Date   
New

Ham
 

Re: C;hanging frequencies on the Raduino

Dale Brooks KG7SSB <kg7ssb@...>
 

Thanks Jerry for the help. I'll try this out later in the week.  Dale

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
Hi side VFO while operating in lower-sideband mode on the Bitx40 requires lowering the BFO frequency a few khz.
So you need version 2 of Allards firmware plus the associated hardware mods, one of which drives the BFO
from the si5351's clk0.    https://github.com/amunters/bitx40-raduino-v2


On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 09:36 pm, Dale Brooks KG7SSB wrote:
Hi Guys, could someone tell me what I would have to do to change my VFO frequency from the normal 4.7-5.0 mhz to 19.0-19.3 mhz. on my bitx40 rig. I'm using Allards ver 1.27.2 at this time but I would like to go on the high side of my IF to rid it of a nasty birdie at 7.2mhz. I remember back many weeks ago there was a bunch of threads having to do with this issue so if it already exists please help me locate the info. I'm still trying to learn the digital side of this thing so I'm not real good at processor mods. Thanks for the help:::Dale 


Re: New

Arvo W0VRA
 

You got a cool username anyway. :-)

Selecting the correct BFO frequency

Kerr Smith
 

I have just finished my initial design for my BFO and am trying to decide on its correct frequency. So far I have the following details of the crystal filter it will be working in conjunction with:

crystal filter center: 9.998887MHz
insertion loss: 1.8dB - 2.6dB

-6dB points: 9.997667MHz and 10.000107MHz (2.44kHz wide)

-60dB points: 9.991216MHz and 10.002573MHz

BFO frequency: 9.998000MHz

From what I have read I think the current BFO frequency is a little low and it should be around (9.998887MHz + 2.5kHz) so 10.001387MHz.
Would it also work if I set the frequency to (9.998887 - 2.5kHz) so 9.996387MHz, I think it may be easier to lower the BFO frequency rather than raise it.

My receiver is going to be working on the 40m band, so I need to be getting the lower side band when listening, assuming I am just tuning via a capacitor or potentiometer driven VFO (have not decided yet) would it matter which of the two frequencies I chose as the BFO frequency as when tuning the lower side band signal would pass through the crystal filter's pass band at some point and so beat against this frequency?

Re: elves are at it

Dexter N Muir
 

Retirement would be good if ...
From age about 6 I knew I'd be involved in Electronics in some form. Here in NZ that calling is treated as a J.O.B. - Just Over Broke. Result: the career (Electronics, later 'and computing' Technician) had a 'use by' date and at 50, having never earned the national 'average' income, I was too old - on the scrap-heap - with 15 years of useful and gainful employment available till 'retirement age'. Now on pension, scraping by with no reserves ...
Your mileage has varied, and I envy you your comfort and productivity ...
73 de ZL2DEX

Re: #ubitx Re: Ubitx only on preorder now #ubitx

K9WIS
 

Just got an email from hf signals acknowledging my order and payment on Dec 14th, two weeks ago...No indication of when they will ship..
Brian K9WIS

Re: elves are at it

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

Looking to killing it in retirement.  The rest is blurry. 


Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com


email:  bill@...

 


On Jan 1, 2018, at 1:01 PM, Dexter N Muir <dexy@...> wrote:

Retirement would be good if ...
From age about 6 I knew I'd be involved in Electronics in some form. Here in NZ that calling is treated as a J.O.B. - Just Over Broke. Result: the career (Electronics, later 'and computing' Technician) had a 'use by' date and at 50, having never earned the national 'average' income, I was too old - on the scrap-heap - with 15 years of useful and gainful employment available till 'retirement age'. Now on pension, scraping by with no reserves ...
Your mileage has varied, and I envy you your comfort and productivity ...
73 de ZL2DEX

Re: Selecting the correct BFO frequency

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>
 

Set it 20dB down the skirt.

Dave WI6R

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2018, at 11:00 AM, Kerr Smith <kerrsmithusa@...> wrote:

I have just finished my initial design for my BFO and am trying to decide on its correct frequency. So far I have the following details of the crystal filter it will be working in conjunction with:

crystal filter center: 9.998887MHz
insertion loss: 1.8dB - 2.6dB

-6dB points: 9.997667MHz and 10.000107MHz (2.44kHz wide)

-60dB points: 9.991216MHz and 10.002573MHz

BFO frequency: 9.998000MHz

From what I have read I think the current BFO frequency is a little low and it should be around (9.998887MHz + 2.5kHz) so 10.001387MHz.
Would it also work if I set the frequency to (9.998887 - 2.5kHz) so 9.996387MHz, I think it may be easier to lower the BFO frequency rather than raise it.

My receiver is going to be working on the 40m band, so I need to be getting the lower side band when listening, assuming I am just tuning via a capacitor or potentiometer driven VFO (have not decided yet) would it matter which of the two frequencies I chose as the BFO frequency as when tuning the lower side band signal would pass through the crystal filter's pass band at some point and so beat against this frequency?

Re: elves are at it

K9WIS
 

If I ever run across the guidance couselor that told me electronics was the wave of the future when I was in high school 50 years ago I would punch him in the nose...hi hi..I learned that it takes years of education and training to become an electronics engineer, but no training what so ever to be an electronics engineer's boss. so after 40 years of below average wages I retired. so it looks like we had similar experiences.
My boss whose mission was to keep wages down and 'evaluate performance' even though he had no experience at it, made twice as much as I did.
hi hi..But Im not bitter...
Brian K9WIS

Re: elves are at it

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>
 

Jack,

I keep trying to retire. I swear the third time must be the charm. I could be good at retirement. 

Ok on hardware, coming back was fun. Software that was 25 to 50 years ago (yes software at hp in 1967), So hope to join the new millennium now. LOL

Dave WI6R

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Dexter N Muir <dexy@...> wrote:

Retirement would be good if ...
From age about 6 I knew I'd be involved in Electronics in some form. Here in NZ that calling is treated as a J.O.B. - Just Over Broke. Result: the career (Electronics, later 'and computing' Technician) had a 'use by' date and at 50, having never earned the national 'average' income, I was too old - on the scrap-heap - with 15 years of useful and gainful employment available till 'retirement age'. Now on pension, scraping by with no reserves ...
Your mileage has varied, and I envy you your comfort and productivity ...
73 de ZL2DEX

Re: #ubitx Re: Ubitx only on preorder now #ubitx

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>
 

I ordered mine last night and got the HF signals email today I an on pre order got it for the 109 dollar price so I am happy 
Chris G0WFH 

On 1 Jan 2018 19:16, "B C" <k9wis@...> wrote:
Just got an email from hf signals acknowledging my order and payment on Dec 14th, two weeks ago...No indication of when they will ship..
Brian K9WIS



Re: Variable power control

John Seager <jseager2009@...>
 

Arv, a) Happy New Year. b) Aside from using an attenuator, drive is controlled by
the preset RV1. This could be replaced by a variable pot., perhaps on the back panel. 
However I think it was Farhan who pointed out a long time ago that the only problem
with this is the temptation to keep turning it up!  73,  John  G0UCP



On Monday, 1 January 2018, 17:05, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:



On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 9:19 AM, <ad4xx@...> wrote:
I'd love it if I could add a variable control to adjust output power on the uBitx.  After looking for solutions, I understand now that it's not a simple add of a potentiometer.  Anyone done this yet?




Virus-free. www.avast.com

Re: elves are at it

Leland Lannoye
 

Sounds like many experiences I have heard both in and out of the confessional.  Would a bigger salary habe enhanced any thing of real importance?



Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: B C <k9wis@...>
Date: 1/1/18 14:30 (GMT-05:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] elves are at it

If I ever run across the guidance couselor that told me electronics was the wave of the future when I was in high school 50 years ago I would punch him in the nose...hi hi..I learned that it takes years of education and training to become an electronics engineer, but no training what so ever to be an electronics engineer's boss. so after 40 years of below average wages I retired. so it looks like we had similar experiences.
My boss whose mission was to keep wages down and 'evaluate performance' even though he had no experience at it, made twice as much as I did.
hi hi..But Im  not bitter...
Brian K9WIS



Re: Variable power control

Jerry Gaffke
 

Farhan did, using RV1.
Alternately, build a new mike preamp with audio gain control, though that solution will not affect CW power level.


On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 08:19 am, <ad4xx@...> wrote:
I'd love it if I could add a variable control to adjust output power on the uBitx.  After looking for solutions, I understand now that it's not a simple add of a potentiometer.  Anyone done this yet?

Re: Selecting the correct BFO frequency

Jerry Gaffke
 

I assume this is a single conversion receiver, like the Bitx40.
With the BFO set above the crystal filter, you get a lower sideband signal at around 10mhz.

Assume you wish to transmit at 7mhz.
You could put the VFO at 3mhz,  stuff at 10mhz would get converted to 10-3 = 7.0mhz,
and stuff at 9.999mhz would get converted to 9.999 - 3 = 6.999mhz.
This has the advantage of a low frequency VFO which is likely to be more stable.
But you need the BFO on the high side of the crystal filter.

Or you could put the VFO at 17mhz, stuff at 10mhz would get converted to 17-10 = 7,.0mhz,
and stuff at 9.999mhz would get converted to 17-9.999 = 7.001mhz, so now an upper sideband signal.
To compensate, you want the BFO on the low side of the crystal filter go generate 10mhz USB
which gets flipped to 7mhz LSB.  The advantage is fewer birdies because mixer products
of the VFO haromonics are all well above the operating frequency, but the VFO won't be so stable.

VFO stability is not such an issue if you go to the $1 si5351 instead of building a traditional VFO
using analog techniques.
 
Jerry, KE7ER


On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:00 am, Kerr Smith wrote:
From what I have read I think the current BFO frequency is a little low and it should be around (9.998887MHz + 2.5kHz) so 10.001387MHz.
Would it also work if I set the frequency to (9.998887 - 2.5kHz) so 9.996387MHz, I think it may be easier to lower the BFO frequency rather than raise it.

SYMBOLS

rf200655
 

Where do you get symbols ike headphone, key , mic  ?
Have decal paper so far no luck finding symbols .
Thanks Ray
KC4DYM

Re: SYMBOLS

Jeffrey Peters <dek9jp@...>
 

Hello Ray,

Great question. I just googled symbols for each morse code key, headphone, and microphone.
The Google images webpages had lots of symbols for each.  Now, to see if there is a better
place to find them.

HNY, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:27 PM, rf200655 <crf2@...> wrote:
Where do you get symbols ike headphone, key , mic  ?
Have decal paper so far no luck finding symbols .
Thanks Ray
KC4DYM




--
Not all of me will die - - - The good I do will live forever.  <><

New file uploaded to BITX20@groups.io

BITX20@groups.io Notification <BITX20+notification@...>
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BITX20@groups.io group.

File: ubitx_chassis_122617.pdf

Uploaded By: Ken wa4mnt

Description:
Fabricated PCB uBITX case

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/ubitx_chassis_122617.pdf

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Re: Variable power control

Clark Martin
 

That’s easy enough to fix.  You put a power control pot (2 terminals only) between the +5V and the bias pot(s).  You set the power control to maximum and adjust each bias pot(s) for for the proper current draw.  Now you can turn down the bias / power, as you please.  But you can’t turn it up past “full”.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jan 1, 2018, at 11:54 AM, John Seager <jseager2009@...> wrote:

Arv, a) Happy New Year. b) Aside from using an attenuator, drive is controlled by
the preset RV1. This could be replaced by a variable pot., perhaps on the back panel. 
However I think it was Farhan who pointed out a long time ago that the only problem
with this is the temptation to keep turning it up!  73,  John  G0UCP



Re: Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Not sure how I could do CW filter mods without significant mods.  What I'd like for most of the mods is one-wire in, one wire out.  Narrower CW filtering can be achieved by changing the cap values on the Bitx, so that's not one I'd probably aim for.
When you say clean keying for CW, I assume it's clicky, and has sharp edges?  Could be doable with a keyshaper on the output of the CW Tone.  I'll consider it.
QSK:  Pretty significant modification, one I'm not going to attempt with this pass I think.
Digital mode audio/PTT:  PTT in the works, digital mode would just require isolated transformers, no?
AGC: In the works :)
SWR Gauge:  In the works :)
ATU:  In the works :)
CAT Control:  In the works :)

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM, KD8CGH <rkayakr@...> wrote:
Narrower audio filters for CW
Clean keying for CW
Pop elimination
QSK
Digital mode audio interface + PTT
AGC
SWR gauge
Auto Tuner
CAT control




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?