Topics

uBITX - Aligning the master clock

Elliott J Olson

The instructions say to tune to a known broadcast station to
calibrate the clock. (How far off can the clock be from the factory?)
What is the minimum frequency receivable with the factory firmware? I
can't seem to get it below 1000KHz (tuning gets really erratic
somewhere below 2000KHz, going down enough it skips way up in
displayed frequency). Our local station is 1410 transmitting from
35 miles away, so it should be usable.

Not having any outdoor antenna yet, I'm trying some indoor solutions.
Attaching a 3' wire, I get a rise in the receiver noise, no signals
received yet of course. Connecting the other end of that wire to an
old AN-29-C telescoping military whip (at least 10') laying horizontal
jumps the noise even more. Should I be concerned that I am still not
hearing the local station (just receivable on another radio with
ferrite rod antenna) or do I still need to string up an outdoor wire?
(No steel in the walls to shield signals under the ground-bonded steel
roof like in my uncle's stucco house.)

--
Best regards,
Elliott mailto:@n0ukf

Skip Davis

Elliott , the instructions are not referring to AM broadcast band. They are referring to SW broadcast, WWV, or CHU. If you are using the stock software there is a upper and lower frequency limit built into it. And the lower limit is 3 MHz.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Apr 15, 2018, at 03:45, Elliott J Olson <@n0ukf> wrote:

Elliott

Elliott J Olson

If the stock software has a lower limit of 3MHz, why does it go down to 1, then the next step down jumps up to 9MHz area, then continuing downward more jumps from 1 again up to 42?

I've tried finding WWV on 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. Until I can get something strung up outside (still snow and ice out there), what other broadcasts should be heard strong in the upper midwest (day or night) between 3 and 30? 2-3 nights ago I also did not hear some local chatter yet that was going on 80m. The only beat frequencies I've been able to hear so far are local "birdies" around the house and within the uBITX itself (pull the antenna and SOME of them vanish).

On 2018-04-15 08:37, Skip Davis via Groups.Io wrote:
Elliott , the instructions are not referring to AM broadcast band.
They are referring to SW broadcast, WWV, or CHU. If you are using the
stock software there is a upper and lower frequency limit built into
it. And the lower limit is 3 MHz.
Skip Davis, NC9O

Tim Gorman

Frankly I've never had much luck trying to align against an AM signal.

I've just always done it against SSB nets on 80m and 40m. Usually the
net control is pretty darn close to being on frequency. It may not be
down to the last hz but it seems to be good enough for SSB and CW work!

tim ab0wr

On 2018-04-15 08:37, Skip Davis via Groups.Io wrote:
Elliott , the instructions are not referring to AM broadcast band.
They are referring to SW broadcast, WWV, or CHU. If you are using
the stock software there is a upper and lower frequency limit built
into it. And the lower limit is 3 MHz.

Skip Davis, NC9O

Skip Davis

You could try the Religious station on 7.335MHz they are strong at night but you may find you uBITX is very close out of the box, that is unless you already tried to calibrate it. Then just reload the software and that should bring things back to default.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On 2018-04-15 08:37, Skip Davis via Groups.Io wrote:
Elliott , the instructions are not referring to AM broadcast band.
They are referring to SW broadcast, WWV, or CHU. If you are using
the stock software there is a upper and lower frequency limit built
into it. And the lower limit is 3 MHz.

Skip Davis, NC9O

Ronald Payne <wb5klj@...>

Instead of using an AM broadcast station, try using WWV at 5, 10 or 15 Mhz

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:45 AM, Elliott J Olson <ejolson@...> wrote:
[...]

 Elliott                          mailto:ejolson@...

tituskz1g@...

Looks like the software has a bug.  I experienced the same thing during the alignment.  The display shows, say 1.080.00 (1080 on the AM dial). When I tune to a lower frequency, the frequency should drop to 0.900.00 (900 on the AM dial).  Instead it shows 9.000.000.  It would be best to show 900.000. This bug will confuse people just as it did you and me.  I'd like the option to change periods to commas or vice versa in the setup menu.  The world uses the comma more than the period.
--
Jon Titus, KZ1G
Herriman, UT USA