https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapes-Master-2-x-10ft-Copper-Foil-Tape-EMI-Shielding-Conductive-Adhesive-2/282438503301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Tim

WB7UVH

On 2018-02-19 09:32, Carl Beck wrote:

I have updated my PDF File as a result of questions in assembling the uBITX in my Case.  After I post my PDF File on the forum: for a couple of days I get request fir the case and questions.  It seems the it falls off the radar until I post again.  I am getting good reviews from those who ordered my case so take a look: you may want one.

Jerry Gaffke

My Bitx is still open face on a piece of plywood, works fine..
Many are using unshielded plastic boxes as enclosures.
But if you are receiving interfering signals, a shielded enclosure can help,
If you think you might need shielding, here's a few things to consider:

Interfering signals can come from gear like a faulty wall wart power supply, or a digital clock on the stove.
The microphone and speaker and power cables may need filtering to avoid RFI entering.
You might also want a common mode choke in the coax out to the antenna to prevent
signals (perhaps RFI) from getting picked up by the coax instead of only from the somewhat remote antenna.
Such shielding can also prevent the Bitx's  BFO, VFO, etc from interfering with other gear in the area.

Try the Bitx out in an RF quiet location with a portable antenna, see if that does away with any interfering signals.

A quick and dirty wrap around the outside of the rig with aluminum foil will determine if shielding helps.
I'd include a battery and speaker inside that wrap job, try it first without any antenna connected,
some interfering signals (birdies) will still be present due to harmonics of the local oscillators mixing.
Then connect an antenna into the wrap job, making sure the foil connects well with the shell
of the antenna coax connector

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 09:10 am, Tim Young wrote:

Carl did a nice job. I lined mine with copper foil to reduce interference. Others may be in a better position to comment on whether it is necessary or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapes-Master-2-x-10ft-Copper-Foil-Tape-EMI-Shielding-Conductive-Adhesive-2/282438503301?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Leland Lannoye

Carl:
Is shielding possible? I will be ordering my case this week.

On 2018-02-19 09:32, Carl Beck wrote:

I have updated my PDF File as a result of questions in assembling the uBITX in my Case.  After I post my PDF File on the forum: for a couple of days I get request fir the case and questions.  It seems the it falls off the radar until I post again.  I am getting good reviews from those who ordered my case so take a look: you may want one.

Carl Beck

See reply from Tin Young above.  I don't have any in mine and so far no problem  I think Tim's copper clad idea is great.

Tim Young

Just be sure the copper will not contact the heat sinks...

DANGER : The heatsink of the µBITX carry the PA DC voltage. They should not be in contact with the chassis or any other metallic surface.