Date   
Re: uBitx on JS8Call / FT8

Doug W
 

I look forward to digging into your manual and circuit.  I've been using an easy digi board.  If you use KD8CEC's firmware the µBITX can be CAT controlled as a FT-817 skipping the need for the PTT with the JT modes.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Re: uBitx on JS8Call / FT8

Gordon Gibby
 

​​Yes -- i've done the FT-817 bit for frequency control but always just did the signalink-type PTT.   I have not yet done any of the KD8CEC firmware.    


the easy digi should work FINE -- but it lacks the volume controls and I prefer a relay to the transistor for PTT.   My preferences, maybe not yours.   I bought one early on, but didn't think it would serve the needs of our group as well.   


PUT A CAPACIToR BETWEEN THE UBITX PTT LINE AND GrOuND -- like 0.01 uf.  


There are LOTS of ways to do digital, nothing says that my way is any better than others -- it is just what we've done for a few dozen systems locally.    


I havve been using the $4.75 Adafruit 1475 --- but there are probably much better choices out there for sound card...I just haven't studied it.    For the raspberry pi's that we have used these on, they need a "classless" sound dongle.


More power to you!

Gordon



From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Doug W <dougwilner@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 11:52 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBitx on JS8Call / FT8
 
I look forward to digging into your manual and circuit.  I've been using an easy digi board.  If you use KD8CEC's firmware the µBITX can be CAT controlled as a FT-817 skipping the need for the PTT with the JT modes.

Re: VK4PP Ultimate uBitx Daughter Board. #ubitx #filters #parts

DJ4MU
 

Please add me to your list for 3of those boards.

Thnx 73 de DJ4MU-Philipp

Re: VK4PP Ultimate uBitx Daughter Board. #ubitx #filters #parts

Lawrence Galea
 

One for me please
Regards
Lawrence

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:03 AM DJ4MU via Groups.Io <pbepler=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Please add me to your list for 3of those boards.

Thnx 73 de DJ4MU-Philipp

Re: VK4PP Ultimate uBitx Daughter Board. #ubitx #filters #parts

Balasubramanyan Cp
 

Pl add me for ONE Board. De VU2UYC, Balasubramanian. Email to me by quoting price / money transfer details . bsnvu2yc73s@...


On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:
One for me please
Regards
Lawrence

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:03 AM DJ4MU via Groups.Io <pbepler=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Please add me to your list for 3of those boards.

Thnx 73 de DJ4MU-Philipp

Re: TSW's BITeensio Advanced uBITX Controller Card hold down brackets #ubitx

JT Croteau
 

Nice work Jim.


On Wed, Jun 19, 2019, 15:19 Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:
After receiving a uBITX a friend shipped me to add some wiring for him and check out why the touch screen function wouldn't work with the BITeensio flopping around inside the case due to rough handling of the package by USPS, I decided then and there we needed some way to secure the BITeensio to the uBITX main board when it's plugged in.

I recently got a 3D printer for my birthday and have been learning to use one of the better 3D CAD programs (Fusion 360 by the Autodesk people). 

I put them to work today and came up with a nice set of hold down clamps for the BITeensio that mount using the front corner mounting holes on the main board and hook over the cable clearance notches on either side of the BITeensio.  I've updated the TSW website (www.w0eb.com) with all the details including pictures.

I will sell printed brackets, but only in the US (international shipping would be prohibitive due to necessary packaging) and that's only for the convenience of those who don't have a 3D printer or access to one through a friend. 

I've made the printable .stl file available on the website and attached it here for those who already have one of our BITeensio cards installed in their uBITX radio(s).  I'm also planning on posting the make on "Thingiverse" to make it accessible to everyone with a uBITX that wants a set. 

They only take about 40 minutes to print and if you use the print resolution and parameters included in the zip file they will be quite strong and easy to install.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB
TSW Project Coordinator

Re: VK4PP Ultimate uBitx Daughter Board. #ubitx #filters #parts

JT Croteau
 

Two for me please...

N1ESE 

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019, 05:06 Balasubramanyan Cp <bsnvu2yc73s@...> wrote:
Pl add me for ONE Board. De VU2UYC, Balasubramanian. Email to me by quoting price / money transfer details . bsnvu2yc73s@...

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:
One for me please
Regards
Lawrence

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 7:03 AM DJ4MU via Groups.Io <pbepler=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Please add me to your list for 3of those boards.

Thnx 73 de DJ4MU-Philipp

#v5 #v5

Eric Carter
 

@Ashar

It would be nice to be able to see and print out an image of the µBitx V.5 component side silkscreen that shows the component locations. 

There are enough differences between the version to the point of where it is a bit tricky to find specific SMD components.

Re: #v5 #v5

Ashhar Farhan
 

Ill do it. Some stuff is taking up all my time for a couple of days more. I plan a fuller update of the website.
- f

On Thu 20 Jun, 2019, 6:19 PM Eric Carter, <e.o.carter1@...> wrote:
@Ashar

It would be nice to be able to see and print out an image of the µBitx V.5 component side silkscreen that shows the component locations. 

There are enough differences between the version to the point of where it is a bit tricky to find specific SMD components.

Re: uBitx on JS8Call / FT8

Ryan Flowers
 

JS8Call has a new feature that is great for BITX owners: In the configuration, you can have it persist the PTT between 15 second frames. It'll save a lot of wear on your relays. It's not on by default, so you do have to configure it. It's under Rig > PTT. 

http://js8call.com/2019/06/18/js8call-v1-1-0-released-today/

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek.com
Multi Band BITX40
The BITX40 FAQ

Re: uBitx on JS8Call / FT8

Gordon Gibby
 

Thanks!


On Jun 20, 2019, at 12:28, Ryan Flowers <geocrasher@...> wrote:

JS8Call has a new feature that is great for BITX owners: In the configuration, you can have it persist the PTT between 15 second frames. It'll save a lot of wear on your relays. It's not on by default, so you do have to configure it. It's under Rig > PTT. 

http://js8call.com/2019/06/18/js8call-v1-1-0-released-today/

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek.com
Multi Band BITX40
The BITX40 FAQ

CW mode with uBitx 5.1 - usable?

neil@...
 

Is anyone running a uBitx (with OEM version 5.1 firmware) on CW? I tried, but the initial element (dot or dash) is so badly truncated by the TR and mode-switching delays that it comes out as a shortened dot (or less). This was in hand-key mode, using an external keyer for actual code generation. The effect is lessened at very slow speeds because the overall length of all of the elements is greater, but seems to preclude operation at even moderate speeds.

It's pretty disappointing to have a QRP rig that doesn't do CW. Is there a work-around? Is CW operation possible with other firmware (KD8CEC)?

Thanks,
Neil KX2Y

Re: CW mode with uBitx 5.1 - usable?

Gordon Gibby
 

I don’t know the answer, but it would seem fairly simple to create a little timer inside the code that (once the key has been closed ) would keep it in transmit mode for a variable length of time, but transmitting only when the key closes again , somewhat like semi break-in.   Likely someone has already done that.  




On Jun 20, 2019, at 13:46, "neil@..." <neil@...> wrote:

Is anyone running a uBitx (with OEM version 5.1 firmware) on CW? I tried, but the initial element (dot or dash) is so badly truncated by the TR and mode-switching delays that it comes out as a shortened dot (or less). This was in hand-key mode, using an external keyer for actual code generation. The effect is lessened at very slow speeds because the overall length of all of the elements is greater, but seems to preclude operation at even moderate speeds.

It's pretty disappointing to have a QRP rig that doesn't do CW. Is there a work-around? Is CW operation possible with other firmware (KD8CEC)?

Thanks,
Neil KX2Y

Auto atu

Lawrence Galea
 

Hi
many moons ago someone was designing an auto atu for the μBitx.
Does anyone know what happened?
Regards
Lawrence

Re: CW mode with uBitx 5.1 - usable?

Sam Tedesco
 

Hi Neil,

CEC firmware runs cw like a champ... you do have to set the tx to rx delay to hold long enough for the keyer. Also, there is a well known problem of generating additional characters... it requires lifting r52, on side towards 2822 chip (ver 3 board), add diode in series...cathode down to board. I run my delay 450-500. It runs flawlessly with keyboard/keyer, straight key, and paddles.

Re: Auto atu

Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK
 

If I'm not mistaken, that was K9HZ who I don't think is on this list anymore - at least I have not seen any posts from him in quite some time. He is posting on other lists. 
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

Re: Auto atu

MadRadioModder
 

Yes I think the moderator booted him off the group because someone complained about his closing.  I saw him at Dayton selling the ATU…

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:19 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Auto atu

 

If I'm not mistaken, that was K9HZ who I don't think is on this list anymore - at least I have not seen any posts from him in quite some time. He is posting on other lists. 
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK


Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

…_. _._

Re: CW mode with uBitx 5.1 - usable?

Curt
 

Neil

The relay action and the response of the microcontroller isn't exactly QSK.  First time I used, I thought there was little hope.  But then I adapted !  I do okay at 18 wpm or so using the ubitx - yes I avoid long pauses between words to not open the TR relay!  There is a delay parameter in the stock firmware - but I found I like the default setting the best.  I don't perceive that a change of firmware will entirely 'solve' it -but do try KD8CEC firmware when you are ready (I will one of these days).  You can tell us if you sense a difference then. 

Remember this rig was designed to provide all mode capability.  Even my rig from one of the big 3 does not come anywhere near my K2 in QSK. 

At times I wonder if one can replace the TR circuitry with electronic switching - maybe someone has done that?  I suggest choose your 'battles' carefully.  Don't lament what this unique rig cannot do.  With a little modified processing in one's brain - it does decent CW - I have made hundreds of QSOs with mine.  when you tire of it - the ubitx is a good WSPR receiver - not to mention its a riot to cross oceans with 5w SSB. 

Curt

Re: CW mode with uBitx 5.1 - usable?

Dave Dixon
 

Hello Neil,
                Im running 2 x Version 3 ubitx with Kd 8 cec both on cw with no problems,ive had also a version 4 and 5 both of which i didnt like (my own personal preference) and  sold both of them and returned to my Version 3s which are my main station i only own one commercial radio,its an old 2 mtr fm only transceiver sat on our local green repeator driven by a wind turbine and 4 solar panels it sits on top of a hill in a farmers barn at 750 feet asl and on top of a 60 foot tower. and runs 25 watts.the coverage is outstanding easily attaining 70 miles plus on flat conditions... You can view my other homebrew radio on my qrz page good luck and hope you are able to resolve your issues and sorry i cant be more help kind regards Dave G0AYD.


On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 18:46, <neil@...> wrote:
Is anyone running a uBitx (with OEM version 5.1 firmware) on CW? I tried, but the initial element (dot or dash) is so badly truncated by the TR and mode-switching delays that it comes out as a shortened dot (or less). This was in hand-key mode, using an external keyer for actual code generation. The effect is lessened at very slow speeds because the overall length of all of the elements is greater, but seems to preclude operation at even moderate speeds.

It's pretty disappointing to have a QRP rig that doesn't do CW. Is there a work-around? Is CW operation possible with other firmware (KD8CEC)?

Thanks,
Neil KX2Y

Re: Auto atu

Arv Evans
 

He is still in the group and appears here from time to time. 

Arv  K7HKL
_._


On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM MadRadioModder <madradiomodder@...> wrote:

Yes I think the moderator booted him off the group because someone complained about his closing.  I saw him at Dayton selling the ATU…

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Karl Heinz Kremer, K5KHK
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 2:19 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Auto atu

 

If I'm not mistaken, that was K9HZ who I don't think is on this list anymore - at least I have not seen any posts from him in quite some time. He is posting on other lists. 
--
Karl Heinz - K5KHK


Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

…_. _._