Topics

New for pi-day, the Rasberry Pi 3 B+

Jerry Gaffke
 

Many of us feel tau-day is the more significant:  https://tauday.com/
but pi-day is worth celebrating.
Cuz there's a new Rasberry Pi model out, an upgrade of the Rasberry Pi 3:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus/#buy-now-modal
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/

Of interest to Bitx'rs wishing for a fully portable rig capable of standalone digital operations. 
Perhaps use Bluetooth into your smartphone for a display:
    https://www.adafruit.com/product/1697

Though I'd still want a basic CW mode to fall back on when one of those billions of transistors goes south.

Jerry, KE7ER

Doug W
 

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:43 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
Many of us feel tau-day is the more significant:  https://tauday.com/
can't we all just get along...



https://xkcd.com/1292/

Rob Snow
 

Just remember, kids:

Pie are not round.

Pi r squared.

I'll show myself out and happy Pi day.

73
Rob
AG5OV

Dr Fred Hambrecht
 

Everybody be knowin’ Pie are round, cornbread are square.

 

v/r

Fred W4JLE

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Snow
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2018 00:01
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] New for pi-day, the Rasberry Pi 3 B+

 

Just remember, kids:

Pie are not round.

Pi r squared.

I'll show myself out and happy Pi day.

73
Rob
AG5OV

ohwenzelph
 

No, but 2 pi r.

freefuel@...
 

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:43 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
While the new Raspberry pi model seems nice, they still have not addressed a serious matter for battery powered operation. that issue is power management! 
-Justin N2TOH 

V Zecchinelli
 

Isn't the new Raspberry Pi Tablet battery powered?

Vince N1VIN



On 3/15/2018 9:32 AM, freefuel@... wrote:
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 01:43 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
While the new Raspberry pi model seems nice, they still have not addressed a serious matter for battery powered operation. that issue is power management! 
-Justin N2TOH 

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

For performance the Asus Tinkerboard has it seriously beat.  Not only faster 1800mhz but twice the ram 2gb.
All the sam IO and hardware still there and same form factor so it fits in the same places.

I know this as I have both RPI 3B and Tinkerboards.  

The problem is faster currently means more power needed.  

Allison

Jerry Gaffke
 

The 8 bit Atmel processors are 20 or 30 years out of date, but a big community of users to get help from.
The $2 Blue Pill ARM STM32F103's seems the current best bang/buck.
But something small and stupid is a very good place to start if you really want to know what a computer is.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the  AVR Core section of the ATMega640 datasheet is about 6 pages long.
Figuring out an ARM would be somewhat more difficult. 

The Asus Tinkerboard could be interesting to folks here as an alternative to the RPi's for standalone digital.
Though most of my projects don't need that much processing power.
And many are just fine with an 8 bit ATMega.

The RPi-zero might be a good choice for a standalone rig with digital modes.
A brief google search suggests it can be throttled back to well under 100ma,
making it less than the uBitx receiver and thus perhaps good enough.
    https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-zero-power
That supply current will rise considerably when you give it a job doing FFT's.
Far less processing power than a Tinkerboard, but less battery power too.
Oh, and $5.

Good time to be a geek.
I remember back in the late 70's, trying to build a Z80 system from scratch.
Never got completed.
Minimalist kits were $1k+ in 1978 dollars, and considerably less powerful than these ATMega's.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 09:07 am, ajparent1 wrote:
For performance the Asus Tinkerboard has it seriously beat.  Not only faster 1800mhz but twice the ram 2gb.
All the sam IO and hardware still there and same form factor so it fits in the same places.

I know this as I have both RPI 3B and Tinkerboards.  

The problem is faster currently means more power needed.  

Allison

Jack Purdum
 

True, the Atmel family is getting a little long in the tooth, but it has two HUGE advantages: There are a hundred clones which, for the most part, work well and it has a bazillion shields/sensors that can be added on easily.This makes it easy to have a fun and enjoyable learning experience. Also, there's probably enough self-instruction books on them to denude most of Idaho. The STM32 family is sorely lacking in the above. I cannot even find a touch screen library that works with it.

The RP has tons of books available for learning about it, but it seems to be more geared to the Maker types rather than hackers. I don't see the hardware experimenting with it like I do with the Atmel family.That's not to say there aren't people hacking it, just a different type of hacking.

Ultimately, the choice comes down to what your goals are. I keep looking for better controllers for my projects (e.g., STM32's, Teensy's...even a new one from from NZ). Still, with the libraries available and so little time left, I gotta go with the easy solution for my needs.
Jack, W8TEE


On Thursday, March 15, 2018, 1:05:14 PM EDT, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:


The 8 bit Atmel processors are 20 or 30 years out of date, but a big community of users to get help from.
The $2 Blue Pill ARM STM32F103's seems the current best bang/buck.
But something small and stupid is a very good place to start if you really want to know what a computer is.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the  AVR Core section of the ATMega640 datasheet is about 6 pages long.
Figuring out an ARM would be somewhat more difficult. 

The Asus Tinkerboard could be interesting to folks here as an alternative to the RPi's for standalone digital.
Though most of my projects don't need that much processing power.
And many are just fine with an 8 bit ATMega.

The RPi-zero might be a good choice for a standalone rig with digital modes.
A brief google search suggests it can be throttled back to well under 100ma,
making it less than the uBitx receiver and thus perhaps good enough.
    https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-zero-power
That supply current will rise considerably when you give it a job doing FFT's.
Far less processing power than a Tinkerboard, but less battery power too.
Oh, and $5.

Good time to be a geek.
I remember back in the late 70's, trying to build a Z80 system from scratch.
Never got completed.
Minimalist kits were $1k+ in 1978 dollars, and considerably less powerful than these ATMega's.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 09:07 am, ajparent1 wrote:
For performance the Asus Tinkerboard has it seriously beat.  Not only faster 1800mhz but twice the ram 2gb.
All the sam IO and hardware still there and same form factor so it fits in the same places.

I know this as I have both RPI 3B and Tinkerboards.  

The problem is faster currently means more power needed.  

Allison