Topics

Replacing the Rotary Encoder #ubitx

John Kemker

My junque box has a Keyes rotary encoder mounted on a small PCB with DuPont compatible header attached.  On the back are two 10k SMD resistors.  I like the Keyes better because it has detents when you spin it.  Should I be able to directly replace the stock encoder with it?  It, too, has a center-push switch.  Five lines out:  CLK, DT, SW, +, SW.
--

73 de W5NNH

John Kemker

Arrgh!  The last should not be SW, but GND.

--

73 de W5NNH

Michael Hagen

Yes that usually a good one.  If the bushing is not threaded, you have to mount with standoffs.

I had a connector on each end of its cable.  The encoder end not polarized.  So I shrunk wrapped soldered wires on the

encoder connector because it was not polarized.  Now the cable is attached with a Molex at the other end.

That's a problem with DuPont jumpers.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP

On 2/20/2018 8:42 AM, John Kemker wrote:
My junque box has a Keyes rotary encoder mounted on a small PCB with DuPont compatible header attached.  On the back are two 10k SMD resistors.  I like the Keyes better because it has detents when you spin it.  Should I be able to directly replace the stock encoder with it?  It, too, has a center-push switch.  Five lines out:  CLK, DT, SW, +, SW.
--

73 de W5NNH

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street

Arv Evans

John  W5NNH

Your post highlights a situation that has come up before.  Some builders seem
to like the smooth feel of a big heavy knob with no detents on their rotary
encoders.  Others seem to prefer the solid positioning feel of a rotary encoder
with detents.

My personal experience is that the non-detent encoders sometimes slip a
setting or two when pushing the knob to activate the switch on the same
shaft.  If using a separate switch then the non-detent encoders work fine.

Some of the encoders I purchased from Ebay suppliers have one-step-per-
detent, and others have two-steps-per-detent.  This was confusing until I
realized what was happening and added a line of code to swallow one step
on the two-steps-per-detent encoders.

Arv   K7HKL
_._

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:42 AM, John Kemker <kemkerj3@...> wrote:
My junque box has a Keyes rotary encoder mounted on a small PCB with DuPont compatible header attached.  On the back are two 10k SMD resistors.  I like the Keyes better because it has detents when you spin it.  Should I be able to directly replace the stock encoder with it?  It, too, has a center-push switch.  Five lines out:  CLK, DT, SW, +, SW.
--

73 de W5NNH

Jack Purdum

Some encoders throw 4 pulses per detent. You just have to experiment a little.

Jack, W8TEE

[...]

There is a #define in the Lib to change Pulses.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP

On 2/20/2018 10:26 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Walter

If one wanted to lock out the rotary encoder, like some rigs which have a lock button for their tuner.

Could one just break one of the encoder lines with a switch, say the ground wire, and get the effect of locking to tuner?

73 W9KJO

Jack Purdum

It could also be done in software.

Jack, W8TEE

If one wanted to lock out the rotary encoder, like some rigs which have a lock button for their tuner.

Could one just break one of the encoder lines with a switch, say the ground wire, and get the effect of locking to tuner?

73 W9KJO

Walter

If locking were accomplished in software then one would have to press the encoder and could shift the frequency.

If the button on the ground wire will work that seems like and nice solution.

73, W9KJO