Topics

wrong frequency after software change. #ubitx

at91r40008
 

Did any one experienced this problem?
After uploading the software from Ian Lee I was really happy how it behaved but that didn't last.
I uploaded another version (unfortunately I don't remember which one) I couldn't hear anything
except background noise and in transmit my SWR was over 8:1. I checked all my coax and
switches but still the same. So I connected another radio at my desk and it worked fine.
Finally I connected my scope and found out that the output frequency was way off.
On 7058 the output frequency is 4032
On 10101 the output frequency is 5770
On 21000 the output frequency is 12000
On 28000 the output frequency is 16050.

The frequencies are approximate as hey were measured with the scope (a TDS2024B).

Loading any other version of the software, even the original one, doesn't restore the rig
to the correct frequency. I know, I should have noted which firmware I was using but I
didn't.

Any suggestions or clues?

Thanks and 73,

yvon NU6I

--
73, Yvon NU6I

Mike Woods
 

Sounds like the settings in EEPROM are scrambled.  Have you used uBITx Manager to check?  If they are scrambled you can use uBITx manager to fix them too!

Mike ZL1AXG


On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 at 7:36 PM, at91r40008 <yvon@...> wrote:
Did any one experienced this problem?
After uploading the software from Ian Lee I was really happy how it behaved but that didn't last.
I uploaded another version (unfortunately I don't remember which one) I couldn't hear anything
except background noise and in transmit my SWR was over 8:1. I checked all my coax and
switches but still the same. So I connected another radio at my desk and it worked fine.
Finally I connected my scope and found out that the output frequency was way off.
On 7058 the output frequency is 4032
On 10101 the output frequency is 5770
On 21000 the output frequency is 12000
On 28000 the output frequency is 16050.

The frequencies are approximate as hey were measured with the scope (a TDS2024B).

Loading any other version of the software, even the original one, doesn't restore the rig
to the correct frequency. I know, I should have noted which firmware I was using but I
didn't.

Any suggestions or clues?

Thanks and 73,

yvon NU6I

--
73, Yvon NU6I

Ian Lee
 

I had to play with my child on the weekend so I confirmed it a little late.

My opinion is the same as Mike.
I've been asked about similar issues. also i have expierence similar situation. They were all wrong values of BFO. I was the same.
Until now, the problem has been solved by setting the BFO correctly.
But it does not seem to be your case.
If it is a software problem, it seems that everything is wrong, not just the BFO.
I always say something similar to someone who is experiencing these problems.
This issue is not resolved by updating the firmware.
Most firmware will retain the calibration part defined by the original source.

If it is a software problem, I can give you a solution. 

You can choose one of two options.
I always make my uBITX factory-ready before testing the firmware before distributing it.
Note that you only need to use one time and update to another firmware. (because The EEPROM is set to the factory default each time the power is turned on)

The second method is a little safer.
I will put the EEPROM factory reset function in uBITX Manager.  After that you will be able to fix your uBITX using uBITX Manager.
So far, what I'm talking about is a software problem. If there is hardware damage, the methods I presented may not be helpful.

Ian KD8CEC

2018-02-11 15:35 GMT+09:00 at91r40008 <yvon@...>:

Did any one experienced this problem?
After uploading the software from Ian Lee I was really happy how it behaved but that didn't last.
I uploaded another version (unfortunately I don't remember which one) I couldn't hear anything
except background noise and in transmit my SWR was over 8:1. I checked all my coax and
switches but still the same. So I connected another radio at my desk and it worked fine.
Finally I connected my scope and found out that the output frequency was way off.
On 7058 the output frequency is 4032
On 10101 the output frequency is 5770
On 21000 the output frequency is 12000
On 28000 the output frequency is 16050.

The frequencies are approximate as hey were measured with the scope (a TDS2024B).

Loading any other version of the software, even the original one, doesn't restore the rig
to the correct frequency. I know, I should have noted which firmware I was using but I
didn't.

Any suggestions or clues?

Thanks and 73,

yvon NU6I

--
73, Yvon NU6I



--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

at91r40008
 

Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I

at91r40008
 

I didn't find the uBitx Manager but I used a sketch to clear the EEPROM and that solved the problem.
Now I am going to reload Ian's firmware and continue to play.
Thanks Mike, Ian.
--
73, Yvon NU6I

Michael Shreeve
 

Which version are you having problems with ?  I am currently using CEC 1.01 and the only problem I'm having is SSB seems to be off about 500khz . I assumed it was something to do with the Raduino which came from a BITX40 (put the right angle header on it). Haven't tried to adjust the BFO using the menu yet. 

I had been waiting to do a calibration, not sure this software has that option but could change back to Ashhars and he does have that option. Perhaps I should try the BFO ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM, at91r40008 <yvon@...> wrote:
Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I




--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG
15901 Cloverdale Road
Anderson, CA 96007
530-410-8678
"Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" -Bob Marley



Michael Shreeve
 

How would an Eprom become scrambled ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Michael Shreeve <shreevester@...> wrote:
Which version are you having problems with ?  I am currently using CEC 1.01 and the only problem I'm having is SSB seems to be off about 500khz . I assumed it was something to do with the Raduino which came from a BITX40 (put the right angle header on it). Haven't tried to adjust the BFO using the menu yet. 

I had been waiting to do a calibration, not sure this software has that option but could change back to Ashhars and he does have that option. Perhaps I should try the BFO ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM, at91r40008 <yvon@...> wrote:
Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I




--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG
15901 Cloverdale Road
Anderson, CA 96007
530-410-8678
"Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" -Bob Marley






--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG
15901 Cloverdale Road
Anderson, CA 96007
530-410-8678
"Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" -Bob Marley



Arv Evans
 

Michael, and others...

Much of the present day Raduino software uses EEPROM to store variables and readings
that do not change often.  This facilitates using that memory for long-term storage and limits
writes to EEPROM memory which has an anticipated  lifespan of over 100K write cycles. 

Problem arises when you change software for your Raduino to a new version which may,
or may not, use EEPROM memory in exactly the same way as the prior version.  Because
EEPROM storage is non-volatile it keeps data from the prior software version.  If the new
software does not deliberately re-write this memory that older data may interfere with newer
software. 

What is needed here is for the new software to deliberately reset all, or all used cells, of 
EEPROM memory the first time the new code is exercised.  To reset it every time the program
is restarted would reduce lifespan of EEPROM storage.  There is a possible way to do this
but may require that the new software store its name and version in EEPROM and use that
as a test to see if it has fixed the EEPROM problem to match its own use of that memory area.
This could be configured in new raduino software such that it runs the EEPROM reset only
once and then ignores it for subsequent runs of the new code.

Another possible solution might be to build a raduino sketch that just does a complete flush
of EEPROM and restores it back to factory defaults before you install the new raduino code. 
Such a sketch would be the so-called "ubitx manager" that does not seem to be available, or
is not advertised as being available. 

Yet another possible solution to this problem might be to completely configure all user options
in your new code install before expecting it to operate properly.  That should write the correct
data to EEPROM areas that will be used by that code version.

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Michael Shreeve <shreevester@...> wrote:
How would an Eprom become scrambled ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Michael Shreeve <shreevester@...> wrote:
Which version are you having problems with ?  I am currently using CEC 1.01 and the only problem I'm having is SSB seems to be off about 500khz . I assumed it was something to do with the Raduino which came from a BITX40 (put the right angle header on it). Haven't tried to adjust the BFO using the menu yet. 

I had been waiting to do a calibration, not sure this software has that option but could change back to Ashhars and he does have that option. Perhaps I should try the BFO ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 9:22 AM, at91r40008 <yvon@...> wrote:
Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I




--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG
15901 Cloverdale Road
Anderson, CA 96007
530-410-8678
"Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" -Bob Marley






--
Michael Shreeve N6GRG
15901 Cloverdale Road
Anderson, CA 96007
530-410-8678
"Don't worry about a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!" -Bob Marley




Mike Woods
 

Yvon

It is helpful to have the EEPROM values maintained after a new software load for most of us, but not in your case!   Not having to recalibrate, retune the BFO, enter CW autokey messages, etc. is a real feature.

As Ian indicated, reinstalling the stock firmware from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx, followed by reinstallation of KD8CEC software v1.01 (Master) should "fix" the problem ... if the problem is indeed a software problem as we suspect.

Fixing the problem in uBITx Manager would require entry of codes (but it sounds like Ian may be about to change uBITx Manager to enable a reset to default factory settings, which would be great).

You can download uBITx Manager here:   https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vBHRhcW3p77mYT_bG--8sExCybrSnkTu

The guide can be found on Ian's blog (http://www.hamskey.com) here: http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/release-version-027-of-cat-support.html

If you post to the list the matrix of codes that appear on the LHS of the screen when uBITx Manager is connected to your uBITx, Ian would be able to confirm whether you have a software problem. The VFO frequency fields in the EEPROM will look wrong. You should also be able to change the frequency of the VFO and the two Local Oscillators from within uBITx Manager.  You may be able to fix the problem yourself!

Hope you can figure this one out quickly, to get your uBITx back in normal operation!

73 Mike

On 12/02/18 6:22 AM, at91r40008 wrote:
Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Mike Woods
 

That's great!

On 12/02/18 7:07 AM, at91r40008 wrote:
I didn't find the uBitx Manager but I used a sketch to clear the EEPROM and that solved the problem.
Now I am going to reload Ian's firmware and continue to play.
Thanks Mike, Ian.
--
73, Yvon NU6I


--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

You might dump that EEPROM clearing sketch in the files section for future use by others…

 

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

 

Moderator – North American QRO Yahoo Group.

 

email:  bill@...

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Woods
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 1:27 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] wrong frequency after software change. #ubitx

 

That's great!

On 12/02/18 7:07 AM, at91r40008 wrote:

I didn't find the uBitx Manager but I used a sketch to clear the EEPROM and that solved the problem.
Now I am going to reload Ian's firmware and continue to play.
Thanks Mike, Ian.
--
73, Yvon NU6I

 

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...


Virus-free. www.avg.com

W2CTX
 

Not sure what sketches he loaded?

But Ian and I agreed that our sketches would NOT use
the original firmware EEPROM locations for anything
other than what they were originally used for.  Anything
we created new was not in this area.

Now Ian and I may not have used the same definitions above this
area.  So beware about that.

Therefore calibration information would not have been changed to the
best of my knowledge.

Ian you can comment on this too.

rOn



From: Mike Woods <mhwoods@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] wrong frequency after software change. #ubitx

Yvon

It is helpful to have the EEPROM values maintained after a new software load for most of us, but not in your case!   Not having to recalibrate, retune the BFO, enter CW autokey messages, etc. is a real feature.

As Ian indicated, reinstalling the stock firmware from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx, followed by reinstallation of KD8CEC software v1.01 (Master) should "fix" the problem ... if the problem is indeed a software problem as we suspect.

Fixing the problem in uBITx Manager would require entry of codes (but it sounds like Ian may be about to change uBITx Manager to enable a reset to default factory settings, which would be great).

You can download uBITx Manager here:   https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vBHRhcW3p77mYT_bG--8sExCybrSnkTu

The guide can be found on Ian's blog (http://www.hamskey.com) here: http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/release-version-027-of-cat-support.html

If you post to the list the matrix of codes that appear on the LHS of the screen when uBITx Manager is connected to your uBITx, Ian would be able to confirm whether you have a software problem. The VFO frequency fields in the EEPROM will look wrong. You should also be able to change the frequency of the VFO and the two Local Oscillators from within uBITx Manager.  You may be able to fix the problem yourself!

Hope you can figure this one out quickly, to get your uBITx back in normal operation!

73 Mike

On 12/02/18 6:22 AM, at91r40008 wrote:
Thank you MIke and Ian.
The eeprom was my first thought but I eliminated it thinking that it
would be initialized each time you load a different software.
Where can I download the uBitx manager from?
--
73, Yvon NU6I

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...


David Nelson
 

attached read eprom ino 

David Nelson
 

sorry I meant to send erase eprom ino

David Nelson
 

these inos were set up for the mega so you might have to adjust eprom size  

at91r40008
 

Ron,

it is just one of the Arduino examples.
Where is your software located/named?
--
73, Yvon NU6I

Ian Lee
 

all
first. Congratulations on solving problem.

I have seen this problem very simple. And the correct answer to that question was Mike's answer.
The cause was the wrong eeprom value. ok?

I saw an important point in the questioner's question.
First question : "After uploading the software from Ian Lee I was really happy how it behaved but that didn't last.
I uploaded another version (unfortunately I don't remember which one)"
The important thing is "unfortunately I do not remember which one".
Because I have had this experience some times.
I have experienced a situation similar to the questioner several times a long time ago.
Especially, I experienced it more often when I connected several ICE (ice in circuit emulator), Downloader, etc. to one computer.

So I understood the questioner's situation. And I did not ask anymore about it anymore.
I just wanted the questioner's uBITX to come back to normal.
Of course I had my own guess.
'Perhaps the questioner uploaded uBITX firmware is not the firmware for uBITX?'

Anyway, I agreed with Mike and suggested two ways to restore the eeprom.He simply need to initialize the wrong eeprom.

I did not know about Arduino, but he had the ability to initialize eeprom on sketch, so he did a great job. he completely solved the problem himself.
And the issue of the lifetime of the eeprom was a very good debate a few days ago. please search.
And I like to talk about these issues. I want to have a discussion at any time.

In addition, most uBITX firmware protects the Calibration items used by the original source.
In particular, i was an in-depth dialogue with Ron about this and we agreed not to use the author's realms and extra realms. In this way, uBITX firmware is guaranteed to be compatible with each other.
So I guess the questioner uploaded firmware would not be uBITX firmware. Most of the uBITX firmware sources I've seen protect the 0 ~ 20 addresses with Master Calibration and BFO Calibration.

And I sincerely hope that many bugs will be found in my firmware.Please feel free to report any bugs you have found and any improvements you have made.
I have deployed 1.0 and the bugs reported so far are just one. It was that when IAMBIC key was selected, RX switch command of CAT protocol was not heard well.
It was corrected within an hour of reporting and soon changed to 1.01.

There are no bug reports since then. So I am lonely. When I have a bug report I feel that I am not alone.
Even from the beta testers who are with me, they are quiet nowadays.

All the history I editing codes are available in github.

Ian KD8CEC











2018-02-12 5:59 GMT+09:00 at91r40008 <yvon@...>:

Ron,

it is just one of the Arduino examples.
Where is your software located/named?
--
73, Yvon NU6I



--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

at91r40008
 

thank you Ian.

I have been writing embedded (?) software since the pdp8.
And I am still working and writing embedded software (pic32
and ARM).
What bugs me with the Arduino is the lack of proper naming
convention. Whatever software I download from the web
or github, once it is loaded in the IDE, be it Arduino or
UCIDE it always shows as uBix20. Looking in the output 
window doesn't show the project/file path. Easy to be confused.


73, Yvon NU6I

Ian Lee
 

Yvon

I agree with you.
I am similar to you. I used arduino for the first time.
You seem to be similar to me.
I have run only one IDE since I experienced something similar to you.
There is no indication in the Arduino IDE so sometimes i press the Save As button (To check the working directory. lol)

Now I am a little familiar with the Arduino IDE. I still do not know yet.

Anyway the problem has been solved and I am very glad that your uBITX is back.

73
Ian KD8CEC


2018-02-12 12:08 GMT+09:00 at91r40008 <yvon@...>:

thank you Ian.

I have been writing embedded (?) software since the pdp8.
And I am still working and writing embedded software (pic32
and ARM).
What bugs me with the Arduino is the lack of proper naming
convention. Whatever software I download from the web
or github, once it is loaded in the IDE, be it Arduino or
UCIDE it always shows as uBix20. Looking in the output 
window doesn't show the project/file path. Easy to be confused.


73, Yvon NU6I



--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

W2CTX
 

If using Arduino IDE just select  Sketch / Show Sketch Folder

rOn



From: Ian Lee <kd8cec@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] wrong frequency after software change. #ubitx

Yvon

I agree with you.
I am similar to you. I used arduino for the first time.
You seem to be similar to me.
I have run only one IDE since I experienced something similar to you.
There is no indication in the Arduino IDE so sometimes i press the Save As button (To check the working directory. lol)

Now I am a little familiar with the Arduino IDE. I still do not know yet.

Anyway the problem has been solved and I am very glad that your uBITX is back.

73
Ian KD8CEC


2018-02-12 12:08 GMT+09:00 at91r40008 <yvon@...>:
thank you Ian.

I have been writing embedded (?) software since the pdp8.
And I am still working and writing embedded software (pic32
and ARM).
What bugs me with the Arduino is the lack of proper naming
convention. Whatever software I download from the web
or github, once it is loaded in the IDE, be it Arduino or
UCIDE it always shows as uBix20. Looking in the output 
window doesn't show the project/file path. Easy to be confused.


73, Yvon NU6I


--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)