Date   
Re: In search of a Raduino #bitx40 #raduino

AA9GG
 

I blew up mine too, but I was able to replace the Mega328p and re-install the bootloader and BitX40 code

de AA9GG

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:28 AM Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
For reworking the job, better tools exist for regular use but this is very handy and cheap, saves cuss words for another opportunity -


Re: uBITX V3 audio pop fix

 

Hi,

Uploaded to my photo album just now.  Sort albums by date to find it quickly (works for now as it is the most recently updated one).

73,


Mark.

Wire-up (Almost) Done #bitx40

Pat Anderson
 

Wire-up of my bitx-40 is done and installed in a Radio Shack project box, except for the headphone and mic jacks, which I am waiting for eBay to deliver. 

It was a somewhat painful process because of my poor eyesight and trembling hands. It is pretty hard to solder something you can't see well when you can't hold things steady. I realized after the fact that I should have purchased a headband magnifier with a light.  

Not tested yet, I will when I get the jacks installed. I changed out both pots for ones with larger shafts and knobs, changed out the push to talk switch, and used Scotchlok connectors in lieu of solder everywhere I could. I also wired the ground wires from the PA and Raduino to the ground lug on the BNC instead of back to the power socket. I assume that all grounds are connected through the traces, but if that is not correct, I could move them to the power socket - this was a concession to trembling hands, because the BNC lug was more accessible.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but here is what it looks like: front, back and inside. No labels yet.

Re: Balanced Mixer Audio Input Impedance

frederick.brown@...
 

Hey Jerry,
I do like that answer. There's also a cap that involved, C222-1? It's hard to read that number. Anyway I get what you're saying. At low signal levels <0.5 V the impedance is quite high and greater than that is goes down to around 20 or so ohms.

Do you have any idea what a reasonable limit to how high of a voltage can drive the mixer?
Fred Brown

Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Gigabyte
 

I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.  


Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.  

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that. 
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.


Original poster: 

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please? 


Ted
K3RTA

Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Laurence Oberman
 

Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <@gigabyte> wrote:

I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure. The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it. I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered. My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi. The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes. The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.

This is a link to the box I have. https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html

Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic. I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino. I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.


Original poster:

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion type display & controls? Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard. Might you elaborate on your project, please?


Ted
K3RTA

Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Gigabyte
 

How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.  


On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
>
> I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>
>  This is a link to the box I have.  https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html
>
> Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>>
>>
>> Original poster:
>>
>> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>>
>>
>> Ted
>> K3RTA
>
>



Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Gigabyte
 





On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:22 Steven Hoff <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.  

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
>
> I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>
>  This is a link to the box I have.  https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html
>
> Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> Nigel,
>>
>> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>>
>>
>> Original poster:
>>
>> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.   Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>>
>>
>> Ted
>> K3RTA
>
>



Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

Laurence Oberman
 

Hello

In an earlier post Jack had shared his BCI filter design in reply to a
post where I was mentioning that my Ubitx V5 is sensitive to BCI.

For those who want a simple and effective way to do this I have one of
these from Amazon that works perfectly.
Its in-line and can handle the power easily and can be fitted in the
case using an SMA cable cut in half to make the connections.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076CVW6LC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Laurence Oberman
 

Mine is 3ft shielded and works fine so far. Its not always connected
but will be using it this weekend again to figure out my MIC voltage
issue.
You can re purpose an old parallel computer cable with the shielding

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:22 PM Gigabyte <@gigabyte> wrote:

How Long is too long. Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:

Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <@gigabyte> wrote:

I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure. The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it. I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered. My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi. The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes. The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.

This is a link to the box I have. https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html

Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic. I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino. I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.


Original poster:

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion type display & controls? Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard. Might you elaborate on your project, please?


Ted
K3RTA

Re: uBITX V3 audio pop fix

george.woods@...
 

Mark,

There is no need to upload any new files. I had a brain blip and forgot that you could click to enlarge graphics. The schematic and photo are both clearly visible.

72, George, K1DX

Re: Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

Jack Purdum
 

It sure looks nice. Still, mine cost me $0.87 to build, has a 0.04 dB insertion loss at 7MHz, with this shape characteristics:

Inline image
1.6MHz is down about -50dB.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 2:26:14 PM EDT, Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:


Hello

In an earlier post Jack had shared his BCI filter design in reply to a
post where I was mentioning that my Ubitx V5 is sensitive to BCI.

For those who want a simple and effective way to do this I have one of
these from Amazon that works perfectly.
Its in-line and can handle the power easily and can be fitted in the
case using an SMA cable cut in half to make the connections.




Re: Raduino Remote Mount

MadRadioModder
 

A better approach to this would be to leave the raduino plugged into the uBITx... remove the arduino from the raduino board... and remote mount that part. That keeps the RF inside the uBITx box where it really belongs.

This all would have been much easier if the si5351 would have been mounted on the uBITx mother board as good RF design would dictate (keep RF lines short as possible). Then only the I2C and control lines would run to the remote head.

And that would be my 2C

-----Original Message-----
From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Laurence Oberman
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:12 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Raduino Remote Mount

Hello

The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.

My 2c

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <@gigabyte> wrote:

I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure. The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it. I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered. My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi. The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes. The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.

This is a link to the box I have.
https://m.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in
-63518.html

Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic. I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino. I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Nigel,

That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.


Original poster:

Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion type display & controls? Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard. Might you elaborate on your project, please?


Ted
K3RTA




---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com
--
…_. _._

Re: Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

Jim Sheldon
 

I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and it's not quite as good as they claim.  Someone did a plot of it using a Siglent 3022x spectrum analyzer and posted the results.  I've grabbed the image and here it is.


------ Original Message ------
From: "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum@...>
Sent: 3/13/2019 1:45:07 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

It sure looks nice. Still, mine cost me $0.87 to build, has a 0.04 dB insertion loss at 7MHz, with this shape characteristics:

Inline image
1.6MHz is down about -50dB.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 2:26:14 PM EDT, Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:


Hello

In an earlier post Jack had shared his BCI filter design in reply to a
post where I was mentioning that my Ubitx V5 is sensitive to BCI.

For those who want a simple and effective way to do this I have one of
these from Amazon that works perfectly.
Its in-line and can handle the power easily and can be fitted in the
case using an SMA cable cut in half to make the connections.




plugs on v4 board #bitx20 #bitx40help #ubitx-help

Jon Sumpter
 

Hi Folks,
I have a uBITx v4 I purchased in December 2018. What is plug CW-2 and P3 for?
Jon S

Re: Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

Laurence Oberman
 

Thanks, Yep Jack's is a better option but for those in a hurry, the interference I had was all AM up to 1680 Khz and for that it does OK,
I had bought this before Jack gave me hist schematic.
So far have not seen any issues with it on 40 and 20 but I agree, ymv (your mileage may vary)

The V5 was unusable without this and is acceptable now until I can get Jack's filter built.




On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:
I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and it's not quite as good as they claim.  Someone did a plot of it using a Siglent 3022x spectrum analyzer and posted the results.  I've grabbed the image and here it is.


------ Original Message ------
From: "Jack Purdum via Groups.Io" <jjpurdum@...>
Sent: 3/13/2019 1:45:07 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Broadcast Interference filter for Ubitx

It sure looks nice. Still, mine cost me $0.87 to build, has a 0.04 dB insertion loss at 7MHz, with this shape characteristics:

Inline image
1.6MHz is down about -50dB.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 2:26:14 PM EDT, Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:


Hello

In an earlier post Jack had shared his BCI filter design in reply to a
post where I was mentioning that my Ubitx V5 is sensitive to BCI.

For those who want a simple and effective way to do this I have one of
these from Amazon that works perfectly.
Its in-line and can handle the power easily and can be fitted in the
case using an SMA cable cut in half to make the connections.




Re: uBITX V3 audio pop fix

Dexter N Muir
 

Liz at Raspberry Pi says "click to embiggen" :)
73 de ZL2DEX

Re: Balanced Mixer Audio Input Impedance

Jerry Gaffke
 

Evan was probably closer to the truth than I.
The CLK0 RF will have either one or the other diode conducting almost all the time, and thus the diodes are near zero resistance.

So I'd now think the input impedance seen by the mike amp will getting down towards 20 ohms,
regardless of the level of audio signal.
 
Max audio input level cant be so big that it makes the diodes conduct when they should not,
It should be the CLK0 RF level that determines which diode is conducting at any given time.
Not terribly obvious to me exactly what the allowable mike audio level would be,
but I'd guess down around 0.1 volts RMS of audio. 
But I could again be totally wrong here.

Jerry

Re: Raduino Remote Mount

Ted
 

Again:  Why wire the Raduino 2.5" or even feet away, rather than just the display (and controls)?   

I don't mean to second guess the design outrught; it may make a big difference in how the answer is applied.  My hope would be that a few inches will make little difference if any.

-ted
K3RTA



On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 14:28, Laurence Oberman
<oberman.l@...> wrote:
Mine is 3ft shielded and works fine so far. Its not always connected
but will be using it this weekend again to figure out my MIC voltage
issue.
You can re purpose an old parallel computer cable with the shielding

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:22 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
>
> How Long is too long.  Here is a picture of me holding up the arduino. The cable will probably be 2.5" or so.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 13:12 Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> The biggest issue is the noise if the cable is too long.
>> Use a shielded multicore cable and ensure shield is connected to chassis.
>> I have an extended cable for testing and its OK, but it will pick
>> induce digital noise back into the rf section if not properly managed.
>>
>> My 2c
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gigabyte <steven.b.hoff@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm wanting to mount the uBitx in a small waterproof enclosure.  The uBitx board fits but the Raduino doesn't fit so I'd like to have a cable so I can mount it in the enclosure somewhere above the uBitx because there isnt enough width to fit it.  I have a 3.5" Nextion I also ordered.  My idea is to put a li-ion battery pack Raspberry Pi, etc in the box. I have a 7" touchscreen I'm going to use with the Pi.  The idea is to have a small all in one go box for digital modes.  The 7" touch screen I plan on mounting in the lid of the box.
>> >
>> >
>> > Note: I'm a computer programmer so my understanding there is good. My understanding on the electrical side is basic.  I didn't know if there was a reason you couldn't create a short cable from the uBitx board to the Raduino.  I saw posts saying you could extend the display from the Raduino but not the Raduino to the uBitx.
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 04:13 Ted via Groups.Io <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Nigel,
>> >>
>> >> That is a nice setup; it isn't necessary to remote the Raduino in order to do that.
>> >> I'm wondering what the OP has in mind.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Original poster:
>> >>
>> >> Are you trying to remote the stock LCD screen and controls, or, a Nextion  type display & controls?  Theoretically, a 9-wire RS-232 shielded cable will have enough connections to do the latter; I've used a 15-pin VGA extension before, for redundant grounds and  stuff and the Raduino stayed with the mainboard.  Might you elaborate on your project, please?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Ted
>> >> K3RTA
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>


Re: Balanced Mixer Audio Input Impedance

Jerry Gaffke
 

C222 at 0.1uF is there to bypass any RF, pretty much no effect on audio.
Note that C63 at 1.0uF is an order of magnitude bigger.
C63 allows the audio through but blocks DC from the Q6 mike amp so the modulator sees audio centered on ground.


<frederick.brown@...> wrote:

There's also a cap that involved, C222-1?