Topics

BitX40 case from The Home Depot...

Steve

I picked up this Husky clear acrylic "waterproof" case from THD back when I first got my '40.  $12.  I kind of like the see-through look.  I think with some rearranging I could get a small LiPo battery in there....The Sharpie pen case made a dandy mic body.  Could probably squeeze a bit of wire in there for a dipole or End Fed, then I'd truly have a shack in a box.  The little speaker in there is practically useless.  Probably leave it as-is, and move on the the uBitx.  Aloha, Steve.
ps- made a contact on a (questionably-accurate) indicated 3.5W to Alaska.  Stoked!

Jacob Farnes

What is the panel material you are using and how did you mount the mounting screws?

I am looking to do similar to some ammo cans and the Apache cases. I've been having a rough time getting something sturdier than cookie tins. Apparently I'm a little too rough for them.

Steve

The white panel was cut from a retail advertising sign.  Some kind of "plexiglas", but quite flexible and easy to work and cut- doesn't have a propensity to chip or shatter.  About 3mm thick- I had to countersink the holes where the jacks fit so the nuts would attach.  The brass mounting screws are just ACE hardware stock, with the knurled nuts.  I first tried to attach them with epoxy glue, but that didn't stay bonded to the acrylic case.  Currently, they are affixed with a healthy blob of 3M 5200 polyurethane sealant which is great stuff.  Besides holding the screws solidly, it allows for a small amount of flex, which, I suppose, adds a anti-shock component to the build....This is smaller and much lighter than an ammo can (steel anyway).  Not sure of the RF-resistant properties of acrylic.....;^)  Aloha, Steve.

Steve

Oops.  The Husky cases are polycarbonate, not acrylic.....Aloha, Steve.

Jacob Farnes

Thanks for the details. I was thinking the same epoxy method was going to be required here. I was wondering if I was missing some tribal-knowledge method to get a panel screwed down without compromising the integrity of the case. I'll have to see if I can source some of that sign material- hopefully in a 2mm thickness.