Date   
Re: Group Policy

sridhar
 

Agreed  de Vu3pen


On Sun, 17 Jun 2018, 9:34 pm Arv Evans, <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
Periodically it becomes necessary to restate the policy and intent of discussion groups,
including this group. 

The purpose and intent of this group is exchange of information and ideas relative to
BITX design, construction, modifications, availability, troubleshooting, problems, and
upgrades.
Please bear in mind that this is a large International group, with members that include
a wide range of locations, backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures and sensitivities. 

From time to time an individual will post off-topic information that is related to ham radio in
its several forms.  Normally this is tolerated because it may be educational or interesting to
some members the group. 

At times some individuals post purely commercial advertisements that have no relationship
to Ham radio or BITX.  These advertisements are not desirable and can end up being purged
from such posts.  If such action persists the user can be placed on moderation and his/her
posts edited to remove the undesirable content.  In persistent cases the offending member
can be removed from the group, or banned from groups.io

Your cooperation toward keeping the group focused on its intent is appreciated. 

Thanks,
Arv - MODERATOR

#bitx40help - Erratic tuning #bitx40help

AGØH
 

My BitX40 has been finished and mods for Ver 1.27 were installed.  I wrote earlier that I had forgotten to install the 4.7K resistor when I connected the RXTX line.  (History: the basic BitX before mods was working perfectly.)  I put in the resistor, and re-flashed the Arduino (12 volt supply was off and both plugs to and from the BitX were disconnected) and then re-connected the two plugs and the power supply.

I tried to re-calibrate and the tuning was erratic.  The lowest frequency seemed to be set at 7.010.  I tried to set the lowest and highest frequencies but when I would bottom out the pot it would immediately stop.  The frequency was going down so fast that it was difficult to slow it down to select a frequency.  The same thing happened up on the high end of the pot.  I ultimately was able to set the low frequency to a little under 7.000 mhz and continued on with the calibration.  The tuning was very difficult and would only go up or down in 10 hz steps until I hit the bot tom or the top of the 100K pot.  Then it would jump extremely fast.

When I was trying to calibrate the board right after the upgrade, I may have screwed up the LSB/USB settings as I was having difficulty in getting a zero beat while doing the USB calibration.  Could I have screwed up the main oscillator setting?  Also, I had read in one of the posts that re-flashing the Arduino with Ver 1.27 does NOT re-set the original values .  Is that right?  If so, how can I clear out the bad settings?

I’m about ready to pull the radiuno out and put in another that I have programmed with Ver 1.27 to see if that will work.  I really don’t want to have to do that if someone here can give me some direction to re-set the Arduino.

BTW, the Bitx board seems to receive o.k. and will transmit 5+ watts.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions as to how to get the board back to original settings and/or if you think I might have damaged  it when I left out the 4.7 K resistor on the RxTx mod.  Thanks for any suggestions.  It’s greatly appreciated.

73,

Keith - AGØH

Re: New file uploaded to BITX20@groups.io

RICHARD
 

It would be nice if the front pc board fit,  When I tried to put my case together The front pc board does not clear the main board and the connectors for the mike and volume control interfere with the lcd display.  I guess you could move the main board, but kind of a disappointment after waiting so long to get the case.

K6KWQ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of BITX20@groups.io Notification <BITX20+notification@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2018 4:29:41 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] New file uploaded to BITX20@groups.io
 

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the BITX20@groups.io group.

File: UBITX CASE MANUAL PCB FRONT PANEL.pdf

Uploaded By: Sunil Lakhani

Description:
A short manual of explaining how to build up the front panel board for stereo sockets For case sold by amateurradiokits.in for micro bitx.

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/UBITX%20CASE%20MANUAL%20%20PCB%20FRONT%20PANEL.pdf

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Re: VOM Advice?

Mike Yancey
 

Well, I like to go both ways - vintage AND modern (heh).

Vintage - you can't go wrong with a Simpson 260. Older models sell for pretty cheap - shopgoodwill.com, (fl)ebay, sometimes an antique stores. They were built to last, and really the main thing that goes wrong is the case gets cracked or broken. I believe Micronta also had a swell model. Heathkit had a good VOM - but now you're competing with the Heathkit collectors, so...
 
Also: VTVMs (Vacuum Tube VoltMeters) are excellent for this type of work, particularly peak alignment - you watch the needle, not a series of flopping digits. Problem with VTVMs is - well, unless you find one from someone you KNOW who's restored it - they're usually out of spec, battery leakage internally (there's a battery for testing OHMs,  but - you can 'fix' that in going thru and repairing them - I usually add a 1.55 VDC supply off of the 6.3 VAC filament voltage - with a little bridge and LM317 regulator.

VTVM Brands: Heathkits V-7As, IM-11, IM-13... KnightKit - KG-620.

Modern - you CAN'T go wrong with Fluke - be sure & check for the 'cheap Chinese-made' Flukes - excellent quality, at Chinese prices - there's a 17B that's excellent and I think there's a model 12. A number of older model Flukes are great and reliable - desk model 8050A is one.

However, if you'd like to have a 'second' DVM - try ANENG - these are *definitely* cheap Chinese DVMs - I've found the 8002, 8008 and 8009 to be excellent build quality. Do NOT expect these to take (or be safe) for High Voltage (anything higher than mains, really - and be judicious and careful with mains...)

There's also an ANENG AN101 that's a pocket (cheap leads, but... eh, it's a pocket / keep in your car unit). Check EEVBLOG for some thorough reviews of these (and others).

Re: uBitx has a bit too crispy / semi-distorted audio even on low signal levels #ubitx #ubitx-help

rickaputi@...
 

hi mike - might seem simplistic, but i thought of impedance mismatch.  i had exact same trouble with my second ubitx......took audio transformer and placed that at the output and cleared up the distortion.   however, the audio output was low to begin with, so barely enough to drive my headfones now.  but problem solved for me.

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Ray Koster
 

I am afraid that your first post is correct and you do need the skills of superman to do any mods to this piece of junk!!. If this is a modders delight rig then why was it built using SMT components? Why does it need to be modded and at the rate these mods keep coming in, there will be very little of the original rig left!!!. If this rig is that bad, then why was it released on to the market with so many faults on it? Has anyone bothered to see if this rig, after all the mod's have been done, still complies with their countries radio spec's? has anybody tried to take legal action against Hf signals for selling such a poorly designed rig that requires so many modifications to make it work?

You may well be asking if this guy has infact any of these kits!!! well I have two Bitx 40's both arrived smashed in the post and beyond repair and a Ubitx that also arrived smashed and is also in a doubtful state of repair. I would not dream of putting this Junk on the air and would doubt that any of these kits would ever work...i am not going to spend weeks looking for cracked components when I can build a lot better things with my time..I am an ex Electronic service engineer and also an ex college lecturer in the field of Electronics, Ex meaning I am now retired


Ray Koster G7BHQ

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Jack, W8TEE
 

Ray:

I think you're wrong on several levels. First, the rig does work "right out of the box" without mods. Second, virtually all of the mods resulted from the desired to do "something better" than it currently did it. If you really expected to get a IC-7610 for $140, I've got a bridge for sale. Third, hundreds of us (thousands?) have played with both the hardware and software and not one has ever mentioned a problem with being near Kryptonite. Most of us simply enjoy tinkering with the radio. Fourth, I've purchased 5 BITX's and every one of them arrived in good order with no damage. (Perhaps there is something to this karma stuff after all.) Fifth, since your an expert in this area, perhaps it would be a more constructive use of your time to lend your expertise to improving the radio rather than taking the easy route of sitting in your arm chair and bitching about it.

Jack, W8TEE


On Sunday, June 17, 2018, 1:38:56 PM EDT, Ray Koster via Groups.Io <raykoster@...> wrote:


I am afraid that your first post is correct and you do need the skills of superman to do any mods to this piece of junk!!. If this is a modders delight rig then why was it built using SMT components? Why does it need to be modded and at the rate these mods keep coming in, there will be very little of the original rig left!!!. If this rig is that bad, then why was it released on to the market with so many faults on it? Has anyone bothered to see if this rig, after all the mod's have been done, still complies with their countries radio spec's? has anybody tried to take legal action against Hf signals for selling such a poorly designed rig that requires so many modifications to make it work?

You may well be asking if this guy has infact any of these kits!!! well I have two Bitx 40's both arrived smashed in the post and beyond repair and a Ubitx that also arrived smashed and is also in a doubtful state of repair. I would not dream of putting this Junk on the air and would doubt that any of these kits would ever work...i am not going to spend weeks looking for cracked components when I can build a lot better things with my time..I am an ex Electronic service engineer and also an ex college lecturer in the field of Electronics, Ex meaning I am now retired


Ray Koster G7BHQ

Re: Firmware CEC 1.08 from KD8CEC

Rob Snow
 

It's probably an unsigned Int with a maximum value of 65535.

73 Rob AG5OV - The Junkyard uBITX

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Henning Weddig
 

Ray, You are not obliged to buy the BITX40 nor UBITX. According to the huge amout of emails You could and should have known about the deficiencies of both transceivers. So knowing its limitations, why did You buy the units?

Up to now no one mentioned about a cracked unit when it arrived. And take into account that thousands of units are sold and in use wrodlwide! to me it is unbelievable about this success.

You told that You are a professional (like me). Die You ever do a complete design of a complete transceiver and produced it in large quanteties?

73

Henning Weddig

DK5LV

Ham since 1969 (ex DC9LJ), retired RF engineer with a large  experience in RF design and homebrewer since 1966....



Am 17.06.2018 um 19:38 schrieb Ray Koster via Groups.Io:

I am afraid that your first post is correct and you do need the skills of superman to do any mods to this piece of junk!!. If this is a modders delight rig then why was it built using SMT components? Why does it need to be modded and at the rate these mods keep coming in, there will be very little of the original rig left!!!. If this rig is that bad, then why was it released on to the market with so many faults on it? Has anyone bothered to see if this rig, after all the mod's have been done, still complies with their countries radio spec's? has anybody tried to take legal action against Hf signals for selling such a poorly designed rig that requires so many modifications to make it work?

You may well be asking if this guy has infact any of these kits!!! well I have two Bitx 40's both arrived smashed in the post and beyond repair and a Ubitx that also arrived smashed and is also in a doubtful state of repair. I would not dream of putting this Junk on the air and would doubt that any of these kits would ever work...i am not going to spend weeks looking for cracked components when I can build a lot better things with my time..I am an ex Electronic service engineer and also an ex college lecturer in the field of Electronics, Ex meaning I am now retired


Ray Koster G7BHQ

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

ajparent1/kb1gmx
 

Its what I call moders delight as there are many possible changes to suit a builders
wishes.  The fact that it is SMT is not a hindrance as in this day and age leaded
parts are much more costly and in some cases unobtainium. The fact that its not
laid out as close as SMT parts would permit is another good thing.

Is it perfect, no, and no pretense either!  It is exactly what I knew it would be because
I participated, read the descriptions, and schematics.  

As to compliance.  For most countries it is the sole responsibility of the licensee.
Rules may differ where you are but here (USA) Amateur Radio is the place where
the operator can build anything that meets basic performance standards.  That
is not permitted in any other radio service hence the responsibility for correct
operation is up to the operator and it applies even if you are running a 7800!

As to the propensity of mods...  Actually there are a few and more opinions on
how to achieve a specific result.  When you have a large group of people
experimenting  you will get many posted ways and means.  Its both nature and
a very collaborative thing.  I happen to enjoy it even if I don't always agree as
it may highlight something I missed or deemed unimportant to me, yet to
others very important.

For its price its a significant piece of hardware.  So what if it has a few warts,
I could easily run any commercial radio down to the latent flaws in those too.
I choose to enjoy it for what it is and have fun or fix them for my personal
enjoyment.

I happen to agree with Jack, quit grumping and do something constructive.
As an expert myself I choose to experiment and mod to my hearts content.

Larry,

I use geezer glasses too.  Getting old is hard on the body but sometimes makes
us smarter and wiser.  Have fun, and don't burn you're nose. 

Allison

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Don, ND6T
 

Larry,
For those that don't want to spend $$ for a nice stereoscopic microscope (which I still suggest is worth it) try the SolderScope . For several years I have enjoyed the student grade surgical loupes but the addition of the extra lenses make it a pleasure. I use everything available, "geezer goggles", surgical loupes, SolderScope, and even plain magnifiers. Do whatever it takes. Still a bunch easier than wrestling those wire leads and solder lugs that I used in the 1950's! Additionally, if you don't supply your friends with magnifiers, they can only say "WOW!" when you show off your work. Kinda like building a ship in a bottle. Howdydodat! -Don

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
 

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Koster has had a bit of bad luck with the mail delivery; I’m not sure if he used DHL or not.    I don’t think we are likely to make this gentleman happy despite whatever effort’s—-after reviewing a few posts of his in the past, he suffers from the same pair that I have at times, being a bit over critical.    Perhaps he’s just having a bad day and he had also a few like it in the past.  Best to simply move on, and let him go his way in peace. 




On Jun 17, 2018, at 14:22, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

Its what I call moders delight as there are many possible changes to suit a builders
wishes.  The fact that it is SMT is not a hindrance as in this day and age leaded
parts are much more costly and in some cases unobtainium. The fact that its not
laid out as close as SMT parts would permit is another good thing.

Is it perfect, no, and no pretense either!  It is exactly what I knew it would be because
I participated, read the descriptions, and schematics.  

As to compliance.  For most countries it is the sole responsibility of the licensee.
Rules may differ where you are but here (USA) Amateur Radio is the place where
the operator can build anything that meets basic performance standards.  That
is not permitted in any other radio service hence the responsibility for correct
operation is up to the operator and it applies even if you are running a 7800!

As to the propensity of mods...  Actually there are a few and more opinions on
how to achieve a specific result.  When you have a large group of people
experimenting  you will get many posted ways and means.  Its both nature and
a very collaborative thing.  I happen to enjoy it even if I don't always agree as
it may highlight something I missed or deemed unimportant to me, yet to
others very important.

For its price its a significant piece of hardware.  So what if it has a few warts,
I could easily run any commercial radio down to the latent flaws in those too.
I choose to enjoy it for what it is and have fun or fix them for my personal
enjoyment.

I happen to agree with Jack, quit grumping and do something constructive.
As an expert myself I choose to experiment and mod to my hearts content.

Larry,

I use geezer glasses too.  Getting old is hard on the body but sometimes makes
us smarter and wiser.  Have fun, and don't burn you're nose. 

Allison

Re: uBitx has a bit too crispy / semi-distorted audio even on low signal levels #ubitx #ubitx-help

ajparent1/kb1gmx
 

Ralph,

91p and 82pf are standard values.  I went with 82 and checked afterward.  The filter in mine
went from about 1750ish  and kind of tight at the 6db points to 2280hz which is to me ideal.

The nice part with SMT caps is if you need more, lay them on like bricks, so 82+6.8 might be
what someone else needs.  They are available down to .1pf.

Rather than sweep it with SA I used a noise source at the antenna and looked at the audio
out with an audio FFT program (windows people use spectran).  You can also use that to
set the BFO. THe Elecraft K2 builders have used that trick for years.

Allison

Raduino needed.

Dennis Yancey <bigbluedry@...>
 

Looking for a factory Raduino. Hoping someone has one they aren’t using. If not, can someone tell me how to get one from the factory?  LCD is not necessary. 

Thanks
72 and God bless.

Re: #bitx40help - Erratic tuning #bitx40help

Allard PE1NWL
 

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 10:16 am, AGØH wrote:
Also, I had read in one of the posts that re-flashing the Arduino with Ver 1.27 does NOT re-set the original values .  Is that right? 
No, all settings will be reset to "factory" values after each version upgrade.

If so, how can I clear out the bad settings?
Power on the radio while keeping the Function Button pressed. This will reset all settings to "factory" values.

However I doubt that this will fix the problem.
The problem as you describe it, is more likely caused by noise, incorrect wiring, poor grounding or a bad power supply.

73 Allard PE1NWL

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Rob Snow
 

I feel obliged when I see emails like this to chime in.  I apologize in advance if it annoys anyone.

My uBITX is my first HF rig and is the reason I went ahead and completed my Extra.  I saw the price, knew that there was no longer any excuse and ordered it, knowing I had 6-8 weeks to do my part (study and pass my Extra).  My "Junkyard" uBITX has been running flawlessly since it arrived and today I'll top 1000 QSO's with it.  Mostly on FT8, but I'm venturing out and have secretly been practicing my CW CQ in far off areas of 40M (nothing like on-air to raise the stakes) to get my confidence up and managed my first PSK31 earlier.

I've managed to mod my uBITX with Howards awesome and simple power mod, modded to 12.0v logic (TDA8222W) and just this morning added my temperature controlled fan mod (the box fan looming over my uBITX was unseemly).  My parts bins have exploded in size with SMT components, SMT practice boards (thanks for the tip, Jack) leaded things of all sizes and a new solder station. 

I'll add that the entire uBITX experience has been amazing and I'm thankful to Ashhar for creating the completely functional base and everyone else for the full-on, immersive learning environment. Just reading here and asking questions from time to time has been 10x worth the price of admission and I'm thankful for such a treasure trove of knowledge packed in one place, the SNR is simply amazing.


73 Rob AG5OV - The Junkyard uBITX

Re: Topic change

ajparent1/kb1gmx
 

Jerry,

This a topic change?  

I put the TX aside for a bit to deal with life, garden, and play with the receiver.

Generally the TX power thing is a hard nut to crack with the physical constraints
and high required gains.  I'll get back to it. 

Where we left off...
Oddly dealing with two other uBITX the simple steps are the good enough.
Those being Farhan's C81 mod (470PF), my better transistor in that spot(BFR106),
and swap out the 3904s with 2n2222A(TO18), add the SMT choke at R86.  More
than that is seriously involved.  For 80 though 17 it really helped and improved 10M.
For most that solves most of their wishes.

One hint: mount all the 2n2222A(to18) from the underside with short leads as that
is easier and opens up the top side for better airflow. 

Allison

Re: My New CNC engraved front arrived

Dennis Yancey <bigbluedry@...>
 

Where did you get that done? Looks fantastic.

Re: An Apology and clarification #ubitx

Brian L. Davis
 

So sorry that your postal system is so destructive, maybe you should contact them instead of this group!
Being a retired Electronic service engineer and college lecturer I suggest that instead of maligning the creators of these radios that do work, you design a radio that will do what these radios do and sell it for $120.  If you can't or won't then please stop whining, it's unbecoming of anyone with an Amateur Radio license, with or without your background!

Re: Raduino needed.

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
 

Dennis, they are in short supply. Somebody might be willing to let one go for you, however I have created a circuit board design that isn’t the same size but could be used. I could send you the Gerber files and then you simply order the boards from China, wait one week to receive them, and build one.   Additionally there are some folks here who have come up with more elaborate designs that would do many many things— those are orderable already made.  

 




On Jun 17, 2018, at 14:42, Dennis Yancey <bigbluedry@...> wrote:

Looking for a factory Raduino. Hoping someone has one they aren’t using. If not, can someone tell me how to get one from the factory?  LCD is not necessary. 

Thanks
72 and God bless.