Topics

Mechanical work is done...

Nelson

I ordered my uBitX on Jan 11, 2018 and it was shipped on March 9, 2018 arriving in south central Washington State, USA on March 12, 2018.

I have completed the mechanical work.  Now to get to the wiring.  The case I used was a box I had bought for some project over a decade ago and never got around to using.  I ordered a speaker grill from Amazon for about US$2.50.  I decided to use a pot with switch from my junk box in order to have a standard size shaft.  It came out of an old Radio Shack CB set.  It is an A10K so should be fine.  The knobs are from an old Henry Tempo One (Yaesu FT-200).  The speaker is from my junk box as is the 12vdc fan.

Attached are some photos of the project so far.  It has the wx 2822 so I went ahead and ordered a couple along with a socket just in case.

Nelson
KG7GYS

Steve

Looks good Nelson.  I do like that speaker grill....The pic of your test bench is...um...awesome!  (as Steve asks himself- "what does all that stuff DO??")  Aloha, Steve

Nelson

Howdy Steve,

My "forte" is radios that glow in the dark so most all of my test equipment also glows in the dark. As to what all that equipment on my bench does is heat my shop in the winter :-)

(please note my fascination with magic eye tubes...)

Nelson
KG7GYS

I always thought the Universe was a wonderfully strange place until I studied particle physics.  I now know the universe is, in fact, profoundly odd in nature...

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:38 PM, Steve Thatcher <stevep2p@...> wrote:
Looks good Nelson.  I do like that speaker grill....The pic of your test bench is...um...awesome!  (as Steve asks himself- "what does all that stuff DO??")  Aloha, Steve

I always thought the Universe was a wonderfully strange place until I studied Particle Physics - I now know the Universe is, in fact, profoundly odd in nature

Jeffrey Benedict

Woo Hoo!  Looks really good.  You sure left a lot of space for "stuff" inside the case.  Battery?  Antenna tuner?  Linear amp?  Lots of possibilities!  Keep chipping away at it.

Jeff KB7AIL

Nelson

Howdy Jeff,

As I said, the case was one I had laying around.  Since it had the space I was going to put a 45 w linear amp in and ordered a kit off of Alibaba.  Unfortunately it has nothing but SMDs and I am unable to do that kind of delicate work any more.  Doing the gross kind of soldering required for the uBITX is about all I can handle (getting old really sucks).  I do like your idea of putting in a battery though.  I have a couple of those really small jump start batteries they sell now and one of those would fit in there rather nicely.

Nelson

--
I always thought the Universe was a wonderfully strange place until I studied Particle Physics - I now know the Universe is, in fact, profoundly odd in nature

kim campbell <swamprabbit1951@...>

What are you using for the lettering. If that is dry transfer letters, what is your trick for getting them to look so good. Straight.

Nelson

Howdy Kim,

I used a transparent adhesive sheet designed for use in a printer.  I had planed to do the whole face of the unit but the paper was 8x11.5 inches and my radio is wider than 11.5 inches.  I ended up printing a sheet with a variety of sizes and fonts and cut out the ones that looked like what I wanted and then peeled the backing and stuck them on.  A smaller case would allow you to do a complete front panel as a single piece.  There is another message right below about using this and it looks really nice.

Nelson
kg7gys

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 5:55 AM, kim campbell <swamprabbit1951@...> wrote:
What are you using for the lettering. If that is dry transfer letters, what is your trick for getting them to look so good. Straight.

--
I always thought the Universe was a wonderfully strange place until I studied Particle Physics - I now know the Universe is, in fact, profoundly odd in nature

Nelson

The other message is from Vic WA4THR