Topics

Plastic vs Metal Cabinets

Mike Lichtman

I know that Farhan has recommended a metal enclosure for the uBitx but I see many people using plastic. Has anyone
who has a plastic enclosure encountered any problems with it so far? By the way, I ordered on 12/17 and received
an email that it was shipped today. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Thomas Sharka

Yes, the plastic enclosures are more prone to external RF. I'm using the popular chinese cabinet and have a TS-100 soldering iron powered by a laptop brick that puts out a rather large RFI footprint. It floods the uBITX receive while under temperature regulation. If the uBITX were in a properly grounded metal case, the interference would be considerably less. I can get within 1 foot with the TS-100 and cause the receive on the uBITX to be swamped. I'm currently looking into improving the shielding on the TS-100 to cause less of an RFI footprint.

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app