Topics

UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx

R. E. Klaus

Back in the 70's, some CB radio manufacturers used a diode in series with the power and it worked well. A couple brands used a bridge rectifier setup in the input power that way it didn't matter which way you connected to power.
Roxie -- K1AUS

Lee

For reverse polarity protection I put a 5 amp rectifier in series  from the positive of the power jack and then to both fuses.   No relay or extra parts needed.  Sure I have a .7 volt drop but I do not think the loss would be noticed to the ear on the receiving end.  There is a lot more loss in just changing bands.
--
      Lee - N9LO

"I Void Warranties"

Paul Galburt - K2AYZ

Very nice documentation.

Does raise a sort loosely related question. If the switch bridging the PA power to the general power is opened, how does the user control PA power. Does it matter if PA power is on all of the time?

The PA power could be controlled by using a 2-pole switch, which has other advantages.

Thanks,

Paul - K2AYZ

MAX <max@...>

That’s the best one yet.

Regards.

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Date: Sunday, May 13, 2018, 8:35 PM

I updated the Assembly page with
pictures, no making fun of my soldering. ;-)

could use help with two things as I did not do a vanilla
installation of these two.
1. The microphone
2. The Keyer

If you did a no-modification
build, please snap some pics and post them or send them to
me and I'll do it.

Thanks!
W7PEA

W7PEA

Hey Bo,

According to all drawings and the HFSignals wireup page:

  • Tip is Mic
  • Ring is PTT
I hope that helps

Bo Barry

Can you verify that the orange PTT goes to the sleeve? It is shown to the tip on the Randino schematic I found
Bo W4GHV

W7PEA

I updated the Assembly page with pictures, no making fun of my soldering. ;-)

I could use help with two things as I did not do a vanilla installation of these two.
1. The microphone
2. The Keyer

If you did a no-modification build, please snap some pics and post them or send them to me and I'll do it.

Thanks!
W7PEA

Jim Sheldon

I checked against the schematic V3 and measured from the audio connector's pins to the proper points on the components.  The volume control wiring in your diagram is wrong.  The green wire IS ground and connected to the proper point on the volume control as shown.  The yellow and orange wires are switched.  the pins of the connector from left to right as viewed from the front of the board are (verified with an ohm meter)
1 = microphone input - Purple wire
2 = microphone ground - Blue wire
3 = volume control ground - Green wire
4 = volume control high - Orange wire
5 = volume control mid (center) - Yellow wire
6 = ground - Red wire
7 = speaker high - Brown wire
8 = ground - Black wire

I have all of HF Signals version except Version 4.  The above wiring is correct and unchanged on the 3 version 1 boards I have 116/1, 212/1, 324/1, 933/2 and now 133/5.  I don't have either version 3 or version 4 boards but I hardly think the wiring to the audio plug would have changed for those 2 versions and then changed back in version 5.

The "Wiring Up" diagram that's currently on the HF Signals website has recently been changed and appears to be correct with respect to both the CW Jack and the Audio Plug.

Jim - W0EB

w4rjp

Patrick:   Attached is a PNG of the wire-up.  Hopefully this will work with WiKi.

73, Bob W4RJP

Mark:  The diode placement was from HF Signals information.   Not necessarily my particular favorite, either.

KE6BB

Really nice schematic, Bob.

It may be of interest to some that the position of the diodes relative to the fuses as shown does not provide reverse current protection unless your power supplies or power cords are also fused.  The diodes must be on the radio side of the fuses, not the power supply side.  As shown, they WILL provide some measure of high SWR protection.  Just how much high SWR protection is probably beyond topic to this thread.

Thank you for taking the time to make the schematic and for sharing it with us.  BTW, I just received my uBitX last week, and this is my first post.

--
Mark,
KE6BB

Jonathan

Thanks Bob!  The "N/C" meaning "Normally Closed" makes sense.  Should have realized it myself!

-Jonathan

w4rjp

Thanks to everyone for their accolades. Glad most find the wiring diagram of value.

Patrick:  The original file is a CAD DWG. Writing it out as a PNG should be doable. Having it live on your Wiki with others contributing versions for the various sketches and mods would be outstanding.  I'll post a PNG version for you.

Jonathan: The dotted line in the jacks was a way to show a connection between the N/C (normally closed) pins.  Once a 3.5mm plug is inserted the N/C connections open.

Finally thanks to all who found errors in the original HF Signals schematic and wire-up.  Bringing those to the attention of the group made the process of creating the diagram much easier.

73, Bob W4RJP

a.vision

Normally closed ?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.