Date   
Re: Watching Ashar on W5KUB

George Baumann
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3RGpRGn-w

Re: Responsibility! A fully test and tuned µBITX HF transceiver board (6″ by 5-1/2″).??? #bitx20 #legal

Curt
 

Geoff

Good idea to unplug.

I use a dummy load made from resistors, and I checked each band on cw. My rig is working except for a dip on 40m, it grows some as I seek to add a filter at 45 MHz to address spurious. See what your rig is doing. SSB slightly harder to test, but I have a fixed frequency audio oscillator that I did the same test with.

Every project has constraints, here the designer stuffed what he could on the board this size. As many do hams don't yet do cw, its a reasonable rig. I have had my moments with the ubitx, but its the only rig I used this past week. Keep in touch.

Curt

Re: Strange happenings!

barry halterman
 

Hi Donald! I like your idea better!
Thanks








On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 PM Donald <donwestpwl@... wrote:
Brian, thank you.

Barry, perhaps you might try keeping the meter circuit's ground separate from the radio ground. Also, if you have wires going from the detector & filter to the meter, you might try bypassing with a 0.01uF capacitor across those wires. The desired voltage at that point is dc.

Re: Strange happenings!

barry halterman
 

Opps Donald, it was Brian who showed the led setup. My bad.


On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 11:31 PM barry halterman via Groups.Io <kthreebo=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
Hi Donald! I like your idea better!
Thanks








On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 PM Donald <donwestpwl@... wrote:
Brian, thank you.

Barry, perhaps you might try keeping the meter circuit's ground separate from the radio ground. Also, if you have wires going from the detector & filter to the meter, you might try bypassing with a 0.01uF capacitor across those wires. The desired voltage at that point is dc.

Re: Help with no SSB TX #ssb

Evan Hand
 

Since the receiver is working, I would now look to see if you damaged something around C20 when you did the L5/L7 mod.  Not sure what test equipment you have, but a signal injected at TP14 should show up at the base of Q20.  I would do this with the rig power removed. I would also closely inspect the sections that you scraped off the coating to solder the inductors to.  You may have damaged the trace and now have an open circuit to C20 and the transmitter IF amp.

I do not understand what you mean when you say the signal decreases at TP17 and then increases at TP16.  I am travling for work this week, so cannot get to my rig to see what the signals should look like at TP16 and TP17.  Maybe someone else can help, otherwise I will check on Friday.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Re: Strange happenings!

Donald <donwestpwl@...>
 

No problem, Brian. I like that LED, too.

On 2/5/2019 10:34 PM, barry halterman wrote:
Opps Donald, it was Brian who showed the led setup. My bad.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 11:31 PM barry halterman via Groups.Io <kthreebo=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
Hi Donald! I like your idea better!
Thanks








On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 PM Donald <donwestpwl@... wrote:
Brian, thank you.

Barry, perhaps you might try keeping the meter circuit's ground separate from the radio ground. Also, if you have wires going from the detector & filter to the meter, you might try bypassing with a 0.01uF capacitor across those wires. The desired voltage at that point is dc.

Re: Strange happenings!

Donald <donwestpwl@...>
 

Yikes! No problem, *Barry*. It must be catching!

On 2/5/2019 11:45 PM, Donald via Groups.Io wrote:

No problem, Brian. I like that LED, too.

On 2/5/2019 10:34 PM, barry halterman wrote:
Opps Donald, it was Brian who showed the led setup. My bad.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 11:31 PM barry halterman via Groups.Io <kthreebo=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
Hi Donald! I like your idea better!
Thanks








On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 10:00 PM Donald <donwestpwl@... wrote:
Brian, thank you.

Barry, perhaps you might try keeping the meter circuit's ground separate from the radio ground. Also, if you have wires going from the detector & filter to the meter, you might try bypassing with a 0.01uF capacitor across those wires. The desired voltage at that point is dc.

ubitx v5 is in production

Ashhar Farhan
 

We have pushed the ubitx v5 into production. The intial 100 boards are here. I will update the website soon too. See the scans on https://groups.io/g/BITX20/album?id=84174
I have uploaded the new Arduino firmware and the schematic on https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v5/. The new firmware breaks backward compatibility with the previous firmware as the Intermediate Frequency is now 11.059 MHz and the relay switching is different.  Probably, is it is possible to patch the new code to switch between the two LPF relay switching schemes as well as the IF with some #define statements.
The new 'features' are :
- LM386 is back. All hail the cross-over distortion sickness!
- The IF is now 11.059 MHz, these crystals are easily available, with 68 pf, they give a pretty good 2.7 KHz band pass. As their frequency is away from any spur of 16 MHz and 25 MHz (the two crystal oscillators on the Raduino) hence, no spurs!
- The relay switching scheme is different. The 30 MHz LPF is now always on, the individual LPFs for lower bands are switched in or bypassed (by default). It is easily understood in the circuit diagram.
- The CW wave-shaper uses 1 uf capacitor in place of 0.1u, this reduces the key-clicks.

73, f.
- f

Re: Watching Ashar on W5KUB

Tom, wb6b
 

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 07:18 PM, George Baumann wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S3RGpRGn-w
Cool. I skimmed the video. Was interesting to see the new v5 board.

Also, for us folks that are experimenting with cobbling together an SA from various SDRs, it looks like Ashar is going to make a kit out of the little receiver he used in testing the CubeSat. It looks like it will make a very good SA at a very low price.

A design that is basically just a mixer and a simple IF bandpass filter may be one of the best ways to go. After all in the SA use case we don't want or need high sensitivity.

I think this is the GitHub link.

https://github.com/afarhan/antuino

Tom,
wb6b

Re: Ashhar Farhan #ubitx

Ashhar Farhan
 

Peeps!

I don't run HF Signals, I am a invester/partner in that business so I only get an update every month or so. For all your HF Signals related queries, write to hfsignals@.... Yes, they understand and correspond in English quite well.

I can't say what happened to your order or if it is shipped or not, I have no clue. For my son's birthday today, I ordered a uBITX four days and I expect it to be delivered tomorrow by domestic post.

- f   

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 8:32 AM Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:
I’m going to mute this topic


On Feb 5, 2019, at 22:01, "geoff@..." <geoff@...> wrote:

Okay.  Can you confirm that you have my order?
Can you give me any sort of estimate as to when my order might ship?
Does anyone know anything?

Geoff K5GAA

Geoff Adams


On Feb 5, 2019, at 6:07 PM, Dexter N Muir <dexy@...> wrote:

Yes, Geoff, Farhan has much more to deal with! In the Ham Radio / Electronics world alone, to my knowledge, there is a Space venture with Satellite (at least). And I'm not sure how fluent the BITX crew are in English (or other languages) to answer emails like the 'big-gun' professionals do, either ... If BITX is to be considered a business, it would be at most a 'cottage' venture.

73 de ZL2DEX


ubitx mobile in a car

terry hughes
 

hi

has anybody ran a ubitx as a mobile in a car. if so what sort of antenna was used and what sort of results did you get.  was it cw or ssb

i guess you need to park somewhere to use cw or the fuz will get you

is there any advantage in parking at the top of a hill.

terry gm4dso

Re: ubitx mobile in a car

Vic WA4THR
 

Not a uBitX (yet), but I have used my BitX40 a number of times mobile with a 40m Hamstick on a magnet mount on the roof. It works surprisingly well and I've had some nice reports while underway. I did have to add an alternator whine filter as the rig was picking up a lot of that, but now it is very quiet.

=Vic=

Re: ubitx mobile in a car

Ted
 

I've set up my ubitx originally as a mobile rig, with two remote components - a vol/mike/tuning knob component on the end of a 2.5-foot VGA cable and a Nextjon screen on the end of a 3.5-foot USB cable (hard-wired, both). The screen was mounted on a cell phone holder that attaches to the CD slot in my radio (clearly visible/accessible) and the control head along the side of the center console. 

I affixed a Microswitch on the end of a mouse cable to the auto-trans shifter - which would have been very useful if I was allowed by SWMBO to have a proper transmission.... This was a redundant PTT being as the microphone was right there, but, I also had a single-ear headset with microphone available.  My goal was for a rig that will operate mobile but will also serve as a transportable/parked digital station for Winlink, APRS Messenger, etc.

The antenna was/is a very thin 8-foot steel whip mounted on a 1.5-in. diameter PVC tube with deeply threaded ends (from a retired instrument from work)  & which had 3/8-24 threads already in the ends (actually, 18,"-NPT). Steel nuts inside the ends give structural integrity. I wrapped about 25'of wire around the tube and made all connections, then placed an auto-tuner in the back of the car and connected that to the radio up under the passenger seat. The radio tuned up with the auto-tuner fine on 40-meters, my hopeful band of choice; all other bands would not tune. The tuner just kept click-clacking away like mad, leading me to wonder if bad spurs were confusing the box even after Axion relays were installed. 

The antenna coil wire was later removed and replaced by about 10-ft of wire and a 9:1 balun inside the tube, with a stub to the chassis from the balun. All bands would now tune but not without a lot of chatter each time [when it's supposed to memorize frequency settings].  This remains the current antenna configuration, with the aerial pulled over the roof in a nearly horizontal, military-vehicle style form. It's covered in black heat-shrink on the bottom half and painted black up to the top to match my other two antennae, so, it's an interesting look for a dark-blue RAV-4.

Performance-wise, I made a few 40-meter  contacts and one 80-meter contact. All were reported as one might expect from a 4w (40 meters) or 10w (80m) radio on a paperclip but it worked!  Sort of.  The abysmal RF level on 40m just didnt cut it past the first contacts there and it seems just too lossy for 80m. I didnt try all that hard on 20m, possibly because i don't expect to have a problem making that or other, higher bands "work"; I have a homemade, NMO-mount single band antenna for 20 from my MFJ-9420 days that I know will work if I want to force the issue.  

The next step was to throw on the 80-to-200 watt amp. Audio through that block was terrible! Strong but heavily distorted for some reason, whereas it worked fine with the 10-meter radio and the MFJ-9420. Again - spurs?  Unknown.  I've decided to transplant this radio into a Pelican style case for a Zombie Apocalypse response asset instead, which has been accompanied with some  failures along the way. Un-building and re-building seems to provide - for me, anyway - a false economy in time and foul language.  

Perhaps a single-bander such as the  Bitx-40 or -20 will function better as a mobile, though a much more exhaustive trial with other antennae should be attempted. For instance, I tried an 80m Hamstick with the tuner and radio which did hear much better on 80m.... I even tuned up fairly well on 160m but made no contacts. 

At present, the antenna is off and will eventually be tuned using a conventional transceiver or salvaged in lieu of a commercial type. The radio has a replacement mainboard on the way and the former mainboard on minimal life-support after an accidental overdose of electrons [27v] during the rebuild effort. If that board recovers, i may try it as a mobie again but then, if I had the patience to get it going, it would be in service already in the sealed box.


- Ted
K3RTA

Re: ubitx v5 is in production

Ted
 

Nice!  Thank you for implimenting this project. Those waveforms look really nice.  Outstanding.




73,

Ted
K3RTA





On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 1:33, Ashhar Farhan
<farhanbox@...> wrote:
We have pushed the ubitx v5 into production. The intial 100 boards are here. I will update the website soon too. See the scans on https://groups.io/g/BITX20/album?id=84174
I have uploaded the new Arduino firmware and the schematic on https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v5/. The new firmware breaks backward compatibility with the previous firmware as the Intermediate Frequency is now 11.059 MHz and the relay switching is different.  Probably, is it is possible to patch the new code to switch between the two LPF relay switching schemes as well as the IF with some #define statements.
The new 'features' are :
- LM386 is back. All hail the cross-over distortion sickness!
- The IF is now 11.059 MHz, these crystals are easily available, with 68 pf, they give a pretty good 2.7 KHz band pass. As their frequency is away from any spur of 16 MHz and 25 MHz (the two crystal oscillators on the Raduino) hence, no spurs!
- The relay switching scheme is different. The 30 MHz LPF is now always on, the individual LPFs for lower bands are switched in or bypassed (by default). It is easily understood in the circuit diagram.
- The CW wave-shaper uses 1 uf capacitor in place of 0.1u, this reduces the key-clicks.

73, f.
- f

Re: ubitx mobile in a car

Dave Dixon
 

Hello Terry,
                  I hope youre well and enjoying that ubitx...Ive used mine portable with an 84 foot of wire and used VK3 YE switched inducter atu or you can buy G3 CWI ONE for £20 and build it.It worked on my bitx and aerial,i would suggest you sit near a loch the water will give you a better take off rather than sit on top of a hill on stoney ground,,I see they have brught out version 5 ubitx now  but will see what the outcome of this is as there have been a few problems along the way with the ubitx for the yanks due to there restrictions on emissions.Well the skies have finally cleared and its the first time ive seen blue sky for 2 weeks.Okay have to skeeadle now as gotta fight my way into Salisbury the roads are atroucious with tarmac lorries and huge articulated lorries passing through plus as its all arable land around here you get the compliment of tractors and trailers also.But ill be sure not to be on the road at 15.30 hrs thas when the mums pick up there kids from schools and they do some really stupid driving and over taking and break the speed limits to boot TAKE CARE, STAY WELL, DRY AND WARM.Regards Dave G0AYD.


On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 08:51, terry hughes via Groups.Io <terryhugheskirkcudbright=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
hi

has anybody ran a ubitx as a mobile in a car. if so what sort of antenna was used and what sort of results did you get.  was it cw or ssb

i guess you need to park somewhere to use cw or the fuz will get you

is there any advantage in parking at the top of a hill.

terry gm4dso

Re: Spurs/Harmonics fixes for v4 based on v5 board design?

Dave Space
 

Nice idea. I see lots of things mention small coax, is that like coax they use for SMA connectors, something else?


On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 06:40 PM, jim wrote:
 
remote mounted the display/controller ...small coax on all clock leads  ... plugged filter into main-board connector, clock lead to filter board
 
Jim
 
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 5:14:43 PM PST, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:
 
 
Jim looks interesting did you put that filter at the pin where it plugs into the board or someplace else easier to access?


Also I think I found a possible solution to my spur I need to test more.  While transmitting at 7.15MHZ KT1 and KT2 are enabled.  I found if I ground the RX pins while transmitting the 5mhz spur is totally gone. (I need to see when I move transmit if any harmonics come back.)

Presuming that works I'm thinking buy 3 more relays and when transmit enables have it ground the RX pins..  With some careful placement could probably even just solder them to the bottom of the board perhaps or could go with PCB and a few wires if needed perhaps if this all tests out.

Re: Spurs/Harmonics fixes for v4 based on v5 board design?

Dave Space
 

Hmm grounding helped on 7 mhz band but dropped signal on others.   Going to try that filter added to the lpf to start with since I've got that stuff handy to try.


On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 04:20 AM, Dave Space wrote:
Nice idea. I see lots of things mention small coax, is that like coax they use for SMA connectors, something else?


On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 06:40 PM, jim wrote:
 
remote mounted the display/controller ...small coax on all clock leads  ... plugged filter into main-board connector, clock lead to filter board
 
Jim
 
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 5:14:43 PM PST, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:
 
 
Jim looks interesting did you put that filter at the pin where it plugs into the board or someplace else easier to access?


Also I think I found a possible solution to my spur I need to test more.  While transmitting at 7.15MHZ KT1 and KT2 are enabled.  I found if I ground the RX pins while transmitting the 5mhz spur is totally gone. (I need to see when I move transmit if any harmonics come back.)

Presuming that works I'm thinking buy 3 more relays and when transmit enables have it ground the RX pins..  With some careful placement could probably even just solder them to the bottom of the board perhaps or could go with PCB and a few wires if needed perhaps if this all tests out.

Re: Spurs/Harmonics fixes for v4 based on v5 board design?

Evan Hand
 

Dave,
You may be onto something with grounding the RX signal.  It is possible that the output of the stage is being fed back through the receiver first IF amp as a rectified signal through the base/emitter junctions.  Grounding would short that signal at the base of Q11.

The grounding of the RX line could be done with only one "extra" relay at K1.  I would rewire the second relay in parallel with K1 and use one of the contacts to switch RX between the output of the K1 relay and ground.  You could just cut the RX line and ground the signal when energized, however a relay failure of K1 would then short the 12v to ground. If going this route (not recommended as there could be time delays that would cause internal arcing of the relays) I would put in separate fuses for the PA and main board, and make the board fuse less than 1 amp (maybe 1/2).  Do not want to burn up any traces on the board.

First thought was to re-purpose the antenna part of K1, however not sure why it is grounding the open line from the antenna.  I suspect that it would be an antenna and cause feedbaack to the PA lineup.

A separate thought, maybe a bypass cap by the first IF RX input would do the same thing without a relay.  Maybe a .1uf?  There is one on the other side of the 10 ohm R10, however that is = to a series RC of 220ohm and .1uf.  Putting in another cap on the other side of R10 would ground the signal better.

When I get home I may try that for myself to see what happens.  Will not be until the weekend.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Re: ubitx mobile in a car

Jay - WS4JM
 

I have mine shoehorned into an old CB case and hooked up to a Workman 75M hamstick. I have made numerous contacts both local and out to about 500 miles. The hamstick is narrow banded, but seems to work well in its tuned range. As stated above it works surprisingly well for 15W and and inefficient antenna.

Good Luck and 73 de WS4JM
Jay

Re: ubitx v5 is in production

M0OOZ
 

So maybe you could send me a working uBITX 5 as the one you sent is a dead board!

May the peace be with you. 

73s

M0OOZ

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, 07:33 Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@... wrote:
We have pushed the ubitx v5 into production. The intial 100 boards are here. I will update the website soon too. See the scans on https://groups.io/g/BITX20/album?id=84174
I have uploaded the new Arduino firmware and the schematic on https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v5/. The new firmware breaks backward compatibility with the previous firmware as the Intermediate Frequency is now 11.059 MHz and the relay switching is different.  Probably, is it is possible to patch the new code to switch between the two LPF relay switching schemes as well as the IF with some #define statements.
The new 'features' are :
- LM386 is back. All hail the cross-over distortion sickness!
- The IF is now 11.059 MHz, these crystals are easily available, with 68 pf, they give a pretty good 2.7 KHz band pass. As their frequency is away from any spur of 16 MHz and 25 MHz (the two crystal oscillators on the Raduino) hence, no spurs!
- The relay switching scheme is different. The 30 MHz LPF is now always on, the individual LPFs for lower bands are switched in or bypassed (by default). It is easily understood in the circuit diagram.
- The CW wave-shaper uses 1 uf capacitor in place of 0.1u, this reduces the key-clicks.

73, f.
- f