Date   
Re: Went Dead

Bill Watkins
 

It never crossed my mind because I made wrong assumptioms..   I have qrp lab's qrx on 30 meters that runs 24/7, every 30 minutes on wspr. That runs on bs170. 

I'm learning. 



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Tab E, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

-------- Original message --------
From: Philip <philip.g7jur@...>
Date: 6/15/18 16:34 (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Went Dead

Transmitting WSPR will run the PA flat out for 2 minutes, with the standard heatsinks I am not surprised they blew.
I run a small fan near the heatsinks. 

Philip G7JUR

Re: uBitx has a bit too crispy / semi-distorted audio even on low signal levels #ubitx #ubitx-help

Mike
 

I now replaced the output amp with a MCP6284 that I had laying in the shack. That works.  No distortion. I tapped the signal from the collector of Q71 via an electrolytic cap. This strengthens my suspicion that there is something going on with the output amp.

One thing I also noticed now is that there is a clicking sound whenever I change frequency with the VFO .... Is this known? I wonder if it is due to the clock generator? Or crosstalk ...

I will also do as you suggest : measure some voltages around Q71, Q72, Q73 on BCE.

Re: Went Dead

Doug W
 

If you are using WSJT-X for WSPR there is a tx% setting.  At 100% it sends every time cycle, lower less.  I still wouldn't tx WSPR without a plan to remove the heat but a lower tx% will also give the MOSFETS a much needed break.

If you need some tips for removing the IRF510's from the board search this list it happens often enough.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Re: TX Debug Steps?

Ralph Mowery
 

If it is putting out and you are not getting contacts, you may be over driving the  audio going from the computer to the ubitx..  You may not be set up correctly in the software.

Make sure your computer clock is set to the exact time. If off by more than a few seconds it could make a lot of difference.


On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 7:47 AM, W8SWG <ebay@...> wrote:
So if I get some light from a bulb it is putting out RF but still not getting contacts.  What else could the problem be?  Do I need to buy a new board?


Re: New rig, current to finals does not go up when transmitting (was Need help)

tituskz1g@...
 

Your mic doesn't require a fancy case.  Here's mine, built with wood and plastic scrap and a few parts I had in my shop.  It works just fine.
--
Jon Titus, KZ1G
Herriman, UT USA

Re: How hot is too hot? #ubitx

MVS Sarma
 

I would prefer to use unregulated 12 or 13.5V for back lit by cutting it from 5V regulated and manage to change the series resistor to maintain needed current.

Regards
MVS Sarma
 

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 2:59 AM, Bo Barry <wn4ghv@...> wrote:
Thanks for the temp limits. I had forgotten about its thermal shutdown.   So @ 168 how long can I hold my finger on it? I stopped at 10.  I have a nice big Radio Shack sink on it.

Reminds me of advice I once got. My buddy said I shouldn't use the finger touch method. That I should use the upper lip method.

Yep. When I asked how to get my head/lip down into my equipment he threw something at me. 🤔. I figured it out the next day and won't reveal how to do it!


Re: How hot is too hot? #ubitx

ajparent1/KB1GMX
 

Picked it up over a year ago on Amazon no recognizable name.
I'd get two more save for I've not seen another.

That a RPI-3b will run on a 6AH 5V "charger" for at least 6 hours and still
going before I shut down.  

My laptop is a PI3b with a 10.1" hdmi that requires 12V and eats 4.5W at full
brightness without a touchscreen.  Not bad for 1024x720.  Went with a touch
pad and a real keyboard (apple mini) at a few milliamps as screens that size
with touch screen hardware eat wallets for breakfast.

THe big issues many of the displays there is no provision for dimming the
led backlight and that's where most of the current goes.  Even the little 16x2
runs high current until you change the resistor on the back or add one to 
the LCD 5V line (or go with a switch mode dimmer).

I tend to go if I need a screen on the radio I use a cheap 10" Android pad with 
as the screen as I can see it without classes and at low power.  With USB as
IO it can run everything with a Arduino as the other end of the USB. 


Allison

Re: The BITeensio board is here. #ubitx

Jim Sheldon
 

I replied privately to Bruce on this question.  The differences are somewhat numerous, but you can to to my website - www.w0eb.com and under the link "W0EB/W2CTX uBITX Files"  look in the "Documentation" directly for the BITeensio Software instruction manual in PDF format.  Read through that and you will see what our software is capable of using our hardware.  Unfortunately due to our use of a different I2C port (Wire2) which is not available on the NANO processors, our hardware cannot be compatible with Ian Lee's CEC software.

When you go to www.w0eb.com please refresh your browser's "cache" as quite a bit of material on the website has recently changed and if you don't refresh your cache, some browsers will display very outdated information.

For those that missed it, the order window for our new BITeensio board (see website above for details) is now available for purchase.

Jim Sheldon, W0EB

Re: VOM Advice? Simpson 260

MVS Sarma
 

A great multimeter designed by Simpson in 1960s. I had a chance to buy two of them for telecom training center's needs in India.

Re: VOM Advice? Simpson 260

Tominaz
 

The simpson requires a 30 volt battery that is generally not available, expensive when found. I have 10 3 volt cells in mine, so consider that expense. The voltage and current work fine without it but no ohms. JUST SAYING


On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 8:50 AM Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
A great multimeter designed by Simpson in 1960s. I had a chance to buy two of them for telecom training center's needs in India.

Re: uBitx has a bit too crispy / semi-distorted audio even on low signal levels #ubitx #ubitx-help

Mike
 

Raj, VU2ZAP: here are the voltages you asked for.

Re: Went Dead

Bill Watkins
 

Absolutely right about using a new plan and your’s and other’s suggestions!

Have to think through the new heat sink . .  Maybe leave wspr to qrp labs qcx for now; purposely built for that.  I have a qrp labs US3 on the bench. Those two will do all the wspr I need. I’ll leave the ubitx for cw and phone. 

 Have to get it transmitting again first.  Will definitely pay attention to the list guidance for replacing the mosfet. 

Was definitely good feeling to have that qrp chat on it right out of the box. Really like this radio. Fan already installed in the new enclosure. It’s a computer type; probably not enough. 

Bill




On Jun 16, 2018, at 08:40, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

If you are using WSJT-X for WSPR there is a tx% setting.  At 100% it sends every time cycle, lower less.  I still wouldn't tx WSPR without a plan to remove the heat but a lower tx% will also give the MOSFETS a much needed break.

If you need some tips for removing the IRF510's from the board search this list it happens often enough.
--
www.bitxmap.com

My New CNC engraved front arrived

Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar
 

Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
@LB3RE
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag

Re: The BITeensio board is here. #ubitx

Gwen Patton
 

I'm glad I got my order in already, then! The feeding frenzy commenceth, and I would hie me hence lest I be nibbled! *grin*

Having options is a Good Thing(tm).

Re: My New CNC engraved front arrived

William Cullison
 

Nice!

73 Bill WA8VIH/4

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:11 PM, Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar <post@...> wrote:


Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
post@...
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag




Re: My New CNC engraved front arrived

Roy Appleton
 

That looks sweet!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 11:12 AM Rag LB-Three-RE Stein-Roar <post@...> wrote:


Best Regards,
Stein-Roar Brobakken
post@...
LB3RE K3RAG
Skype: lb3re.rag



Re: TX Debug Steps?

RICHARD
 

Buy a few pieces of cheap test equipment.  A dummy load. Cheapo watt meter/vswr meter and RF probe. If you can’t afford this get someone to fix it for you, before you do need a new board,   Alight bulb is not the way to go.

73  k6kwq

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of W8SWG <ebay@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2018 4:47:08 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] TX Debug Steps?
 
So if I get some light from a bulb it is putting out RF but still not getting contacts.  What else could the problem be?  Do I need to buy a new board?

Re: VOM Advice? Simpson 260

Ralph Mowery
 

The Simpson 260 used several kinds of batteries over the years for the ohms function.  Often a D size for the lower ohm scale and a higher voltage one for the highest ohm scale..  Some odd ball ones by todays standards...Some more standard like several AA batteries and a 9 volt 'transistor' battery .  I think they were started around 1940, but know that by 1956 they were being produced in more or less the newer looking versions.

Here is a link to many manuals on them and probably how to calibrate them.


de ku4pt


On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Tominaz <tomfromphx@...> wrote:
The simpson requires a 30 volt battery that is generally not available, expensive when found. I have 10 3 volt cells in mine, so consider that expense. The voltage and current work fine without it but no ohms. JUST SAYING

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018, 8:50 AM Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:
A great multimeter designed by Simpson in 1960s. I had a chance to buy two of them for telecom training center's needs in India.
_

Re: How hot is too hot? #ubitx

Kees T
 

What you can always do to reduce the load and heat on the poor ol' 5V Regulator is to just add a series resistor of adequate wattage to drop the regulator input voltage to 7V or so. Simple, but not as efficient as using a buck regulator for the 5V in the first place....important if you are off battery power.    

73 Kees K5BCQ

Re: Went Dead

Ralph Mowery
 

While they cost close to $ 5 each  you may want to look at replacing the outputs with some RD16HHF1.  One good thing is the tab is at ground so you can bolt it directly to a heat sink.  You will have to cross two of the leads as the pinout is slightly different.  I did this and put a very large heat sink on mine to handle the extra heat from doing other mods to get the power up on some of the bands.

de ku4pt


On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Bill Watkins <kf7yxs@...> wrote:
Absolutely right about using a new plan and your’s and other’s suggestions!

Have to think through the new heat sink . .  Maybe leave wspr to qrp labs qcx for now; purposely built for that.  I have a qrp labs US3 on the bench. Those two will do all the wspr I need. I’ll leave the ubitx for cw and phone. 

 Have to get it transmitting again first.  Will definitely pay attention to the list guidance for replacing the mosfet. 

Was definitely good feeling to have that qrp chat on it right out of the box. Really like this radio. Fan already installed in the new enclosure. It’s a computer type; probably not enough. 

Bill




On Jun 16, 2018, at 08:40, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

If you are using WSJT-X for WSPR there is a tx% setting.  At 100% it sends every time cycle, lower less.  I still wouldn't tx WSPR without a plan to remove the heat but a lower tx% will also give the MOSFETS a much needed break.

If you need some tips for removing the IRF510's from the board search this list it happens often enough.
--
www.bitxmap.com