Date   

Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi Loris,

Those older radios also don't have layers upon layers of menus just to dim the panel lights (or LEDs). That is something else I like about those wonderful older radios. I have some that were made in the early 70s (and even much older). When the electric utilities fail they don't work or they don;t work very long. The battery operated, low power radios just keep on banging away :) I paid less than a thousand dollars for the entire collection,

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 12:41 PM, IW4AJR Loris wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 05:01 PM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
Hi Loris,
...
73,
Bill KU8H
Hi Bill,
It is not necessary to have a "modern" radio to have a "perfect" radio for a thousand dollars ... try to compare the horrendous "modern" realizations with an "old" TR7, Collins KWM-380, TR4CW, Collins KWM or even better an old Signal-ONE CW-xxx series !!!
What a pity, they lack the whistles of the "modern" digital, they have a voice and a warm and welcoming CW sound, too bad, I miss the choked duck voice of the "very modern" FT1200 !!!! hehehe ...
For a thousand dollars you get a respectable shack, of course it doesn't have all the lights, useless knobs, keyboards and switches of the modern ones, but if you don't try to make your PC do the OM by himself, but you try to do the HAM alone, with a little patience, a little bit of practice and a lot of passion, you do much more and more pleasantly (for years and not days) than what you do by spending more than the price of your home!
Cordial greetings ...
de IW4AJR Loris


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.29r

Dave Bescoby
 


This sounds like a rather good idea - a super-Radiuno board that plugs into the existing ubitx. It would then presumably also provide an easy upgrade path for pre-v6 owners too if they wanted to go that way. 

Cheers,

Dave.


Sent from ProtonMail Mobile


On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 13:12, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
I didnt make myself clear enough. My bad. My suggestion was produce the v7, as a super-raduino board that just plugs into the existing ubitx. The connectors haven't changed since v3.
A board with stm32 or teensy won't need a nextion display. It can easily drive a dumb display. The jackal board does this, the tsw project is another admirable effort.
These boards wont need any special coils or RF transformers.
- f

On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 12:21 PM Bob Lunsford via groups.io, <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My concern is that moving the assembly of the V6, etc., to obtain parts here in the USA would also require that the toroids be wound here in America.

I appreciate much that the Indian women at HF Signals are winding the toiroids and are doing the assembly. I have wound single layer and trifilar toroids and while it is something I can do, it is tedious as I have had extensive eye surgery (three on left eye and five on right eye) due to double retinal detachment and cataracts.

The women there are expert and professional and I am more than willing to pay for them to do it: It's one of many reasons to buy the HF Signal transceivers rather than build it here and then (possibly) go through a trouble-shooting phase.

The alignment is another issue since it's ready to work out of the box and while others may see alignment as a simple task and while I could perfect the process with some time and experimentation, I'd rather just use the radio right off than go through a possible delaying process. Incidentally, I have built most of what Heathkit had in the transceiver and accessories line and such activity would be more a challenge at this point in my life than gaining a sense of accomplishment.

Therefore, even if HF Signals offers a "streamlined kit" with specific parts like PC board and unique parts, I sincerely hope that kits such as the Basic Kit and Complete Kit continue to be available.

I just sent my V6 to my mountain-topping son in California (N5DIM) and almost immediately ordered another Complete Kit for my personal use. Ease of use is a factor but the receiver in the V6 is hard to beat for being so sensitive and quiet. Congratulations in sharing such a unique radio with such simplicity of operation. For what it is, the V6 is unbeatable...!

Kudos must also go to the women at HF Signals who are, in my opinion, top-of-the line builders/assemblers. It's almost as if the toroids were machine-made. They must have achieved their own level of quality control due to the boards are top level quality both in layout and build.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 1:28:21 AM EDT, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:


HF Signals is reluctantly in this business.  It doesnt make sense to move parts from Mouser, Ohio to Hyderabad, have them assembled and then shipped back to Tennessee. Why wait for them to make this move? The suggestions can all be incorporated into a single plug in-board (the audio connector and Raduino are in the same line to allow a single board to plugin). 
Between Hobby PCB and mouser all the parts can be easily procured. The hf signals boards cost twice what you will pay in components and pcb. It is just all the transport, soldering, testing and administration costs.

Unlike qcx or xeigu, bitx radios are open with hardware and software. My idea was to encourage a number of kitchen table businesses to turn out easy to understand and build radios. I hope others take up the slack.
- f



On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 9:06 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io, <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:26 AM, Gerard wrote:
As an owner of a V6 I would love to know what the detailed specifics are regarding the following:
Add CAG
Add core, capacitors, for noise of the connection of the Nextion
Modifications on some transistors of the emission chain
Changes to winding on the emission chain
thanks, sincerely
jerry aa1of
 




Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

IW4AJR Loris <lorisbollina@...>
 

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 05:01 PM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
Hi Loris,
...
73,

Bill KU8H
Hi Bill,
It is not necessary to have a "modern" radio to have a "perfect" radio for a thousand dollars ... try to compare the horrendous "modern" realizations with an "old" TR7, Collins KWM-380, TR4CW, Collins KWM or even better an old Signal-ONE CW-xxx series !!!
What a pity, they lack the whistles of the "modern" digital, they have a voice and a warm and welcoming CW sound, too bad, I miss the choked duck voice of the "very modern" FT1200 !!!! hehehe ...
For a thousand dollars you get a respectable shack, of course it doesn't have all the lights, useless knobs, keyboards and switches of the modern ones, but if you don't try to make your PC do the OM by himself, but you try to do the HAM alone, with a little patience, a little bit of practice and a lot of passion, you do much more and more pleasantly (for years and not days) than what you do by spending more than the price of your home!
Cordial greetings ...
de IW4AJR Loris


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

D C
 

I would like to see that the unit come out like your first PC's that came out, everything plugged into the motherboard, sound card, video, memory card, you only upgraded one card to improve your PC performance if one can be designed that way.  You only need to upgrade one part of the radio.

don

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:14 AM Gerard <kabupos@...> wrote:
Hello,
Yes, not in the good order. pb native language
for me CAG = Contrôle aautomatique du gain
for you AGC =automatic gain control
it’s a bit difficult for me, because I have to use "Reverso" each time to translate in both directions. So, there may be errors.
Anyway, thank you for your answers. I need to take some time to read them (Translate).
I think it’s good that everyone has given their opinion. Then it’s the builder who remains in charge of its manufacture. I am not a telecom engineer, but in my former job, meetings were held to see what is going well and what is not. This is to improve the product. This procedure is purely of no contractual value.

cdt


Re: Yes, My homebrew µBitx now work!!

Gerard
 

Hello Evan,
I tested the amplifier. It’s working fine. I need to put shielded cables on the potentiometer because we’re picking up the 50Htz and it’s picking up a little bit. For Smeter, it works, but doesn’t move much.
2 cases, see settings with the manager, either connect behind the 1st amp to recover more signal.
cdt


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Gerard
 

Hello,
Yes, not in the good order. pb native language
for me CAG = Contrôle aautomatique du gain
for you AGC =automatic gain control
it’s a bit difficult for me, because I have to use "Reverso" each time to translate in both directions. So, there may be errors.
Anyway, thank you for your answers. I need to take some time to read them (Translate).
I think it’s good that everyone has given their opinion. Then it’s the builder who remains in charge of its manufacture. I am not a telecom engineer, but in my former job, meetings were held to see what is going well and what is not. This is to improve the product. This procedure is purely of no contractual value.

cdt


Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi Loris,

None of that was a complaint on my part. There are some simple things we can do to get better performance from the uBitX on CW. The digital modes use SSB anyway so those are not an issue at all. The original post asked about the CW problem with the original software. I told him (and any others) about the software solution. The dreadful lag (latency) is not due to any hardware design problems. The CW on my V3 was usable but not so smooth. Installing the CEC software cleaned that up for me on the V3. On the V6 it is Reed's software.

I have made some hardware changes and will make some other changes to my own V3. I wonder where we can buy one of the 'perfect', ready made radios for only $1000 these days. There are a few radios that cost more than I paid for my first house! Not something that appeals to me:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 9:49 AM, IW4AJR Loris wrote:
Hi Bill
The BITX and the whole µBITX series was born as an SSB rig, the possibility of use for the CW is only for occasional use as well as for other ways of communication (even the ILER series does the same), both start from the concept of limiting initial costs of the rig, for different uses it is expected that it can be hacked and modified for its own purposes ...
If you have chosen a KIT you have to expect that hardware and software variants are needed to use it the way you want it, if you want a smooth rig of any kind, you can spend a thousand dollars and solve the problems.
If, on the other hand, you want a KIT for CW or other digital modes of transmission, you have to orient yourself on other products, there are several specialized ones for digital transmissions, but obviously these do not transmit in SSB ...
Like it or not, you have to choose between one and the other or adapt to modify them or spend more thousands dollars !, The choice is yours.
Cordial greetings, de IW4AJR Loris


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.29r

IW4AJR Loris <lorisbollina@...>
 

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 02:13 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
I didnt make myself clear enough. My bad. My suggestion was produce the v7, as a super-raduino board that just plugs into the existing ubitx. The connectors haven't changed since v3.
A board with stm32 or teensy won't need a nextion display. It can easily drive a dumb display. The jackal board does this, the tsw project is another admirable effort.
These boards wont need any special coils or RF transformers.
- f
Hi Ashhar,
I think you have expressed yourself perfectly but, as always, everyone would like a version of hardware tailored to their specific use ... I think it is human and understandable.
Excellent idea of ​​a "super-raduino" to include many of the variants born for the various µBITX-Vx, great idea of ​​reducing costs with a more modern micro to lighten the various special uses and allow many HAMs to add variants software for their interests, in addition to the stm32 or the teensy you could also consider the new Arduino products (eg NANO-Every or similar), this would allow you to take advantage of thousands of libraries already written and tested for different LCD, TFT, specialized chips, etc.
From the hardware point of view of the main board, however, some small additions could be made, there are many suggestions that can be found in this forum, among others I would like you to study an integrated (or external mudular) version of AGC for excellent amplifiers of medium frequency used in the µBITX series, but here I too fall into personal desire.
In any case, I am delighted with your work and the work of the team of workers who assemble the KITs, and I am sure that any choice you will make for a future V7 series will be as good as the previous ones!
Best wishes for the job ...
greetings from IW4AJR Loris


Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

IW4AJR Loris <lorisbollina@...>
 

Hi Bill
The BITX and the whole µBITX series was born as an SSB rig, the possibility of use for the CW is only for occasional use as well as for other ways of communication (even the ILER series does the same), both start from the concept of limiting initial costs of the rig, for different uses it is expected that it can be hacked and modified for its own purposes ...
If you have chosen a KIT you have to expect that hardware and software variants are needed to use it the way you want it, if you want a smooth rig of any kind, you can spend a thousand dollars and solve the problems.
If, on the other hand, you want a KIT for CW or other digital modes of transmission, you have to orient yourself on other products, there are several specialized ones for digital transmissions, but obviously these do not transmit in SSB ...
Like it or not, you have to choose between one and the other or adapt to modify them or spend more thousands dollars !, The choice is yours.
 
Cordial greetings, de IW4AJR Loris


Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

I worked on a V6 for another amateur. When it arrived I found the CW completely unusable. The other ham wanted Reed's software installed and when I did that the CW latency went away. Reed's software addressed some other things, too. I think the display operates a little more smoothly too.

Farhan has stated that he is a phone operator and CW in the uBitX is 'an afterthought'. Ther is also no CW bandwidth filter. Over the years there have been other radios that had CW added as an afterthought and CW hams had to choose between making modifications or buying a different radio. The software modification is pretty easy:)

I have a V3 and I like it even with it's warts. I doubt there is a *perfect* radio.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 7:57 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:07 AM, Donnie G wrote:
Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?
You can try the firmware that Reed N has written for the stock v6 uBITX.  Search the Groups.io site for messages from him.  Here is a starting point with the links to the GitHub repository:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/78757
73
Evan
AC9TU


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Bill Cromwell
 

Thanks Evan,

I'm getting the flat forehead thing now:) When I first read it I read it as AGC but then I had my chain jerked - "no wait. It says CAG". I was only halfway through my first coffee. It is possibly a non native language thing but that occurred to me and I saw a U.S. callsign signature there. We do have many U.S. amateur friends imported from other countries. Maybe he was on his first coffee of the morning too.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 8:04 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
Bill,
I believe that it is AGC in the wrong order.  Could be because of differences in the native language of one of the authors.
Please forgive me if anything above is in error.
73
Evan
AC9TU


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.29r

Ashhar Farhan
 

I didnt make myself clear enough. My bad. My suggestion was produce the v7, as a super-raduino board that just plugs into the existing ubitx. The connectors haven't changed since v3.
A board with stm32 or teensy won't need a nextion display. It can easily drive a dumb display. The jackal board does this, the tsw project is another admirable effort.
These boards wont need any special coils or RF transformers.
- f


On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 12:21 PM Bob Lunsford via groups.io, <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My concern is that moving the assembly of the V6, etc., to obtain parts here in the USA would also require that the toroids be wound here in America.

I appreciate much that the Indian women at HF Signals are winding the toiroids and are doing the assembly. I have wound single layer and trifilar toroids and while it is something I can do, it is tedious as I have had extensive eye surgery (three on left eye and five on right eye) due to double retinal detachment and cataracts.

The women there are expert and professional and I am more than willing to pay for them to do it: It's one of many reasons to buy the HF Signal transceivers rather than build it here and then (possibly) go through a trouble-shooting phase.

The alignment is another issue since it's ready to work out of the box and while others may see alignment as a simple task and while I could perfect the process with some time and experimentation, I'd rather just use the radio right off than go through a possible delaying process. Incidentally, I have built most of what Heathkit had in the transceiver and accessories line and such activity would be more a challenge at this point in my life than gaining a sense of accomplishment.

Therefore, even if HF Signals offers a "streamlined kit" with specific parts like PC board and unique parts, I sincerely hope that kits such as the Basic Kit and Complete Kit continue to be available.

I just sent my V6 to my mountain-topping son in California (N5DIM) and almost immediately ordered another Complete Kit for my personal use. Ease of use is a factor but the receiver in the V6 is hard to beat for being so sensitive and quiet. Congratulations in sharing such a unique radio with such simplicity of operation. For what it is, the V6 is unbeatable...!

Kudos must also go to the women at HF Signals who are, in my opinion, top-of-the line builders/assemblers. It's almost as if the toroids were machine-made. They must have achieved their own level of quality control due to the boards are top level quality both in layout and build.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 1:28:21 AM EDT, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:


HF Signals is reluctantly in this business.  It doesnt make sense to move parts from Mouser, Ohio to Hyderabad, have them assembled and then shipped back to Tennessee. Why wait for them to make this move? The suggestions can all be incorporated into a single plug in-board (the audio connector and Raduino are in the same line to allow a single board to plugin). 
Between Hobby PCB and mouser all the parts can be easily procured. The hf signals boards cost twice what you will pay in components and pcb. It is just all the transport, soldering, testing and administration costs.

Unlike qcx or xeigu, bitx radios are open with hardware and software. My idea was to encourage a number of kitchen table businesses to turn out easy to understand and build radios. I hope others take up the slack.
- f



On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 9:06 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io, <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:26 AM, Gerard wrote:
As an owner of a V6 I would love to know what the detailed specifics are regarding the following:
Add CAG
Add core, capacitors, for noise of the connection of the Nextion
Modifications on some transistors of the emission chain
Changes to winding on the emission chain
thanks, sincerely
jerry aa1of
 


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Evan Hand
 

Bill,
I believe that it is AGC in the wrong order.  Could be because of differences in the native language of one of the authors.

Please forgive me if anything above is in error. 
73
Evan
AC9TU


Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Evan Hand
 

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:07 AM, Donnie G wrote:
Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?
You can try the firmware that Reed N has written for the stock v6 uBITX.  Search the Groups.io site for messages from him.  Here is a starting point with the links to the GitHub repository:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/78757

73
Evan
AC9TU


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

With my white beard and many decades of experience, CAG is a military officer. Obviously that is not the intent here. So please enlighten me what somebody's idea of hijacking an already useful term means in this context.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/16/20 11:36 PM, ohwenzelph via groups.io wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:26 AM, Gerard wrote:
As an owner of a V6 I would love to know what the detailed specifics
are regarding the following:
Add CAG
Add core, capacitors, for noise of the connection of the Nextion
Modifications on some transistors of the emission chain
Changes to winding on the emission chain
thanks, sincerely
jerry aa1of


Re: Any fix for V6 first character delay?

ohwenzelph
 

I was disappointed that as I came the V6 seemed, to me, unusable for CW.
jer
aa1of


Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Donnie G <cfzepp@...>
 

Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?

Donnie / WA9TGT 


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Bob Lunsford
 

My concern is that moving the assembly of the V6, etc., to obtain parts here in the USA would also require that the toroids be wound here in America.

I appreciate much that the Indian women at HF Signals are winding the toiroids and are doing the assembly. I have wound single layer and trifilar toroids and while it is something I can do, it is tedious as I have had extensive eye surgery (three on left eye and five on right eye) due to double retinal detachment and cataracts.

The women there are expert and professional and I am more than willing to pay for them to do it: It's one of many reasons to buy the HF Signal transceivers rather than build it here and then (possibly) go through a trouble-shooting phase.

The alignment is another issue since it's ready to work out of the box and while others may see alignment as a simple task and while I could perfect the process with some time and experimentation, I'd rather just use the radio right off than go through a possible delaying process. Incidentally, I have built most of what Heathkit had in the transceiver and accessories line and such activity would be more a challenge at this point in my life than gaining a sense of accomplishment.

Therefore, even if HF Signals offers a "streamlined kit" with specific parts like PC board and unique parts, I sincerely hope that kits such as the Basic Kit and Complete Kit continue to be available.

I just sent my V6 to my mountain-topping son in California (N5DIM) and almost immediately ordered another Complete Kit for my personal use. Ease of use is a factor but the receiver in the V6 is hard to beat for being so sensitive and quiet. Congratulations in sharing such a unique radio with such simplicity of operation. For what it is, the V6 is unbeatable...!

Kudos must also go to the women at HF Signals who are, in my opinion, top-of-the line builders/assemblers. It's almost as if the toroids were machine-made. They must have achieved their own level of quality control due to the boards are top level quality both in layout and build.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 1:28:21 AM EDT, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:


HF Signals is reluctantly in this business.  It doesnt make sense to move parts from Mouser, Ohio to Hyderabad, have them assembled and then shipped back to Tennessee. Why wait for them to make this move? The suggestions can all be incorporated into a single plug in-board (the audio connector and Raduino are in the same line to allow a single board to plugin). 
Between Hobby PCB and mouser all the parts can be easily procured. The hf signals boards cost twice what you will pay in components and pcb. It is just all the transport, soldering, testing and administration costs.

Unlike qcx or xeigu, bitx radios are open with hardware and software. My idea was to encourage a number of kitchen table businesses to turn out easy to understand and build radios. I hope others take up the slack.
- f



On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 9:06 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io, <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:26 AM, Gerard wrote:
As an owner of a V6 I would love to know what the detailed specifics are regarding the following:
Add CAG
Add core, capacitors, for noise of the connection of the Nextion
Modifications on some transistors of the emission chain
Changes to winding on the emission chain
thanks, sincerely
jerry aa1of
 


Re: Suggestion for the NEW UBITX V7.

Ashhar Farhan
 

HF Signals is reluctantly in this business.  It doesnt make sense to move parts from Mouser, Ohio to Hyderabad, have them assembled and then shipped back to Tennessee. Why wait for them to make this move? The suggestions can all be incorporated into a single plug in-board (the audio connector and Raduino are in the same line to allow a single board to plugin). 
Between Hobby PCB and mouser all the parts can be easily procured. The hf signals boards cost twice what you will pay in components and pcb. It is just all the transport, soldering, testing and administration costs.
Unlike qcx or xeigu, bitx radios are open with hardware and software. My idea was to encourage a number of kitchen table businesses to turn out easy to understand and build radios. I hope others take up the slack.
- f



On Sat 17 Oct, 2020, 9:06 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io, <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:26 AM, Gerard wrote:
As an owner of a V6 I would love to know what the detailed specifics are regarding the following:
Add CAG
Add core, capacitors, for noise of the connection of the Nextion
Modifications on some transistors of the emission chain
Changes to winding on the emission chain
thanks, sincerely
jerry aa1of
 


Re: Enclosures

Sunil Lakhani
 

If there are enough takers for version 6 type case we can make custom case for various sizes using displays . 
The enclosure we have on our website also are compatible with wiring required which is provided with accessories.
We shall post details on using our enclosure for version 6 soon using existing case.
Best wishes
De vu3sua.

2681 - 2700 of 84537