From: "wb7dmx@..." <wb7dmx@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:45 PM
Subject: [BITX20] adrino

I am wanting to learn programing, looking at a starter kit r3, is this compatible with the one in the mbitx ?

GM4CID

The R3 starter kit is indeed an excellent way to learn Arduino programming.
This kit uses the Uno board with the same processor as used in the Nano fitted to the Raduino and will run the same program (sketch)..
The Nano, however has 2 extra analogue ports, one is spare and the other is used by the standard uBitx software and some of the enhanced software versions.
Once you have got up the initial learning curve  it would be worthwhile ordering a Nano board, but be careful to get the version with the 328 processor.

Doug W

With the money you'll save on the advice you just got you can afford a good book.
This one https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Arduino-Second-Learn-Programming/dp/1484209419 is recommended by many.

kc0wox Leeper

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 04:07 pm, Doug W wrote:
With the money you'll save on the advice you just got you can afford a good book.
This one https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Arduino-Second-Learn-Programming/dp/1484209419 is recommended by many.
Besides it's hard to go wrong with the author of the book a big supporter of the forum.
Leonard
kc0wox

Jerry Gaffke

A bunch of $3 Nano clones is a good choice.
can hook them up to a few resistors plus some LED's and speakers and maybe a display,
will make a great introduction to programming.

If starting from scratch and no idea what you want to do with it,
one of the kits is not a bad bet:
    https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B01GEEWIPA

If you mostly want to learn programming and are not interested in hardware,
install linux on some old windows machine.  Ubuntu linux is not a bad choice.
Comes with lots of programming tools installed, including support for C and Python
among several dozen other popular languages.

Jerry, KE7ER

 On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 03:44 pm, @bobbybailey wrote:
I am wanting to learn programing, looking at a starter kit r3, is this compatible with the one in the mbitx ?

Terry Morris

wb7dmx, Bobby

You take a peek at Jack Purdum's Second Edition, Beginning C for the Arduino. I am finding it interesting,.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH
Linux User#412308, Ubuntu User #34905
OSs: LM18.1, Ubuntu 16.04, Puppy tahrpup64, Raspbian
Orgs: PCL70-FOP, NTHS, ALUG, ARRL, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, NO-QRP-C, QRP-ARCI#8855
I chair the PCARS CW/QRP SIG and Linux for Hams SIG, second and fifth Tuesday

my computer, my opinion

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 6:44 PM, <wb7dmx@...> wrote:
I am wanting to learn programing, looking at a starter kit r3, is this compatible with the one in the mbitx ?

kc0wox Leeper

I have the Elegoo Mega 2650 progect kit and what I really like about the elegoo kits is their tutorial that comes with the kit. It is made for the board you get and you get everything needed to do the tutorials.
Leonard
kc0wox

Jerry Gaffke

I assume you mean the Mega 2560.
    https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B01GEEWIPA
That's their cheapest kit, seems adequate.
Note the solderless breadboard and pre-cut wires with header pins.
No need to spend a day with soldering iron and wire strippers to make it do something.

To really get a feel for what a computer is, download the processor datasheet and read the
half dozen pages that describe the "AVR Core" starting on page 11.
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-2549-8-bit-AVR-Microcontroller-ATmega640-1280-1281-2560-2561_datasheet.pdf

Then write a simple Arduino program for it and generate an assembly language listing of
your compiled C code, figure out what's going on.  The Arduino forums would be a good
place to go for help on this.

That's a good solid introduction to computers.
The full set of modern programming tools available for free with Ubuntu are very powerful
and highly recommended, but it's hard to ever touch bottom.
You might never really know what a computer -is-.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 08:06 am, kc0wox Leeper wrote:
I have the Elegoo Mega 2650 progect kit and what I really like about the elegoo kits is their tutorial that comes with the kit. It is made for the board you get and you get everything needed to do the tutorials.
Leonard
kc0wox

wb7dmx@att.net

today I got the book and the starter kit, so far I have learned to save, compile and edit the blink sketch.

Jerry Gaffke

Which starter kit?

Having recommended this kit, figured I might as well get one.  Arrived today:
        https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B01GEEWIPA

Haven't played with it yet, but have inspected the box contents.
Impressive!  It all looks quite useful.
You'd be hard pressed to buy all the stuff they give you for the same $30.

The next even mildly interested young relative or acquaintance of mine may well get one.
But not this one, I think I'll keep it.

Jerry

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 04:58 pm, @bobbybailey wrote:
today I got the book and the starter kit, so far I have learned to save, compile and edit the blink sketch.

wb7dmx@att.net

super starter kit r3

David Wilcox

Keep us posted on your progress and the value.  I ordered one too after the first email.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 17, 2018, at 8:41 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

Which starter kit?

Having recommended this kit, figured I might as well get one.  Arrived today:
        https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Project-Starter-Arduino-Mega2560/dp/B01GEEWIPA

Haven't played with it yet, but have inspected the box contents.
Impressive!  It all looks quite useful.
You'd be hard pressed to buy all the stuff they give you for the same $30.

The next even mildly interested young relative or acquaintance of mine may well get one.
But not this one, I think I'll keep it.

Jerry

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 04:58 pm, @bobbybailey wrote:
today I got the book and the starter kit, so far I have learned to save, compile and edit the blink sketch.

Terry Morris

That's the one I ordered.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH
Linux User#412308, Ubuntu User #34905
OSs: LM18.1, Ubuntu 16.04, Puppy tahrpup64, Raspbian
Orgs: PCL70-FOP, NTHS, ALUG, ARRL, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, NO-QRP-C, QRP-ARCI#8855
I chair the PCARS CW/QRP SIG and Linux for Hams SIG, second and fifth Tuesday

my computer, my opinion

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:04 PM, <wb7dmx@...> wrote:
super starter kit r3

Fred Buecker

I have had some great experiences with the RexQualis kits. My daughter and I actually found some errors in the docs and they sent us an upgraded kit as a thank you for reporting the errors.

It was an unexpected, but welcome, gesture.

-Fred

KC3HMS