Topics

Arduino For Idiots?

Stephen Wandling

If and when I get a uBITX, will Google Translator be able to help me with emails, like the one below, for example? 😉 Or will I have to find a course at my local college?

I do value learning. So if there is an Arduino For Idiots site, please point the way. Tnx.

72
Stephen
VE7NSD

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 7:32 AM Daniel Crane, <danjamitch@...> wrote:
Thanks everybody.  I think I have it.  My Raduino powerup reveals it has version 1.27.7

The problem was that Nano is indeed listening at 57600, whereas Arduino Web Editor is telling avrdude to use 115200.

From the console:
Flashing with command:C:/path-to/avrdude.exe -CC:/path-to/avrdude.conf -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:/path-to/raduino_v1.27.7.hex:i

avrdude.conf specifies (wrong) 115200, which is overridden by the -b in the command above to (also wrong) 115200

In Arduino Web editor, you choose among ATmega versions in the box next to the upload arrow.  Both Atmega832 and ATmegaa832old choices result in -b115200.

So I ran the command in a Windows terminal, correcting the -b to 57600 before hitting enter.

And that worked.

Whew!

Dan
KM6GRV

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 7:08 PM, n0bhc via Groups.Io <n0bhc@...> wrote:
I stumbled across a solution to a similar upload problem with an order or 5 Nanos this week.

This batch of Nanos used the CH340 USB chip and I was certain the USB driver was correct.  (I even checked it out!)

I found there has been a recent change in the Arduino IDE (sometime during March '18) and to program new "old" Nanos you have to select "ATmega328P (OldBootloader)" from the "Tools - Processor:"  Menu.  This uploaded to the new batch of Nanos just like before.

I don't want to confuse things but maybe this will save some head scratching time :-)

Bob N0BHC

In a message dated 3/28/2018 10:57:10 PM Central Standard Time, danjamitch@... writes:

My serial monitor is set for 9600 bps.  And it works -
*Raduino booting up
v0.01

cal: -1

*Initiliazed Si5351

*Fixed PLL

*Output enabled PLL

*Si5350 ON
... across the same USB cable that doesn't upload.  When I set COM4 for 57600 I get gibbberish.

That says to me that the Nano UART wants to talk at 9600.  I don't see why it would want to use 9600 for the monitor and some other speed for upload.

There's not, perchance, some secret write protect feature in Raduino, is there?

Dan

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 8:30 PM, w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

In the Sketch editor under Tools (with the board plugged in), you will see a selection called Serial Monitor.  Click on that to see the correct serial port baud rate (57600).  Also, if you look at the nano board during the upload (look between the two boards) you should see TWO red LEDs flashing during the upload, then only one is lit when it completes.

Ron W7HD

On 03/28/2018 08:00 PM, Daniel Crane wrote:
I think you're right, Tim.  It's acting a lot like a serial port with the wrong start/stop/data bits or speed.  The Online Editor has a preferences pane, but it doesn't have anything to say about serial port config.
Wait!!!  I think I've found it.  In Device Manager.
Dan

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:
Is your com port set to the same baud rate as the nano?

I don't know what the default baud rate on the nano is but I'll be
someone on here does. I've not used the Online Editor but does it have
an option somewhere for baud rate?

tim ab0wr

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 18:28:18 -0700

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Daniel Crane

It's not supposed to be that hard.  I think I am the only one here trying to use Arduino Web Editor.  A more experienced user could probably tell me where I missed a button that avoids the problem.

But the great thing about this forum is that there are guys who may benefit from my post.
Dan

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Stephen Wandling <swandling@...> wrote:
If and when I get a uBITX, will Google Translator be able to help me with emails, like the one below, for example? 😉 Or will I have to find a course at my local college?

I do value learning. So if there is an Arduino For Idiots site, please point the way. Tnx.

72
Stephen
VE7NSD

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 7:32 AM Daniel Crane, <danjamitch@...> wrote:
Thanks everybody.  I think I have it.  My Raduino powerup reveals it has version 1.27.7

The problem was that Nano is indeed listening at 57600, whereas Arduino Web Editor is telling avrdude to use 115200.

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Stephen Wandling

I should have said I chose your post randomly. And it speaks to my ignorance that I did not realize you were doing something different than the other firmware hackers here.

I have noted (I think) that even folks who go to Git Hub and download some firmware have issues/problems in implementing it.

And yes, I sense the help level here is as high as it is on other AR forums.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 8:10 AM Daniel Crane, <danjamitch@...> wrote:
[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Ashhar Farhan

We have Jack Purdum here who wrote the most approchable book on Arduinos.

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 20:58 Stephen Wandling, <swandling@...> wrote:
[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Fr Richard R <rickocr2005@...>

Ashhar,
How do we get the book?

Fr Richard
WB8YXF

On Mar 31, 2018, at 11:30, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Arv Evans

I may be wrong but it seems from recent posts that most who use the Arduino IDE are using
the local version instead of the web or cloud based IDE.  Using the locally installed IDE gives
the impression of more and easier control over configuration and results.  It also lets the user
look at more information which results from a build and install exercise.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

Arv
_._

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM, Stephen Wandling <swandling@...> wrote:
[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

K9HZ <bill@...>

Amazon

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Mar 31, 2018, at 10:33 AM, Fr Richard R via Groups.Io <rickocr2005@...> wrote:

[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Roy Appleton

You can get it here. . .

Roy
WA0YMH

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 10:33 AM Fr Richard R via Groups.Io <rickocr2005=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Stephen Wandling

Ashar, thank you for the reply. I look forward to learning more about this book.

Stephen
VE7NSD

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018, 8:30 AM Ashhar Farhan, <farhanbox@...> wrote:
[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Fr Richard R <rickocr2005@...>

Thanks

Fr Richard

On Mar 31, 2018, at 11:45, Roy Appleton <twelveoclockhigh@...> wrote:

[...]

From the console:

--
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

ajparent1 <kb1gmx@...>

Jack Purdum

Also the O'Reily Michael Margolis book The Arduino Cookbook.

Get the book, read the book, do the experiments.
Also Google Arduino programming...

If all else remember this computers are devices that follow instructions explicitly.
which means if you tell it to jump off a bridge, don't get between it and the bridge.
I hope that help one remember they are literal devices that follow long series of
instructions and do not always know your intent only what was written, write carefully.

Personally I like to use the local IDE on my linux box.  Its a fairly concise tool but
how to drive it requires one to understand the Arduino Dictionary.  An example
what most programmers call a program to arduino users is a Sketch.  learn the
concepts is stepwise fashion and its interesting if not easy.

Remember Arduino was designed for people that want to make things and not
become hardware or software engineers.

Allison

Dennis Zabawa

Jerry Gaffke

The Arduino environment is not a bad choice if wishing to start on the path
toward becoming a hardware or software engineer.

I'll be veering way off topic, if the above line doesn't grab you then quit reading here.

The limited resources available invite you to learn about clock rates and RAM vs ROM and stacks
and how your code compiles down to machine code.
You can learn about all the wheels spinning underneath down to bare silicon if inquisitive enough,
and that is a valuable skill many professional programmers don't have these days.

Arduino sketches are written in the C++ programming language, typically 10 to 1000 lines of code.
Most sketches are almost exclusively in the C subset of the C++ language.

The linux kernel is one of the more ambitious programming projects around,
currently at roughly 20 million lines of code, all written in vanilla C.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
Learning to program in C on an Arduino is not a dead end.

The books mentioned earlier in this thread are a good start.
If you get serious about programming, I'd recommend having the Kernigan and Ritchie
"C Programming Language" book on hand as a reference.

I program mostly in C and python.
Python will run on any laptop under most any operating system, is a free download.
I use it when trying out algorithms, as it is easier to code in than C.
But with C you have more control over exactly how things get implemented,
and the end result is usually faster and takes less memory.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 09:42 am, ajparent1 wrote:
Remember Arduino was designed for people that want to make things and not
become hardware or software engineers.

Stephen Wandling

For now, I have purchased a $3 Canadian Kindle:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079R94QBV/ref=pe_386430_122412850_TE_DP

Then for $10 Canadian Arduino Nano, shipped:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FV7NIUA/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

Thanks for all of the advice.  I have noted all of the book suggestions, for when my skill level rises.  I am feeling less lost already.

Stephen

VE7NSD

Steven Read

I am not sure how much you already know about the Arduino & how much you want to know but this appears to be a good starting point

I am OLD SCHOOL & like to see how to do something rather than read about it until I have built up some proficiency. I do not have a BITX20 but went through this a couple of years ago when my wife got a small robot with an Arduino board in it from RadioShack. Compared to some others the IDE seems a bit primitive by current standards.

I am assuming putting the BITX20 together will not present any problems or I may just have missed that as I am rushing to get this sent.

I am typing this on my phone & am a few minutes from it shutting down due to battery. I will check back here regularly to watch for your posts.

Steven Read - ab9ol - (em79jt) Dublin, IN

--

Steven Read - ab9ol - Dublin, Indiana (em79jt)

Stephen Wandling

Steven, yesterday I knew nothing about Arduino.  I know a bit more after reading the first bit of the Kindle I mentioned.  How much I want to know, is a question that is premature for me.

I was looking for some peace of mind, and if I bought a BITX, I did not want to be stepping into a 'world' that would require 'extensive' education on my part.  If that were the case, I would probably not buy the BITX.

Once I begin working my my Nano, I may decide I need to take my Arduino up a notch, or not.  And with the BITX I suspect it will be much the same.  If I REALLY want a feature, I would learn how to make it happen.

I am closer to 80 than to 75 and serious education is not usually on my horizon.  While I often watch a Youtube on some topic, just to get the general idea of how things are done, I value having time to think when I read.

Stephen

VE7NSD

On 3/31/2018 8:53 PM, Steven Read wrote:
[...]

w7hd.rh <w7hd.rh@...>

As someone who is fast approaching 75, I can understand your viewpoint!  But I have found that learning on the Arduino is FUN!  So it isn't like having to study - you can just dive in and make things happen with an occasional reference to the Kindle.

Ron W7HD

On 03/31/2018 10:20 PM, Stephen Wandling wrote:

[...]

Ron, it will be a week or two before my Arduino Nano board arrives. In the mean time I can read the Kindle.

As I mentioned to David, acronyms are my biggest hurdle. But, once I get into 'hands on' mode, I suspect that will diminish.

72   Stephen   VE7NSD

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018, 4:48 AM w7hd.rh, <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

[...]

From the sound of things it appears there are at least 3 of us in this conversation about the same age. I am the “kid” at only 66 years of age. I have been looking at getting a BITX20 (or possibly the 40M variant for some time.) I am going to have to start soon because my hands are getting less steady & my eyes less sharp.

From my experience with my wife’s robot my first suggestion is to make careful notes (both in the form of a notebook & comments in the files you create) & create some sort of scheme that works for you to allow you to easily compare your current work with what you did last week (Windows 10 has a file history feature you can turn on or if you want something else you can do something like creating folders with a suffix of yy-mm-dd — the date you are working on a particular idea.)

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 1:20 AM Stephen Wandling <swandling@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Hawks

I like the sound of the word "kid" and wish I was there (veteran at 79, call sign KF3E).  Just recovering from heart surgery and gave up an IC706MK2 G in the process. Just ordered moments ago my very own uBITX.  Very impressed with the web and hub stuff, very good validation of the gear.  Looking forward to a long and prosperous build and a lot of time on 20m and PSK31 among other qso.  Thx for allowing me to come aboard.

73

Ron Hawks KF3E

Hixson, TN

On 4/1/2018 2:28 PM, Steven Read wrote: