Topics

before purchase #ubitx and Signalink USB #ubitx

Bernhard

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx transeiver.
What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a signalink-usb with the ubitx.
Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

ekelley

You might try easydigi eBay

On 4/15/2018 5:03 AM, bv@... wrote:
Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx transeiver.
What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a signalink-usb with the ubitx.
Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>

It really isn't needed.  A direct USB connection for controlling the ubitX as an FT817 and two audio cables to your PC should be all you need.  That's what I do.

Ron W7HD

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Tim Gorman

I got an unterminated cable from Signalink.

Two leads to the speaker jack. Three leads to the 4-pin mic connector,
mic, ground, PTT.

Seems to work ok.

tim ab0wr

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 03:03:42 -0700
bv@... wrote:

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx
transeiver. What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a
signalink-usb with the ubitx. Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

yes, that's the way to do it --- you can also take a standard ethernet cable (shielded if you can find it) and cut it in half, put the appropriate mic / speaker / ptt connectors on it and you're good.

I bought a crimper to do it myself since our entire ARES group is doing digital. We've made a dozen or more cables, far ffar cheaper than the commercial things.

Don't forget a ferrite or two, or put in some "loops" and tie-wrap to keep them there. common mode inductance!

Gordon

bv@... wrote:

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx
transeiver. What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a
signalink-usb with the ubitx. Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

K9HZ <bill@...>

You know, you digital guys should make up a nice diagram and a write up on
how to connect up some of this stuff for the uBITx.net site to share the
knowledge. I'm just a dumb hardware guy so I need the look up stuff like
that.

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC
Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator
Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ
Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.
Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com
Like us on Facebook!

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

bv@... wrote:

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx
transeiver. What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a
signalink-usb with the ubitx. Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

---
http://www.avg.com

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

bv@... wrote:

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx
transeiver. What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a
signalink-usb with the ubitx. Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

---
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.avg.com&d=DwIFAw&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=3ELgZgmTnPzGsfvQxkd1S_2NGLYM8sHTxVCQKFxhVXQ&m=RIvhrIpqt7q2lgIiQMbzRHTZnwmi86Qw2N0VxsULXKY&s=49Y_MGKUzNeLll_5srCqDt8bkkKnJoTP4uUsID8KYpQ&e=

David <k6dma@...>

A lot of BitX,  kits and QRP is seat of the pants,  learning and figuring things out.

A BitX may not be the best starter project.

David. K6DMA

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx transeiver.
What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a signalink-usb with the ubitx.
Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

Rob Snow

EasyDigi is my recommendation.  The kit is $8.95 on eBay or you can build your own.  Here is the diagram for what we need (we have CAT control, we don't need PTT through the audio lines)

I soldered one up in about 15 minutes for my uBITX, but I had the parts laying around from having built a trial-and-error EasyDigi with PTT before I knew the EasyDigi existed (doh!) for my Direwolf APRS digipeater on RPi and Baofeng.

I also buy the TRS cables from Amazon in the bundles and then split them and attach to the EasyDigi, 2 cables = 1 complete interface.  These are the latest ones I used with decent wire inside were these: http://a.co/501h0n9

I'll attach a completed pic of my interface for my uBITX that I just soldered up for those of you, who like me, who need to see it.

73 Rob AG5OV

Rob Snow

And...I just realized I soldered it up wrong, the cap isn't series before the resistor, but parallel the way I soldered it up...hmm, something else to make right.  It's been working fine for 2 weeks and something like 600+ FT8 contacts as is, so there is some leeway in there. :-)

73 Rob AG5OV

Terry Morris

Bernhard,
I don't know if there is a tutorial explaining how to connect a signal link-USB to a uBitX. Sorry OM.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH  USA
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905
OSs: LM18.2 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04, tahrPup64 64bit, Raspian
Orgs: PCL70-FOP, NTHS, ALUG, ARRL, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, NO-QRP-C, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195, USN 1965-1969 AG3

I chair the PCARS CW/QRP SIG and Linux for Hams SIG, second and fifth Tuesday

my computer, my opinion

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM, David <k6dma@...> wrote:
A lot of BitX,  kits and QRP is seat of the pants,  learning and figuring things out.

A BitX may not be the best starter project.

David. K6DMA

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx transeiver.
What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a signalink-usb with the ubitx.
Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Well, I didn’t know there was a need for a tutorial!

So let’s make one right here.
The easydigi route is cheaper than the signal link however the same idea works.  This is basic point to point wiring for the most part, but it’s great practice for new hams to understand how signals coming in and out of their transceivers work.

You’re going to need to have the speaker output from the bitx, so find a way to get a wire coming out from a speaker output (we will call it SPEAKER) and GROUND.

you’re going to also need a wire to the microphone input of the BITX, call that MIC

finally you’re going to need a wire to the push to talk of the bitx and we will call that PTT

Now go buy a short Ethernet (modular plugs, 8 contacts on each) Cable, maybe 5 feet long, if you get the chance, use cat five, because it will have a shield/ground wire.

Cut off one of the modular plugs, & bring out the fancy colored wires.

Make the following connections:

GROUND from bitx connects  to the solid orange wire AND to the shield wire if there is one

PTT from bitx Connects to the green white wire

MIC from bitx connects to the orange-white wire

SPEAKER connects to the blue-white wire.

All the other brightly colored wires from the ethernet goes nowhere.

You have now successfully wired up a interconnection wire, that would cost you about $20 to buy commercial. If you have any ferrite chaperones, but a couple on this anywhere you like, and then put three loops 3” in diameter also, and secure those loops with some zip tie or some tape.  The loops work the same as the ferrites, they are both creating common mode inductance to stop unwanted RF current flowing on these wires.

The remaining task is to properly install the jumpers on the internal connection block inside the signal link.  This is actually very easy. Using a hexagonal “Allen “ wrench, disassemble the signalink so you can get it in the circuitboard.

Find a little dual in line (DIP)socket towards the rear where the jumpers go.

Make the jumper configuration look like this:

MIC goes to pin one
GND goes to pin 2
PTT goes to pin 3
SPEAKER goes to pin 5.

Notice that we skipped pin 4.   Don’t wire  any of the PWR wires to go anywhere. We don’t need them.

That’s it! You’re done! Signal link is now configured, and interconnection cable is now built.  Maybe 10 to 30 minutes worth of work depending on your familiarity.

So that you will know, the connection set up that you just did for the signalink will now work with a whole host of commercial cables that are intended for the very popular six pin DIN interface used on almost all recent vintage ICOM YAESU, Kenwood transceivers.  it will also work with the commercially available cable to go to the baofeng s.    Not a bad choice huh ?

With a bit of a grin, we call it the Alachua County ARES standard.  and we wire all of our signal links or signalink replacements, exact same way, so everyone can use each other‘s equipment as long as they have a cable built for their radio.

On Apr 16, 2018, at 21:04, Terry Morris <terry.kb8amz@...> wrote:

[...]

Also, what Ron said about just wiring direct audio connections, then using  CAT control to do the push to talk should also work.   I sort of like having some transformers in between,  and some external volume controls but to each his own.

In the previous tutorial, Siri added “chaperones” after the ferrites, but that was not intended.

If you’re going to use cat control to the nano, I would recommend shielding that as well as possible and a lot of ferrites ....  i’ve had a lot of trouble with radio frequency interference to that connection.

I’m fairly busy, so I haven’t gotten to use my bitx40 & uBitx ‘s as much as I would like, but many WINLINK connections with it.

On Apr 17, 2018, at 07:37, Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:

[...]

Carlos E. Wenzel <Ik2yra@...>

you don't need it,...... connect directly as ft817 (emulate it)
73
carlos

Hi

my first posting in this group.

I just made my licence and I'm thinking about buying the ubitx transeiver.
What I didn't find is a tutorial to install a signalink-usb with the ubitx.
Is there any and I didn't find it?
Thanks for support.

73, Bernhard, HB3XPN

--