Date   
[uBITX] Key line resistor: OK to mount on Raduino board?

K5DH
 

There is a 4700 Ohm pullup resistor that must be installed between +5 V and the key line.  The wiring instructions show it being installed at the key jack.  Is it OK to install it on the Raduino board, on the solder side of the Digital connector?  Or is soldering to that board too risky? 

73/72,
Dean K5DH
uBITX msn 279

Re: [uBITX] Key line resistor: OK to mount on Raduino board?

Jerry Gaffke
 

Should be fine, only concern might be if your soldering iron was faulty and the tip was not at ground potential. 
In fact, installing the 4.7k at the Raduino may be slighty preferred,
as there's less chance of the rig unexpectedly transmitting due to an open cable or connector. 


On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 06:11 pm, K5DH wrote:
There is a 4700 Ohm pullup resistor that must be installed between +5 V and the key line.  The wiring instructions show it being installed at the key jack.  Is it OK to install it on the Raduino board, on the solder side of the Digital connector?  Or is soldering to that board too risky? 

Re: Nextion Display

Jack Purdum
 

How's the refresh rate? Any flicker?

Jack, W8TEE



From: Dr Fred Hambrecht <w4jle@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

Jack,
I am using the serial connection. No drivers needed.
 
v/r
Fred W4JLE
 
 
From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Purdum via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 14:48
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display
 
Fred:
 
Are you running the Nextion from the STM32? No driver issues?
 
Jack, W8TEE
 

From: Dr Fred Hambrecht <w4jle@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:13 PM
Subject: [BITX20] Nextion Display
 
I may be late to the party, but I have just discovered the NEXTION display. I am using it on my BitX. What makes it really neat is the software that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's site. It takes all the pain out of graphics programming. I have also replaced the UNO with an STM32 as in addition to the normal stuff I have added a GPS module to display time/location/grid square data as well as using the 1PPS to do a continuous correction to the SI oscillator. The higher resolution allows calculating the SWR etc with much finer gradations.  I will be adding a filter board from a CODAN that will allow all band operation.(bought for $12.00 on EBay). Amazing what is available to the homebrewer today!
 


Re: Nextion Display

Jack Purdum
 

Did not know that, as I've never had one. Thanks!

Jack, W8TEE



From: Michael Monteith via Groups.Io <michael_r_monteith@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

Jack,
 The Nextion display only uses a serial port.  Software is written on the processor on the display to change the display contents based on data sent back and forth on the serial port.    This allows in this case the external processor to deal with data a processing and letting the display itself to handle graphics content. 

73, Michael
KM4OLT

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:48 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
Fred:
 
Are you running the Nextion from the STM32? No driver issues?
 
Jack, W8TEE
 
 


Re: [uBITX] Key line resistor: OK to mount on Raduino board?

M Garza <mgarza896@...>
 

I soldered it at the board.  No issues.

Marco - KG5PRT 

On Jan 31, 2018 8:20 PM, "Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io" <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Should be fine, only concern might be if your soldering iron was faulty and the tip was not at ground potential. 
In fact, installing the 4.7k at the Raduino may be slighty preferred,
as there's less chance of the rig unexpectedly transmitting due to an open cable or connector. 

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 06:11 pm, K5DH wrote:
There is a 4700 Ohm pullup resistor that must be installed between +5 V and the key line.  The wiring instructions show it being installed at the key jack.  Is it OK to install it on the Raduino board, on the solder side of the Digital connector?  Or is soldering to that board too risky? 

Re: uBITX AM BCI Filter #ubitx

Nick VK4PP
 

Hi John, Ill get it installed tonight...
However, I do have one already installed using T37-6 and tantalum caps that seems to be working fine. It is on the ANT though, So I am hoping puting this new one on the RX path help with TX power (Marginal I imagine...)

Wanna try SKED on the weekend, say Sunday 7pm on 7177, as per other uBITX skeds?

Cheers. Nick

UBITX: Guide page for wiring up a Paddle and Straight Key on ubitx.net

Mike Woods
 

I had a bit of time up my sleeve today, so I have drafted one of the guide pages on the http://www.ubitx.net website:

    http://ubitx.net/wiring-up-a-paddle-and-straight-key/

I need better photos of the paddle and straight key jacks.  Can somebody send me some better photos (jpg)?

I am happy to take any other suggestions to improve this page as well!

73 Mike

--
Mike Woods
mhwoods@...

Re: Nextion Display

Patrick Pugh Sawian
 

Which display width did you procure for the NEXTION?

Pat, VU3PAT




On Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:55 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:


Did not know that, as I've never had one. Thanks!

Jack, W8TEE



From: Michael Monteith via Groups.Io <michael_r_monteith@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

Jack,
 The Nextion display only uses a serial port.  Software is written on the processor on the display to change the display contents based on data sent back and forth on the serial port.    This allows in this case the external processor to deal with data a processing and letting the display itself to handle graphics content. 

73, Michael
KM4OLT

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 11:48 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
Fred:
 
Are you running the Nextion from the STM32? No driver issues?
 
Jack, W8TEE
 
 




Re: Nextion Display

Dr Fred Hambrecht
 

Jack,

 

Nope, it has its own processor that takes care of the refresh. With the downloadable software you define touch areas, display areas etc. This is downloaded to the onboard processor via either serial of much faster via an SD card. The data defining characteristics and page numbers once down loaded are populated via the serial bus. The STM32 discovery boards availabl for less than $20 contain the BitX program (you can use the same IDE as used for the Arduino once the libraries are downloaded).

It took me less than 20 minutes to define 4 pages to control all the functions. Thanks to your tutelage I was able to simply modify the portions of the BitX program I used with a 20X4 display. With the touch screen I can enter the frequency directly and pass it to the STM32 processor. Works well with the Arduino Mega as well using TX2/RX2.

The software from the screen vendor allows you to prepare the files, simulate the screen and then when you happy send it to the SD card for installation. Once you get familiar with the simulator you can create an application in less than an hour.

Once data has been passed to the screen you can disconnect the Arduiano/STM32 and the display continues on displaying the last data received in the fields defined by the SD card info.

Screen sizes up to 7 inch are available albeit a bit pricey. I am using the 3.5 inch.

 

v/r

Fred W4JLE

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Purdum via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 21:22
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

 

How's the refresh rate? Any flicker?

 

Jack, W8TEE

 


From: Dr Fred Hambrecht <w4jle@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

 

Jack,

I am using the serial connection. No drivers needed.

 

v/r

Fred W4JLE

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Purdum via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 14:48
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Nextion Display

 

Fred:

 

Are you running the Nextion from the STM32? No driver issues?

 

Jack, W8TEE

 


From: Dr Fred Hambrecht <w4jle@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:13 PM
Subject: [BITX20] Nextion Display

 

I may be late to the party, but I have just discovered the NEXTION display. I am using it on my BitX. What makes it really neat is the software that can be downloaded from the manufacturer's site. It takes all the pain out of graphics programming. I have also replaced the UNO with an STM32 as in addition to the normal stuff I have added a GPS module to display time/location/grid square data as well as using the 1PPS to do a continuous correction to the SI oscillator. The higher resolution allows calculating the SWR etc with much finer gradations.  I will be adding a filter board from a CODAN that will allow all band operation.(bought for $12.00 on EBay). Amazing what is available to the homebrewer today!

 

 

Re: uBITX woes, feeling disheartened. #ubitx

David Beal
 

Hi Chris - 

Replying to your suggestion to check DC path.  Unfortunately there is a path to DC no matter if it's TX or RX.  The RX path goes through K1.  

I have verified 12v across D7 (K1) when PPT is on.   Still stumbling around ... 

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ

Replacing the PA section on Bitx 40

James Lawrie
 

Hello,

My shipment of replacement RF Mosfets have arrived and I want to replace the on board PASection with one based on the RD16HHF1. It will be a separate small PCB based on the reference design shown in the data sheet. I need help from the professionals here as to where to attach the new PA board.

I know it would be somewhere after the 2N2219A driver, and I want to remove all bypassed SMTs and or other parts from the Bitx board in that area. If you have a pretty good idea could you please let me know, and possibly a drawing if you could. This should keep me busy and off the forum for a while.

Thanks,


James Lawrie

Re: uBITX woes, feeling disheartened. #ubitx

James Lawrie
 

I might be willing to swap your Ubitx for mine. I haven't touched it yet still new in box. I'm working on modding my bitx 40s for now. If interested let me know we can work out the details.

James lawrie



Sent from my Galaxy Tab A

-------- Original message --------
From: David Beal <aardvarq@...>
Date: 1/31/18 21:55 (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBITX woes, feeling disheartened.

Hi Chris - 

Replying to your suggestion to check DC path.  Unfortunately there is a path to DC no matter if it's TX or RX.  The RX path goes through K1.  

I have verified 12v across D7 (K1) when PPT is on.   Still stumbling around ... 

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ

Re: Replacing the PA section on Bitx 40

M Garza <mgarza896@...>
 

Why replace everything?  You can probably put it in place of the 510 (making sure it is pinned correctly, of course).  
I am waiting on a pair, myself, that I will be stuffing into the ubitx.   I want to even out the power output.  I will also try a resistor/capacitor in parallel, in series with the gate, to try and even out the frequency response.  I am thinking 4.7 ohm & 4700pf.  I will also try 6.8 ohm & 4700pf.  Depends on how flat I can get the output.

Marco - KG5PRT 

On Jan 31, 2018 10:12 PM, "James Lawrie" <lawriejk@...> wrote:
Hello,

My shipment of replacement RF Mosfets have arrived and I want to replace the on board PASection with one based on the RD16HHF1. It will be a separate small PCB based on the reference design shown in the data sheet. I need help from the professionals here as to where to attach the new PA board.

I know it would be somewhere after the 2N2219A driver, and I want to remove all bypassed SMTs and or other parts from the Bitx board in that area. If you have a pretty good idea could you please let me know, and possibly a drawing if you could. This should keep me busy and off the forum for a while.

Thanks,


James Lawrie

Re: Second batch of uBITX shipping? #ubitx

Art Howard
 

Getting closer ordered mine the 18th

On 31 Jan 2018 9:57 am, "dj0hf" <dj0hf@...> wrote:
Ordered on the 16th Dec and posted by HFSigs 30th Jan.
I now have a tracking number so it's looking good. Can't wait to start playing with it.

73
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO




Re: uBITX AM BCI Filter #ubitx

John <passionfruit88@...>
 

Hello Nick,

I am very interested in knowing what results you get. 

My main objectives in not placing it in the Tx path are to reduce the toroid size and to avoid introducing extra mis-match as I have built the unit in a manpack configuration. So I want to glue the toroids down when everything is working.

As for the QSO, I would like to, but until I replace Arduino nano I have very strong tones in and outside the passband.

So hopefully I will receive the replacement Arduino soon.

All the best,

73, John (VK2ETA)

Re: [uBITX] Key line resistor: OK to mount on Raduino board?

Clark Martin
 

That’s what I did, I put an 0805 SMD resistor in between the pins of the digital connector. It fits quite nicely. And it works fine

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jan 31, 2018, at 6:11 PM, K5DH <k5dh@...> wrote:

There is a 4700 Ohm pullup resistor that must be installed between +5 V and the key line. The wiring instructions show it being installed at the key jack. Is it OK to install it on the Raduino board, on the solder side of the Digital connector? Or is soldering to that board too risky?

LTSpice simulation of uBitx Power Amp

Jerry Gaffke
 

I've uploaded an LTSpice simulation of the uBitx Power Amplifier from Q90 on out through the IRF510's
but not including any of the transmit low pass filters, can be found here:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/KE7ER/ubitx_pa.asc
A pdf of the LTSpice schematic is here:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/KE7ER/ubitx_pa.pdf

I ran several simulations, all with a 0.05 volt pk-to-pk sine wave driven into C80 at the base of Q90.
Anything much higher and there was some definite gain compression going on.

With the IRF510 gates clipped out of the circuit, I saw 7.7v p-p of drive for each gate at 30mhz, 10.0v p-p at 7mhz.
Note that these signals were still loaded by the 47ohm resistors at R97 and R98

With the gates restored and the IRF510's powered from 12v, the gates had 3.0v p-p at 30mhz, 8.0v p-p at 7mhz.
Simulated power out (computed from the unfiltered p-p voltage into 50 ohms) was 5W at 7mhz and 0.9W at 30mhz. 
  
Will be interesting to see what this does if the gates are driven harder.
Also interesting to try a simulation of the WA2EBY amp using the same IRF510 models.

Jerry, KE7ER

Re: BITX40 V2.03 UPGRADE

JH1OJY
 


Thanks for nice info.
I had replaced 10k to 4.7k before this question.
I tried to replace 4.7k to 2.4k or 1.5k.  finally 1.5k but output power doesn't go up, still 3w.
This resister is available for CW but not LSB I think. 
Anyway I will search how to make output power up.

Hiro  JH1OJY

Re: BITX40 V2.03 UPGRADE

Allard PE1NWL
 

Hi Hiro san,

Each time after you replaced the resistor to a lower value, did you also
perform recalibration?
Changing the resistor value may have some effect on the optimum
calibration point for maximum power output in CW.

Do you have correct power output in other modes (LSB, USB, CWU) or only in
CWL?
Is power output correct in VFO setting LOW or HIGH?
What VFO calibration value (ppm), and what BFO frequencies did you find
during calibration procedures for each mode?

73 Allard PE1NWL

On Thu, February 1, 2018 08:40, JH1OJY wrote:
Thanks for nice info.
I had replaced 10k to 4.7k before this question.
I tried to replace 4.7k to 2.4k or 1.5k.  finally 1.5k but output power
doesn't go up, still 3w.
This resister is available for CW but not LSB I think. 
Anyway I will search how to make output power up.

Hiro  JH1OJY

Re: uBITX Firmware (CEC) 0.30 released (Test version). #ubitx

Kari Syrjänen
 

Ian's firmwares working great! I have been using then since version 0.25

Now running 0.33 and working 7MHz FT8-mode. Over 350 QSO.s in my logbook

TNX!

Kari OH5YW