Topics

Newbie questions...

Gerry Hull

Hey All,

Not a new ham (45 years in the game), but a new uBitX buyer.
I just ordered on Friday the 13th.  Other than my palpal receipt, should I expect anything about shipping confirmation?  No other emails received.

I'm a software guy, so some interest in tweaking the firmware.   I know that there has been some CAT stuff done with the FT-817 Protocol.  I happen to do a lot of remote operation and have an Elecraft K3/0 -- the full-size K3 with no RF in it.   It's just a nice front panel with RS-232 that you connect to a remote K3.  It would be great to implement the K3 protocol, so I could use the front panel.   I could use Digital potentiometers for the pots on the board.   I could even mount the uBitx inside the K3/0.

Looking forward to experimentation and lots of QSOs.

73,

Gerry W1VE / VE1RM / VY1AAA

Lee

You will get another PayPal email when it it shipped.   Currently shipping orders from March 17th,   A good site that also has shipping info is http://ubitx.net/

ajparent1/kb1gmx

>>  It would be great to implement the K3 protocol, so I could use the front panel.   I could use Digital potentiometers for the pots on the board.

Using the K3 digital pots means the uBitx would have to have the mechanical pots replaced with digital driven ICs.  That would
be limited to mic gain and rx audio gain.  Doable but not trivial.  Same for other features that require hardware not implemented
in the ubitx.  However if the Radiono controls it you can implement a protocol to do it from whatever hardware you want to use.

>> I could even mount the uBitx inside the K3/0.<<

Space permitting, you may need more power too.

You may look at Andy's, KB1OIQ work for ideas not mentioned here.

Allison

Gerry Hull

Thanks.  Yes, I realize the digital pot work..  should not be too hard and the parts are cheap.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:47 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
>>  It would be great to implement the K3 protocol, so I could use the front panel.   I could use Digital potentiometers for the pots on the board.

Using the K3 digital pots means the uBitx would have to have the mechanical pots replaced with digital driven ICs.  That would
be limited to mic gain and rx audio gain.  Doable but not trivial.  Same for other features that require hardware not implemented
in the ubitx.  However if the Radiono controls it you can implement a protocol to do it from whatever hardware you want to use.

>> I could even mount the uBitx inside the K3/0.<<

Space permitting, you may need more power too.
12v power is external.  I have some 2 and 432 to 10m transverters I could throw I;as well

You may look at Andy's, KB1OIQ work for ideas not mentioned here.
Excellent.

Gerry.

Allison

K9HZ <bill@...>

I think where Allison was going is that these electronic pots usually have a bandwidth that falls in the 10Hz-500KHz plus or minus so they will be limited to use in the audio section.  There may be some good reasons to use them in the audio chains though where you can create presets for different band-modes.  That could be slick.  As for things like drive level… no go.  There are some video range digital pots that might work there, but then can be very pricy.  For simple controllable voltage ranges… of course a simple Op amp amplifier off an analog pin of the Arduino is more than adequate.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

Thanks.  Yes, I realize the digital pot work..  should not be too hard and the parts are cheap.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:47 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

>>  It would be great to implement the K3 protocol, so I could use the front panel.   I could use Digital potentiometers for the pots on the board.

Using the K3 digital pots means the uBitx would have to have the mechanical pots replaced with digital driven ICs.  That would
be limited to mic gain and rx audio gain.  Doable but not trivial.  Same for other features that require hardware not implemented
in the ubitx.  However if the Radiono controls it you can implement a protocol to do it from whatever hardware you want to use.

>> I could even mount the uBitx inside the K3/0.<<

Space permitting, you may need more power too.

12v power is external.  I have some 2 and 432 to 10m transverters I could throw I;as well

You may look at Andy's, KB1OIQ work for ideas not mentioned here.

Excellent.

Gerry.

Allison

Gerry Hull

Thanks Bill.  I’ll keep that in mind.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 8:01 PM K9HZ <bill@...> wrote:

I think where Allison was going is that these electronic pots usually have a bandwidth that falls in the 10Hz-500KHz plus or minus so they will be limited to use in the audio section.  There may be some good reasons to use them in the audio chains though where you can create presets for different band-modes.  That could be slick.  As for things like drive level… no go.  There are some video range digital pots that might work there, but then can be very pricy.  For simple controllable voltage ranges… of course a simple Op amp amplifier off an analog pin of the Arduino is more than adequate.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

Thanks.  Yes, I realize the digital pot work..  should not be too hard and the parts are cheap.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:47 PM ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

>>  It would be great to implement the K3 protocol, so I could use the front panel.   I could use Digital potentiometers for the pots on the board.

Using the K3 digital pots means the uBitx would have to have the mechanical pots replaced with digital driven ICs.  That would
be limited to mic gain and rx audio gain.  Doable but not trivial.  Same for other features that require hardware not implemented
in the ubitx.  However if the Radiono controls it you can implement a protocol to do it from whatever hardware you want to use.

>> I could even mount the uBitx inside the K3/0.<<

Space permitting, you may need more power too.

12v power is external.  I have some 2 and 432 to 10m transverters I could throw I;as well

You may look at Andy's, KB1OIQ work for ideas not mentioned here.

Excellent.

Gerry.

Allison

K5ESS

As mentioned you get an email from Paypal when it ships.  I had mine shipped DHL and got a phone call from them the day before my Paypal notification of shipment.  Haven’t heard anyone else say they got a phone call from DHL.  Maybe I’m just special ;-)

Mike

K5ESS