Topics

whistles in receive

Leland Lannoye

I am sitting here reading some of this information and studying the new technology.  When I was young (at leas 50 years ago), solid state technologies were either in their infancy or still a dream.  Our rigs were two pieces of equipment, a receiver and a transmitter with a variety of accessories.

Most of our receivers for those of us who were not well heeld in the financial area were of the single conversion genre with an if frequency of 455 kHz.  With little preselection capability, this relegated the ham bands 20 mtrs and above useless with hetrodyne images from frequencies 910 kHz either above or below the desired reception point. There, in that day, were three remedies to fix this. The first two were:

    1.)  add a really selective high gain preselector to tune the offending images out

    2.)  raise the if to something on the order of 1600 kHz which left bandpass selectivity at a substantial disadvantage.

The third option, and the most expensive in its day was double (or, even triple) conversion.  If  you were able to pay the 1958 price of over $300, you were in and there were few difficulties thereafter until the receiver aged and developed some bad shield grounds or worse.  The second or third conversion local oscillator would provide a cornu copia of birdies of one type or another. These included signals that were always there, I know the newer designs with balanced mixers and the like have few of these problems, but, it is worth considering.

An aging ham from way back.

Lee, WA9AOE

---
http://www.avg.com

Ashhar Farhan

The warm smells of an HRO steaming up... is there any hotroding one can do to these rigs?
- f

On 5 Feb 2018 12:02 am, "Leland Lannoye" <wa9aoe@...> wrote:
[...]

There have been numerous articles in QST over the years on rebuilding these old rigs.  I found an article which I saved somewhere on building transistor substitutes for the tubes.  you could build them on small perf boards and set up a set of wires that corresponded to the pin out on the tubes.  At one time, someone was making modules to replace all the low power and receiving tubes on the Collins S line.  That was at least 40 years ago.  I don't do well on a lot of these tiny connections anymore due to age and aging eyes, but my history skills are still largely intact.

Lee, WA9AOE

PS: Still awaiting shipment on my Bitx.

On 2/5/2018 10:40 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
[...]

Jerry Gaffke

One of my earliest memories at about 3 years of age, maybe less, is being fascinated
by the console tube radio we had in the living room.
Peering around in back, face pressed against the wall, trying to see what was inside
and figure out how it worked.
My elders teasing me, telling me about all the little people tucked inside.

Younger hams in the states will only think of Ham Radio Outlet, our local retail chain.
Here's the real HRO:  http://www.radioblvd.com/National%20HRO.htm
And a choice quote:

The original published story for the origin of  the HRO designation related that all of National's inter-departmental paperwork for the receiver project was stamped "H.R.O." which stood for "Hellva Rush Order" since the time table for the receiver development was a "rush order" type of project. For many years this was the story related in National advertising and it sounded believable. However, after James Millen left National in 1939, he corrected the story as follows:

The original development paperwork was usually marked "H.O.R." - for "Hell Of a Rush" but during the finalization phase, someone at National decided they didn't want their new receivers to be referred to as "HORs" so the letters were rearranged and became HRO - then the "Hellva Rush Order" story created to explain the HRO designation.

Well,...that's Millen's story anyway.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 07:40 am, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
The warm smells of an HRO steaming up... is there any hotroding one can do to these rigs?
- f

Jack Purdum

One can get carried away, however...

Inline image
Jack, W8TEE

[...]

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

And to think I have 1 old ICOM I'm to poor for any else lol

On 5 Feb 2018 18:35, "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>

image1.jpeg
Helluva Rush Order 5 (Military version)
...And it was for  in a rush back during WWII

Lotsa fun radios can be found for almost nothing. This one free except cost of gas to go pick it up and restoration parts.

You can’t duplicate the smells as they warm the room. Part of the patina.

Dave WI6R

On Feb 5, 2018, at 10:40 AM, chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...> wrote:

[...]

Allard PE1NWL

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 07:56 am, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
One of my earliest memories at about 3 years of age, maybe less, is being fascinated
by the console tube radio we had in the living room.
Peering around in back, face pressed against the wall, trying to see what was inside
and figure out how it worked.
Funny, that's exactly one of my earliest memories too.
I used to peek trough the holes in the rear panel. Inside was a mysterious glow and a warm smell came out:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Philips B3X92A

One day I turned the dial and strange beeps came out. My dad told me they were messages from saylors far away.
I never lost my fascination for radio waves since.

73 Allard PE1NWL

John Backo

Back in the '50's, when I was still in high school,
console radios were being replaced by "portables"
and lots of them were available for the taking. I had
one which I took out of the wood and put on my desk,
a 9 or 10 tube job with all the SW frequencies. I think
it was an Emerson.

I stuck a long wire antenna out the window to a nearby
tree and listened all the time. When I was doing my homework
on October 4, 1957, I was listening to Radio Moscow when
they announced that Sputnik 1 had been launched.

I don't remember whether or not I finished my homework
that night. Hi.

I don't know whether or not any of those old console radios
are still available. I lost mine along the way. But it sure would
be nice to have one of those rigs again.

Ah, well; there is always Arduino...

john
AD5YE