Topics

KB1OIQ: uBITX for visually impaired ham radio operators

kb1oiq@...

Hi Everybody,

I've made many modifications to my uBITX to make it accessible to visually impaired ham radio operators.  I've also "field tested" the breadboarded prototype with a local ham radio operator who is blind, and I received great feedback from him.  The main differences are the addition of a keypad and a voice synthesis module, plus major refactoring and modification of the original sketch from VU2ESE.

I documented everything with the intention that others could easily reproduce this variation of the uBITX.  It is my hope that folks will take this work and build one for a local ham who is blind.

The hardware modifications, my heavily modified Arduino sketch, plus photos, videos, and a user's guide, can all be found on Sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-ham-radio-projects/files/ubitx/

The software is done, unless bugs are found.  There are only about 400 bytes of program memory available.

My next step is to mount this into a "real" enclosure.  I'm just starting to build enclosure mock-ups.

I'm also evaluating existing circuits for "speaker pop" and AGC, and better heat sinking of the IRF510s.

I'm interested in hearing from anybody who attempts to build this variation of the uBITX.

Enjoy!

73 de Andy
KB1OIQ

walt hodges

Congratulations on your efforts.

73 de walt

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 1:41 PM, <kb1oiq@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, sir!

73,

Andy
KB1OIQ

Leland Lannoye

I have serious visual issues such as color blindness and limited depth perception.  I am not visually blind, although I am only about 50 points above legal blindness in my left eye (20/150).  I would be very happy to promote and spread this Ubitx and get it in the hands of a few friends of mine who ARE totally blind.

Lee, WA9AOE

On 04/14/18 14:41, kb1oiq@... wrote:

[...]

Buddy Brannan

Hi Andy,

I, too, am interested, as we discussed briefly on Facebook. Will be following with interest, especially as you find useful/effective mods and such.

Vy 73,

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962

On Apr 14, 2018, at 2:41 PM, kb1oiq@... wrote:

[...]

MVS Sarma

Congrats Andy, It is a genuined need and appreciate your sincere effort.

Like wise i also look forward for other differently abled persons' needs.
 Hopw sooner some one would come up for others too.
regards
sarma
 vu3zmv

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:11 AM, <kb1oiq@...> wrote:

[...]

freefuel@...

may I ask why morse code was not used for the feedback?

-Justin N2TOH

Buddy Brannan

It could be easily, and I'd welcome such a feedback mechanism. However, of course this wouldn't be useful to those who don't know morse. This would be a pretty inexpensive optionas well, and I'm pretty sure (though not entirely sure) it could be implemented fairly easily. I'd love to see it myself; my KX3 has the morse readout enabled at about 35 wpm...same with the KRC2-ACC on my K2/100. But when you bring up the morse option in a group of blind hams, you'll get some who applaud the effort, and a bunch more that ask why it doesn't talk. Proving once again you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I should really get one of these kits, get someone to help me build it, then learn something about how the programming works. ...

--

On Apr 15, 2018, at 11:53 AM, freefuel@... wrote:

may I ask why morse code was not used for the feedback?

-Justin N2TOH

kb1oiq@...

Hi Justin: It didn't occur to me to use morse code for the feedback, and also, not everybody knows morse code.  That said, not everybody understands English either. :-)

I agree that it would be easy to implement.  I chose a different path for no particular reason except that I thought it would be cool.

73,

Andy
KB1OIQ