Topics

Nano Capability with 2.8" TFT Displays

Kees T

The subjects are too difficult to sort so I'll start another thread.

There are really nice serial interface 2.8" TFTs with touchscreens out there for pretty low prices ($8-$9). I would like to know just what you can do with an existing Nano or a Protoneer (much faster and way more storage). Seems like we have enough pins coming off the existing controller to support an SPI (4 pins). May need a small board between the existing Raduino  and the TFT (level shifters, etc). What functions could you support with firmware ? In other words what capabilities could be added if you don't worry about DSP, FFTs, etc. and other microcontroller intensive stuff.

Keep it simple and minimal..... starting with the existing uBITX and a 2.8" TFT with a SPI interface. What would you suggest ?

73 Kees K5BCQ

Jerry Gaffke

Sounds interesting, $8 is a great price.
I assume it's something like this, 320x240 of RGB dots, qvga:
    https://www.buydisplay.com/default/serial-spi-2-8-tft-lcd-module-display-320x240-optional-touch-screen

Will definitely require a special connector, I hope they are less than $8.
Down that webpage some under interfaces, they have several flavors of "8080 parallel interface".
Which sounds fun and retro, but I think I'll stick with SPI.

Could do plots and store a few fonts from the Nano, but that would be very limiting.
I'd simply spec a new processor, something between a $2 Blue Pill and a RasberryPi.
Better yet, let the builder choose the processor, run everything off of spi and i2c buses to minimize wires.
Forget 5v, most of the rest of the world did long ago.
If you do make a reasonably powerful processor possible, there are folks here that will use it.

A few possible projects we've already seen mentioned in the forum:
    panadapter, usable as a very low end spectrum analyzer
    sweeperino like device to plot filters
    A basic 100khz bw scope, with RF mixer so can see transmitted signal
    vector impedance analyzer  ;-)

If the processor has the muscle to support digital modes,
a display like that makes it possible to run stand-alone.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 07:31 pm, Kees T wrote:
The subjects are too difficult to sort so I'll start another thread.

There are really nice serial interface 2.8" TFTs with touchscreens out there for pretty low prices ($8-$9). I would like to know just what you can do with an existing Nano or a Protoneer (much faster and way more storage). Seems like we have enough pins coming off the existing controller to support an SPI (4 pins). May need a small board between the existing Raduino  and the TFT (level shifters, etc). What functions could you support with firmware ? In other words what capabilities could be added if you don't worry about DSP, FFTs, etc. and other microcontroller intensive stuff.

Keep it simple and minimal..... starting with the existing uBITX and a 2.8" TFT with a SPI interface. What would you suggest ?

73 Kees K5BCQ

Kees T

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 08:20 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Hello Jerry,
I was thinking more like the eBay 201950756171 and use the 4 pin SPI connector.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Jerry Gaffke

Excellent!
Even has a touch sensor.

That 4 pin connector off to the right looks promising, could be SPI.
Do they bother to document anything?
I guess you can read the ILI9341 datasheet to figure out how to talk to it.
Still need to get power to it, fiddle with the contrast adjustment somehow, ...

The ebay listing talks vaguely about an STM32, but I doubt it has one.
And says "5V compatible, use with 3.3V or 5V logic",
but then has some fine print saying you need level shifters to use with a 5v processor.
They should claim it's USB and RS232 and ethernet and 20ma current loop compatible as well.

Jerry

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 08:15 am, Kees T wrote:
I was thinking more like the eBay 201950756171 and use the 4 pin SPI connector.

Jerry Gaffke

I guess the backside photo sort of documents it.
Looks like three independent SPI interfaces for the SDcard, the touch screen, and the LCD.
That plus pins for GND, VCC, RESET, D/C, and LED to figure out.
Not too bad.

Banggood has an identical display, product ID of 1206782.
And the same lack of documentation.
They do have a  zip file with some STM32 code as an example.
Unfortunately it expands out to 20 mbytes worth of crap to wade through.

Anybody see better documentation for this thing?

Jerry

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 09:07 am, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
That 4 pin connector off to the right looks promising, could be SPI.
Do they bother to document anything?

Jerry Gaffke

For low volumes, I'd go with adafruit:
    https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-2-8-tft-touch-shield-v2.pdf
Costs money, but is well thought out, and they fully support their products.

Uses the same ILI9341 chip as the cheaper units,
so could make the transition at a later date.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 09:47 am, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Anybody see better documentation for this thing?

DuWayne Schmidlkofer

I have been working on converting to a 2.4" SPI TFT display for a while now, and have most of it finished. You can use 4 of the existing pins that go to the display, but will have to do some level translation for most displays down to a 3.3 v logic level. But that just takes some resistor voltage dividers. I have details on doing conversion on my blog at https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2017/12/ubitx-tft-display-update.html
Still working on some of it, but because of a couple other projects that have a deadline it is running a little slow.

--
DuWayne  KV4QB

Kees T

DuWayne,

That is EXACTLY the type of thing I was talking about. Good for you !

73 Kees K5BCQ

Mike Woods

Already done with software for an Arduino Mega.   See:

73 Mike ZL1AXG ubitx.net

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 8:44 AM, Kees T <windy10605@...> wrote:
DuWayne,

That is EXACTLY the type of thing I was talking about. Good for you !

73 Kees K5BCQ

Kees T

Yes, Mike, that's a very nice implementation and others have done even more, such as using the Teensy 3.6 and will be presenting the details at FDIM this year..... but I was wondering what could be done with the existing Nano or Protoneer.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar

Hello

Have anyone tried with 5 inch touch display also???

Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag

2. mai 2018 kl. 02:37 skrev Kees T <windy10605@...>:

Yes, Mike, that's a very nice implementation and others have done even more, such as using the Teensy 3.6 and will be presenting the details at FDIM this year..... but I was wondering what could be done with the existing Nano or Protoneer.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Jack, W8TEE

I've experimented with both 5" and 7" displays, but not with a Nano. I've done 3.5" and 3.9" with a Mega 2560. None of those are with a touch screen. However, the two larger displays are are touch screens and used with the Teensy 3.6.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 9:04:03 PM EDT, Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar <post@...> wrote:

Hello

Have anyone tried with 5 inch touch display also???

Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag

2. mai 2018 kl. 02:37 skrev Kees T <windy10605@...>:

Yes, Mike, that's a very nice implementation and others have done even more, such as using the Teensy 3.6 and will be presenting the details at FDIM this year..... but I was wondering what could be done with the existing Nano or Protoneer.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar

Hello

So is it possible take VFO data to have a external 5 or 7 inch then??

Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag

2. mai 2018 kl. 04:20 skrev Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...>:

[...]

Yes, but I doubt that a touch screen is going to work with a Nano plus all of the other tasks it's responsible for in the µBITX environment. The Protoneer might work because of its increased memory and clock speed. Its pin count is on par with the Nano, but a long way from the Teensy.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018, 10:33:55 PM EDT, Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar <post@...> wrote:

[...]

I updated my blog with a link to my existing sketch utilizing the TFT display. As I am not interested in CW, I have left as much as possible with out any changes. When I get some other projects finished I will look at some of the updated code to see what I want to modify or add. Only hardware change is a small board with the voltage divider resistors that the TFT display plugs into. From there a cable goes to the existing display connector on the Raduino board.

--
DuWayne  KV4QB

Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar

Hello
Coz i plan to have one mobile rig.

If i can have external display on dashboard :)

Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag

2. mai 2018 kl. 04:43 skrev Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...>:

[...]

K9HZ <bill@...>

I tried this and it’s glitchy because of the resource limitations of the Nano.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

[...]

Bill,

Are you saying it was glitchy with the 5", 7", or 2.8" displays and what does "glitchy" mean ?

I would be interested in CW capability too like some of the K3NG code. He even has a "code reader" and lots of message memories good for contesting. Nothing better than a uBITX for CW, DSP just has too much signal latency.

73 Kees K5BCQ

K9HZ <bill@...>

I think this was directed at me…  Yes what I meant by “glitch” was that the resources of the Nano are really stretched when you throw in a touch screen. My experimentation with the larger format TFT and touch screen resulted in having to touch the screen multiple times in order to get the “touch” to register as an action.  The Nano was not recognizing the touch consistently with the existing library.. so that’s what I meant by “glitch”.