Topics

antenna tuner for uBitx

vu3jyt

what type of antenna tuner required for uBITX as it has only 10wpower
regards,

Michael Luft

what type of antenna tuner required for uBITX as it has only 10wpower
regards,
VU3JYT, Rajan

Impedance matching is important if one wishes to deliver all TX power to the antenna and prevent  final stage to be overheated due to standing waves reflected from the mismatched antenna (load).
Matching the antenna also improves the ability of the RX to receive all the weak signals and nothing is wasted as heat.
Mike
4X1LM

Arv Evans

The type of antenna tuner depends on the type of antenna.  L-network for end-fed
or high impedance antennas.  T-network for medium to low impedance antenna.
Pi-network for dipoles.  It is unfortunate that specifications for ATU's usually do not
include the adjustable impedance range for each band that they cover.

http://www.arrl.org/how-antennas-work

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Michael Luft <milu111@...> wrote:
what type of antenna tuner required for uBITX as it has only 10wpower
regards,
VU3JYT, Rajan

Impedance matching is important if one wishes to deliver all TX power to the antenna and prevent  final stage to be overheated due to standing waves reflected from the mismatched antenna (load).
Matching the antenna also improves the ability of the RX to receive all the weak signals and nothing is wasted as heat.
Mike
4X1LM

Curt M.

I use my LDG Z-11ProII with an end fed wire and my Bitx40. The tuner only requires 100mW of signal to auto tune.

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/21/9/1

Bert N8NN

The LDG Z-100Plus tunes with only 100mW of power.  It holds eight AA batteries internally, making it ideal for portable QRP operation.  Small, light weight and self-powered.

Bert N8NN

David Wilcox

While I agree somewhat I am not in favor of an automatic antenna tuner because if your wire (especially with a new antenna or experimental antennas) and supporting arrangement leave you without a close match the time it takes the automatic tuner to get a match it may be too long out of tune and blow your finals.  With a manual tuner you can key down for a short time while tuning, let it rest a few seconds, try again getting closer, and finally get your match.  Keeps the finals cool and prevents the smoke from being released.

I have a Z 11 Pro and while I have not blown any finals I am very touchy with my antennas and check them with an analyzer before using it, just to make sure I am close.

I prefer a small Z match like the Emtec, 4SQRP tuner, GQRP tuner, etc.  At the home shack I use an MFJ 300 watt roller inductor tuner.  The reason I like manual tuners at home is I can look at the numbers on the dials and if they are different from what I usually see I look for antenna trouble, ie., antenna down, ice coated, wrong antenna, a short somewhere.  With the automatic tuner it just tunes and you don't know if its the antenna or the tuner that is making your xmtr happy. And even at 5 watts or less we can fry a 510.

I admit I am a nerd and like to tinker versus those who like to "just get on the air and make a contact". My preference.  This is a wonderful hobby and we all are different.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 19, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Curt M. <Kc3hjp@...> wrote:

I use my LDG Z-11ProII with an end fed wire and my Bitx40. The tuner only requires 100mW of signal to auto tune.

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/21/9/1

Tim Gorman

This tuner is not automatic but it does provide a good load to the
transmitter while adjusting the tuner.

http://www.4sqrp.com/4stuner.php

As soon as I get a little money ahead I'm going to order one.

tim ab0wr

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:00:24 -0400
"David Wilcox via Groups.Io" <Djwilcox01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

K9HZ <bill@...>

I suppose the false supposition here is that you must tune under full power.   It is considered a good design to tune with just the amount of power needed in order to tune… not full power.  This can very easily be implemented on the uBITx with a relay that substitutes in a “Tune RV1” set for a much loser tune power.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Yahoo Group.

email:  bill@...

[...]

I think that is a good choice. I like the Emtech ZM-2 one better as it has air variables whereas the 4SQRP one uses poly variables. I am old fashioned and just like the larger "tougher" air variables, especially if running over 10 watts.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 19, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:

[...]

Love the Emtech ZM-2, it is my go to for 15w or less. I also use the older version of the Z-11 LDG (LDG QRP) and it works pretty good.

After looking at the 4-State tuner if you are a new builder it would be the better choice. The ZM-2 just rocks and tunes everything I have ever thrown at it, but it can be tough for new builders.

The other bonus to the ZM-2 is you can get BNC or SO-239 and built/kit.

I agree with Dave K8WPE, care should be taken in any case auto or not. I never push the UBitx/Bitx40 finals and have them both set to 5W max. You don't have to go to that extent but you should be mindful of TX time and high SWR.
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Tim Gorman

Dave,

Are you sure the ZM-2 has air variables? Based on the pictures at their
site it sure looks like they use poly-type variables caps as well.

I also question their claim that they can tune anything using no
switched inductor. I'm pretty sure there are antenna configurations,
especially with low values of capacitive reactance, that it will have a
hard time tuning unless the inductor can be changed.

tim ab0wr

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 05:46:41 -0400
[...]

ajparent1/KB1GMX

THe ZM-2, 4Sqrp, SLT, and L-tuner all work.

Personally the 4sqrp, L-tuner, SLT, and Elecraft T1 are in use here for power up to 10W
and do the job for multiple QRP radios.  For higher power I have a L-tuner I built that
easily takes 100W.  Those only get used for the inverted L and the 160M Inverted V
as all my other antennas are 50 ohm resonant as that saves losses though a tuner
and coax.

By far the best antenna is a matched one.  Second best is any needing a tuner.

Allison

Keith VE7GDH

Rajan VU3JYT wrote...

what type of antenna tuner required for uBITX as
it has only 10w power
Some might prefer a "homebrew" approach, but I have
an Elecraft T1 auto-tuner that I'm very happy with.
They rate it at 20W for SSB and CW but have "stress
tested" it briefly to higher power levels.

http://www.elecraft.com/T1/T1.htm

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

Michael Davis <maddmd818@...>