Date   
Re: #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink #bitx40help

Jack Margolis <jmargolis9@...>
 

I'm still confused on how to change the frequency of the Radiuno that is supplied with the Bitx40 kit.

Does one need to edit the sketch of push buttons on the Radiuno.  I've looked at the firmware and it shows the bottom and top range of the two VFOs.   

I am also not sure about setting the BFOs, etc to give me USB on 20 Meters.  I want to buy a 40 meter Bitsx change the two filters ....then do whatever to the Raduino.

Thanks in advance for your help.   73   Jack  

Re: #ubitx SSM2167 mic compressor speaker feedback issue - resolved #ubitx

Timothy Fidler
 

That is just beautiful . Has anyone measured the improvement in PEP out with compression on ??

Re: Spurious Emission Measurement on stock uBitX

JJ1FXF
 

Looking at the “strongest spur frequency” column, 42.4700MHz spur was -41.1dBc at 21.2250MHz row.

However, with AT, the 42.4700 spur was dropped to only -45.6dBc which tendency is different from other bands.

Then looking at the 28.8500MHz rows, 14.4270MHz spur was observed as the strongest without AT, but 43.3000MHz was the strongest spur with AT.

Maybe this Pi-C AT does not work efficiently above 30++MHz?

I don’t know. So additional LFP which cuts above 30MHz may be a good trial.

I’ll do it next time, maybe after casing my uBitX.

// hiro, JJ1FXF



2018年8月18日(土) 5:21 iz oos <and2oosiz2@...>:

Arv,
I said that on the basis of the results shown in the table by Hiro. At 15m he has shown the biggest spur at 42Mhz not the one Allison first detected on 23Mhz. For the one at 42Mhz a CB low pass should suffice.


Il 17/ago/2018 20:13, "Arv Evans" <arvid.evans@...> ha scritto:
Iz Oos

Might not want to encourage uBITX users to expect that a CB filter will make it legal
on 15 meters.  The 15M spur is in the 23 MHz range so would not be attenuated by
a 30 MHz LPF.

Arv K7HKL
_._


On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM iz oos <and2oosiz2@...> wrote:

Hi Hiro, nice analysis, if I understand right if you add also any 30mhz (also like CB) lowpass filter you may transmit on 15m band. Isn't? Is the Trio tuner a simple pi-tuner? I have just done a variable low pass filter with a double 450pf air variable capacitor a six position switch and a 130-7 toroid and looking at PC the results from my antenna analyzer it seems better than expected.


Il 17/ago/2018 16:39, "JJ1FXF" <jj1fxf@...> ha scritto:
Hi, all.

Attached is a PDF file which shows the results of measuing spurious emission on my uBitX which I haven't modified its hardware/software at all.

Here, in Japan, the spurious emission should be less than -50dBc and so the list indicates I can use my uBitX with a Pi-C antenna tuner, but not on 15m unfortunately.

This time, I checked only the CW transmission beccause I had a problem to measure SSB case. It would be very much appreciated if someone could advise to me.

To measure the spurious emission on SSB, at first I need to saturate the PA output by the mic input of so called "pseudo voice" that is 1.5kHz sine wave, and when the output is saturated by increasing the input leve, then 80% of the input level will be used to measuer spurious emission, the Lab guy explained to me.

However, uBitX output won't be saturated which means I couldn't observe the flat level of PA output as increasing the input (pseudo voice) level, but suddenly the output level falls down to a few mW.

The Lab guy said it would be because uBitX didn't have an ALC - Auto Level Controller of the mic input.

So please advise to me how I can saturate the output (PA) level with such a "pseudo voice" input? Maybe bring an external mic compressor? However, how can I observe the flat level of PA output?

Thank you for reading my long email. Hope someone can help me. If you are interested in screen shots of the spurious analyzer, feel free to email me.

BR,

// hiro, JJ1FXF





Re: #ubitx SSM2167 mic compressor speaker feedback issue - resolved #ubitx

John (vk2eta)
 

Thanks Kevin.

Tim, I didn't write down the results but I remember noting that the average power was more than twice as without the compressor.

73, John

Re: Ubitx - Increased voltage to finals thru middle wire on power plug...no effect

Kevin Rea
 

hi Adrian, no I do not have any current limiting that I know of I'm powering the 12 volts with 5 amp and then I'm powering the sitter lead of the power connector with a 5 amp at 23 volts and I am getting 23 volts at the finals. Still ,no difference in output.

Re: Ubitx - Increased voltage to finals thru middle wire on power plug...no effect

Kevin Rea
 

Hi Adrian,
is there a current limit somewhere in the rig?

Kevin Rea

Re: #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink #bitx40help

Timothy Fidler
 

JM there is a whole lot of information here around this BBS in various corners.  see right down bottom of this post...
(public version of post sent privately a while back) 
Extra filters can come from Kees Talen who sells little PCBs for this purpose .  Moto appn note AN267 is  your friend for this design.  KT sells parts .. you do the design.

you will need to change out the IRF PA for a  proper Mitsi HF or VHF Mosfet. The pinouts don.'t align as Flowers found out but he worked out a kludge - eg wiring the RF transformer direct to the drain of the RDHH16.  The fact that the  Source and tab on the RDHH16 and 15 Mosfets are the same simplifies some of the rework and of course makes heat sinking a lot easier. Those Mosfets are avail at reasonable prices as in just over 5 usd plus freight from "cecil the parts place". DIZ,  the toroid king used to stock them but >....no more.

  There is a V2 version two that involves hardware mods- BEWARE.  Best have a backup plan like a second Raduino or a clone so you can always fall back to plan A.
 
https://github.com/amunters/bitx40   is a new load of software that may do many things you want. It also contains a whole lot of fixes and includes CW capability.

In terms of display for both 40 and 20 m with a dual band design (??)  this item (search for 6 digit freq counter) from www.mpja.com might solve your problem $13 USD without a recode job. you use the frequency counter in native mode to display frequency in 20m operation and the original Bitx display for 40 m operation  (sounded like a good idea at the time ).

Type 43 material is pretty lossy above  7 Mhz.(can forward data) there are magnetics which if you change  them out will make a difference.   Flowers got 6W out he says with only the Mosfet change.  Without that change he was getting less than 2 W out.

MOtorola design note AN267 is your friend for  designing the New output filter.  (Kees supplies parts not designs)
===============================================================================
With six watts you can drive plenty of amps that will give you 50W+  out 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_z6dl9xgo&t=263s

Just The guts of this amp come up from time to time on Ebay as just PCBs all ready to go but no case  for region of $80 USD. It uses an MRF-186 dual RF mosfet  ..beware imitations esp beware of SMPS mosfet kits .  Crude as hell but it works and is hard to kill it seems. Somebody in PRC obviously lucked into a whole lot of surplus Motorola parts at bargain prices

There are some reviews of it on Austr. websites./blogsites 
======================================================================================

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/bitx40_convert_to_20_meters/5162026?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5162026

Re: Spurious Emission Measurement on stock uBitX

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Iz oos, Arv, and all...

That test was CW mode so harmonics would be the prime issue.  It is required
to be SSB  for the spurs (and harmonics) to appear.  Its the difference between
how one is done CW is direct Frequency against the other SSB which is converted
fro 45mhz to the signal frequency.

If you do not keep track of the mode you will run off lost into the weeds.

Allison

Re: ubitx compared to Elecraft or Xiegu for spurs #ubitx

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

>>>I had a quick look at my KX3 on the specan and its really clean.  Will have to do better test when I get some  time :)
73's VK5ZBR

Over the years I have had the chance to check out most all of the Elecraft lineup.
For pit FD site the are the preferred radio for being clean (all models).  The look
good on bandscopes.  The acid test is two of them on the same band running
phone and CW and not having mutual interference.

That and look at the specs.

Allison

Re: #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink #bitx40help

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

First the code (Arduino sketch)had to be changes to set the 5351 to the needed range for 20M.
That is both the LO and the BFO as needed.  You will need the 40M sketch to do that.

The 40M band pass filter gets changed to 20M, Look for the schematic of the older bitx20
series for values.

Then the 40M low pass filter needs to be changed.

Ignore any noise about changing the IRF510s.  I have run those to over 70mhz at 
high power (20W at 13.8V).   Its a competent enough device assuming the circuit
around it is correct.

>>The magic is in the ladder/BFO combination, which shears off the carrier and unwanted sideband, while passing the wanted sideband.  

Only half true.  The balanced modulator is to remove the carrier, the filter passes the desired
sideband (strips the other).

Allison


Re: ubitx compared to Elecraft or Xiegu for spurs #ubitx

Jim Myers <kd7eir@...>
 

Comparing a multi-thousand dollar commercial radio product to the uBITX is silly.

Re: #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink #bitx40help

Jerry Gaffke
 

The Bitx40 works just fine on 40m with the IRF510, no need for major surgery.
Also, no issues with spurious emissions (an issue for the uBitx). 

Best to get started using the Bitx40  with stock firmware and no mods.
But as you may have discovered, the frequency jumps around a bit, and USB operation is not an option.

Allard has two different versions of his firmware
    https://github.com/amunters

Once the stock rig is working, try Allard's bitx40 firmware.
You should at least add the Function button, and remove C91 an C92  as he suggests.
This will allow you to choose either a low side VFO for LSB or a high side VFO for USB.

For example, assume we are receiving at 7.2mhz
The crystal filter is centered at 11.997mhz
The crystal controlled BFO is perhaps at 11.9975mhz.
The VFO is at 11.9975 - 7.2 = 4.7975mhz, and we get LowerSideBand
To flip to upper sideband, the VFO moves to 11.9975 + 7.2 = 19.1975mhz and the BFO stays put.

Here's a a few old posts describing what is happening 
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/24724
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26707?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,24724,20,2,0,5050215
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/25360

You may someday wish to try Allard's bitx40-raduino-v2 firmware.
This will require a few minor mods, but driving the BFO from the si5351
gives much more control over the rig.
In particular, it allows you to flip sidebands by moving the BFO down a few khz to the other side
of the crystal filter, the VFO staying put.

Jack will find that making the Bitx40 work on 20m is a significant bit of work.
Much more involved than just changng the firmware.
You will need new firmware, new filter at L1,L2,3,  also a new filter at L6,L7.
Also the board is not laid out well for 14mhz, so the power amp won't deliver much.
Good luck sorting all that out, though it has been done.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 05:31 PM, Timothy Fidler wrote:
JM there is a whole lot of information here around this BBS in various corners.  see right down bottom of this post...
(public version of post sent privately a while back) 
Extra filters can come from Kees Talen who sells little PCBs for this purpose .  Moto appn note AN267 is  your friend for this design.  KT sells parts .. you do the design.

you will need to change out the IRF PA for a  proper Mitsi HF or VHF Mosfet. The pinouts don.'t align as Flowers found out but he worked out a kludge - eg wiring the RF transformer direct to the drain of the RDHH16.  The fact that the  Source and tab on the RDHH16 and 15 Mosfets are the same simplifies some of the rework and of course makes heat sinking a lot easier. Those Mosfets are avail at reasonable prices as in just over 5 usd plus freight from "cecil the parts place". DIZ,  the toroid king used to stock them but >....no more.

  There is a V2 version two that involves hardware mods- BEWARE.  Best have a backup plan like a second Raduino or a clone so you can always fall back to plan A.
 
https://github.com/amunters/bitx40   is a new load of software that may do many things you want. It also contains a whole lot of fixes and includes CW capability.

In terms of display for both 40 and 20 m with a dual band design (??)  this item (search for 6 digit freq counter) from www.mpja.com might solve your problem $13 USD without a recode job. you use the frequency counter in native mode to display frequency in 20m operation and the original Bitx display for 40 m operation  (sounded like a good idea at the time ).

Type 43 material is pretty lossy above  7 Mhz.(can forward data) there are magnetics which if you change  them out will make a difference.   Flowers got 6W out he says with only the Mosfet change.  Without that change he was getting less than 2 W out.

MOtorola design note AN267 is your friend for  designing the New output filter.  (Kees supplies parts not designs)
===============================================================================
With six watts you can drive plenty of amps that will give you 50W+  out 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_z6dl9xgo&t=263s

Just The guts of this amp come up from time to time on Ebay as just PCBs all ready to go but no case  for region of $80 USD. It uses an MRF-186 dual RF mosfet  ..beware imitations esp beware of SMPS mosfet kits .  Crude as hell but it works and is hard to kill it seems. Somebody in PRC obviously lucked into a whole lot of surplus Motorola parts at bargain prices

There are some reviews of it on Austr. websites./blogsites 
======================================================================================

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/bitx40_convert_to_20_meters/5162026?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5162026

Re: #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink #bitx40help

MadRadioModder
 

“It’s a competent enough device assuming the circuit around it is correct.”  Therein lies the rub.  The IRF510 requires more attentive circuitry around it to offset Miller capacitance effect than a nicely designed RF transistor like the RD15VHF1… So some of that “noise” may be backed up by theory.

 

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of ajparent1/KB1GMX
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2018 8:56 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] #bitx40help BITX40 LSB Winlink

 

First the code (Arduino sketch)had to be changes to set the 5351 to the needed range for 20M.
That is both the LO and the BFO as needed.  You will need the 40M sketch to do that.

The 40M band pass filter gets changed to 20M, Look for the schematic of the older bitx20
series for values.

Then the 40M low pass filter needs to be changed.

Ignore any noise about changing the IRF510s.  I have run those to over 70mhz at 
high power (20W at 13.8V).   Its a competent enough device assuming the circuit
around it is correct.

>>The magic is in the ladder/BFO combination, which shears off the carrier and unwanted sideband, while passing the wanted sideband.  

Only half true.  The balanced modulator is to remove the carrier, the filter passes the desired
sideband (strips the other).

Allison


Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

…_. _._

Re: ubitx troubleshooting help - low power after irf510 replacement

Sean W7SKD
 

Here’s how this ended up going:  I saw no damage to any traces, no damage to any components really. I replaced the IR marked irf510s (sourced from Tayda) with Vishay Silconix marked irf510s (from Arrow) and everything is back to normal functioning. I don’t know if the IR parts were actually “bad” but they were certainly different. 

Pics of of the parts below - Vishay on the left 

Re: ubitx compared to Elecraft or Xiegu for spurs #ubitx

lkorahul
 

Allison, Sunil and others,

I was involved in  design  of Anan transceivers. Getting the filters right did involve lot of work. Isolation, trace impedance and via size all contributed to filter response. PCB layout also had some impact on gain of PA chain across the HF bands to 6 mtrs. First production run boards came out after 3 iterations.
Another issue was getting a low and straight line on the noise floor upto 6 mtrs but that is another story.
 
Capt Sunil was first VU customer and he ended up paying more than the Dx cost for the radio.. the local VAT.  

Farhan visited me and was witness to LDMOS PA development.

Rahul VU3WJM

Re: ubitx troubleshooting help - low power after irf510 replacement

Jerry Gaffke
 

Here's a clue:
International Rectifier gave up on building IRF510's years ago.


On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:57 PM, Sean W7SKD wrote:
Here’s how this ended up going:  I saw no damage to any traces, no damage to any components really. I replaced the IR marked irf510s (sourced from Tayda) with Vishay Silconix marked irf510s (from Arrow) and everything is back to normal functioning. I don’t know if the IR parts were actually “bad” but they were certainly different. 

UBITX won't key

jfein2000@...
 

Hi just finished assembly noting that the comments on connecting the keyer jack and I do have the resisitor and blue lead connected to the tip.  However the keyer does not key.  Intermittently it will begin sending di dah di dah etc and then stop but is not responsive to the key at all. I am currently trying it with a straight key.  Also doesn't seem to be any power output when it does send di dah.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It tunes fine and I hear stations on the air although the audio is good, volume seems understated as well.

thanks

Jeff

Re: uBITx intermittent cw transmit

jfein2000@...
 

I just posted this issue as well before I saw this message on topic.  I have exactly the same problem.  Voltage does drop to zero when contacts are closed.  Has anyone been able to debug this issue if it is the Arduino?  Thanks Jeff

Re: UBITX won't key

Joe Milosch <zzmiloschxx@...>
 

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 23:08:03 -0700
"jfein2000 via Groups.Io" <jfein2000=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.
I'm wondering if the ADC in the Raduino is programmed wrong in
the default software?
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/02/reducing-cw-key-errors-in-ubitx.html

I'm going to try putting in the KD8CEC firmware (software) revision
and see if adjusting the ADC settings fixes it.

By the way, are you using a metal or plastic chassis? If plastic, what
are you using as a ground point? The schematic shows the yellow
wire from the Raduino (Raduino ground) also connected to chassis ground.
Maybe we are missing a proper chassis ground to the yellow wire?

Is the negative power input wire a suitable chassis ground?
Or is there a better ground connection point?

It almost seems like the intermittent cw happens because
the Raduino ground is floating around, sometimes triggering the ADC,
sometimes not.

Thanks,
Joe



Hi just finished assembly noting that the comments on connecting the keyer jack and I do have the resisitor and blue lead connected to the tip.  However the keyer does not key.  Intermittently it will begin sending di dah di dah etc and then stop but is not responsive to the key at all. I am currently trying it with a straight key.  Also doesn't seem to be any power output when it does send di dah.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It tunes fine and I hear stations on the air although the audio is good, volume seems understated as well.

thanks

Jeff


Re: Raduino Clone kit from W0EB-N5IB #ubitx

Jim Sheldon
 

Now that I've seen the difference between a uBITX Raduino and the BITX40 Raduino, I checked my stock and I can easily supply my Raduino Clone to the BITX40 users with the 5 pin "Molex" style plug to mate with the factoryt supplied connector to the BITX40's power & oscillators. 

The prices listed on my website would be the same for either the uBITX or BITX40 versions.  The only differences would be an unprogrammed NANO and the 5 pin header instead of the 16 pin right angle header for the BITX40 version - if interested, contact me via the link on the www.w0eb.com website and let me know which version you would like.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

http://www.w0eb.com