Date   
Re: Easy desoldering of relays (& other multi-pin devices)

Julien NICOLAS <contact@...>
 

Hi,
My preferred way is to use an air compressor to blow molten solder.
Sometime I also use quick chip (bismuth).
Julien

Le 19/07/2019 8:09, David a écrit :
The method fo removing solder through hole components; where you can
access the component fully,
per my days in medical instrumentation, is to use fine wire cutters
and cut the leads as close to the body of
The component as possible. Then remove the component. Next take a
small pair of needle nose pliers grab the lead and heat the pad using
a tip with a drop of solder on it. When molten pull the lead out. Then
reapply heat and use a solder sucker to clear the pad and through
hole. This reduces the chances of damaging the feed through hole.
I am not a big fan of solder wick as it can often lead to overheating
the pad and damaging it.
Also if you are having trouble getting a small piece of solder off a
pad or feed through. Re-apply solder to the whole pad and feed through
and then try the solder sucker again.

Re: Easy desoldering of relays (& other multi-pin devices)

V Zecchinelli
 

I just tried this on removing a 64 pin SMD chip and it worked fantastic.  Have had Chipquik for a while but never used.  Worked GREAT!!!
THANKS!!!
73 Vince N1VIN


On 7/19/2019 7:59 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
This is why I recommend Chipquik.

It is a solder with a very high freezing temperature.  You mix it in with the current connection with  a soldering iron and then it stays soft for about 10 seconds giving you time to remove the part.

I had to remove a very large transformer from a HF amp that had 2 circuit boards joined together that was about 3cm long.  Without Chipquik, it would have been near impossible.  

I'm blown away how easy it is and how much safer it is to your board than the traditional methods of solder suckers, vacuum stations and even solder wick.  

You might want to watch their video.  This is new school and much newer technology.

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:09 AM David <dokrent@...> wrote:
The method fo removing solder through hole components; where you can access the component fully,
per my days in medical instrumentation, is to use fine wire cutters and cut the  leads as close to the body of
The component as possible. Then remove the component. Next take a small pair of needle nose pliers grab the lead and heat the pad using a tip with a drop of solder on it. When molten pull the lead out. Then reapply heat and use a solder sucker to clear the pad and through hole. This reduces the chances of damaging the feed through hole.

I am not a big fan of solder wick as it can often lead to overheating the pad and damaging it.

Also if you are having trouble getting a small piece of solder off a pad or feed through. Re-apply solder to the whole pad and feed through and then try the solder sucker again.




Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

John Cardoso
 

Hi folks
Would a kind soul tell me, please, what is/are the peak-to-peak voltage/s I should expect at the high terminal of the bitx40's volume control.
Sorry, but I do not have a way to measure it. :(
Thanks
-John-

Re: Antuino 2.0

jasonbrambach
 

Where does one buy the Antuino? I have looked at HFSignals sight for weeks and see only the description and a note saying, "It will be on sale from June 2019." Of course, there is no simple way to contact you through your website, F. Thank you for your help. Much obliged, Jay~ KY9I

Re: Antuino 2.0

Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK
 

Jason, as you can see from Farhan’s comment a few replies back, he is still ironing out the last wrinkles in the design. You will have to wait a little longer. Just watch this group, I assume we will be the first ones to know ;)

--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: RX BCI filters

Christopher Miller
 

One of the maker spaces here in Tucson holds a low power fm radio license. They have all sorts of rf test equipment. I live in Tucson, so it’s probably worth while to just check and see if that is available near you.

KF4FTR

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

Curt
 

John

I think you are asking how high is the sky. It depends how strong the signal received is as there is no agc. The rig is not known for robust audio. Start with headphones.  some folk use amplified external speakers or add an audio power amplifier.

Curt

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

John Cardoso
 

Thanks Curt, I kinda left it undefined by asking for "voltage/s" but I should have added for an "average/comfortable listening volume". (May be? )
It's a toughie I know but I am still curious...
I'll take the sky height, tough. :)
Take care.


Virus-free. www.avast.com


On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:27 PM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John

I think you are asking how high is the sky. It depends how strong the signal received is as there is no agc. The rig is not known for robust audio. Start with headphones.  some folk use amplified external speakers or add an audio power amplifier.

Curt

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

 

Hi John,

The lm386 often states a common output power of 125mW.  This is actually a pretty strong volume level, but looking at it will give you an idea of what type of voltage you may see.  Po = V^2/R so 0.125W = V^2/8ohms so V^2 = 1 and V=1  This is an RMS value so peak would be 1.4V and peak to peak 2.8V.

Recall though that we need a doubling or halving of power to notice a  difference in volume, so you could actually be seeing voltages much less than this.

73,


Mark.

Re: RX BCI filters

 

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM, David Posthuma wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIT-Universal-Bandpass-Filters-for-HF-Transceivers-BPF-6-6-bands-12V/172672735615?hash=item283418d97f:g:VtYAAOSwXj5aon5k
Hi David,

Could be quite useful for BCI and other out of band receive interference, but I don't think it was made for transmiter harmonics/spur reduction.

73,


Mark.

Re: Easy desoldering of relays (& other multi-pin devices)

David Wilcox
 

Go to their site 


And watch their videos on all their products.  Miracle stuff.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Jul 19, 2019, at 4:05 PM, V Zecchinelli <n1vin@...> wrote:

I just tried this on removing a 64 pin SMD chip and it worked fantastic.  Have had Chipquik for a while but never used.  Worked GREAT!!!
THANKS!!!
73 Vince N1VIN


On 7/19/2019 7:59 AM, Michael Walker wrote:
This is why I recommend Chipquik.

It is a solder with a very high freezing temperature.  You mix it in with the current connection with  a soldering iron and then it stays soft for about 10 seconds giving you time to remove the part.

I had to remove a very large transformer from a HF amp that had 2 circuit boards joined together that was about 3cm long.  Without Chipquik, it would have been near impossible.  

I'm blown away how easy it is and how much safer it is to your board than the traditional methods of solder suckers, vacuum stations and even solder wick.  

You might want to watch their video.  This is new school and much newer technology.

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:09 AM David <dokrent@...> wrote:
The method fo removing solder through hole components; where you can access the component fully,
per my days in medical instrumentation, is to use fine wire cutters and cut the  leads as close to the body of
The component as possible. Then remove the component. Next take a small pair of needle nose pliers grab the lead and heat the pad using a tip with a drop of solder on it. When molten pull the lead out. Then reapply heat and use a solder sucker to clear the pad and through hole. This reduces the chances of damaging the feed through hole.

I am not a big fan of solder wick as it can often lead to overheating the pad and damaging it.

Also if you are having trouble getting a small piece of solder off a pad or feed through. Re-apply solder to the whole pad and feed through and then try the solder sucker again.




Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

Don, ND6T
 

John,

In the vicinity of 10 millivolts for a readable signal at moderate volume. Consider it comparable to "line" levels for your stereo amplifier. 73, Don

CAT on Linux OS

Bill
 

I run Linux 19.1 to the uBITX V5 to control WSJT-X, JS8, and Fidigi. The audio CODEC works but I am unable to get CAT control using Yaesu 817.
I tried USB0, and other ttySx settings and find NO responce.  The Terminal detects the UART 340 OK when I (lsusb).  Tried the same setting as for my Win 7 which works fine - being - 8bit, 1 stop, 38400 baud.
Any help would be appreciated 
Bill K9JUI

Re: CAT on Linux OS

Arv Evans
 

Bill K8JUI

stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [SETTING]...
stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [-a|--all]
stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [-g|--save]

Should let you verify the I/O settings and change them if needed.

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 1:16 PM Bill <billshamlink@...> wrote:
I run Linux 19.1 to the uBITX V5 to control WSJT-X, JS8, and Fidigi. The audio CODEC works but I am unable to get CAT control using Yaesu 817.
I tried USB0, and other ttySx settings and find NO responce.  The Terminal detects the UART 340 OK when I (lsusb).  Tried the same setting as for my Win 7 which works fine - being - 8bit, 1 stop, 38400 baud.
Any help would be appreciated 
Bill K9JUI

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

Jim Sky
 



On 7/20/2019 3:25 AM, Mark - N7EKU wrote:
Recall though that we need a doubling or halving of power to notice a  difference in volume, so you could actually be seeing voltages much less than this.

Mark, I don't think that is correct. I believe 1 dB is discernible to most listeners. 

73s
Jim

Re: CAT on Linux OS

Bill
 

Arv

Thanks I will give it a try

Bill K9JUI

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

 

It was just from early morning memory,

But as a reference I quickly saw this:


https://www.abdengineering.com/blog/perception-vs-reality/

They confirm a doubling/halving needed.

But I found a test site too:

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_index.php

And for me, a 1dB difference was reliably detectable, so I would go by the 1dB figure if their recordings were correct (dB and not dBV or dBA).  Anyway, mainly I meant that one can hear power levels at the speaker a lot less than 125mW.  Of course it all depends too on background noise in the room environment, the speaker, etc. as  125mW in a  car going down the road won't get you far!

And if you want to get depressed (or impressed) by how much hearing loss you have or don't have:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

73,


Mark.

Re: Voltage at volume control of bitx40??

Jim Sky
 

Hi Mark,

Thanks for digging into that minimal detectable increase question. 

And yes on the frequency response of the ear, I may have sacrificed a few octaves to 60s music.


73s
Jim


On 7/20/2019 7:16 PM, Mark - N7EKU wrote:

It was just from early morning memory,

But as a reference I quickly saw this:


https://www.abdengineering.com/blog/perception-vs-reality/

They confirm a doubling/halving needed.

But I found a test site too:

https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_index.php

And for me, a 1dB difference was reliably detectable, so I would go by the 1dB figure if their recordings were correct (dB and not dBV or dBA).  Anyway, mainly I meant that one can hear power levels at the speaker a lot less than 125mW.  Of course it all depends too on background noise in the room environment, the speaker, etc. as  125mW in a  car going down the road won't get you far!

And if you want to get depressed (or impressed) by how much hearing loss you have or don't have:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

73,


Mark.



Re: 7.277mHz Sunday Afternoon

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services
 

I have listened a few times but never heard another uBITX on 7.277.  The posted net time is a little inconvenient for me.  I have another proposal:  How about uBITX addicts just "parking" our rigs on 2.277 MHz and listening.  I usually have mine on, with volume down very low.  I have been leaving it on 14.300 but 20M propagation has not been good lately.  I will start listening on 7.277 for a while.  I encourage others to do likewise.  Make your first CQs there when you sit down to operate.

Re: 7.277mHz Sunday Afternoon

Skip Davis
 

Just to let you know 14.300 is the Maritime Mobile net frequency for both coasts. They are in operation most of the day with net controllers throughout the country. It’s not the best choice for operation and meeting place for uBITX users but could be used to possibly get a signal report.

Skip Davis, NC9O 

On Jul 21, 2019, at 09:50, Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services <FischerTek@...> wrote:

I have listened a few times but never heard another uBITX on 7.277.  The posted net time is a little inconvenient for me.  I have another proposal:  How about uBITX addicts just "parking" our rigs on 2.277 MHz and listening.  I usually have mine on, with volume down very low.  I have been leaving it on 14.300 but 20M propagation has not been good lately.  I will start listening on 7.277 for a while.  I encourage others to do likewise.  Make your first CQs there when you sit down to operate.