Topics

Raduino Replacemnt, COMING SOON!

Nick VK4PP

Hi Group.

I am working on a simple "Open source" Raduino replacment board: see here:
https://easyeda.com/nikpolini/Raduino-1b3e0cb579154514ad2e014b83346b58

It will use the Adafuit Clock board: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2045
So will run all devices at 5v.
I hope to have pinouts and dimension exactly the same as the origional so it can be used as a direct drop-in replacement. Or modified for i2c display and other GPIO mods...
Should be cheap (.50c a board, $3 nano, $8 Si5153 board plus a 7805 regulator and a few other bits... I'll try make it both SMD and TH for the capacitors and resistors...
So you can build a cheap easy <$20 Raduino replacment....

Constructive comments and thoughs welcome.

73. Nik
VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

Ok, its comming along nicely.
So the idea is an EASY DIRECT replacment for the raduino with the option of 3 extra I2C devices.
Minimal soldering, NO SMD if you dont want to.
The SI5351 is implemented via a common breakout board.
So Solder on your headers, 7805, 3 capacitors, 1 recommended resistor(cut the joining trace) and your RV1 for the backlight, or convert to i2c LCD backpack and free up 6 digital IOs.

Please have a look at the board design and let me know if you see any issues...

I will order 30 boards and when they arive, test a few, and then the rest will be sold at cost price + postage: Maybe $5 all up? Ill have to see...

Thanks
73 VK4PLN

walt hodges

Please place me in the queue to purchase!!

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Nik VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
Ok, its comming along nicely.
So the idea is an EASY DIRECT replacment for the raduino with the option of 3 extra I2C devices.
Minimal soldering, NO SMD if you dont want to.
The SI5351 is implemented via a common breakout board.
So Solder on your headers, 7805, 3 capacitors, 1 recommended resistor(cut the joining trace) and your RV1 for the backlight, or convert to i2c LCD backpack and free up 6 digital IOs.

Please have a look at the board design and let me know if you see any issues...

I will order 30 boards and when they arive, test a few, and then the rest will be sold at cost price + postage: Maybe $5 all up? Ill have to see...

Thanks
73 VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

HI All, I will list on eBay when ready and post up a link..

73.

Nick VK4PP

Updated: Im pretty happy with it now, short of any major errors...

William R Maxwell

Nice but hmm, you might like to correct the spelling of OSCILATORS, Nick :)

Bill, VK7MX

On 13/02/2018 2:50 PM, Nik VK4PLN wrote:
Updated: Im pretty happy with it now, short of any major errors...

Nick VK4PP

Done, Thanks. ;-)

MVS Sarma

The Child card of si5351  --was it placed at right angles to the controller board?

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Nik VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
Done, Thanks. ;-)

Nick VK4PP

Flat ontop, but installed backwards:

MVS Sarma

Thanks please.
 It makes a totall\ of 3 cards atop lcd display.

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Nik VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:
Flat ontop, but installed backwards:

Nick VK4PP

Ebay Prices:
VK4PLN RadinoI2C : $8
LCD + Backpack : $3
Si5351 : $8
Arduino: $4
+bits : $2
= $25, not too bad.

73, VK4PLN

Nick VK4PP

Added bonus is that the SI5351 board uses 5v logic levels and has the shiters build in for the Si5351 chip.
Now the LCD I2C backpack can be used without modification. No reliance at all on the arduino 3.3v regulator.
Splice in an I2C TPA2016 AGC Amp and you are cooking!
73

William R Maxwell

AUD or USD, Nick?

Bill, VK7MX

On 13/02/2018 3:49 PM, Nik VK4PLN wrote:
Ebay Prices:
VK4PLN RadinoI2C : $8
LCD + Backpack : $3
Si5351 : $8
Arduino: $4
+bits : $2
= $25, not too bad.

73, VK4PLN

Gerry Kavanagh

Nice work Nik. I will be ordering as soon as they become available.
For v2, could you think of breaking out the unused analogue pins?

/ Gerry

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

For us with no PC can we get them pre programmed that would be a big  help chris

On 13 Feb 2018 11:48, "gerrykav via Groups.Io" <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Nice work Nik. I will be ordering as soon as they become available.
For v2, could you think of breaking out the unused analogue pins?

/ Gerry

KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...>

Will it work with the Allard sketches ?

Bernie,
KC9SGV

On Feb 11, 2018, at 7:07 PM, Nik VK4PLN <nickpullen@...> wrote:

Hi Group.

I am working on a simple "Open source" Raduino replacment board: see here:
https://easyeda.com/nikpolini/Raduino-1b3e0cb579154514ad2e014b83346b58

It will use the Adafuit Clock board: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2045
So will run all devices at 5v.
I hope to have pinouts and dimension exactly the same as the origional so it can be used as a direct drop-in replacement. Or modified for i2c display and other GPIO mods...
Should be cheap (.50c a board, $3 nano, $8 Si5153 board plus a 7805 regulator and a few other bits... I'll try make it both SMD and TH for the capacitors and resistors...
So you can build a cheap easy <$20 Raduino replacment....

Constructive comments and thoughs welcome.

73. Nik
VK4PLN

KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...>

Maybe you should donate one of these replacement boards to Allard so that he can modify his latest sketches for it ?
Will mean more sales for you...

KC9SGV

On Feb 13, 2018, at 6:14 AM, KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry Gaffke

Should work fine with Allard's sketches.
I believe with no modifications to the sketch if using a standard parallel display.
Not a bad idea to move to an i2c display to free up some pins,
but that is a very minor adjustment to the code and has been done here before.

Looks like it's fully compatible regarding form factor and connector placement as the one from hfsignals
Good job Nik, addresses a need, and using the adafruit si5351 breakout makes it an easy build.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 04:15 am, KC9SGV wrote:
Will it work with the Allard sketches ?

Jerry Gaffke

Excellent advice!
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why-raspberry-pi-isnt-vulnerable-to-spectre-or-meltdown/
And if that was too confusing:  https://xkcd.com/1938/

Seriously, unless you are locked into Microsoft or Apple products for some absurd reason
and assuming you aren't too worried about framerates while gaming or the like,
the $35 RasberryPi-3 is a perfectly fine desktop computer for email and web-browsing and reading pdf's.
And absolutely great if you want to play with hardware and python and gcc.  And with the Arduino IDE.

If you don't happen to have a TV with HDMI, an HDMI computer monitor is under $100.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:03 am, Dexter N Muir wrote:
No PC? Tut-tut ... Got a TV? With HDMI? Get a Raspberry Pi!

KD8CGH

Jerry
  Re: xkcd
   Thanks, I needed that