Topics

Please don't make Radiuno with CH340/CH341 chipsets any more! Or at least advertise that you do use them! #radiuno

ab2ts
 

For those Radiuno suppliers that do not know;  Macintosh users have significant trouble with the CH340/CH341 Arduino clones.    

The Chinese vendor that makes that chip has done a very poor job writing drivers for the Macintosh.   Many users report computer crashes and "kernel panics".    The most suggested solution is to bypass an important security feature of the Mac called System Integrity Protection.  This is definitely not recommended and requires some system level hacking that is beyond the average user.   Some users report that the Chinese driver works for them; most do not.   The latest driver from the Chinese (v1.4) does not require the system hack, but it does not connect to the Radiuno for me.  I do still get occasional system crashes when trying to upload.   

Apple supports just about all modern USB devices but it specifically does not provide drivers CH34x devices.  Clearly this is a security issue for them.  My understanding is that the CH34x devices were created to skirt royalties to be paid to the FTDI or Prolific intellectual property holders.  For one reason or another, Apple does not support them.   CURRENTLY (and despite claims to the contrary) THE AVAILABLE 3RD PARTY DRIVERS ARE UNRELIABLE.   

I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

Please no more CH34x chipsets!

Thanks

Mike Woods
 

On 29/04/18 8:34 AM, ab2ts wrote:
I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

This may be a solution:

https://larsbergqvist.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/using-ch340-devices-with-osx/

My CH340 driver was installed on a Mac a few OS versions ago.   I am running the Arduino IDE connecting to various CH340 devices without issue under Mac OS Sierra (I haven't updated to High Sierra for other reasons).

73 Mike ZL1AXG

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Andrew Merrybard
 

Just as an aside. I am having good luck with he drivers for the CH340 (etc) from
mac-usb-serial.com
​.

I went through various patches of failures and crashed as the OS gets updated.
It is a real PIA to solve. I am hoping the mac-usb-serial.com driver is going
to solve this for me.

About 8 euros to buy I think.

They d
​e​
scribe the
​i​
r product as
​ ​
High-end macOS drivers for your PL-2303, CH341
and CP2102 USB to Serial devices
​.

7
​3​

Andrew​

VK6WAM

On 29 April 2018 at 04:49, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
On 29/04/18 8:34 AM, ab2ts wrote:
I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

This may be a solution:

https://larsbergqvist.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/using-ch340-devices-with-osx/

My CH340 driver was installed on a Mac a few OS versions ago.   I am running the Arduino IDE connecting to various CH340 devices without issue under Mac OS Sierra (I haven't updated to High Sierra for other reasons).

73 Mike ZL1AXG

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...




--
A blessing on your days. A blessing on your life. A blessing on the land.

ab2ts
 

It is interesting that the Chinese driver recognizes a CH340 NodeMCU via the Arduino GUI, but it crashes on my CH341 Radiuno.

I am getting quite good at installing and removing the driver kext files.   

I'd rather be programming my Radiuno.

ab2ts
 

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 04:06 pm, Andrew Merrybard wrote:
Just as an aside. I am having good luck with he drivers for the CH340 (etc) from
mac-usb-serial.com
​.
Just the mac-usb-serial drivers,  same problem.  Radiuno fails to upload.   NodeMCU works....

Radiuno continues to work with an antique MacBookPro

ab2ts
 

OK... this fixed it...  Talk about Monkey Wrenches in the machinery.

1)  I deleted the latest version (v1.4) of the Chinese ch341 driver
2)  Restarted
3)  Purchased and installed the mac-usb-serial.com ch341 driver for OS X 10.12
4)  Restarted, debugged and tested for several hours per the mac-usb-serial.com instructions.
5)  As a last hail Mary, I set the options under the Arduino Tools Menu to - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader)
6)  It worked!  I set the Arduino Preferences to Show verbose output during upload.
7)  Restarted and tried again.   It still worked.  

It is interesting that I do not have to select  - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader) on my old MacBookPro to get a good upload.

This is only a temporary fix.   There is an entirely different mac-usb-serial.com driver already released for OS X 10.13.  When I upgrade to 10.13 the current driver will need to be removed and the new one installed.  I expect everything to break again for other future OS updates.

I am still avoiding CH34x chipsets like the plague.   They are very high maintenance if they work at all.   So please no more products with CH34x chipsets!   Mac users everywhere will thank you.  

Thanks to Andrew​ VK6WAM   for the link to mac-usb-serial.com.

73 
AB2TS

Jack Purdum
 

They are very high maintenance if they work at all...on a Mac.

There...fixed.

Jack, W8TEE


On Saturday, April 28, 2018, 11:37:43 PM EDT, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:


OK... this fixed it...  Talk about Monkey Wrenches in the machinery.

1)  I deleted the latest version (v1.4) of the Chinese ch341 driver
2)  Restarted
3)  Purchased and installed the mac-usb-serial.com ch341 driver for OS X 10.12
4)  Restarted, debugged and tested for several hours per the mac-usb-serial.com instructions.
5)  As a last hail Mary, I set the options under the Arduino Tools Menu to - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader)
6)  It worked!  I set the Arduino Preferences to Show verbose output during upload.
7)  Restarted and tried again.   It still worked.  

It is interesting that I do not have to select  - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader) on my old MacBookPro to get a good upload.

This is only a temporary fix.   There is an entirely different mac-usb-serial.com driver already released for OS X 10.13.  When I upgrade to 10.13 the current driver will need to be removed and the new one installed.  I expect everything to break again for other future OS updates.

I am still avoiding CH34x chipsets like the plague.   They are very high maintenance if they work at all.   So please no more products with CH34x chipsets!   Mac users everywhere will thank you.  

Thanks to Andrew​ VK6WAM   for the link to mac-usb-serial.com.

73 
AB2TS

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

Good reason to keep a $50 windows laptop around I guess…

 

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

 

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

 

email:  bill@...

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Purdum via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:47 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Please don't make Radiuno with CH340/CH341 chipsets any more! Or at least advertise that you do use them! #radiuno

 

They are very high maintenance if they work at all...on a Mac.

 

There...fixed.


Jack, W8TEE

 

 

On Saturday, April 28, 2018, 11:37:43 PM EDT, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

 

 

OK... this fixed it...  Talk about Monkey Wrenches in the machinery.


1)  I deleted the latest version (v1.4) of the Chinese ch341 driver
2)  Restarted
3)  Purchased and installed the mac-usb-serial.com ch341 driver for OS X 10.12
4)  Restarted, debugged and tested for several hours per the mac-usb-serial.com instructions.
5)  As a last hail Mary, I set the options under the Arduino Tools Menu to - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader)
6)  It worked!  I set the Arduino Preferences to Show verbose output during upload.
7)  Restarted and tried again.   It still worked.  

It is interesting that I do not have to select  - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader) on my old MacBookPro to get a good upload.

This is only a temporary fix.   There is an entirely different mac-usb-serial.com driver already released for OS X 10.13.  When I upgrade to 10.13 the current driver will need to be removed and the new one installed.  I expect everything to break again for other future OS updates.

I am still avoiding CH34x chipsets like the plague.   They are very high maintenance if they work at all.   So please no more products with CH34x chipsets!   Mac users everywhere will thank you.  

Thanks to 
Andrew​ VK6WAM   for the link to mac-usb-serial.com.

73 
AB2TS


Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jerry Gaffke
 

Most modern linux distributions come with working drivers for the ch340 already installed.
I'm running Xubuntu 14.4 linux, works great. 
A Rasberry Pi 3 B+ under Raspbian should do fine for running the Arduino IDE.



On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 08:56 pm, K9HZ wrote:

Good reason to keep a $50 windows laptop around I guess…

 

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

Suit yourself…

 

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

 

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

 

email:  bill@...

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 11:19 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Please don't make Radiuno with CH340/CH341 chipsets any more! Or at least advertise that you do use them! #radiuno

 

Most modern linux distributions come with working drivers for the ch340 already installed.
I'm running Xubuntu 14.4 linux, works great. 
A Rasberry Pi 3 B+ under Raspbian should do fine for running the Arduino IDE.



On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 08:56 pm, K9HZ wrote:

Good reason to keep a $50 windows laptop around I guess…

 


Virus-free. www.avg.com

AA9GG
 

Interesting.  You guys(Apple users) always said the Apple was "bullet-proof".  I guess there IS a way to "hack attack" an Apple!  I'll stick with my PC. 
Glad you found a "fix" though.....

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 PM, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

For those Radiuno suppliers that do not know;  Macintosh users have significant trouble with the CH340/CH341 Arduino clones.    

The Chinese vendor that makes that chip has done a very poor job writing drivers for the Macintosh.   Many users report computer crashes and "kernel panics".    The most suggested solution is to bypass an important security feature of the Mac called System Integrity Protection.  This is definitely not recommended and requires some system level hacking that is beyond the average user.   Some users report that the Chinese driver works for them; most do not.   The latest driver from the Chinese (v1.4) does not require the system hack, but it does not connect to the Radiuno for me.  I do still get occasional system crashes when trying to upload.   

Apple supports just about all modern USB devices but it specifically does not provide drivers CH34x devices.  Clearly this is a security issue for them.  My understanding is that the CH34x devices were created to skirt royalties to be paid to the FTDI or Prolific intellectual property holders.  For one reason or another, Apple does not support them.   CURRENTLY (and despite claims to the contrary) THE AVAILABLE 3RD PARTY DRIVERS ARE UNRELIABLE.   

I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

Please no more CH34x chipsets!

Thanks




--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.
www.elanengr.com
NAQCC 3123, SKCC 4628

Ashhar Farhan
 

Let me see if i can get hfsignals to change to another chipset. Should the ftdi232 be fine with everybody?
- f

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 09:58 AA9GG, <paul.aa9gg@...> wrote:
Interesting.  You guys(Apple users) always said the Apple was "bullet-proof".  I guess there IS a way to "hack attack" an Apple!  I'll stick with my PC. 
Glad you found a "fix" though.....

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 PM, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

For those Radiuno suppliers that do not know;  Macintosh users have significant trouble with the CH340/CH341 Arduino clones.    

The Chinese vendor that makes that chip has done a very poor job writing drivers for the Macintosh.   Many users report computer crashes and "kernel panics".    The most suggested solution is to bypass an important security feature of the Mac called System Integrity Protection.  This is definitely not recommended and requires some system level hacking that is beyond the average user.   Some users report that the Chinese driver works for them; most do not.   The latest driver from the Chinese (v1.4) does not require the system hack, but it does not connect to the Radiuno for me.  I do still get occasional system crashes when trying to upload.   

Apple supports just about all modern USB devices but it specifically does not provide drivers CH34x devices.  Clearly this is a security issue for them.  My understanding is that the CH34x devices were created to skirt royalties to be paid to the FTDI or Prolific intellectual property holders.  For one reason or another, Apple does not support them.   CURRENTLY (and despite claims to the contrary) THE AVAILABLE 3RD PARTY DRIVERS ARE UNRELIABLE.   

I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

Please no more CH34x chipsets!

Thanks




--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.
www.elanengr.com
NAQCC 3123, SKCC 4628

R. Kuehn
 

What about the CP2102 part from Silicon Labs. They are $1.33 in single quantities from digikey. Official drivers are available from the Silicon Labs website for Windows, OS X, and Linux. I haven't used them personally but it's what I've designed into a personal GPSDO project that is still in the development stages. 
As a mac user I've dealt with some of the CH340 issues, the paid for drivers worked for me in the past. Going forward I'll just use a raspberry pi to program and talk to the CH340 devices if I have to. 

Ralph
N9WTX


On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:55 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Let me see if i can get hfsignals to change to another chipset. Should the ftdi232 be fine with everybody?
- f

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 09:58 AA9GG, <paul.aa9gg@...> wrote:
Interesting.  You guys(Apple users) always said the Apple was "bullet-proof".  I guess there IS a way to "hack attack" an Apple!  I'll stick with my PC. 
Glad you found a "fix" though.....

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 PM, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

For those Radiuno suppliers that do not know;  Macintosh users have significant trouble with the CH340/CH341 Arduino clones.    

The Chinese vendor that makes that chip has done a very poor job writing drivers for the Macintosh.   Many users report computer crashes and "kernel panics".    The most suggested solution is to bypass an important security feature of the Mac called System Integrity Protection.  This is definitely not recommended and requires some system level hacking that is beyond the average user.   Some users report that the Chinese driver works for them; most do not.   The latest driver from the Chinese (v1.4) does not require the system hack, but it does not connect to the Radiuno for me.  I do still get occasional system crashes when trying to upload.   

Apple supports just about all modern USB devices but it specifically does not provide drivers CH34x devices.  Clearly this is a security issue for them.  My understanding is that the CH34x devices were created to skirt royalties to be paid to the FTDI or Prolific intellectual property holders.  For one reason or another, Apple does not support them.   CURRENTLY (and despite claims to the contrary) THE AVAILABLE 3RD PARTY DRIVERS ARE UNRELIABLE.   

I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

Please no more CH34x chipsets!

Thanks




--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.
www.elanengr.com
NAQCC 3123, SKCC 4628


ab2ts
 

My rule #1 is "It does not have to make sense"

In this case there is no explaining why the Chinese can't write a good driver for the ch34x or why Apple will not do the job for them.   It is just the way of the world.

MVS Sarma
 

Farhan jee,
 the FT232 chips are also made in Chaina and they are are problem with working on windows software.
Perhaps call them fake FTDI chips


Regards
MVS Sarma
 

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
Let me see if i can get hfsignals to change to another chipset. Should the ftdi232 be fine with everybody?
- f

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 09:58 AA9GG, <paul.aa9gg@...> wrote:
Interesting.  You guys(Apple users) always said the Apple was "bullet-proof".  I guess there IS a way to "hack attack" an Apple!  I'll stick with my PC. 
Glad you found a "fix" though.....

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 PM, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

For those Radiuno suppliers that do not know;  Macintosh users have significant trouble with the CH340/CH341 Arduino clones.    

The Chinese vendor that makes that chip has done a very poor job writing drivers for the Macintosh.   Many users report computer crashes and "kernel panics".    The most suggested solution is to bypass an important security feature of the Mac called System Integrity Protection.  This is definitely not recommended and requires some system level hacking that is beyond the average user.   Some users report that the Chinese driver works for them; most do not.   The latest driver from the Chinese (v1.4) does not require the system hack, but it does not connect to the Radiuno for me.  I do still get occasional system crashes when trying to upload.   

Apple supports just about all modern USB devices but it specifically does not provide drivers CH34x devices.  Clearly this is a security issue for them.  My understanding is that the CH34x devices were created to skirt royalties to be paid to the FTDI or Prolific intellectual property holders.  For one reason or another, Apple does not support them.   CURRENTLY (and despite claims to the contrary) THE AVAILABLE 3RD PARTY DRIVERS ARE UNRELIABLE.   

I plugged the Radiuno into my Mac and tried to program it with the Arduino GUI and let loose with a few expletives.  I knew immediately what had happened.   I usually do my homework and avoid the CH34x chipsets in my Arduino projects, but Radiuno was not offered in another form and I neglected to check the chipset.    (I still haven't found a spec for Radiuno that says what chipset it uses; clearly it is a CH340.)

 I solved the problem by digging out a very old MacBookPro with an antique OS which does did not have the security feature and did support CH34x chipsets.  While it is slow, it fortunately it runs the latest version of Arduino.   My other alternative would have been to remove the CHxx Arduino Nano and replace it with an FTDI or Prolific PL2303 Arduino Nano...   I may do that yet am not looking forward to it.  

Please no more CH34x chipsets!

Thanks




--
Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.
www.elanengr.com
NAQCC 3123, SKCC 4628


Jerry Gaffke
 

The cheap Nano clones come with a CH340.

If you find a Nano with an FTDI chip for $2, it's likely a clone FTDI chip. 
FTDI is fed up with supporting clones of their chips, have taken defensive measures.
As I recall, some of their drivers disable a clone chip that claims to be an FTDI. 
The genuine FTDI chips work very well, and are what's used on the original Arduino Nano. 

I doubt you can buy a Nano with the CP2102 onboard, 
But I'm sure a CP2102 would work great, I have a lot of faith in SiLabs.
A driver for the CP2102 is included with recent Ubuntu linux distributions,
as are drivers for FTDI and the CH340/CH341.

About 10 posts down into this webpage:  https://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/programming-nano-cp2102
there's a schematic of the Nano.  In that post he describes how and why a CP2102 adapter can
be made to work with the Nano, if that's a path you want to go down.  If it works, you could then try
removing the 12mhz resonator or otherwise disabling the ch340 chip on the Nano clone to reduce a 
possible source of interference into the uBitx.  Though unfortunately that ch340 is on
the inaccessable side of a Nano that has been soldered down to a Raduino.

Since mine's soldered down, I'll just use the ch340 under linux when downloading firmware.
Works great with zero fuss, and like most I'm not having trouble with interference from the Nano
as some in the forum are experiencing:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40038

Jerry, KE7ER



On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:20 pm, R. Kuehn wrote:
What about the CP2102 part from Silicon Labs. They are $1.33 in single quantities from digikey. Official drivers are available from the Silicon Labs website for Windows, OS X, and Linux. I haven't used them personally but it's what I've designed into a personal GPSDO project that is still in the development stages. 
As a mac user I've dealt with some of the CH340 issues, the paid for drivers worked for me in the past. Going forward I'll just use a raspberry pi to program and talk to the CH340 devices if I have to. 
 
Ralph
N9WTX

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

I used the FTDI cable to do it or for the macbook or I run win-XP in a VM (VMware product).
The nice part of using a VM contained machine is it isolates everything from the macOS
while still running MacOS and aps and if the win-XP in VM system gets a virus...I delete
it its only a file, and use a saved copy, less time lost, and good security.  Also with multiple
VMs I can customize each for a specific project such as one for Microchip cpus using their
MPLAB development system and tools.

However I generally do development on linux machines, I have more of tham and they are generally
less headaches for me.

Allison

Dexter N Muir
 

Virtually any RasPi will do that, and most will run software equivalent or better than 'doze stuff for operation.

Paula Bailey-Stine
 

If you find a Nano with an FTDI chip for $2, it's likely a clone FTDI chip. 
FTDI is fed up with supporting clones of their chips, have taken defensive measures.
As I recall, some of their drivers disable a clone chip that claims to be an FTDI. 
The genuine FTDI chips work very well, and are what's used on the original Arduino Nano.
This in a nutshell.

While macOS may have issues with CH340 chips, Windows users tend to have issues with both FTDI and Prolific chips (in both cases, the market was flooded with cheap, cheerful and counterfeit PL2302s and FT232RLs and as a result Prolific and FTDI started locking out chips; even a lot of legit vendors were getting burned by this (most of the programming cables even offered by OEMs for Wouxun and Baofeng hand-helds turned out to be using counterfeit or at least blacklisted PL2032s, and Sparkfun actually got burned on a batch of FTDI chips that turned out to be counterfeit or at least blacklisted).  Apparently there are STILL issues to this day on Win7 and Win10 with the Prolific chips in particular...

Probably the only chipsets that are a) legitimately inexpensive and b) work pretty much gracefully across all platforms seem to be the SiLabs CP2102 (which is honestly what I tend to use anymore with anything requiring a USB-to-serial connection--no issues with blacklisting, works pretty much out-of-the-box across OS's).  If the Raduino does end up redesigned, I'd humbly suggest using CP2102s :D

-KI4QGJ

Jerry Gaffke
 

Could be that the Raduino's processor just gives access to the RX/TX UART pins, no USB chip on board at all.
Then use your choice of FTDI/Prolific/SiLabs in a cable adapter such as this:  
    https://www.banggood.com/CJMCU-CP2102-USB-To-TTLSerial-Module-UART-STC-Downloader-p-970993.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Or just go around the USB chip on the cheap Nano's,
should be trivial to do according to that webpage pointed to in my previous post.

And, should be possible to use D0 and D1 for other stuff when not downloading firmware.
Perhaps a good choice for paddle dot/dash digital inputs.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 09:01 am, Paula Bailey-Stine wrote:

Probably the only chipsets that are a) legitimately inexpensive and b) work pretty much gracefully across all platforms seem to be the SiLabs CP2102 (which is honestly what I tend to use anymore with anything requiring a USB-to-serial connection--no issues with blacklisting, works pretty much out-of-the-box across OS's).  If the Raduino does end up redesigned, I'd humbly suggest using CP2102s :D