Date   
Re: uBitx V4 test point measurement chart #ubitx #ubitx-help

Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB
 

There already is a diagnostics guide for V3 by Ufi Auttori, who is a regular here too (at least so I think).
You can download it here uBitx Diagnostics Guide V3

The differences between v3 and v4 aren't so big, so hat this might be of help.

Re: JackAl Encoder question...

PeteWK8S
 

Are encoder switches needed for both encoders?  As I stated previously my main encoder does not have a switch but the secondary (ALS) will have a switch.
I can add a small momentary push button if the main encoder requires a switch.

What are or will the encoder push switches be used for?

Pete WK8S

Re: JackAl Encoder question...

Jack, W8TEE
 

At the present time, switches are needed for both encoders. We probably could change the main tuning encoder to do no switching, but there are more important things to do first.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, January 11, 2019, 3:49:25 PM EST, PeteWK8S via Groups.Io <pmeier@...> wrote:


Are encoder switches needed for both encoders?  As I stated previously my main encoder does not have a switch but the secondary (ALS) will have a switch.
I can add a small momentary push button if the main encoder requires a switch.

What are or will the encoder push switches be used for?

Pete WK8S

Re: Harmonics and Relay Replacement

ohwenzelph
 

The guys at “soldersmoke” (should be Hairy Pahtuh’s tin whiskers and the noxious fumes of fulguratin’ rosins) said the first lesson was which end of the iron to grab...

Re: MAX9814 as AGC preamp for output

Dennis Yancey
 

Thanks, John. Will give it a whirl.
--
72 and God bless
KD4EPG

Re: Harmonics and Relay Replacement

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-717-1197
 

And don't try to catch it if you drop it.


On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 14:28 ohwenzelph via Groups.Io <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
The guys at “soldersmoke” (should be Hairy Pahtuh’s tin whiskers and the noxious fumes of fulguratin’ rosins) said the first lesson was which end of the iron to grab...

Re: JackAl Encoder question...

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>
 

Note to the group:

When making holes in plastic and metal, a hole punch is ideal
for larger holes but I have used a hole saw set purchased at
Harbor Freight for successful holes with little problem. In fact,
I used a battery operated hand drill exclusively for making the
holes and for driving screws, where appropriate. Just take your
time and go slowly. As always, using a hole saw is not done
with any degree of carelessness and putting the material on
top of a 2X4 board is better than finding a hold in a desk where
the pilot drill goes beyond the work piece.

Just an idea for the hands-on workman.

Also, for the uBitx, I used a wooden base, actually it was
a wooden painting piece from Walmart and the top, sides
and back were made from a Dry Marker board from Lowes.
The front was a piece of sheet metal from the "innards" of
an old toaster that was a sheet metal shield. To make the
window for the display, I used a nibbler. Next time, I plan
to get a pre-made box because it will be more compact this
way and no need to worry about making holes for cooling
the heat sinks.

Just more possible ideas for those who like to use their hands.
This comes from someone who went to Tool & Die school at
IBM in the late '60's and I don't like to wait to see the radio in
actual working mode.

Bob — KK5R

--------------------------------------------

On Fri, 1/11/19, Albert Peter <albertfpeter@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] JackAl Encoder question...
To: "BITX20@groups.io" <BITX20@groups.io>
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 6:08 AM

#yiv3605895103
#yiv3605895103 --

_filtered #yiv3605895103 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
_filtered #yiv3605895103 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15
5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
#yiv3605895103
#yiv3605895103 p.yiv3605895103MsoNormal, #yiv3605895103
li.yiv3605895103MsoNormal, #yiv3605895103
div.yiv3605895103MsoNormal
{margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}
#yiv3605895103 a:link, #yiv3605895103
span.yiv3605895103MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv3605895103 a:visited, #yiv3605895103
span.yiv3605895103MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}
#yiv3605895103 .yiv3605895103MsoChpDefault
{}
_filtered #yiv3605895103 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
#yiv3605895103 div.yiv3605895103WordSection1
{}
#yiv3605895103 Dexter,That is fine if you have one
and if it fits into your panel design.  It was easier for
me to drill a couple of hole than to try to retrofit a 5 or
6 jack assembly from an old computer.  But, if It works for
you, go for it.
 Thanks for the
suggestion.Al  Sent from Mail
for Windows 10
 From: Dexter N
Muir
Sent: Wednesday, January 9,
2019 7:16 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] JackAl Encoder
question...
 Isolated headphone
jack? How ancient is your junkbox? Old sound cards have them
in various forms - even color-coded.
73 de
ZL2DEX

Re: MAX9814 as AGC preamp for output

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>
 

This a valuable suggestion. Looks very promising. Thanks.

Bob — KK5R

--------------------------------------------

On Fri, 1/11/19, MVS Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] MAX9814 as AGC preamp for output
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 9:04 AM

Wayne, go on ebay.com and type item 
292736691077

 you would get it
please. 
regardssarmavu3zmv

On Fri, Jan
11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Wayne Leake <wayneleake@...>
wrote:
 Ted, the
"here" does not take me to the correct place.
 Now I am wondering.
 Best,
usually, to paste in the actual URL. Wayne WA2YNE

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

Dave Space
 

Yep that was a great suggestion by you.  Those measurements were at VOL- high.

TP 1 @ 7.150MHZ 700uV gave 0.1 p-p
TP2 "                      200uV gave 0.1 p-p

TP16 took like 300uV to get to 0.1 p-p, so a lot more
TP17 took much more like maybe over 2000uV.. have to go back and measure.  


On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM, jim wrote:
 
 
 
On Sunday, January 6, 2019, 7:43:06 PM PST, jim <ab7vf@...> wrote:
 
 
Just as a suggestion ..Use the "VOL-H" point as a reference on testing rf levels ...that way both the V3 and V4 boards will be applicable
 
Jim

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#63554) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

 
 

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

Dave Space
 

I'm wondering about the crystal filter.  I input a signal at tp17 11.996 or around there to get a tone at 290mv it only comes out at <10mv peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope at tp20.  Seems like an awful lot of loss or I'm detuning the filter or something with the test. 

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>
 

The type tip/cable you use on the tp may also be a factor.
Maybe you use an isolated tip but if not, the tip/cable's
input impedance and resistance may be affecting the
signal. Just a reminder. I'm also assuming it's an RF tip.

Bob — KK4R

--------------------------------------------

On Fri, 1/11/19, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

I'm wondering about
the crystal filter.  I input a signal at tp17 11.996 or
around there to get a tone at 290mv it only comes out at
<10mv peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound
right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope at tp20. 
Seems like an awful lot of loss or I'm detuning the
filter or something with the test.

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

Dave Space
 

Hmm..I am rather new to this... I'm using the oscilloscope probes for both the signal generator input (set to 1x) at tp17 and oscilloscope probe at tp20 also set to 1x (as I believe I should be able to see the ~1khz or so signal at that point right? In the MHZ range I'd have to have it switched to 10x but figured I'm looking for low frequency 1x gives more granular voltage down to 2mv)  I tried using a small cap but I think it offset the voltage... might have to try it again with that ac coupled maybe.




On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 05:37 PM, Bob Lunsford wrote:
The type tip/cable you use on the tp may also be a factor.
Maybe you use an isolated tip but if not, the tip/cable's
input impedance and resistance may be affecting the
signal. Just a reminder. I'm also assuming it's an RF tip.

Bob — KK4R

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 1/11/19, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

I'm wondering about
the crystal filter.  I input a signal at tp17 11.996 or
around there to get a tone at 290mv it only comes out at
<10mv peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound
right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope at tp20. 
Seems like an awful lot of loss or I'm detuning the
filter or something with the test.

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

jim
 

Oscilloscope probes may have high impedance ..try measureing the dc resistance of the probes ..in both x1 and x10 positions ..really best to 'somehow' try to match the output impedance of the rf generator to the input impedance of the circuit under test

use a dc blocking capicitor (.01 uF is fine) between the rf generator and the circuit under test ..You will need to tune the rf gen for max output thru the filter ..may not be exactly 11.997 or whatever mhz ...depends on the crystals and the caps in the filter

Jim

On Friday, January 11, 2019, 5:56:14 PM PST, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:


Hmm..I am rather new to this... I'm using the oscilloscope probes for both the signal generator input (set to 1x) at tp17 and oscilloscope probe at tp20 also set to 1x (as I believe I should be able to see the ~1khz or so signal at that point right? In the MHZ range I'd have to have it switched to 10x but figured I'm looking for low frequency 1x gives more granular voltage down to 2mv)  I tried using a small cap but I think it offset the voltage... might have to try it again with that ac coupled maybe.




On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 05:37 PM, Bob Lunsford wrote:
The type tip/cable you use on the tp may also be a factor.
Maybe you use an isolated tip but if not, the tip/cable's
input impedance and resistance may be affecting the
signal. Just a reminder. I'm also assuming it's an RF tip.

Bob — KK4R

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 1/11/19, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

I'm wondering about
the crystal filter.  I input a signal at tp17 11.996 or
around there to get a tone at 290mv it only comes out at
<10mv peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound
right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope at tp20. 
Seems like an awful lot of loss or I'm detuning the
filter or something with the test.

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

jim
 

To amplify a little bit ..Just measured my Tektronix P6100 probe ..100 ohms dc resistance at X1 and 9 Meg at X10 ...In the theoretical world, an ideal voltage source has Zero ohms impedance ..reality ..maybe 1 or 2  ohms ..they (the manufacturer of the test set) stuff some kind of network on the output to make it 50 ohms for rf ...used to be 600 ohms for audio ..dono if thats still true ..so...if your probes are 100 ohm at X1 then :   Rf Gen 50 ohm>>scope probe 100 ohm>>> terrminated at 50 ohm load ..equals 150 ohm in series with 50 ohm ..voltage drop across 150 ohm will decrease generator "ideal" output... 75% dropped across the generator/test lead resistance ..25% across the load

To test ..first measure rf gen output without it connected to circuit ...connect to circuit ,,measure at point where connected

Different?

Jim



On Friday, January 11, 2019, 11:04:54 PM PST, jim via Groups.Io <ab7vf@...> wrote:


Oscilloscope probes may have high impedancer  ..try measureing the dc resistance of the probes ..in both x1 and x10 positions ..really best to 'somehow' try to match the output impedance of the rf generator to the input impedance of the circuit under test

use a dc blocking capicitor (.01 uF is fine) between the rf generator and the circuit under test ..You will need to tune the rf gen for max output thru the filter ..may not be exactly 11.997 or whatever m Xhz ...depends on the crystals and the caps in the filter

Jim
On Friday, January 11, 2019, 5:56:14 PM PST, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:


Hmm..I am rather new to this... I'm using the oscilloscope probes for both the signal generator input (set to 1x) at tp17 and oscilloscope probe at tp20 also set to 1x (as I believe I should be able to see the ~1khz or so signal at that point right? In the MHZ range I'd have to have it switched to 10x but figured I'm looking for low frequency 1x gives more granular voltage down to 2mv)  I tried using a small cap but I think it offset the voltage... might have to try it again with that ac coupled maybe.




On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 05:37 PM, Bob Lunsford wrote:
The type tip/cable you use on the tp may also be a factor.
Maybe you use an isolated tip but if not, the tip/cable's
input impedance and resistance may be affecting the
signal. Just a reminder. I'm also assuming it's an RF tip.

Bob — KK4R

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 1/11/19, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

I'm wondering about
the crystal filter.  I input a signal at tp17 11.996 or
around there to get a tone at 290mv it only comes out at
<10mv peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound
right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope at tp20. 
Seems like an awful lot of loss or I'm detuning the
filter or something with the test.

Mini PA für my uBITX #ubitx

DC3MS
 

Hi. I cant thank Ashhar Farhan and Ian (KD8CEC) enough for bringing me back into ham radio.

The ubitx and Ians software are so much fun.

I just completed my little PA using eBay modules ( MRF186 + LPF Board ) and a NANO connected via i2c to control it.

Just wanted to share it.

Regards Mark, DC3MS

 

Re: Mini PA für my uBITX #ubitx

Art Boelke
 

Nice!

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 2:46 AM Mark Schraven <mark.schraven@...> wrote:

Hi. I cant thank Ashhar Farhan and Ian (KD8CEC) enough for bringing me back into ham radio.

The ubitx and Ians software are so much fun.

I just completed my little PA using eBay modules ( MRF186 + LPF Board ) and a NANO connected via i2c to control it.

Just wanted to share it.

Regards Mark, DC3MS

 

Re: Mini PA für my uBITX #ubitx

Brian Arnott
 

Nice looking setup Mark. Any chance of more detail?

Regards

Brian

Re: Tracing receive signal for low signal

Bob Lunsford <nocrud222@...>
 

Simple way to see if the probe's inductance, if there is any, has
any effect is to touch an oscillator's connections in the frequency
selection area to see if the frequency shifts.

Another factor is the loading and this means resistance. If you have
two forms of signal level reading, put one on at a later stage while
touching an earlieer stage. If the earlier stage is not at a gain that
is saturated, the later stage should not be affected by touching an
earlier stage.

It is common in metrology to use different pieces of test equipment
to check each other. In fact, this is precisely what is done. I worked
in test equipment calibration and certification at Fort Hood for six
years and we had A-level calibration there which is good as the
Pueblo, CO standards bureau. We were C-level calibration. We
repaired, tested and certified the equipment and it was then passed
to the A-level for their testing and certification.

Probes have considerations of both [residual] inductance and
resistance. The ideal is zero inductance and a high resistance. This
is why one wants a high resistance multimeter and why a 20K/volt
over a 1K/volt meter was wanted in the old days. Today, meters
are generally at least 20K/volt and no worries unless a needle
movement type is contemplated.

The idea is to use a probe that has the least effect on the circuit under
test. If this means using a X10 probe and doing some math or using
a different scale, this should be done to avoid affecting the readings
and coming up with something that has less real-world meaning.

Bob — KK5R

--------------------------------------------

On Sat, 1/12/19, jim via Groups.Io <ab7vf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Saturday, January 12, 2019, 2:43 AM


To amplify a little bit ..Just measured my
Tektronix P6100 probe ..100 ohms dc resistance at X1 and 9
Meg at X10 ...In the theoretical world, an ideal voltage
source has Zero ohms impedance ..reality ..maybe 1 or
2  ohms ..they (the manufacturer of the test set) stuff
some kind of network on the output to make it 50 ohms for rf
...used to be 600 ohms for audio ..dono if thats still true
..so...if your probes are 100 ohm at X1 then :  
Rf Gen 50 ohm>>scope probe 100 ohm>>>
terrminated at 50 ohm load ..equals 150 ohm in series with
50 ohm ..voltage drop across 150 ohm will decrease generator
"ideal" output... 75% dropped across the
generator/test lead resistance ..25% across the
load
To test ..first measure rf gen output without it
connected to circuit ...connect to circuit ,,measure at
point where connected

Different?

Jim









On Friday, January 11, 2019, 11:04:54 PM
PST, jim via Groups.Io <ab7vf=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:






Oscilloscope probes may have high
impedancer  ..try measureing the dc resistance of the
probes ..in both x1 and x10 positions ..really best to
'somehow' try to match the output impedance of the
rf generator to the input impedance of the circuit under
test
use a dc blocking
capicitor (.01 uF is fine) between the rf generator and the
circuit under test ..You will need to tune the rf gen for
max output thru the filter ..may not be exactly 11.997 or
whatever m Xhz ...depends on the crystals and the caps in
the filter
Jim






On Friday, January 11, 2019, 5:56:14 PM
PST, Dave Space <davesspacebar@...> wrote:





Hmm..I
am rather new to this... I'm using the oscilloscope
probes for both the signal generator input (set to 1x) at
tp17 and oscilloscope probe at tp20 also set to 1x (as I
believe I should be able to see the ~1khz or so signal at
that point right? In the MHZ range I'd have to have it
switched to 10x but figured I'm looking for low
frequency 1x gives more granular voltage down to 2mv) 
I tried using a small cap but I think it offset the
voltage... might have to try it again with that ac coupled
maybe.




On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 05:37
PM, Bob Lunsford wrote:

The type tip/cable you use on the tp may also be
a factor.
Maybe you use an isolated tip but
if not, the tip/cable's
input impedance
and resistance may be affecting the
signal.
Just a reminder. I'm also assuming it's an RF
tip.

Bob — KK4R

--------------------------------------------
On Fri, 1/11/19, Dave Space
<davesspacebar@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tracing receive signal
for low signal
To: BITX20@groups.io
Date: Friday, January 11, 2019, 8:21 PM

I'm wondering about
the crystal filter.  I input a signal at
tp17 11.996 or
around there to get a tone at
290mv it only comes out at
<10mv
peak-peak that's like -29db does that sound
right? I'm measuring with the oscilloscope
at tp20. 
Seems like an awful lot of
loss or I'm detuning the
filter or
something with the test.

Re: Mini PA für my uBITX #ubitx

DC3MS
 

Thank you Brian.

The PA board is available on eBay from different sellers. The boards are also used in the MX-P50M. https://vk2qr.wordpress.com/2014/11/25/mx-p50m-hf-amplifier-review/
I added a tandem match from eb104.ru, 4 arduino relays for PTT and ATT (-6dB) and an optocoupler board for switching the LPFs.

The Nano is connected to the ubitx via i2c. I had to insert some lines to send the frequency and PTT info. A tight fit in Ians software, not much memory left.

I tend to forget to switch antennas when changing fom 40/80m to higher bands and blew up a few finals in the past, so the code in the amplifier demands a low power tune after band changes.

When transmitting and high SWR occurs, PTT is disabled.

ATT is enabled on 20-80m as my ubitx puts out more then 5W on These bands.

Will gladly share all details when interested,  

Re: Mini PA für my uBITX #ubitx

Art Olson
 

Mark

Great job. I would be interested in details also

Art
N2AJO

On Jan 12, 2019, at 7:10 AM, DC3MS <mark.schraven@...> wrote:

MX-P50M