Topics

A steal for Arduino Experimenters


Jack, W8TEE
 

I just saw this ad from Banggood for $22:


GM4CID
 

Agree this kit is an excellent starter but, the Uno does not have A6 & A7 ports, the Nano does have A6 & A7.

Also if buying a Nano from China be aware there are two versions, the Nano V3.0 with the ATmega328P processor and the Nano with the ATmega168. The ATmega168 version does not have enough memory to run the various Raduino sketches.


Jack, W8TEE
 

True, the Uno does not have analog pins 6 and 7. Also, the Uno is considerably larger than the Nano, but the advantage is that there are a bazillion "shields" that plug directly into it, which is great if you're just starting out and want to mess around with sensors and stuff.

Also, looking for V3.0 on the Nano does not guarantee you a 328 chip, as some are sold with the 168 chip. (See eBay 391853361854.) Also, you may want to steer clear of the Nano Pro Mini as it does not have the USB connector on it which makes it a little less convenient to program. Finally, if you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, I'd buy 5 at a time, as the price is around $3 each at that quantity.

Jack, W8TEE


On Friday, April 27, 2018, 2:53:16 PM EDT, Robert McClements <gm4cid@...> wrote:


Agree this kit is an excellent starter but, the Uno does not have A6 & A7 ports, the Nano does have A6 & A7.

Also if buying a Nano from China be aware there are two versions, the Nano V3.0 with the ATmega328P processor and the Nano with the ATmega168. The ATmega168 version does not have enough memory to run the various Raduino sketches.


Jerry Gaffke
 

No USB chip (and no 12mhz USB oscillator to interfere with our BFO) on the Nano Pro Mini might be a real plus on the uBitx.


On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:42 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:
Also, you may want to steer clear of the Nano Pro Mini as it does not have the USB connector on it which makes it a little less convenient to program.


Arv Evans
 

I have been playing with the Arduino Pro-mini boards for some time, and Jerry is right.
They are inexpensive and do not have the 12 MHz on-board oscillator.  Programming
is done with an inexpensive USB-TTL adapter that can be removed once the code is

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
No USB chip (and no 12mhz USB oscillator to interfere with our BFO) on the Nano Pro Mini might be a real plus on the uBitx.

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 12:42 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:
Also, you may want to steer clear of the Nano Pro Mini as it does not have the USB connector on it which makes it a little less convenient to program.



DuWayne Schmidlkofer
 

I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter. The existing Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything I wanted to measure. info on my blog at
https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power readings for a SWR/power measurement.


--
DuWayne  KV4QB


K9HZ <bill@...>
 

Care to share the S-meter code?


Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC
Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator
Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ
Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.
Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com
Like us on Facebook!

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email: @Doc_Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of DuWayne Schmidlkofer
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2018 4:52 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] A steal for Arduino Experimenters

I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter. The existing Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything I wanted to measure. info on my blog at
https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power readings for a SWR/power measurement.


--
DuWayne KV4QB




---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com


Arv Evans
 

DuWayne  KV4QB

Love your little 0.96 inch meter faces.  8-)

In doing something similar I used two ADC inputs as DC voltmeters so I could
measure the voltage on either side of a component and subtract the lowest to
show the difference.  This allows for measuring current through a component
that has both ends above ground. 

I am beginning to wonder why someone has not started a line of Arduino assisted
test equipment?  Products could evolve from simple voltmeters to fancy spectrum
analyzers.

Keep up the good work. 

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM, DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...> wrote:
I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter.  The existing Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything I wanted to measure.  info on my blog at
 https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power readings for a SWR/power measurement.


--
DuWayne  KV4QB





John Backo
 

Unfortunately, Jack, the picture shows what appears to be a UNO fake.
Most of the clones use a CH340 USB chip; this appears to use a ATMega16U
like the original UNO , and so is a copyright violation.

It works, but...


john
AD5YE


Tim Gorman
 

DuWayne,

nd6t has a circuit to measure forward and reverse power. I am only
using reverse power because maximum forward power and minimum reverse
power doesn't seem to occur at the same tuning point on my tuner. So I
figured I'd just use the reverse power measurement to minimize any
impact reverse power would have on the ubitx.

Be careful of the forward power measurement. You can easily get over
5volts even with just the ubitx.

I am looking to use an adafruit ADC board with I2C interface so I don't
need a second processor. It's a work in progress.

tim ab0wr

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 17:52:03 -0400
"DuWayne Schmidlkofer" <duwayne@...> wrote:

I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use
as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter. The existing
Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything
I wanted to measure. info on my blog at
https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power
readings for a SWR/power measurement.


Jack, W8TEE
 

I'm not sure what "fake" means in this context, since the Uno design is part of the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 agreement. Simply stated it means you can use the design on your own derived works, in part or completely, as long as you also adopt the same license, which I believe is the case for all clones. Indeed, that license is one of the great things about the Arduino family of boards: they can be, and are, second-sourced, which keeps the prices down.

The CH340 chip is not a problem since the driver is readily available at CH340 Drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux.


Over the years I have purchased dozens of clones and, with one exception, they all worked fine. That one exception had a bug in the bootloader. I reflashed the chips and they, too, were fine. For someone who is just trying to find out if they want to get involved with microcontrollers, clones are an inexpensive way to dip your toes in the pool.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, April 27, 2018, 6:49:48 PM EDT, John Backo <jabac@...> wrote:


Unfortunately, Jack, the picture shows what appears to be a UNO fake.
Most of the clones use a CH340 USB chip; this appears to use a ATMega16U
like the original UNO , and so is a copyright violation.

It works, but...


john
AD5YE



David Wilcox <Djwilcox01@...>
 

Check out the Chat With The Designers site.  Arduino based test gear it the project for 2018.


Get in touch with George.  Your idea sounds like a great addition to the already proposed projects.

Dave K8WPE

On Apr 27, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

DuWayne  KV4QB

Love your little 0.96 inch meter faces.  8-)

In doing something similar I used two ADC inputs as DC voltmeters so I could
measure the voltage on either side of a component and subtract the lowest to
show the difference.  This allows for measuring current through a component
that has both ends above ground. 

I am beginning to wonder why someone has not started a line of Arduino assisted
test equipment?  Products could evolve from simple voltmeters to fancy spectrum
analyzers.

Keep up the good work. 

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM, DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...> wrote:
I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter.  The existing Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything I wanted to measure.  info on my blog at
 https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power readings for a SWR/power measurement.


--
DuWayne  KV4QB





_Dave_ AD0B
 

Thanks for the insight between the different breeds of nano's how inconvenient to use the same name for two different boards. 

When I blew out the nano on the bitx40 I replaced it with a nano that I had here. Am pretty sure that it was the older chip as I bought the least expensive that I could find. 

The Allard files loaded on it. and it seems to work. But it isn't a ubitx.


Arv Evans
 

Dave K8WPE

Thanks for the information.  I will keep watching that group to see what they are doing.

https://www.cwtd.org/

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io <Djwilcox01@...> wrote:
Check out the Chat With The Designers site.  Arduino based test gear it the project for 2018.


Get in touch with George.  Your idea sounds like a great addition to the already proposed projects.

Dave K8WPE

On Apr 27, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

DuWayne  KV4QB

Love your little 0.96 inch meter faces.  8-)

In doing something similar I used two ADC inputs as DC voltmeters so I could
measure the voltage on either side of a component and subtract the lowest to
show the difference.  This allows for measuring current through a component
that has both ends above ground. 

I am beginning to wonder why someone has not started a line of Arduino assisted
test equipment?  Products could evolve from simple voltmeters to fancy spectrum
analyzers.

Keep up the good work. 

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM, DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...> wrote:
I have been playing with a Pro Mini and a small OLED display to use as a stand alone replacement for a analog meter.  The existing Raduino does not have enough analog input pins to provide everything I wanted to measure.  info on my blog at
 https://kv4qb.blogspot.com/2018/04/stand-alone-simulated-analog-meter.html
Still working on a small board to provide forward and reflected power readings for a SWR/power measurement.


--
DuWayne  KV4QB






GM4CID
 

This is a board from eBay that I find very useful when trying out various projects using the Nano.
Nano plugs in and there is access to every port pin and adjacent to each a 0V and 5V connection point.

eBay search  Nano I / O Expansion sensor Shield Module For Arduino UNO R3 Nano V3.0


Dennis Zabawa
 

The description on-line specs it for 3.3V boards.  Is the one you are referring to different?


Arv Evans
 

Robert

Already have two of these boards.  They are very convenient for the experimenter. 
Just be extra careful that you don't inadvertently connect ground or Vcc to where if
is not appropriate. 

Arv
_._


On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Robert McClements <gm4cid@...> wrote:
This is a board from eBay that I find very useful when trying out various projects using the Nano.
Nano plugs in and there is access to every port pin and adjacent to each a 0V and 5V connection point.

eBay search  Nano I / O Expansion sensor Shield Module For Arduino UNO R3 Nano V3.0



John Backo
 

These are Nano expansion boards.
It doesn't really matter what voltage is used
(2.2v or 5v) as long as the proper range is
observed; i.e., V+ is V+ and GND is GND.
Note that the voltage on the pins is usually that
supplied by the mCu, but check it with a DVM
to be sure.

The only real criterion is what is the Nano used.
Be sure it matches your supply voltage.

You can also use them for the Arduino Minis provided
you have a separate USB (card or cable) and observe
the slightly different pinout.

This kind of breakout board is also available for the UNO.

john
AD5YE


AGØH
 

I ordered and received the Basic Starter Kit from Bangood.  The kit, however, has no 'help' manual but a later post included a web address from Bangood to send for the free PDF starter guide.  That link did not work.  I wrote Bangood and, after two requests, received a 75mb zipped file.  I tried to unzip it and was given the message that the file couldn't be unzipped as it was corrupted.
Several requests to Bangood to send re-send the file have fallen on deaf ears.
So......has anyone received the PDF that could forward me a copy?  It would be greatly appreciated as this nubee needs all the help he can get in experimenting with the Arduino. 

Thanks,
Keith AGØH


Lee
 

May I suggest you buy "Beginning C for Arduino, Second Edition" by Jack Purdum. He is a member of this group.  I learned a lot from it.  I found mine on Amazon.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"