Date   
Re: Basic board test: 130ma @ 12.5 volts #ubitx

Don - KM4UDX
 

Jerry - as the original "not stupid" guy, thank you VERY much for the detailed analysis of a mainboard w/o raduino.  

This is kit has been so much fun to build. I've loved every minute of it. 

The receiver and audio are really fine. I'm using an efficient clossed-back 5" midrange, and the CEC software.  On a strong signal, the volume is "sweet" and ample. Nice to listen to.  Weak signals & inefficient speaker could easily be a problem. But not here. 

Amazingly the basic cat control (freq change) works great from WSJTX!!  I jumped out of my seat when I clicked on a freq within WSJTX and the uBitx changes to that freq.  How cool is that!!!  And for us liberal arts majors, that means we figured out how to load up the required apps, get the configurations and ports and a thousand other technical details right, and not screw it up. A slap on the back for a non-EE. Hahahah.

The transmit half is not working yet.  I built the mic in a pill bottle in honor of the Dr.  But, there is not enough audio modulation to make a signal.  So I'm using the keyer generated tone, but even that gives me next to no RF output.  So I have to keep working at that.  I'll double check my work and see if I can stumble on the problem and careen into a fix. That normally my problem solving methodology. 

More work to come, with crossed fingers.  I can't tell you all how much I want to make a contact with a transceiver I build. 

Thanks.

Re: Different Tuning Steps #ubitx

Peter Aiea
 

Or you could punt, and manually store the freqs for WWV in the memory channels available in the  KC8CEC 1.08 software ...
I did that - it's arguably easier than dial twiddling, hi. 
Sorry if this is no help - I know this doesn't address the coding issue and I haven't tried the step you're attempting.  
With arduinos though, I have had gnarly formatting issues displaying numbers on a tiny LCD display.  
You may have to mess with the LCD formatting code for the screens that are giving you display problems 
to get a readable display. assuming the long int used  for arTuneStep and associated variables remain sane. 
v/r
pete  kh6dk

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:
Yes, it is KC8CEC 1.08.   Changing those values does change my step size but the 100000 displays funny while setting it or using it.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"

 


Re: Different Tuning Steps #ubitx

Mark M
 

I think Jack got it. The way Ian coded it you can't save that large of a value. It would probably be a good idea if there was some error checking in the uBitX Manager program where it wouldn't let you enter an invalid value. Or at least some warning about it.

Suggestion...to hop between WWV freqs, or any other freqs for that matter, put them in the channels...use the 'VFO to Channel' function in Ian's firmware. Then you can select which one you want using the 'Channel to VFO' function. I have the 5, 10, 15, & 20 MHz WWV freqs saved so I can check propagation. It's a lot faster than spinning the tuning knob.

Mark AA7TA

On 7/14/18 5:49 PM, Lee wrote:
Yes, it is KC8CEC 1.08.   Changing those values does change my step size but the 100000 displays funny while setting it or using it.
--

Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

George Baumann
 

I switched to using Parallax USB to Serial RS-232 adapters after having problems with ones from Prolific!

Started having problems with Prolific adapters when I switched to Windows 10.

Re: Different Tuning Steps #ubitx

Mike Woods
 

Try something under the maximum value 50000 should work and be almost as good as a fast way of getting around?

i presume you  know about Gen Coverage mode?  Go to band change and hold down the switch for a couple of secs.  It will then step up and down by a MHz on band change, which may also get you where you want to go?

Mike

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 at 12:49 PM, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:
Yes, it is KC8CEC 1.08.   Changing those values does change my step size but the 100000 displays funny while setting it or using it.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"

 

Re: Mike element

iz oos
 

I am now puzzled. Which gives more output? A mic with sensitivity - 24db or one at - 44db (as mine which still give some less output than the stock element)?


Il 13/lug/2018 23:05, "k1yw via Groups.Io" <k1yw=mail.ru@groups.io> ha scritto:
I have been playing with electret mics and using one that has has -24 dB output. This is :

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/334/AOM-5024L-HD-R-1219369.pdf

Note that 0dB = 1V/Pa. If you look at some of the specs of other elements, they have typical sensitivities from ~ -40 to -30dB. There is a huge range....

https://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Audio-Devices/_/N-awp3d?Keyword=microphone&FS=True

Greg
K1YW

Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

Gordon Gibby
 

FTDI drivers were enforced by windows10, and had features designed to either refuse to use, or even adversely reprogram counterfeit versions of FTDI hardware..... and thus prolific stuff seems to have been ............




On Jul 15, 2018, at 03:20, George Baumann <georgehbaumann@...> wrote:

I switched to using Parallax USB to Serial RS-232 adapters after having problems with ones from Prolific!

Started having problems with Prolific adapters when I switched to Windows 10.

Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

Nigel G4ZAL
 

The uBitx uses a clone nano and the serial/USB chipset CH340.
In Windoze 10, open Device manager and right click the unusable/unwanted Parallel port LPT3 and delete it.
Download the CH340 USB serial driver and run it.
Plug in the ubitx and Windoze should install the correct driver.

If it still doesn't work, maybe try editing the Windoze registry and remove all com ports...
http://woshub.com/how-to-clean-up-and-reset-com-ports-in-windows-7/

A reboot may help (it's Windoze after all).

Nigel.

Question about Nextion display and firmware

f1apy - Jacques
 

Hello Group and developpers

 

I’m sorry for my bad English, but I have one question about firmware of raduino to use with a nextion display,

on site I have access to Hex file, it’s right, but I plan to use a megamini-pro,

where I can obtain sources files to compil on the good processor ? or the team of dev can compile an hex file with this proc please ?

many thanks to support me

73’s de Jacques – F1APY

Re: Question about Nextion display and firmware

Bo Barry <wn4ghv@...>
 

I don't think the source files for the latest CEC firmware have been released yet. I may still have an earlier version.
I think the chip you mentioned is a mega2560. If so I could send a hex file of the previous version compiled for the 2560.
If your English is bad, you should see my French . 😂 Buenos Dias. Bo W4GHV since '54

Re: Different Tuning Steps #ubitx

Lee
 

Thanks Mike,  I did not know about General coverage mode.  It seems to step buy .1MHZ  which is what I was trying to do.  Thanks to the others for the WWV ideas but my reference to WWV was an example. 

My changes work as I wanted but I still would like to figure out how to make it display correctly.  I cannot find where to change the data type to unsigned long.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"

 

Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

km4vhx@...
 

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX


Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

Jim Sheldon
 

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX


Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

Jim Sheldon
 

Wish edit was enabled.  The pins 2 and 3 I'm referring to are on the "Digital" plug.  Pin 2 is the A6 analog input for CW keying and pin 3 is 5 volts.  This resistor pulls the A6 pin up to 5 volts which is the key "UP" condition.  If the pull up resistor is NOT installed, that input "floats" and if it gets near zero volts, the software thinks a CW key is installed and is pressed (Key DOWN).

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX


Re: Finding variables in source code

Jack, W8TEE
 

I think we all run into situations where we need to find the definition of a variable or object in a large set of files. The UNIX tool Grep is perfect for doing that. The Grep version I use is not longer available, but I just downloaded and tried this version and it seems to work well:



If you want to change the data type of a variable, use Grep and type in the variable name, supply a search path, and BINGO it finds all occurrences of that string in the directory/subdirectories seach.

Jack, W8TEE



On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 11:06:15 AM EDT, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:


Thanks Mike,  I did not know about General coverage mode.  It seems to step buy .1MHZ  which is what I was trying to do.  Thanks to the others for the WWV ideas but my reference to WWV was an example. 

My changes work as I wanted but I still would like to figure out how to make it display correctly.  I cannot find where to change the data type to unsigned long.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"

 

Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

Jack, W8TEE
 

Jim:

Does it still float if you use:

   pinMode(A6, INPUT_PULLUP):

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:


Wish edit was enabled.  The pins 2 and 3 I'm referring to are on the "Digital" plug.  Pin 2 is the A6 analog input for CW keying and pin 3 is 5 volts.  This resistor pulls the A6 pin up to 5 volts which is the key "UP" condition.  If the pull up resistor is NOT installed, that input "floats" and if it gets near zero volts, the software thinks a CW key is installed and is pressed (Key DOWN).

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX


Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

Lawrence Macionski
 

Windows 10 is the culprit..I also have a RS-HFIQ SDR transceiver and in their forum, there are numerous mentions of WINDOZE 10 blowing up ham radio settings..

Perhaps the main reason everyone has a fast WINDOZE 7- professional or Ultimate version

Re: Different Tuning Steps #ubitx

Mark M
 

You'd have to change it in the source code and then compile & load it. I don't think Ian has released the latest source. And it might be (most likely is) more complex than just changing the data type on the variable...depends on how the code is written.

Mark AA7TA

On 7/15/18 8:06 AM, Lee wrote:
...
My changes work as I wanted but I still would like to figure out how to make it display correctly.  I cannot find where to change the data type to unsigned long.

Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

Jim Sheldon
 

Have to ask Ashhar on that one.  I'm just paraphrasing the instructions that are published on HF Signal's website.  I don't use the A6 line for CW keying after freeing up the Digital pins when we went to the I2C display but lots of people still are.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

Jim:

Does it still float if you use:

   pinMode(A6, INPUT_PULLUP):

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:


Wish edit was enabled.  The pins 2 and 3 I'm referring to are on the "Digital" plug.  Pin 2 is the A6 analog input for CW keying and pin 3 is 5 volts.  This resistor pulls the A6 pin up to 5 volts which is the key "UP" condition.  If the pull up resistor is NOT installed, that input "floats" and if it gets near zero volts, the software thinks a CW key is installed and is pressed (Key DOWN).

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX


Re: CEC firmware with RadI2Cino board? #ubitx #firmware #radiuno

Jack, W8TEE
 

The INPUT_PULLUP pin qualifier activates the internal pullup resistors and should produce enough voltage to read logic HIGH on the pin. A closure of a switch (or key) on that pin will pull it to GND, which is probably what is wanted. Given the voltage divider circuit Ashhar uses for keying, the pin qualifier may not be what he wants.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:31:35 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:


Have to ask Ashhar on that one.  I'm just paraphrasing the instructions that are published on HF Signal's website.  I don't use the A6 line for CW keying after freeing up the Digital pins when we went to the I2C display but lots of people still are.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

Jim:

Does it still float if you use:

   pinMode(A6, INPUT_PULLUP):

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 15, 2018, 12:20:55 PM EDT, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:


Wish edit was enabled.  The pins 2 and 3 I'm referring to are on the "Digital" plug.  Pin 2 is the A6 analog input for CW keying and pin 3 is 5 volts.  This resistor pulls the A6 pin up to 5 volts which is the key "UP" condition.  If the pull up resistor is NOT installed, that input "floats" and if it gets near zero volts, the software thinks a CW key is installed and is pressed (Key DOWN).

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:12 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

You MUST put the 4.7K resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the Raduino regardless if you are using factory or CEC software to keep it from going into transmit without pressing a CW key.  That's spelled out specifically in the instructions and if you don't have that resistor in place and wired correctly that may well be your problem.

Jim

On Jul 15, 2018, at 10:53 AM, km4vhx@... wrote:

Jim,

That is a great offer to provide Ian with a free Radi2Cino, it's a shame he hasn't taken you up on it.  Perhaps he doesn't want to have to maintain the code changes either, which is understandable.

I was able to modify Ian's CEC code so it didn't go into transmit immediately.  However, it would still go into transmit if I turned the rotary encoder quickly (???).   Turning it slowly worked properly.  

My current plans are to go with the TFT/Arduino Mega display for my uBITX, I already had all of the hardware laying around, I just haven't gotten it wired together yet.   I've since bought an Icom 7300 and have been spending my radio time playing with it, and putting up antennas, so the UBITX has taken a back burner. 

Jeff, KM4VHX