Topics

ubitx_20.ino does not compile, anybody else encounter this? #ubitx #ubitx-help #arduino #firmware

freefuel@...

Has anyone else encountered a failure to compile the Arduino Sketch for the ubitx? I am getting an error code for some type of return in the menu portion of the code. 

-Justin N2TOH 

Gary Anderson

When hacking up for ARM, I found some functions defined as int, but did not return a value.
I changed to void. I would imagine it depends on your compiler or options passed to the compiler.

I'm using Arduino 1.85 
Arduino AVR v 1.6.21
Arduino SAMD v1.6.18
on a windows 10 machine.

void menuBand(int btn){ // was int but no return AG5TX
void menuCWSpeed(int btn){ // was int but no return AG5TX

Regards,
Gary
Ag5TX

freefuel@...

Gary,

1) I sourced a different version of the source that has CAT features and the stripped down Si5351a library and it seems to compile fine.  
2) I first want to backup the code on the Raduino as a precautionary measure.
3) how the heck to you solder the header pins to the NANO board with it already installed?
4) what started all this is a desire to test the frequency limits of the uBITX board. I'm interested in playing on 2 Meters. 

-Justin N2TOH 

M Garza <mgarza896@...>

Justin,
You are making things harder than they need to be.  You can always download the factory software from here:  https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx.  
Compile and install again.  Not a big deal & no soldering needed.

Hope this helps,

Marco - KG5PRT

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM, <freefuel@...> wrote:
Gary,

1) I sourced a different version of the source that has CAT features and the stripped down Si5351a library and it seems to compile fine.  
3) how the heck to you solder the header pins to the NANO board with it already installed?
4) what started all this is a desire to test the frequency limits of the uBITX board. I'm interested in playing on 2 Meters. 

-Justin N2TOH 

M Garza <mgarza896@...>

Justin,
I just downloaded the zip file, unpacked it and double-clicked on the ubitx_20.ino file.  The IDE opened and I compiled it with no issues.
Make sure you have the Etherkit SI5351 (v2.0.1 or higher) library installed.  I have the version listed and it compiles for me.

Hope this helps,

Marco - KG5PRT

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 12:35 AM, M Garza <mgarza896@...> wrote:
Justin,
You are making things harder than they need to be.  You can always download the factory software from here:  https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx.  
Compile and install again.  Not a big deal & no soldering needed.

Hope this helps,

Marco - KG5PRT

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM, <freefuel@...> wrote:
Gary,

-Justin N2TOH 

Gary Anderson

The code from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx uses Jerry's much lighter code to control the SI5351.  (thanks Jerry)

What you probably do want to back-up is the data from the EEPROM. 
I don't know if some values are set by calibration at the factory, or if they are universal.  I assume some NOT universal, since the c-code doesn't set default values if not programmed.
I bet someone reading this post could provide that insight / confirmation.
I wanted to know what mine had anyways, maybe save myself from unnecessary extra work.
You could write a sketch to print out the EEPROM data.  But since Ian KD8CEC has already provided an EEPROM data manager, I used his kindly provided application.
Of course to use Ian's EEPROM data manager, you first need to upload his sketch to your Arduino. I used CEC_V1.063
Ian uses additional EEPROM space in his code for additional settings.  Factory used EEPROM addresses remain the same.

For my board:
MASTER_CAL 171500
USB_CAL 11995250
The rest of the values either get set in the c-code to default values if not already in the EEPROM/ out of range, or don't appear to be used.

Here's my hacking code snippet:

#ifndef NO_EEPROM // use address
   #define MASTER_CAL 0
   #define LSB_CAL 4
   #define USB_CAL 8
   #define SIDE_TONE 12
   //these are ids of the vfos as well as their offset into the eeprom storage, don't change these 'magic' values
   #define VFO_A 16
   #define VFO_B 20
   #define CW_SIDETONE 24
   #define CW_SPEED 28
#else // use values
   #define MASTER_CAL 171500 // as read by uBitx manager
   #define LSB_CAL 0         // ?not used?
   #define USB_CAL 11995250  // as read by uBitx manager
   #define SIDE_TONE 0       // ?not used?
   #define VFO_A 7150000     // default value from orig code
   #define VFO_B 14200000    // default value from orig code
   #define CW_SIDETONE 800   // default value from orig code
   #define CW_SPEED 100      // default value from orig code
#endif

Regards,
Gary
AG5TX

freefuel@...

ah Thank you Marco, I will make sure I have that library installed. that may be the reason I keep getting compile errors for the original code. 

-Justin N2TOH 

freefuel@...

This is the error I get when trying to compile the original code. 

Arduino: 1.8.6 Hourly Build 2018/05/03 04:12 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
/Users/user/Downloads/ubitx-master/ubitx_20/ubitx_menu.ino: In function 'int menuBand(int)':
ubitx_menu:26:5: error: expected primary-expression before 'return'
 *   return;
     ^
/Users/user/Downloads/ubitx-master/ubitx_20/ubitx_menu.ino: In function 'int menuCWSpeed(int)':
ubitx_menu:211:7: error: expected primary-expression before 'return'
 *     return;
       ^
exit status 1
expected primary-expression before 'return'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

-Justin N2TOH 

Gary Anderson

Hi Justin.  I must have been too vague in my original answer, to be helpful.

...  I found some functions defined as int, but did not return a value.  I changed to void......
void menuBand(int btn){ // was int but no return AG5TX
void menuCWSpeed(int btn){ // was int but no return AG5TX

Thanks for including your compile errors.
Let's look at the compiler error message
/Users/user/Downloads/ubitx-master/ubitx_20/ubitx_menu.ino: In function 'int menuBand(int)':
/Users/user/Downloads/ubitx-master/ubitx_20/ubitx_menu.ino: In function 'int menuCWSpeed(int)':

this tell us that the function is still declared as an "init",
but the function doesn't return a value so the compiler is not happy.

Both of these functions are in the ubitx_menu.ino file, can be found / edited in the ubitx_menu tab in the Arduino IDE

Change:
int menuBand(int btn){      to      void menuBand(int btn){
int menuCWSpeed(int btn){    to   void menuCWSpeed(int btn){

This should fix your problem.
Regards,
Gary
Ag5TX