Date   
Re: Recycled case for uBitx

Daniel Conklin
 

Nice work! I was thinking about this exact thing the other day.  You should put the #UBITX hashtag on your post.

Re: uBitx AGC mod

Michael Hagen
 

Maybe this?

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap13.pdf

Mike, WA6ISP



On 1/3/2018 2:02 AM, William R Maxwell wrote:

Ah, thankls.


On 3/01/2018 7:14 PM, Alan G4NMA wrote:
'Harris' appears to be Frank W Harris K0IYE.


-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Re: #ubitx Power output on 40 / 80 m with high current levels #ubitx

Alex - PA1FOX
 

Hi Nigel,

Great to hear from you :)

John,

I think I have made a big mistake, or actually two:

The first is that I thought I was using T37-10 for the output transformer but in fact it was an FT37-43. As both are black and equal in size it took some time to find out (only that I had not used any of the newly bought T37-10's since they were all still present in the purchase package.) I did try the T37-10 but it gave no improvement.

The second is that I had not found the correct winding details for the transformer. I was using the trifilair setup which is used all over the rig and what would be indicated by the way the inductors in the schematic are drawn. It was later that I found a message on this board from Ashhar stating the transformer should be 8 windings input and 10 windings output.

I changed this and a whole new situation occurred. After all it is all about impedance matching.
At 80m I now get a whopping 18 watts at 3,75A overall rig current which is still too high for battery powered. At 17m it reduces to 3 watts. On all bands I have a reasonably good efficiency now so I am making progress and getting closer. I need to work out the loss of 8 dB's in gain of the overall TX chain when going from 3.5MHz to 18 MHz. ( 3 versus 18 watts) Thanks to the WA2EBY article I have some ideas. 

Incidentally, it would be nice to see exactly how your particular layout
differs from that of hfsigs. Can you upload a picture or two?
And I presume it is more through-the-hole and not smd parts. No?
It may be that the choice of parts is more critical than first believed.

Well John, I will do so after I get some things sorted out. It's always a problem when you start with a nice idea and layout and after spending hours and hours of testing the end result looks less nice than it was when you started. It is mainly built in SMD style, using a mill to create the PCB lines. This is ideal for experimentation. I think my PCB size is about the same as the commercially sold one, but I use both sides of the PCB:

One side: Mic audio and speaker audio, modulator, crystal filter (with room for extra narrow crystal filter for CW) bitx blocks and all frequency converters, TX chain, LPF's and relays.

Other side: mic preamp, 3 holders for batteries, 4xAAA, 4xAAA, 2xAAA. (total of 10 penlights AAA makes 12 volts). charging circuit for these batteries to charge them from an external 12 volt power supply. (by splitting the battery pack into two parts and charge both parts seperately. I stole the idea from an ICOM CM7 battery pack) Also the speaker is included as well as connections to the arduino and SI5351 Adafruit board. I don't use the Raduino.

All is built in a single Teletron T813 housing. If all is well I will have a self powered uBitx with about the size of the housing of Ashhar's in his first uBitx video but about half the height. Google for the T813 or look here http://aprs.gids.nl/t813/t813dt_03.jpg for an idea.
I'll make some photos soon.

Thanks for sharing ideas and experiences, it all helps.

73, Alex
PA1FOX

Re: uBitx AGC mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

*dingdingding* cool, thank you Mike!  Good to have a more solid source on that.  I've made sure to bookmark the particular link to the full book, and add a copy to my personal library.

I think tonight I'm also going to have to break out my copy of EMIRD, see if I can find anything else in there.

I'm not super-inspired to design my own AGC circuit for this mod, mostly would prefer to use something known / proven to work well :)  Plenty for future reference though...

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 7:48 AM, Michael Hagen <motdog@...> wrote:

Maybe this?

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap13.pdf

Mike, WA6ISP



On 1/3/2018 2:02 AM, William R Maxwell wrote:

Ah, thankls.


On 3/01/2018 7:14 PM, Alan G4NMA wrote:
'Harris' appears to be Frank W Harris K0IYE.


-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Re: uBitx AGC mod

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>
 

Looking at that circuit emitter on q5/q4 going though inductor and resistor to RX vc RX vc I take is positive since when do you have collector to collector in each of the 2 transistors and both been non don't seam correct to me 

On 3 Jan 2018 15:48, "Michael Hagen" <motdog@...> wrote:

Maybe this?

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap13.pdf

Mike, WA6ISP



On 1/3/2018 2:02 AM, William R Maxwell wrote:

Ah, thankls.


On 3/01/2018 7:14 PM, Alan G4NMA wrote:
'Harris' appears to be Frank W Harris K0IYE.


-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Re: uBitx AGC mod

Ken
 

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
*dingdingding* cool, thank you Mike!  Good to have a more solid source on that.  I've made sure to bookmark the particular link to the full book, and add a copy to my personal library.

I think tonight I'm also going to have to break out my copy of EMIRD, see if I can find anything else in there.

I'm not super-inspired to design my own AGC circuit for this mod, mostly would prefer to use something known / proven to work well :)  Plenty for future reference though...

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 7:48 AM, Michael Hagen <motdog@...> wrote:

Maybe this?

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap13.pdf

Mike, WA6ISP



On 1/3/2018 2:02 AM, William R Maxwell wrote:

Ah, thankls.


On 3/01/2018 7:14 PM, Alan G4NMA wrote:
'Harris' appears to be Frank W Harris K0IYE.


-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?


Almost all of the firmware has been modified to fix known bugs and enhance CAT communications.

Ian Lee
 

I have been working on the last weekend and is now in beta testing. As I worked on it, I modified a lot of code. so  want someone to help me with the beta test.
Of course, the firmware will be released soon and the source code will be released. Because we'll enjoy it with uBITX

Please email me if you have a test before the release.

Last full test Movie before release for tester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKS1p41CP_s&t=531s

To upgrade the firmware, click the link below. 
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/how-to-upgrade-ubitx-firmware.html

Since I have registered the original firmware on the link above, you can restore it to the original firmware whenever you do not like my new firmware.
Do not worry.

The firmware was based on Fashar's uBITX 0.2.

Modified or added functionality

1.Most of the bugs I found were fixed.
  - CW Tone code configuration Problem,
  - Frequency Control Problem - Go to 4 Ghz when going below 0,
  - Screen Update Problem,
  - Frequency Display Problem - Problems occur below 1Mhz,
   and more...

 2.Enhanced CAT communication.
  Compatible with FT-817 and FT-857.
  I tested HRD, WSJT-X, JT65-HF ...
  However, You may get an error re-organizing to release the program.

3.CAT communication is not broken in CW or TX mode.
 If communication is interrupted by strong radio waves, it will probably be recovered within 10 seconds.
 include auto recovery - I have been programming with the FT-817 about 15 years ago, but I have experienced some broken protocol on TX occasionally. So I put this feature in.

4.New CAT Protocol Implemention
  - Read Write Frequency
  - switch VFOA / VFOB 
  - Read Write CW Speed
  - Read Write CW Delay Time
  - Read Write CW Pitch (with sidetone)
 
  All of these can be controlled by Hamradio deluxe.

4.Save mode when switching to VFOA / VFOB
5.Ability to change CW Delay
  Since it is fixed at 600ms now, there is a problem when communicating over 15wpm.
  You can change it with the radio dial, or change it via Hamradio deluxe.

6.Added Dial Lock function
  Because the encoder is sensitive, the recognition frequency will change sometime. so Added Dial lock function
  Press the function key for more than 3 seconds to lock or unlock.
 
7.The first time you press the CW key, it reduces the time to TX.
  However, we have added a function that can delay the transmission time of CW when switching to TX by CW key.
  When I tested it with my receiver, there was no big problem in transferring without delay (TX -> CW Interval).  But I implemention a TX->CW interval feature for personal choice.
  This may be useful when using external amp.
 
And more small modifications...

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

Re: No TX #ubitx

joe kallo <quietglow@...>
 

Does it matter which side of the cap the antenna/lead is hooked to? If I were sitting at home instead of at work I'd probably just try both, but since I have a computer but not the radio here...

And the receiving radio I am using to test should pick up the weak signal w/o an antenna connected right? 

Sorry for the newb questions. I have lots of experience building electronics, but this is the first time I've messed with RF.

Re: Almost all of the firmware has been modified to fix known bugs and enhance CAT communications.

Ashhar Farhan
 

have you tried cat with wsjtx?

On 3 Jan 2018 9:48 pm, "Ian Lee" <kd8cec@...> wrote:
I have been working on the last weekend and is now in beta testing. As I worked on it, I modified a lot of code. so  want someone to help me with the beta test.
Of course, the firmware will be released soon and the source code will be released. Because we'll enjoy it with uBITX

Please email me if you have a test before the release.

Last full test Movie before release for tester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKS1p41CP_s&t=531s

To upgrade the firmware, click the link below. 
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/how-to-upgrade-ubitx-firmware.html

Since I have registered the original firmware on the link above, you can restore it to the original firmware whenever you do not like my new firmware.
Do not worry.

The firmware was based on Fashar's uBITX 0.2.

Modified or added functionality

1.Most of the bugs I found were fixed.
  - CW Tone code configuration Problem,
  - Frequency Control Problem - Go to 4 Ghz when going below 0,
  - Screen Update Problem,
  - Frequency Display Problem - Problems occur below 1Mhz,
   and more...

 2.Enhanced CAT communication.
  Compatible with FT-817 and FT-857.
  I tested HRD, WSJT-X, JT65-HF ...
  However, You may get an error re-organizing to release the program.

3.CAT communication is not broken in CW or TX mode.
 If communication is interrupted by strong radio waves, it will probably be recovered within 10 seconds.
 include auto recovery - I have been programming with the FT-817 about 15 years ago, but I have experienced some broken protocol on TX occasionally. So I put this feature in.

4.New CAT Protocol Implemention
  - Read Write Frequency
  - switch VFOA / VFOB 
  - Read Write CW Speed
  - Read Write CW Delay Time
  - Read Write CW Pitch (with sidetone)
 
  All of these can be controlled by Hamradio deluxe.

4.Save mode when switching to VFOA / VFOB
5.Ability to change CW Delay
  Since it is fixed at 600ms now, there is a problem when communicating over 15wpm.
  You can change it with the radio dial, or change it via Hamradio deluxe.

6.Added Dial Lock function
  Because the encoder is sensitive, the recognition frequency will change sometime. so Added Dial lock function
  Press the function key for more than 3 seconds to lock or unlock.
 
7.The first time you press the CW key, it reduces the time to TX.
  However, we have added a function that can delay the transmission time of CW when switching to TX by CW key.
  When I tested it with my receiver, there was no big problem in transferring without delay (TX -> CW Interval).  But I implemention a TX->CW interval feature for personal choice.
  This may be useful when using external amp.
 
And more small modifications...

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

Emailing: P1000560, P1000559

Michael Hagen
 

Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
P1000560
P1000559

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Re: uBitx AGC mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Ah-hah Chris, I see what you're saying.  I think you're right.  For simplicity, assuming RX_V is 10V and ignore R20 (120ohm), base of Q5 is 5V, the emitter (should be collector) is 10V through T4.

Methinks this will be something to simulate in LTSpice :)  I will probably also need to adjust for a 45MHz IF, this is probably designed for 12MHz reading the rest of the chapter.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:03 AM, chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...> wrote:
Looking at that circuit emitter on q5/q4 going though inductor and resistor to RX vc RX vc I take is positive since when do you have collector to collector in each of the 2 transistors and both been non don't seam correct to me 

On 3 Jan 2018 15:48, "Michael Hagen" <motdog@...> wrote:

Maybe this?

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap13.pdf

Mike, WA6ISP



On 1/3/2018 2:02 AM, William R Maxwell wrote:

Ah, thankls.


On 3/01/2018 7:14 PM, Alan G4NMA wrote:
'Harris' appears to be Frank W Harris K0IYE.


-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Re: Almost all of the firmware has been modified to fix known bugs and enhance CAT communications.

John Seboldt K0JD
 

Does the CW tone function actually change the CW offset as well, so if you tune to the sidetone pitch you're zero beat with the station?

John K0JD


On 1/3/2018 10:17, Ian Lee wrote:
I have been working on the last weekend and is now in beta testing. As I worked on it, I modified a lot of code. so  want someone to help me with the beta test.
Of course, the firmware will be released soon and the source code will be released. Because we'll enjoy it with uBITX

Please email me if you have a test before the release.

Last full test Movie before release for tester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKS1p41CP_s&t=531s

To upgrade the firmware, click the link below. 
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/how-to-upgrade-ubitx-firmware.html

Since I have registered the original firmware on the link above, you can restore it to the original firmware whenever you do not like my new firmware.
Do not worry.

The firmware was based on Fashar's uBITX 0.2.

Modified or added functionality

1.Most of the bugs I found were fixed.
  - CW Tone code configuration Problem,
  - Frequency Control Problem - Go to 4 Ghz when going below 0,
  - Screen Update Problem,
  - Frequency Display Problem - Problems occur below 1Mhz,
   and more...

 2.Enhanced CAT communication.
  Compatible with FT-817 and FT-857.
  I tested HRD, WSJT-X, JT65-HF ...
  However, You may get an error re-organizing to release the program.

3.CAT communication is not broken in CW or TX mode.
 If communication is interrupted by strong radio waves, it will probably be recovered within 10 seconds.
 include auto recovery - I have been programming with the FT-817 about 15 years ago, but I have experienced some broken protocol on TX occasionally. So I put this feature in.

4.New CAT Protocol Implemention
  - Read Write Frequency
  - switch VFOA / VFOB 
  - Read Write CW Speed
  - Read Write CW Delay Time
  - Read Write CW Pitch (with sidetone)
 
  All of these can be controlled by Hamradio deluxe.

4.Save mode when switching to VFOA / VFOB
5.Ability to change CW Delay
  Since it is fixed at 600ms now, there is a problem when communicating over 15wpm.
  You can change it with the radio dial, or change it via Hamradio deluxe.

6.Added Dial Lock function
  Because the encoder is sensitive, the recognition frequency will change sometime. so Added Dial lock function
  Press the function key for more than 3 seconds to lock or unlock.
 
7.The first time you press the CW key, it reduces the time to TX.
  However, we have added a function that can delay the transmission time of CW when switching to TX by CW key.
  When I tested it with my receiver, there was no big problem in transferring without delay (TX -> CW Interval).  But I implemention a TX->CW interval feature for personal choice.
  This may be useful when using external amp.
 
And more small modifications...

--
Best 73
KD8CEC / Ph.D ian lee
kd8cec@...
www.hamskey.com (my blog)

Re: Almost all of the firmware has been modified to fix known bugs and enhance CAT communications.

tom van der meer
 

Ft8 working great with beta

Re: Mics, speech processor? #ubitx

Michael Hagen
 

Here is my mic with a speech processor in it.  I used the Mic and Sw supplied with BitX.

The PCB is tiny and fits up in the mic tube.  All parts were 3d Printed.

I have only tested it on the scope, the pot can adjust the output all the way to zero.

Testing showed constant output with 1-10mv signal from a generator.

I have provided a schematic.  It is basically made from an AP Note on the IC.

I also have a PCB in BitX that senses the PTT switch on the mic and activates Transmit.

This saves a wire to the Mic, and I can use standard 3.5 mm Stereo cord.   A 6 ft. double ended male was

0.99 at the 99 Cent store,  I cut it in half, making 2 cables.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP


On 1/3/2018 7:39 AM, Arvo KD9HLC via Groups.Io wrote:
A couple of people are looking at an Analog Devices SSM2167 chip on a board.

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/6468223

I'm waiting for mine to come in.

-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Re: BCI filter question.

ohwenzelph
 

If you search the QST archives for his call”
not exactly details but helpful, with the $5 claim, I thought you might have something specific in mind
was it the feb 1978 bc band energy-a rejection filter
or
March 1983 

Alternative Filter Design
(Technical Correspondence)?
thanks


Re: Mics, speech processor? #ubitx

Michael Monteith
 

Arvo,
 Keep us posted.  Mine is in shipping too.  Unless the weather changes it might be a while before I could test mine.  My shop is in the garage which is barely above freezing at this point and might be by now. I do think it has potential.  Anxious to see now.

Thanks
73, Michael
KM4OLT

Re: Almost all of the firmware has been modified to fix known bugs and enhance CAT communications.

Jerry Gaffke
 

True in Farhan's original release.
From line 297 of ubitx_20.ino:
    //shif the first oscillator to the tx frequency directly
    //the key up and key down will toggle the carrier unbalancing
    //the exact cw frequency is the tuned frequency + sidetone
    if (isUSB)
      si5351bx_setfreq(2, frequency + sideTone);
    else
      si5351bx_setfreq(2, frequency - sideTone);

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 08:38 am, John Seboldt K0JD wrote:
Does the CW tone function actually change the CW offset as well, so if you tune to the sidetone pitch you're zero beat with the station?

Re: Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

David Arthur
 

Jack, I've got that exact one sitting on my desk right now. As stated above, it is rather bulky. For now I just have it sitting unmounted inside my bitx40 case so I can access the port without dismounting my Raduino. I think it could be mounted _inside_ a panel to reduce the amount of exterior space required, but it still adds quite a bit of bulk.



On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:41 AM Doug W <KD9CYF@...> wrote:
It would require a new connector or adapter but here is another option if you are better at circles than squares.
https://www.amazon.com/BATIGE-Female-Extension-Motorcycle-Dashboard/dp/B01LYC9NC6



or one like this with an audio jack


Doug   KD9CYF


--
David K4DBZ
Unofficial bitx chatroom: https://discord.gg/CrHvWFc

Re: Mics, speech processor? #ubitx

David Arthur
 

I have this module from Adafruit https://www.adafruit.com/product/1713. I don't have a quantitative way to measure how effective it is, but when I hook it up to headphones or my computer line-in the fidelity and gain is _excellent_. You really have to give a loud shout to encounter any clipping. Downside is it will absolutely pick up background noise if you're keyed and not talking :). For now I have it powered by 3 AAA batteries, the plan is to use a 3.3V regulator off the 12V bitx line to power it. 

Still need to figure out a case for it though...

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 12:17 PM Michael Monteith via Groups.Io <michael_r_monteith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Arvo,
 Keep us posted.  Mine is in shipping too.  Unless the weather changes it might be a while before I could test mine.  My shop is in the garage which is barely above freezing at this point and might be by now. I do think it has potential.  Anxious to see now.

Thanks
73, Michael
KM4OLT


--
David K4DBZ
Unofficial bitx chatroom: https://discord.gg/CrHvWFc

Re: Mics, speech processor? #ubitx

MAc B
 

Adafruit and aliexpress module are the same, based on MAXIM max9814 chip.

It,s guite good compressor, for our needs is as good as AD's SSM2165/2167

And it is icredibly cheap.

MAc