacks on the back-panel.  There are no instructions so I have no idea how to wire this and i have no idea what the jacks are for.
There's an LED for the front-panel that should display TX/RX state.  This might be nice, but I can tell the radio mode without it.  No wiring instructions for this either.
Feet are included with the kit.  They are too tall and not necessary.  I put small stick-on rubber pads on the bottom of mine.
The kit includes duplicate parts like the pots and audio jacks already included in the original kit.  I assume this is to replace them if they are damaged when disassembling the kit for mounting in the new case.  The extra parts seem like a waste of money for the seller.

I have no idea what I'll do with this thing when I'm finished.  I need another rig like I need another hole in my head.  It's an entertaining project however.

Rich - KE1EV

richcarter03052 <re.carter@...>

They aren't complaints.  Read the first line again.
Rich

me@gillesdelpech.name

Hello

I’m French station F1BFU. 

I ordered my uBitx on April 22 and received it yesterday.
Very correct packaging with plastic case.

Look at the pictures of the package unpacking.

I am very happy with it and now I have to assemble it and put it in the box that has not arrived yet.

73 QRO Gilles F1BFU-QRP

Craig Wadsworth <cwadsworth@...>

Sunil clearly takes pride in a fine product. I have been re-purposing old cabinets and building a few PCBoard cases, but now Sunil’s work is reallly looking attractive. Thanks for letting us know about your experience. Ditto the other people who contributed suggestions.