Date   
Re: Availability of Mag Loop and other stuff...

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

A SWR of 1:1 is easy with a dummy load but as a radiator its efficiency is very poor.
Some antennas can be matched to a good SWR and still be poor radiators.

SWR is not a measure of antenna effectiveness or efficiency its a statement of
how well the load is matched to the source.

So where does the energy go, mostly heat.  the comment I hear often, I I can
measure no warming, completely missing that all that copper or aluminum
will radiate heat well. 

Allison

Re: What's a Reason for less Power Output ONLY get 4W on 80m?.., 3-4W on 40/20m, 1W on 15/12/10m #ubitx #ubitx-help

Arv Evans
 

A detector probe or oscilloscope should show where power differs from one band to another. 
Voltage measurements should show relative differences.
That could provide some clue as to where to start troubleshooting.

_._


On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:40 AM sdr freak <sdrfreak55@...> wrote:
Then ok but in 2 different SWR POWER Meter the low power of only 5w and in the Dummy Load,  too? This means the Dummy Load is bad, too? Have you any other ideas to my postet infos please? Any idea i should do?

Re: What's a Reason for less Power Output ONLY get 4W on 80m?.., 3-4W on 40/20m, 1W on 15/12/10m #ubitx #ubitx-help

iz oos
 

The fact that pwr out is around 50% is suspicious. Maybe one of the two sides of the pushpull PA has an issue.


Il 03/giu/2019 18:40, "sdr freak" <sdrfreak55@...> ha scritto:
Then ok but in 2 different SWR POWER Meter the low power of only 5w and in the Dummy Load,  too? This means the Dummy Load is bad, too? Have you any other ideas to my postet infos please? Any idea i should do?

Re: What's a Reason for less Power Output ONLY get 4W on 80m?.., 3-4W on 40/20m, 1W on 15/12/10m #ubitx #ubitx-help

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

I would ask questions like:

What is the DC applied voltage during TX?   It sounds low for CW even.
For CW I'd expect near 10-12W however if you Power supply is below
12V what you are getting is then good.

What is the mic level or if your using a tone osc what audio (AC) votlage?

is the bias correctly set?

IS the calibration done correctly? is the sideband carrier or the second
conversion is off the band pass filters (crystal filters) will eat your RF.

NOTE CW is done differently than SSB so if SSB is more than half the CW
something is wrong. 

Look at the obvious before progressing.

Allison

Re: Availability of Mag Loop and other stuff...

Kees T
 

Bo,

Speaking of using Noise Bridges, there is an excellent one by N6DT
http://www.nd6t.com/antenna/Polite%20Tuner.htm

Re: Availability of Mag Loop and other stuff...

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Bo,

I have the Palomar noise bridge unit and its a very useful tool.
Worth way more than the price I paid for it (1$ at a flea).

Allison

Re: Kit-Projects ND6T Ubitx AGC

digger AB3XU
 

Finally had time to get back to this for the second time. I accidentally deleted the first post I made of this a week ago.
Here is another set of test results with the AGC board vol-hi connected to to TP21 on the uBITX via a resistor.
(remember this is a V4 board)

I made three sets of measurements
1. AGC off
2. AGC-slow and a resistor value of 11.5 ohms
3. AGC-slow and a resistor value of 5.75 ohms

11.5 ohms is the closest I had to the 10 ohms Tim suggested.
Hoping to get a little higher levels for the S-Meter a 5.75 ohms (2x11.5 in parallel) was tested to see if it would increase the bias voltage and in turn the ADC reading.

Interestingly the measurements was almost exactly the same with both resistors. There looked like a very slight instability on the oscope with 5.75 ohms. after the fact that may have been due to a poor connection. In any case I'm going to stick with the 11.5 ohm resistor

From the measurements its pretty clear the AGC is doing its job and is pretty effective for about 50db. It looks like it kicks in by S9+10
and continues to work to at least S9+50. By S9+60 it has given up. Maybe someone else can use the measurements to come up with some useful numbers.

Bottom line is -- connecting the AGC board to TP21 through a resistor of about 10 ohms works for me and I'm a happy clam, I mean ham. I would though love to see some one else replicate these tests.

73 digger AB3XU

Re: HFSignals poor business practices

ke6bgn@...
 

The package was in pristine shape, so I don't think it was done during shipping. I only found it by looking through magnifiers.
I wanted to go this route because of my failing eyesight, I can't do that type of fine work, like winding small toroids, any longer.
But the big point was the absolute, total lack of support. Like I said, I am underwhelmed.

73 de RC.....KE6BGN 

FS: JackAl kit

TomW4OKW
 

Advancing arthritis, etc., has put my plans for this project on hold.  New in the box, so to speak, parts as received from suppliers.

JackAl Board
Teensy 3.6
Audio board for Teensy
5" TFT Display

About $135 worth of stuff, mailed to you for $100.

Tom W4OKW
301-904-2053

Re: FS: JackAl kit

Bob Villa
 

Can you provide email for contact?

Miguel WP4ZI


On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 19:11, TomW4OKW
<w4okw@...> wrote:
Advancing arthritis, etc., has put my plans for this project on hold.  New in the box, so to speak, parts as received from suppliers.


Teensy 3.6
Audio board for Teensy
5" TFT Display

About $135 worth of stuff, mailed to you for $100.

Tom W4OKW
301-904-2053

Microphone audio leaking into speaker

Jay - WS4JM
 

I installed an SSM2167 pre-amp processor on my V3 uBitx. I am getting microphone audio into the speaker. It only appears from about 1/2 to 7/8 of the volume pot range. Verified with my scope. It does not go out over the air, verified by QSOs. Reducing the mic gain reduces the leakage, but does not eliminate it (also as seen on the scope). More of an annoyance than anything, but it would be nice to get rid of it, because it is in the "sweet spot" for listening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
WS4JM
Jay

Re: Availability of Mag Loop and other stuff...

Tom, wb6b
 

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM, Kees T wrote:
Speaking of using Noise Bridges, there is an excellent one by N6DT
I recently received this noise source and "reflection" bridge to do antenna testing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-RF-SWR-Reflection-Bridge-0-1-3000-MHZ-Antenna-Analyzer-VHF-UHF-VSWR/292083525131

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-new-version-noise-source-Simple-spectrum-external-tracking-source/111392810099

Tom, wb6b

Re: Microphone audio leaking into speaker

Joe Puma
 

I have a V3 and use the same mic amp and I have the same problem.  I too would like to get rid of the problem. When I crank the mic pot up it feedbacks with audio bleeding through. Its pretty depressing lol. 

Joe
Kd2nfc 





On Jun 3, 2019, at 8:37 PM, Jay - WS4JM <ws4jm@...> wrote:

I installed an SSM2167 pre-amp processor on my V3 uBitx. I am getting microphone audio into the speaker. It only appears from about 1/2 to 7/8 of the volume pot range. Verified with my scope. It does not go out over the air, verified by QSOs. Reducing the mic gain reduces the leakage, but does not eliminate it (also as seen on the scope). More of an annoyance than anything, but it would be nice to get rid of it, because it is in the "sweet spot" for listening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
WS4JM
Jay

Re: HFSignals poor business practices

ke6bgn@...
 

Arv,
I took a look at the HFSignals web site and specifically the BITX40 pages too, that's why I took the route that I did.
I sent my email to hfsignals email because it was not a technical issue I wanted resolved, but a matter dealing with the condition of the product that I purchased. I wanted to know how they would resolve the issue, since I received a defective unit. I didn't need any of the collective wisdom to sort out a technical problem.
As I stated before, due to my eyesight, winding and soldering such a small item would be fools folly for me.
I'm just going to let the damned thing sit in the dark until it fixes itself.

73 de RC.....KE6BGN

Re: HFSignals poor business practices

Arv Evans
 

On-line information can read by using features of the computer to magnify text and image size.  If available, a large screen TV usually can be connected to your computer to show things in larger format.  

Todays kids are more smart than we sometimes realize.  Convincing a grandchild to help with small parts  can be a productive way to get your transceiver working and at the same time introduce them to ham radio.  

I will leave it up to Farhan to comment on replacement parts, shipping costs, etc. 

Arv
_-_
 

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019, 7:19 PM <ke6bgn@...> wrote:
Arv,
I took a look at the HFSignals web site and specifically the BITX40 pages too, that's why I took the route that I did.
I sent my email to hfsignals email because it was not a technical issue I wanted resolved, but a matter dealing with the condition of the product that I purchased. I wanted to know how they would resolve the issue, since I received a defective unit. I didn't need any of the collective wisdom to sort out a technical problem.
As I stated before, due to my eyesight, winding and soldering such a small item would be fools folly for me.
I'm just going to let the damned thing sit in the dark until it fixes itself.

73 de RC.....KE6BGN

Re: BITX 40 not tuning

lbjunk@...
 

Please disregard my previous call for help. The potentiometers that came with the kit were faulty, once I replace them the radio worked great. 

Thanks. 


On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 4:28 PM, lbjunk via Groups.Io <lbjunk@...> wrote:
I wired up the BITX 40 and triple checked my wiring, it is correct as far as I can tell.  When I power it on the frequency is stuck on 7.106...  I am unable to change the frequency.  Any help or ideas would be appreicated.


Re: HFSignals poor business practices

Michael Walker
 

I have to speak up on this one

These public floggings of someone trying to run a business (mom and pop shop) is a bad normal and I want to speak up on behalf of HFSignals.

What not discuss it with the business one on one rather than complaining to the masses.

Give them a chance to do the right thing.  If you don't like it, ask the vendor what your options are.

Businesses like this are just trying to make a living or even support their love for the hobby.  With venting on a large forum like this, how do you think it affects them?  Imagine if you were in your shoes with the same budget to deal with.

Mike va3mw


Re: HFSignals poor business practices

RICHARD
 

If it is a bitx 40 send it to me and I will fix and test for free you pay return postage.  I have built several of these and have mod some for 80 and 160 meters.  I’m 80 years old.

K6KWQ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of ke6bgn@... <ke6bgn@...>
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2019 3:02:30 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] HFSignals poor business practices
 
The package was in pristine shape, so I don't think it was done during shipping. I only found it by looking through magnifiers.
I wanted to go this route because of my failing eyesight, I can't do that type of fine work, like winding small toroids, any longer.
But the big point was the absolute, total lack of support. Like I said, I am underwhelmed.

73 de RC.....KE6BGN 

Re: HFSignals poor business practices

MVS Sarma
 

Richard,
Wish you a happy and healthy Century. It is proudto see you assuring fiing thngs at your age.  Of course i am at 74. Still sble to manage.
Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, 8:01 am RICHARD <k6kwq@... wrote:

If it is a bitx 40 send it to me and I will fix and test for free you pay return postage.  I have built several of these and have mod some for 80 and 160 meters.  I’m 80 years old.

K6KWQ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of ke6bgn@... <ke6bgn@...>
Sent: Monday, June 3, 2019 3:02:30 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] HFSignals poor business practices
 
The package was in pristine shape, so I don't think it was done during shipping. I only found it by looking through magnifiers.
I wanted to go this route because of my failing eyesight, I can't do that type of fine work, like winding small toroids, any longer.
But the big point was the absolute, total lack of support. Like I said, I am underwhelmed.

73 de RC.....KE6BGN 

Re: Microphone audio leaking into speaker

 

Hook up the SSM2167 board to TX 12V line. This way it will be off while receiving.

Raj

At 04-06-19, you wrote:
I installed an SSM2167 pre-amp processor on my V3 uBitx. I am getting microphone audio into the speaker. It only appears from about 1/2 to 7/8 of the volume pot range. Verified with my scope. It does not go out over the air, verified by QSOs. Reducing the mic gain reduces the leakage, but does not eliminate it (also as seen on the scope). More of an annoyance than anything, but it would be nice to get rid of it, because it is in the "sweet spot" for listening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
WS4JM
Jay