From: Jose Matos via Groups.Io <ct1fkn@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2018 9:44 AM
Subject: [BITX20] No detent rotary encoder

Hi DR OMs

Anyone can give me some info where can I find a Rotary encoder with NO detent because in ebay I only found
rotary encoders WITH detent ( 20 /30 detent per rotation) and my uBitx encoder is broken.

best 73

José

Jose Matos

Thank you Jack

Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.es/itm/Rotary-Encoder-400P-R-6mm-Incremental-Optical-Shaft-Working-Measurement-5-2-Y7Y6/222680935869?hash=item33d8d16dbd:g:BFgAAOSwy~BZ7060
but dont this have a high encoder rate (400) too high for the raduino code?
73
José

Ken

I've been able to open the ones with detents and adjust the spring for no clicks. There are sites that show you how to do it.

73

Ken VA3ABN.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 11:01 AM, Jose Matos via Groups.Io <ct1fkn@...> wrote:
Thank you Jack

Maybe like this one: https://www.ebay.es/itm/Rotary-Encoder-400P-R-6mm-Incremental-Optical-Shaft-Working-Measurement-5-2-Y7Y6/222680935869?hash=item33d8d16dbd:g:BFgAAOSwy~BZ7060
but dont this have a high encoder rate (400) too high for the raduino code?
73
José

Praba Karan

what is the issue with detents?

--
D.Prabakaran
VU3DXR

Ken

Someone earlier wants detent-less encoder.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Praba Karan <vu3dxr@...> wrote:
[...]

I just uploaded a 2 page PDF  Encoder Adjust Detent. Go to files section and search on detent.

73 Ken VA3ABN

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Jose Matos via Groups.Io <ct1fkn@...> wrote:
Hi DR OMs

Anyone can give me some info where can I find a Rotary encoder with NO detent because in ebay I only found
rotary encoders WITH detent ( 20 /30 detent per rotation) and my uBitx encoder is broken.

best 73

José

Jack Purdum

With a human turning the encoder shaft, I'm pretty sure that the Nano could easily keep up. However, I would think one with that granularity (i.e., 360 degrees / 400 steps per revolution = 0.9 degrees per move) would be a little fussy to use without modification to the software. Think about it. It's common to have a one detent move on a "detent" encoder to be associated with a 1KHz frequency change. Therefore a 9 degree rotation would cause a 9KHz change. Even if you were at the 40M band start (i.e., 7.0 MHz), a single revolution puts you at 7.4MHz; outside the band in the US. A minor software change can fix this, but I would think it would need to be changed or you would need to work with lower increments.

Jack, W8TEE

but dont this have a high encoder rate (400) too high for the raduino code?
73
José

Vince Vielhaber

You will have to modify the code. To get one of these to work on another project, I had to take only one in fifty pulses. Anything less and it was impossible to fine tune.

Vince.

On 03/04/2018 11:01 AM, Jose Matos via Groups.Io wrote:
Thank you Jack

Maybe like this
one: https://www.ebay.es/itm/Rotary-Encoder-400P-R-6mm-Incremental-Optical-Shaft-Working-Measurement-5-2-Y7Y6/222680935869?hash=item33d8d16dbd:g:BFgAAOSwy~BZ7060
but dont this have a high encoder rate (400) too high for the raduino code?
73
José

Jose Matos

Thank you for your support
I will try take off the detent like the KEN VA3ABN instructions or buy one Clarostat model
best Regards
73
José
CT1FKN
PS: UBitx is a great nice radio......

David Feldman

Ken VA3ABN,

This is a very helpful file - I noticed it is page 22 (!) --- is this part of a larger document?

Thank you!