Topics

Junkyard uBITX #ubitx

Rob Snow

I've seen a ton of beautiful uBITX builds, I thought I'd add my junkyard build that I just completed earlier for the other end of the spectrum.  My wife was going to throw the tin away, so I grabbed it.  Some drilling and snips later and it is alive!  I've got the WX audio chip, so I installed a 8ohm + 8ohm speaker and am running it at 12.0v from 13.8v with a step down that is pictured.

Tried some 80m and 40m earlier, but it's pretty horrible tonight.  I could hear a few folks, but no response to CQ so far.

73
Rob
AG5OV

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Rob:  looks beautimus!!

On Mar 17, 2018, at 22:07, Rob Snow <rsnow@...> wrote:

I've seen a ton of beautiful uBITX builds, I thought I'd add my junkyard build that I just completed earlier for the other end of the spectrum.  My wife was going to throw the tin away, so I grabbed it.  Some drilling and snips later and it is alive!  I've got the WX audio chip, so I installed a 8ohm + 8ohm speaker and am running it at 12.0v from 13.8v with a step down that is pictured.

Tried some 80m and 40m earlier, but it's pretty horrible tonight.  I could hear a few folks, but no response to CQ so far.

<2018_03_17 20.25.55.jpg>

73
Rob
AG5OV

Terry Morris

Nice kit.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH
Linux User#412308, Ubuntu User #34905
OSs: LM18.1, Ubuntu 16.04, Puppy tahrpup64, Raspbian
Orgs: PCL70-FOP, NTHS, ALUG, ARRL, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, NO-QRP-C, QRP-ARCI#8855
I chair the PCARS CW/QRP SIG and Linux for Hams SIG, second and fifth Tuesday

my computer, my opinion

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:
Rob:  looks beautimus!!

On Mar 17, 2018, at 22:07, Rob Snow <rsnow@...> wrote:

I've seen a ton of beautiful uBITX builds, I thought I'd add my junkyard build that I just completed earlier for the other end of the spectrum.  My wife was going to throw the tin away, so I grabbed it.  Some drilling and snips later and it is alive!  I've got the WX audio chip, so I installed a 8ohm + 8ohm speaker and am running it at 12.0v from 13.8v with a step down that is pictured.

Tried some 80m and 40m earlier, but it's pretty horrible tonight.  I could hear a few folks, but no response to CQ so far.

<2018_03_17 20.25.55.jpg>

73
Rob
AG5OV

Rob Snow

I thought I'd update this for the "junkyard" types out there.  Here is the digital rig.  RPi 3 is usually my backup APRS setup, so a Baofeng audio discombublator is on top.  FT8 QSO's from Italy, Cuba and Venezuela today from Central Texas.

Audio isolator to the right (2k + 0.1uF and 600:600 transormers), I used some cheap 3.5-3.5 cables peeled and split with teeth.  Multimeter can be seen on the input side setup for current monitoring.  I didn't have any alligator clips, so I spun the wire around the multimeter leads and used the caps as clamps.  1.8MHz high-pass on the right/top, local AM station overload.

Vince Loschiavo

Nice!

what is the WX. Hip?

secondly does all of our workbenchs look the same.  Good thin the cases are flat in the back to push the last broker further back on the bench with all the leftovers!

n2aie

kc1at

Love junkyard radios....this is my Bitx40....notice the crisp lettering on the front panel....AKA as Magic Marker...And the sloped front panel like a real Bud Box. Neat tight wiring harnesses....oh  yeahhhhhh....BUT it works. ...And Allard's mods and software changes were coming fast and furious so every week I was drilling holes in it,

This is my breadboard radio...the finished product is even worse....hahahahahaa

Don

Rob Snow

Don,

Love it!  The junkyard movement is strong here.  You went all Cadillac with the magic marker, that's sharp  :-)

I secretly have a 2nd uBITX still in the packaging and have learned a thousand things on the first one that I didn't know that I needed to know, so it's already served it's primary duty and I've made over about 40 QSO's with it too.

Rob AG5OV

Guy N7BIR <sgbridge@...>

I’m pretty sure mine falls in that category too. Hi Hi

Guy N7BIR

Steve

I'm really thinkin' the ubitx.net site is missing out here....A ham radio reality blog- "Dogs of the Workbench".  Or something.....Aloha, Steve WH6ST

Mike Woods

Ha!

If there's demand ... I could easily start another gallery just for those "dogs of the workbench"!   Of course, these "dogs" may be a bit of a discouragement to the way in which constructors are presenting such excellent builds, and innovating like crazy in the µBITx community!

Mike ZL1AXG

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Mike Woods

BTW - I think Guy is having us on, and he really does have a nice replacement front panel for his build that he has chosen not to reveal as yet!

On 26/03/18 5:47 PM, Steve Thatcher wrote:
I'm really thinkin' the ubitx.net site is missing out here....A ham radio reality blog- "Dogs of the Workbench".  Or something.....Aloha, Steve WH6ST

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

marjannorm

....er...have you ever thought of taking up knitting as a hobby?   Or brain surgery, perhaps?
Norm. Vk5gi
McLaren Vale
South Australia

Rob Snow

Norm, personally, I find Radio Surgery to be more rewarding...and besides, if you mess it up all you need is more solder and another filter of some sort and nobody will ever know!

Rob AG5OV

kc1at

Yup love radio surgery....its more rewarding than most QSO's I've had....and I've been a ham for over 40 years.

Got an AGC and mic audio compressor on the bench now...going to finish those up and duct tape them onto the board...
I do that cuz I know they're not going work the way I want them to. More surgery needed....

don