Date   
Re: Current Firmware

Tom, wb6b
 

Hi Dennis,

It looks like what you are trying to compile is, the code you would see if you clicked on "view source code" in your browser while looking at the code on GitHub. Of course, it is possible that something was temporary wrong at GitHub when you tried to download the code.

Try this link to download the zip file for the code. https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx4/archive/master.zip

I believe the CEC firmware has compiled HEX files available. There were instructions for how to install a program on Windows that could program an Arduino from the HEX file. In my case, as I have a Mac, it was just easier to compile the CEC software and upload it from the Arduino Sketch. 

Hopefully the number of errors you get, if any, will be simple "not found" errors as Jack mentioned. Those would be the libraries you would install from the "Sketch", "Include Library", "Manage Libraries" dropdown. Jack also points out that libraries can be downloaded directly from URLs, but I think anything needed for the factory firmware would be obtainable using the Sketch user interface.

Hang in there, much of programming and compiling seems counterintuitive. But, once you begin find your way around it starts to make sense. Once it all makes sense you've gone off the deep end and become a real programmer.

Side note: Hmmm. Maybe all those dire warnings about Microsoft and GitHub have so quickly become reality. After all, look at the first error:
"warning: missing terminating ' character
    Microsoft is acquiring GitHub!"

The deal hasn't even closed yet, and here we are...

Tom, wb6b

Re: RF power chain mods and improvements..

Jerry Gaffke
 

If the mixers are getting hit hard enough to go into compression, 
then we don't really need 12dB of gain in that transmit side 45mhz amp.
May as well back it off to 8 or 6 dB, 0 dB is fine, whatever a 2n3904 can reliably do at 45mhz.
Buy it back with more gain in the little back-side daughterboard.

If we come to a solution here, I'm hoping it resolves mostly to stacking resistors on top of existing parts.
I assume we are just lowering that feedback resistor from collector to base, and then also the bias resistor
from base to ground by a proportional amount.
All stackable, so just put a new 1206 part on top of the existing one.
This happens at Q40, Q20, Q90, Q911, Q92, Q96 to reduce the gains.  Keep the 2n3904's.
 
The daughterboard could have more than a few parts, we have lots of room.
Most current owners will be much more inclined to do the mods if they don't involve replacing a dozen 2n3904's.
The daughterboard is easily reversible, just remove the wires from it to T8-5 and the top pin of RV1, then restore C82.
(T8-5 and RV1-1 are through-hole pins, easily accessible from the bottom.)

Maybe kit up the daughterboard along with some other needed stuff, such as parts for a dummy load 
and a diode RF probe.  Would add about $1 to the cost.

Jerry

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Robbie Robertson
 

Thanks Skip. I'll certainly try that before I think about removing R70... Do you think it's worth building the rest of the audio path as per Version 4?

Re: Current Firmware

Jack, W8TEE
 

So how do we beginners determine which libraries are missing and where to find them?

I would start by urging programmers to follow the convention I mentioned earlier, which is to provide the download URL for any non-Arduino libraries on the same line as their #include directive. Then at least you've know where to go to download the required libraries.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018, 11:07:57 AM EDT, Dennis <dennis@...> wrote:


On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 06:29 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
Missing libraries is a very common error that beginners make
So how do we beginners determine which libraries are missing and where to find them? I'm going to try this exercise on a win10 machine later today. Perhaps it will work better than the mac. I don't understand why we can't be provided with a single compiled file to upload to the Arduino. I would suspect that most hams are not accomplished programmers.

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Robbie Robertson
 

Thanks to all of you that responded, it's good to know that I should be able to work on the SMD components if required.

Re: Github's future?

Jerry Gaffke
 

Reason at Microsoft has always been focused on how to make more money.
Nothing else.
That's how they got so big.

There probably are plenty of people at Microsoft who like github and want to see it thrive.
But if the bean counters somehow determine that snuffing out github will allow them 
to sell $billions more of their own crapware, that's what will happen.
Plenty of precedent, some of it recent.

Could be that their corporate culture has changed to truly embrace open source,
not just embrace and extinguish.   But I'm not holding my breath.
Could be that management currently sees a future in letting github thrive more or less
as it is.  But that could also change.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 06:46 am, Kevin Timm wrote:
Finally, a voice of reason - thanks Mike
 
73 Kevin 
K5KDT
 
>>>  Github is a platform to serve advertisements to software developers.  The price they pay to advertise is providing free project hosting.  Microsoft would have to be pretty foolish to screw it up.  If they alienate developers they lose their ad revenue.  The mass migration away from Sourceforge a while back should serve as a cautionary tale to them.

73 Mike
KK7ER

Re: Current Firmware

Jerry Gaffke
 

One problem with libraries is that they change.
Sometimes stuff simply disappears off web. 
Good luck building the original Bitx40 code of Dec 2016 (the etherkit si5351 library has changed).

A good reason for libraries is they can give portability across various processors.
Another is that they allow software to be quickly developed, no need to reinvent how to do stuff
or even figure out how it works.

But for production code, the fewer libraries getting sucked in the happier I am.

Jerry



On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:30 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
I would start by urging programmers to follow the convention I mentioned earlier, which is to provide the download URL for any non-Arduino libraries on the same line as their #include directive. Then at least you've know where to go to download the required libraries.
 

Re: Oscillation problems Bitx20a

Fokko PH0KKO
 

Thanks for the tip Howard. I have some spare IRF530s no 520s but I will keep that in mind. The kit has not arrived yet so I will finish the Bitx first. But for that price I could not resist buying one and see if and how it works. From what I have read it would be best to drive it with 2.5W max at the input, it is also advised to replace the big resistors with 15 Ohm (3W min.) ones in order to get a better SWR at the iinput. Have a look at PD7MAA' s page here: http://pa-11019.blogspot.com/2016/11/diy-kits-70w-ssb-linear-hf-power.html

If you know a good design for a 40m/70W max. LPF, (with some cheap toroids) please let me know. Looking forward to your post.

Re: Current Firmware

Arv Evans
 

Jerry

Sounds like a good reason to save the pre-processor output and name it filename.ino
This way you only need the libraries once and can dispense with the #include <library.h>
stuff for future compiles.  You can even check it back into the repository and eliminate
the need for repository based libraries for your project.

Arv
_._


On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:48 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One problem with libraries is that they change.
Sometimes stuff simply disappears off web. 
Good luck building the original Bitx40 code of Dec 2016 (the etherkit si5351 library has changed).

A good reason for libraries is they can give portability across various processors.
Another is that they allow software to be quickly developed, no need to reinvent how to do stuff
or even figure out how it works.

But for production code, the fewer libraries getting sucked in the happier I am.

Jerry



On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:30 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
I would start by urging programmers to follow the convention I mentioned earlier, which is to provide the download URL for any non-Arduino libraries on the same line as their #include directive. Then at least you've know where to go to download the required libraries.
 

Re: ND6T AGC implementation for uBIT-X

David <k6dma@...>
 

If someone is into making boards, I'd buy one.  Not real crazy about the AGC board offered by InKits.  Etching a board is beyond my capabilities now a days.
David, K6DMA

 

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Gwen Patton
 

I have one of those hot air stations. It works pretty darned well. I also have an "i-Extruder", a gadget for quickly and accurately applying dots of solder paste to a board for SMD work. I haven't practiced with it yet. In addition to the hot air station I also have a programmable reflow plate (ReFlowR) that I have yet to test. It ramps the heat correctly for good reflow.

For a soldering iron, I have a TS100 temp-controllable iron that works very well. I wish there was a small enough tip for the really small SMD work, but I haven't found one yet. It's a better iron than my ancient Weller.

Re: Current Firmware

Art Olson
 

Dennis

If you get a hex file use the loader see link below





On Jun 6, 2018, at 1:14 PM, Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:

Hi Dennis,

It looks like what you are trying to compile is, the code you would see if you clicked on "view source code" in your browser while looking at the code on GitHub. Of course, it is possible that something was temporary wrong at GitHub when you tried to download the code.

Try this link to download the zip file for the code. https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx4/archive/master.zip

I believe the CEC firmware has compiled HEX files available. There were instructions for how to install a program on Windows that could program an Arduino from the HEX file. In my case, as I have a Mac, it was just easier to compile the CEC software and upload it from the Arduino Sketch. 

Hopefully the number of errors you get, if any, will be simple "not found" errors as Jack mentioned. Those would be the libraries you would install from the "Sketch", "Include Library", "Manage Libraries" dropdown. Jack also points out that libraries can be downloaded directly from URLs, but I think anything needed for the factory firmware would be obtainable using the Sketch user interface.

Hang in there, much of programming and compiling seems counterintuitive. But, once you begin find your way around it starts to make sense. Once it all makes sense you've gone off the deep end and become a real programmer.

Side note: Hmmm. Maybe all those dire warnings about Microsoft and GitHub have so quickly become reality. After all, look at the first error:
"warning: missing terminating ' character
    Microsoft is acquiring GitHub!"

The deal hasn't even closed yet, and here we are...

Tom, wb6b

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Robbie Robertson
 

Changed the connection to M1, and as Skip said it still kills the pop, and keeps the side tone working... Excellent result. Vero board next...

Re: ND6T AGC implementation for uBIT-X

F1BFU - Fr - 79
 

Hi Kees

I have send to you a money via Paypal for a order AGC and Anticlick kit.
Have you receive it ?

73 QRO from F1BFU French Ham builder

Re: ND6T AGC implementation for uBIT-X

Jerry Gaffke
 

That would be Kees.
His kit includes the bare PC board and necessary parts.


On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 11:58 am, David wrote:
If someone is into making boards, I'd buy one. 

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

I use a sharp awl to break them in the center easily.  Then remove each end.  Those parts are extremely cheap.

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ 


On Jun 6, 2018, at 6:32 PM, Robbie Robertson <robbie.robertson@...> wrote:

Thanks to all of you that responded, it's good to know that I should be able to work on the SMD components if required.

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Skip Davis
 

Not really Robbie if your audio chain is working use it , the only change you might make is to add a 8 or 9 volt regulator in the 12vdc line to U1 as others have done. 
When I finish and am satisfied with all the mods I did I’ll have to submit them here. Like Allison I would like abt 10watts out on ten meters and the same on 40 & 20 meters. 

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Jun 6, 2018, at 13:30, Robbie Robertson <robbie.robertson@...> wrote:

Thanks Skip. I'll certainly try that before I think about removing R70... Do you think it's worth building the rest of the audio path as per Version 4?

Re: #bitx40 - CW Side Tone Wiring #bitx40

 

I went ahead and made the mod to keep the BITX40 LM386 audio amp powered all of the time. (Currently relay K1 removes the 
supply voltage to the amp on TX). 

What I did was to remove R111 (near the LM386 audio amp) and replace it with a 100 Ohm axial, thru-hole resistor 
and soldered one end to the R111 pad closest to the LM386. The other end of the resistor goes to +12V. That is it. This
isolates the LM386 from the supply voltage switched by relay K1 and keeps it powered all of the time. 

The most significant improvement is that the "CW Sidetone Surge issue" (CW sidetone starts out low and increases in volume over a second or two)
is gone ! 

With Allards CW Sidetone wiring :

https://github.com/amunters/bitx40/blob/master/sidetone%20wiring.png

the sidetone now remains at a constant level. 

I now hear noticeably less "pop"in the audio on the TX to RX transition so operating CW is much more pleasant. 

I think that this mod is a keeper.

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB 

P.S. There are no undesirable side-effects (i.e. I don't hear audio from the mic in the headphones on SSB TX). 

Re: Removing surface mounted resistor #ubitx

Jerry Gaffke
 

Could work.
But it's real easy to rip the pads off the board with any mechanical movement or pressure.
I use two soldering irons, one on each end.

Yes those surface mount parts are cheap.
And those those metal end pieces can separate away electrically when removing the part.
I avoid re-using them.

Jerry


On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 01:52 pm, K9HZ wrote:
I use a sharp awl to break them in the center easily.  Then remove each end.  Those parts are extremely cheap.
 

HarleyHeat1ASCH

Michael Hagen
 

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID "MotDog@..."
Mike@...