Date   

Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

 

That is normal. Not an issue.

Raj


At 14/01/2021, you wrote:
Ok... New development. So I haven't checked voltages yet. I did notice however that's the antenna jack shows as a dead short on my vom? Is that normal? I thought it was my coax but it shows continuity 0.0ohms  at the actual bnc connector.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 6:14 PM andrewandsadie.am via groups.io <andrewandsadie.am =gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Your the man!
Thank you very much, I will check it out and report findings�


Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

 

Again you attached the messed up and edited doc of mine!
The excel file in the folders section is updated.

At 14/01/2021, you wrote:
KN4VCT,

I would suggest you start with a static voltage test around Q90 when transmitting, no audio. That test has been the most used to verify that Q90 is dead. If the test does indicate a dead Q90, then remove it and verify that the receive function is now OK.

The other way to check Q90 would be to measure the CW power output, best into a dummy load, but can be a tuned antenna. Should be around 10watts on 80 through 20 meters.

Make sure that the receive level dropping is not changing band conditions, though I will assume since you have another rig that you did that comparison already.

I would start with the power and voltage check.

Attached is a pdf with the voltages for most of the transistors:

Good luck in resolving your problem.
73
Evan
AC9TU


Re: TSW's New Teensy 4.1 Raduino #ubitxv6

barry halterman
 

Jim, I will do more typing practice.. Yes, the timer would be good.
One bug with the cw key board. If you type fairly far ahead and load up the buffer the radio will lock up. I have duplicated this from 30 wpm to 50 wpm, using both a wired and wireless board.
Did a lot of quick red fox jumping over the lazy brown dogs back in my testing. Well at least that was what I was trying to type. Hi hi
Barry

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 6:41 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:
Thanks Barry.  The “TUNE” function is a great Idea, BUT, if someone accidentally turns it on without an antenna connected, bye-bye uBITX.  We might add it with a 15 second MAX timer and if you need more time, just hit it again.  

The backspace coding with the simple buffer we are using turned out to be a nightmare to code and we decided it ain’t gonna happen, sorry.

I’ll run the TUNE feature by Ron.  It will be a while before any updates are published though, so just plug in a hand key, or, use your mic button in CW mode.  For now, thats actually the best way.  We don’t want a lot of “feature creep” to happen.  Confuses the heck out of the appliance operators & newbies.

Jim 


On Jan 13, 2021, at 5:25 PM, barry halterman <kthreebo@...> wrote:


Jim, looks good. Two recommendations for the wish list. The cw keyboard does not have backspace function to allow sloppy typists, like me, to go back and correct poor spelling or clumsy, fat fingering the keys. Some of the earliest boards were like that, but newer one like the K1EL K40 do have that feature.

Second, it would be nice to have a tune function that puts the tx on the air to tune up an antenna tuner.
No mouse poop seen ! :)
Barry
K3bo

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

The TSW team is back to work after a holiday break.  We have sold a number of our newest Teensy 4.1 Raduino kits and now we have some pretty stable and unique software available for it.  With a small hardware modification to add a USB “A” connection from the Teensy 4.1 to the radio’s back panel, it adds almost total mouse control that parallels (and even improves on) touch control.  It can also use a USB keyboard for many of the control functions as well as direct frequency entry.  An added feature of the KB is it has a buffered CW keyer mode.  

The details for ordering the T4.1 Raduino kit are on TSW’s website, w0eb.com along with the kit construction manual and the software operating manual.  That way, folks can see how easy it is to build and can check out how the software operates before deciding whether or not to order one.

Attached is the operating manual for the new software.

Jim, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator


Re: uBITX Display Emulation / Screen Capture

Jack, W8TEE
 

Hi Dean:

Probably 99% of the time the String class won't be an issue, but when it does, it can be like herding cats finding the source of the bug. I find the old string str* and mem* functions get 'er done just fine. No sense tempting Fate.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 9:33:05 PM EST, Dean Souleles <dsouleles@...> wrote:


On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 08:42 PM, Mark Erbaugh wrote:
Thanks so much for the screen dump code. I added it to my sketch, changing it to just return binary image data. I wrote a Python script to capture the data and convert it to an image. The result is attached.
Fine business Mark - very cool and I would not have thought to approach the problem that way - although I suppose I should have.  I'm Python challenged so wouldn't mind seeing your PC script if you don't mind sharing.

And Jack - after having read your String caution I now must go write a bunch of messy strncats and strcpys - ah the price we pay for no garbage collection in our language (as opposed the the performance penalty if we actually had proper memory management and garbage collection).  I  looked through my code - 99% of my String use is in building Debug messages that are only conditionally compiled with #defines - so I will probably ignore those and concentrate on the 1%.  

Spent today replacing the SSD boot drive in my main Win 10 machine - was giving a SMART error on boot up but still working.  Microsoft recovery image restore ran right to the end and then gave a cryptic "parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" error message - some programmer should be shot.  The entire Internet has different opinions about what that means and different solutions for how to fix it - none of which fixed my instance of it.  Third party disk clone software saved the day. 

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate computers? (said the retired CTO).

Cheers and 73,
Dean
KK4DAS

--
Jack, W8TEE


Re: uBITX Display Emulation / Screen Capture

Dean Souleles
 

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 08:42 PM, Mark Erbaugh wrote:
Thanks so much for the screen dump code. I added it to my sketch, changing it to just return binary image data. I wrote a Python script to capture the data and convert it to an image. The result is attached.
Fine business Mark - very cool and I would not have thought to approach the problem that way - although I suppose I should have.  I'm Python challenged so wouldn't mind seeing your PC script if you don't mind sharing.

And Jack - after having read your String caution I now must go write a bunch of messy strncats and strcpys - ah the price we pay for no garbage collection in our language (as opposed the the performance penalty if we actually had proper memory management and garbage collection).  I  looked through my code - 99% of my String use is in building Debug messages that are only conditionally compiled with #defines - so I will probably ignore those and concentrate on the 1%.  

Spent today replacing the SSD boot drive in my main Win 10 machine - was giving a SMART error on boot up but still working.  Microsoft recovery image restore ran right to the end and then gave a cryptic "parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)" error message - some programmer should be shot.  The entire Internet has different opinions about what that means and different solutions for how to fix it - none of which fixed my instance of it.  Third party disk clone software saved the day. 

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate computers? (said the retired CTO).

Cheers and 73,
Dean
KK4DAS


Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

Andrew Mullen
 

Cw power output seems ok as well  by the way.


On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 9:29 PM Andrew Mullen via groups.io <andrewandsadie.am=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ok... New development. So I haven't checked voltages yet. I did notice however that's the antenna jack shows as a dead short on my vom? Is that normal? I thought it was my coax but it shows continuity 0.0ohms  at the actual bnc connector.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 6:14 PM andrewandsadie.am via groups.io <andrewandsadie.am=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Your the man!
Thank you very much, I will check it out and report findings👍


Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

Andrew Mullen
 

Ok... New development. So I haven't checked voltages yet. I did notice however that's the antenna jack shows as a dead short on my vom? Is that normal? I thought it was my coax but it shows continuity 0.0ohms  at the actual bnc connector.


On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 6:14 PM andrewandsadie.am via groups.io <andrewandsadie.am=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Your the man!
Thank you very much, I will check it out and report findings👍


uBITX Rasperry Pi 0

Mark Erbaugh
 

I know next to nothing about it, but would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi Zero as a controller for a uBITX style radio? I looked at the Pi Zero pinout and there appear to be an adequate number of I/O pins as well as support for SPI and I2C. Having 512 MB of RAM and virtually unlimited SD Card storage, at $5 (USD) it looks like an alternative to the Arduino's or Teensy's.

73,
Mark, N8ME


Re: TSW's New Teensy 4.1 Raduino #ubitxv6

Jim Sheldon
 

Thanks Barry.  The “TUNE” function is a great Idea, BUT, if someone accidentally turns it on without an antenna connected, bye-bye uBITX.  We might add it with a 15 second MAX timer and if you need more time, just hit it again.  

The backspace coding with the simple buffer we are using turned out to be a nightmare to code and we decided it ain’t gonna happen, sorry.

I’ll run the TUNE feature by Ron.  It will be a while before any updates are published though, so just plug in a hand key, or, use your mic button in CW mode.  For now, thats actually the best way.  We don’t want a lot of “feature creep” to happen.  Confuses the heck out of the appliance operators & newbies.

Jim 


On Jan 13, 2021, at 5:25 PM, barry halterman <kthreebo@...> wrote:


Jim, looks good. Two recommendations for the wish list. The cw keyboard does not have backspace function to allow sloppy typists, like me, to go back and correct poor spelling or clumsy, fat fingering the keys. Some of the earliest boards were like that, but newer one like the K1EL K40 do have that feature.

Second, it would be nice to have a tune function that puts the tx on the air to tune up an antenna tuner.
No mouse poop seen ! :)
Barry
K3bo

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

The TSW team is back to work after a holiday break.  We have sold a number of our newest Teensy 4.1 Raduino kits and now we have some pretty stable and unique software available for it.  With a small hardware modification to add a USB “A” connection from the Teensy 4.1 to the radio’s back panel, it adds almost total mouse control that parallels (and even improves on) touch control.  It can also use a USB keyboard for many of the control functions as well as direct frequency entry.  An added feature of the KB is it has a buffered CW keyer mode.  

The details for ordering the T4.1 Raduino kit are on TSW’s website, w0eb.com along with the kit construction manual and the software operating manual.  That way, folks can see how easy it is to build and can check out how the software operates before deciding whether or not to order one.

Attached is the operating manual for the new software.

Jim, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator


Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

Andrew Mullen
 

Your the man!
Thank you very much, I will check it out and report findings👍


Disable screen for energy saving

Rafael Diniz
 

Can I signal any arduino pin to shutdown the screen in my ubitx v6?

Thanks,
Rafael PU2UIT


Re: TSW's New Teensy 4.1 Raduino #ubitxv6

barry halterman
 

Jim, looks good. Two recommendations for the wish list. The cw keyboard does not have backspace function to allow sloppy typists, like me, to go back and correct poor spelling or clumsy, fat fingering the keys. Some of the earliest boards were like that, but newer one like the K1EL K40 do have that feature.

Second, it would be nice to have a tune function that puts the tx on the air to tune up an antenna tuner.
No mouse poop seen ! :)
Barry
K3bo


On Wed, Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

The TSW team is back to work after a holiday break.  We have sold a number of our newest Teensy 4.1 Raduino kits and now we have some pretty stable and unique software available for it.  With a small hardware modification to add a USB “A” connection from the Teensy 4.1 to the radio’s back panel, it adds almost total mouse control that parallels (and even improves on) touch control.  It can also use a USB keyboard for many of the control functions as well as direct frequency entry.  An added feature of the KB is it has a buffered CW keyer mode.  

The details for ordering the T4.1 Raduino kit are on TSW’s website, w0eb.com along with the kit construction manual and the software operating manual.  That way, folks can see how easy it is to build and can check out how the software operates before deciding whether or not to order one.

Attached is the operating manual for the new software.

Jim, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator


TSW's New Teensy 4.1 Raduino #ubitxv6

Jim Sheldon
 

The TSW team is back to work after a holiday break.  We have sold a number of our newest Teensy 4.1 Raduino kits and now we have some pretty stable and unique software available for it.  With a small hardware modification to add a USB “A” connection from the Teensy 4.1 to the radio’s back panel, it adds almost total mouse control that parallels (and even improves on) touch control.  It can also use a USB keyboard for many of the control functions as well as direct frequency entry.  An added feature of the KB is it has a buffered CW keyer mode.  

The details for ordering the T4.1 Raduino kit are on TSW’s website, w0eb.com along with the kit construction manual and the software operating manual.  That way, folks can see how easy it is to build and can check out how the software operates before deciding whether or not to order one.

Attached is the operating manual for the new software.

Jim, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator


Re: bitx20 3C SBL - Bandpass filter inductor issue

 

Hi again,

It's usually pretty easy to tell if a pin got pushed in.  As long as the shield cans are all sitting flat against the PCB, then the pins on the other side should all be at the same level.  If any are shorter, it likely means those that are got pushed in.

It is possible to de-solder just the shield can tabs, and then pull the cans off from the top.  Just be careful as some have plastic side bits that come off with the can (be sure to observe their position so you can put them back the same way).

73,   Mark


Re: #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

Evan Hand
 

KN4VCT,

I would suggest you start with a static voltage test around Q90 when transmitting, no audio.  That test has been the most used to verify that Q90 is dead.  If the test does indicate a dead Q90, then remove it and verify that the receive function is now OK.

The other way to check Q90 would be to measure the CW power output, best into a dummy load, but can be a tuned antenna.  Should be around 10watts on 80 through 20 meters.

Make sure that the receive level dropping is not changing band conditions, though I will assume since you have another rig that you did that comparison already.

I would start with the power and voltage check.

Attached is a pdf with the voltages for most of the transistors:

Good luck in resolving your problem.
73
Evan
AC9TU


#v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help #v6 #ubitxv6 #ubitxv6-help

Andrew Mullen
 

Hello,
 
I'm in a bit of a pickle and would seriously appreciate any guidance that might come my way. I recently purchased a U-BITX V6 XCRV, after assembled I powered on the unit and was met with plenty of loud clear signals. After, making a couple of contacts and switching over to FT8 with my 100W rig I later powered on the U-BITX only to realize it was deaf. Tuning through the bands, I noticed that I could only slightly detect even the strongest of signals ( Volume all the way up ). There is a very strong possibility that I have overloaded the front end by transmitting with my full powered rig in close proximity. I have some basic understanding of electronics, but beyond that I am unsure as to where I need to start troubleshooting. I greatly appreciate any advice and I am willing to do research, I just don't know where to start.
 
I have read several reports of excessive voltage into the antenna jack causing the q90 to short ( emitter to base ) just a thought. Like I said, I do get some FAINT audio on very strong signals. Headphones make no difference and CW side tone - beeps are still very loud. I do have some test equipment at my disposal but not very much.
 
Thanks again to anyone willing to help,
 
KN4VCT


Re: bitx20 3C SBL - Bandpass filter inductor issue

Curt
 

Jason

I suggest a little more evaluation before removing the cans, to minimize damage. Did you check the capacitor values?  can you gently raise the inductor core to the top, maybe observing receive signal noise while you do it? Best to affirm its bad before trying to unsolder it.

Curt


Re: bitx20 3C SBL - Bandpass filter inductor issue

Pirok-W4UNX
 

I believe the pins went in okay (it was close to 4 years ago now that I started this project) but that is worth exploring. Just to be triply sure, I removed all solder off the cans/leads one at a time and reflowed them all. Now, as I sit here typing this, the fact that pressing on the cans and wiggling them changes the behavior, I may need to just take them apart and check out the internal connections. No sense putting it back in the case and taking it out if there is a bigger issue.

Thank you Mark! A big thank you to Sunil as well!
Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Jason Pirok

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:57 AM Mark - N7EKU <n7eku@...> wrote:
Hi Jason,

What capacitors do you have in the filter?  It is suggested to use the 33pF value as higher values might not give enough range on the inductors.

When the filter is adjusted correctly, normally the cores will be up near the top of the shield can -- not near the bottom.

Did they go into the boards OK?  Sometimes the pins get pushed into the forms when the inductors are pushed into the board.  If that happens, the thin winding wires may break off the pins.

73,


Mark



--
Jason Pirok
W4UNX


Re: QUESTION for All - EASY BITX - HP 2800 series Schottky Diodes for Mixer

Jerry Gaffke
 

Loris,

The very cheap ADE-1 level 7 diode ring mixer has an IP3 of around 15dBm (not dB),
good through 500mhz.  Not sure why the uBitx mixers could not approach 15dbm at 3-30mhz.

The SA612 draws a minuscule  2.4ma from a 5v supply, requires less LO drive,
and gives 17dB of signal gain (the ADE-1 incurs a 5dB loss).
But those advantages come with compromises, the dynamic range of the SA612 is limited.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 03:04 AM, Loris IW4AJR wrote:
Hi Henning,
Looking around in the various datasheets it seems to me that the IP3 story is not very satisfying.
In the HF, even the professional balanced mixers of the Minicircuits and MaCom give an IP3 ranging from -15 to a maximum of -20 dB, a simple NE612 still guarantees an IP3 of -13dB, I don't think that a manual construction of toroidal transformers and a ring of 4 diodes (more or less selected) can guarantee much more than the IP3 of a NE612.
Is it not by chance that all the experimenters have been very little interested in how to interface the NE612 both from the point of view of the input and output impedances and the power level of the LO?
I believe that a more accurate analysis would lead to very different results! ... is't it?
73 de


Re: QUESTION for All - EASY BITX - HP 2800 series Schottky Diodes for Mixer

 

Yes for sure,

Here is a good article to follow for matching them:  http://www.seekic.com/circuit_diagram/Measuring_and_Test_Circuit/Diode_Matching_for_Mixers.html

Make sure to handle the diodes with tweezers as body heat from your fingers will affect the measurement a lot.

73,   Mark

4261 - 4280 of 88661