Topics

Newest addition to the shack!

Nelson

I got my uBITx wired up today and powered it up this afternoon.  Not much on the air but I did go out to my jeep and fired up my Yaesu FT-817ND on 10 meter and had my wife listen down in the shack.  She said it hurt her ears it was so loud (I had the AF Gain up all the way) but other than that it worked fine.

Now I just need to get the microphone wired up and/or a key wired up so I can test the transmitter portion.  For the key I think I will just make an adapter from the 1/4" mono plug I use on my other rigs.  The mic I will use is a mic that I use with my Baofeng UV-5.  I will modify the plugs to be separate plugs for the mic and external speaker.  I just need to get a couple of the appropriate size jacks.  Dang I wish Radio Shack still had a store in town.  As it is, I will need to mail order the plugs for the mic external speaker and key.  In the mean time I will spend some time surfing the bands and listening on it :-)

Attached is a picture of it in the shack.
Nelson
KG7GYS

Tim Gorman

Nice! I like your boat anchor gear. Is that an old S-38 I see?

tim ab0wr

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:53:46 -0700
"Nelson" <ngtdlt@...> wrote:

[...]

Howdy Tim,

An S-38A to be exact.  It is one of two I have. I like to use it for SWL. The other one is waiting to be brought back to life along with way too many other old radios in my shop.  Up next is a Central Electronic CE-10 and 458 VFO I got at a Hamfest in Puyallup a week or so ago.  I have one in the equipment rack but the new one does not have a scratch on it.  But right now the uBITX is front and center.  I am thinking of getting another just to experiment with.

Nelson
KG7GYS

--
I always thought the Universe was a wonderfully strange place until I studied Particle Physics - I now know the Universe is, in fact, profoundly odd in nature

Tim Gorman

You sound like one busy guy!

I too am going to order a second one to experiment with. This one seems
to be working well right now and I hate to mess with it very much. I
have checked into the morning Badger WX net and the KS WX net and both
said it sounds fine -- just a bit weak!

tim ab0wr