Date   
UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx

W7PEA
 

I started some rough notes on an assembly page right here on the group we can all update and maintain:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/UBITX-Assembly

.. I'll do another round on it (its late) but feel free to make corrections, edits, or suggestions on this thread.

Thanks!
W7PEA - Patrick

Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

Chris Clarke G3SQU
 

Thanks Michael.

Yes, I use Linux for everything I can. I only use XP where there is no convenient alternative and usually pull out the internet dongle! Had Windows 7 for a short while until it screwed up, and at that point I decided to go with Linux (whose main issues are my scanner and my weather station software, but really I need to sort them out. I do use XP for Ian's uBITx Memory Manager for the time being, not having yet had the urge to use WINE ... I guess that's another milestone I need to reach!

Chris

Re: show your mic

David Wilcox
 

WOW!  That is a neat antique.  Might have been a PA or intercom mike back when they used similar ones on a stand for a telephone.  I have seen a lot of old telephones like that with the ear piece hanging off to the side.  When you picked up the ear piece it went to "Central" and the kind lady there connected you to your desired party.  Others had an early dial at the base.  Enjoy a piece of history along with the new.

Dave K8WPE

On Apr 22, 2018, at 10:04 PM, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:

I am in the process of re-purposing a very old microphone as you can see in they lower picture, FEB 1944.  A new microphone cable should be here next week.   The carbon element inside was bad so I went for a MAX9812 Microphone on a board for $1.75 on eBay.  This microphone was not from a telephone.  Any guesses?
<Microphone Modded.jpg>

Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

Chris Clarke G3SQU
 

Thanks Nikos.

I am following this up. I have tuned in the Russian 14.996MHz beacon: it peaks through my audio filter at 14.996680 as measured by my ears (ie 80Hz higher than expected).

I have never needed to check the accuracy of my audio filter (specified as 600Hz with 250Hz passband) as with my analogue rig it just works for my ears.  But I think I should do so for use with the uBITx.

73 Chris

Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

Chris Clarke G3SQU
 

Thanks Ian

My external audio filter is a passive LC design by W3NQN that I built as a kit back in the 1990's . No longer available as a kit but it is well described on the web-site (www.w3nqn.com). However it is quite bulky with the AF inductors (and has 3db insertion loss) so possibly not first choice for portable operators! I have just purchased the SOTAbeams 'Laserbeam' digital filter and will be trying that out soon (also incorporates a fixed narrow filter so may have to tweak the uBITx for this as well).

Also following up your other advice, many thanks.

Chris

Re: uBitx Relay K3 Pins 1 and 5 Location

alans77@...
 

Thanks for your helpful replies!
N4AYE

Re: #ubitx SSM2167 mic compressor speaker feedback issue - resolved #ubitx

alans77@...
 

John: Where did you pickup D7 on the Raduino?
73,
Alan N4AYE

Re: Upgrade the software to Allard's version #radiuno #bitx40help #nano

SaMa photo SaMa photo
 

Uploaded software!
First the frequency was from 7,000 to 7,500 now 7,000 to 7,300
 
But nothing has changed! :(
He receives nothing! Only on some frequencies a bit of QRM
The background noise is left, I do not know if you had seen the video
https://youtu.be/kH5zcSSZQJw
I checked all the solders, all the different frequency coils ...
Nothing! He receives nothing! :(
It seems that the antenna is not connected! With or without it changes nothing!
 
Sergio

Re: show your mic

Gordon Gibby
 

Very cool, and That gives me ideas!


On Apr 23, 2018, at 02:50, Mvs Sarma <mvssarma@...> wrote:

P
raba jee, Very nice adoptation of  data splitter supplied by adsl modems . Perhaps even a phone rossette could be used.
 "rossette"




Regards
MVS Sarma
 

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Praba Karan <vu3dxr@...> wrote:
My ugly mic made from BSNL landline network box

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, 4:44 AM Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:
I am always impressed with the creativity and varieties of solutions this group comes up.  Collectively we range from true artists and craftsmen to hackers, kludgers, and cobblers.  I proudly spend a lot of time at the bottom of that spectrum.  While I am reasonable capable of making things look good with my BITX's I seem to rip things open and apart so often to play with that I am more interested in function than form.  With that in mind I stuck my mic and a junk box push button in a prescription bottle connected to a TRRS cable.  I know several others have posted pictures of their mic set up ranging from pro quality to junk box art. 
LET'S SEE WHAT YOU GOT. (try to keep your image file size as small as possible)


Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

w7hd.rh
 

I too run Linux.  I use WeeWx for my weather station software, which is written in Python and works very nicely under Linux Mint 17.3.  See my version at my website.

If you also wish to run FLDIGI, then my script will help you out with instructions here.  It allows you to use a menu to compile FLDIGI programs.


Ron W7HD


On 04/23/2018 01:53 AM, Chris Clarke wrote:
Thanks Michael.

Yes, I use Linux for everything I can. I only use XP where there is no convenient alternative and usually pull out the internet dongle! Had Windows 7 for a short while until it screwed up, and at that point I decided to go with Linux (whose main issues are my scanner and my weather station software, but really I need to sort them out. I do use XP for Ian's uBITx Memory Manager for the time being, not having yet had the urge to use WINE ... I guess that's another milestone I need to reach!

Chris

-- 
Ron W7HD - NAQCC#7587 OMISS#9898 KX3#6966 LinuxUser#415320
Editor OVARC newsletter

Re: UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx

w4rjp
 

Patrick:   Your idea of a stock uBitX wiring page is great.  I really like Mike ZL1AXG's uBitx.net website as it keeps me up-to-date with mods/issues/summaries/etc, but a  "stock" assembly page is important for uBitX newbies.  Received my uBitX in December. Browsing early uBitX threads, some builders had little or no difficulty with HF Signals wiring information, but as time went on more and more threads identified wiring, hardware, and sketch issues. While some highly customized their uBitXs from the get go, I learned it is sometimes better to stock build to insure the radio works before moving on with mods.

The attached began as a simple wiring diagram to assist (never intended to publish) in wiring the uBitX. While my uBitX is still mostly stock, over time I did revise the diagram to include a few options (I plan to pursue as time permits) as well as beneficial corrective actions identified by other builders. 

If you or others find errors please advise and will correct if it helps new builders.

73, Bob W4RJP 

Re: BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, April 22, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

d balfour
 

Hi Skip and all,
Worked AI4OT Charles, WA4THR Vic, N4DR Marc and VE3THR Tom. All between 750 to 840 miles distant from my QTH.
I heard you one time and came back but no response. 
Am using a homemade coil loaded dipole that is resonant on both 40 and 80. Using recycled 75 ohm television grade coax.

Dave 
K0MBT

Re: Teensy 3.5/3.6 upgrade for uBITX

Jack Purdum
 

Jerry:

I realize the power the Pi has and I'm familiar with compiler design and grammars, as my old software company built and marketed its own C compiler for DOS back in '80s...without yacc! Al and I have been through a pretty rigorous µC decision process for our Jackal project, looking at Pi, Mega2560, Due, Mega Zero, and the new Protoneer board to replace the Raduino/Nano board. We settled on the Teensy 3.6. One of our goals is to encourage hacking by those who are already familiar with the µBITX, and that suggested sicking with a processor that could run in the Arduino IDE. The Teensy 3.6 has
  • 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 with Floating Point Unit
  • 1M Flash, 256K RAM, 4K EEPROM
  • Microcontroller Chip MK66FX1M0VMD18 (PDF link)
  • USB High Speed (480 Mbit/sec) Port
  • 2 CAN Bus Ports
  • 32 General Purpose DMA Channels
  • 22 PWM Outputs
  • 4 I2C Ports
  • 11 Touch Sensing Inputs
and costs a little less than the Pi. The FPU is important in many SDR's that use FFT algorithms, and the Teensy has a very good FFT library. It also has a terrific audio library that we are using in our filter elements. However, to me, the critical elements were that the 256K of SRAM removes the real bottleneck of the Arduino family and there are a host of relevant libraries for the processor. Atmel needs to get its act together and boost its processor resource base if it wants to stay competitive. (I taught an assembler course on a Z80 back in the '80s and, you're right, the 328 reminds me of it although the memory architecture's a little different.)

Anyway, we experimented with Pi and other processors for over a month before we committed Jackal to the Teensy. We made the right choice for us. Al and I will be showing Jackal at the FDIM conference...I think it's pretty cool and brings a lot to the table. That's not to say that someone shouldn't give Pi a try as a Raduino replacement. It's just not for us.

Jack, W8TEE


On Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:24:48 AM EDT, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:



The ATMega328P on the Nano runs at 16 MHz, has 0.002 MBytes of RAM, is an 8 bit machine.

The RPi Zero runs at a 1000 MHz, has 512 MBytes of RAM, is a full a 32 bit machine,
runs linux if you wish.  Not only will it run the C and C++ code we have on the Arduino
(if you port the Arduino libraries), but it has its own compiler for it.
And a compiler compiler to build the compiler with for that matter (yacc). 

>  I'd consider why the Zero sells for $5.

It sells for $5 because it is of the current decade.
Whereas the ATMega382P is roughly in league with the Z80
I was working with back in the 1970's.
 
That said, the Nano is a fine choice for the basic uBitx.
Not all that much it has to do.

The RPi Nano would be good if you wish to implement standalone SDR, 
with a full waterfall display out to an HDMI monitor.
Or could be used as the Arduino IDE host when programming your Nano.
The top end Rasberry Pi 3 B+ does everything I'd want in a home computer for $35.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 06:17 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:
I'd consider why the Zero sells for $5. I think the biggest issue is that the Pi is a different animal than the Arduino family. First, it does not have a home in the Arduino IDE, where most of the µBITX work is being done. Second, it doesn't have the depth of add-ons that the Arduinos do. Those that do exist seem to be more expensive. Third, most of the work on Pi is either done in scripting languages or Python, neither of which is popular on the Arduino.

If you need more horsepower, consider the Protoneer (eBay 282786290858). It has 256K of flash, 32K of SRAM (HUGE benefit), and is clocked 3x faster than the Nano at a cost of $15. It looks very promising.

Jack, W8TEE
 
 

Re: BITX QSO Afternoon/Evening, Sunday, April 22, 3PM & 7PM Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere.

Skip Davis
 

Thanks for trying Dave there was QSB so occasionally I couldn’t hear both of you and when the carrier came on it made it difficult. At least I know my uBITX is getting out. I was using a folded dipole cut for 20mtrs, loaded with the T1 ATU in a inverted V configuration. I still need to finish building the 40mtr version and get it up in the air. 
I’m located in western NC so we should be able to work each other without any problem if propagation holds up.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Apr 23, 2018, at 08:31, davesters@... wrote:

Hi Skip and all,
Worked AI4OT Charles, WA4THR Vic, N4DR Marc and VE3THR Tom. All between 750 to 840 miles distant from my QTH.
I heard you one time and came back but no response. 
Am using a homemade coil loaded dipole that is resonant on both 40 and 80. Using recycled 75 ohm television grade coax.

Dave 
K0MBT

Re: UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx

Skip Davis
 

Very nice diagram Bob that will be very useful for new uBITX owners. 

Skip Davis, NC9O
847-331-4147

On Apr 23, 2018, at 08:30, w4rjp <pearsall20@...> wrote:

Patrick:   Your idea of a stock uBitX wiring page is great.  I really like Mike ZL1AXG's uBitx.net website as it keeps me up-to-date with mods/issues/summaries/etc, but a  "stock" assembly page is important for uBitX newbies.  Received my uBitX in December. Browsing early uBitX threads, some builders had little or no difficulty with HF Signals wiring information, but as time went on more and more threads identified wiring, hardware, and sketch issues. While some highly customized their uBitXs from the get go, I learned it is sometimes better to stock build to insure the radio works before moving on with mods.

The attached began as a simple wiring diagram to assist (never intended to publish) in wiring the uBitX. While my uBitX is still mostly stock, over time I did revise the diagram to include a few options (I plan to pursue as time permits) as well as beneficial corrective actions identified by other builders. 

If you or others find errors please advise and will correct if it helps new builders.

73, Bob W4RJP 
<uBITX_wireup V1.7.pdf>

Re: Upgrade the software to Allard's version #radiuno #bitx40help #nano

 

Sergio,

Check Raduino to BITX40 connections.

Raudino RED to BITX BROWN wire
Raduino BROWN to BITX BLACK wire

Raj

At 23-04-18, you wrote:
Uploaded software!
First the frequency was from 7,000 to 7,500 now 7,000 to 7,300

But nothing has changed! :(
He receives nothing! Only on some frequencies a bit of QRM
The background noise is left, I do not know if you had seen the video
https://youtu.be/kH5zcSSZQJw
I checked all the solders, all the different frequency coils ...
Nothing! He receives nothing! :(
It seems that the antenna is not connected! With or without it changes nothing!

Sergio

Re: UBITX Assemly Wiki Page #ubitx

Lee
 

I am putting my radio together and almost to the point of needing your wiring diagram.  Your colored wires make it look so easy and less confusing.  Fantastic work.  Thank you.  I have 1 request.   Could you maybe enlarge the microphone wiring to fit the open space and darken the lines.   It would make it easier on us with old eyes. 

Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

Nikos SV1IYF
 

Hi Chris,

Just for your info, my μBITx, as delivered, was -75 Hz off.
Calibrated it and now it is +/- 3Hz.
My IC-7300, after similar calibration, is less than +/- 1 Hz.
Lets say, half an order of magnitude better.

73 Nikos SV1IYF

Re: Erratic tuning with my new uBitx

Tim Gorman
 

I too run WeeWx on a raspberry pi running raspian linux. Works fine!
I've modified it give me 24 hour rain and to give me yesterday's high
temp.

Congrats!

tim ab0wr

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 05:20:00 -0700
"w7hd.rh" <w7hd.rh@...> wrote:

I too run Linux.  I use WeeWx for my weather station software, which
is written in Python and works very nicely under Linux Mint 17.3.
See my version at my website <http://w7hd.ddns.net:8080/weewx/>.

If you also wish to run FLDIGI, then my script
<http://w7hd.ddns.net/fldigi/flscript20180331.tar.gz> will help you
out with instructions here
<http://w7hd.ddns.net/fldigi/flscript-20180331-howto.pdf>.  It allows
you to use a menu to compile FLDIGI programs.


Ron W7HD


On 04/23/2018 01:53 AM, Chris Clarke wrote:
Thanks Michael.

Yes, I use Linux for everything I can. I only use XP where there is
no convenient alternative and usually pull out the internet dongle!
Had Windows 7 for a short while until it screwed up, and at that
point I decided to go with Linux (whose main issues are my scanner
and my weather station software, but really I need to sort them
out. I do use XP for Ian's uBITx Memory Manager for the time being,
not having yet had the urge to use WINE ... I guess that's another
milestone I need to reach!

Chris

Re: Teensy 3.5/3.6 upgrade for uBITX

Jerry Gaffke
 

I've got a Teensy 3.2, it looks very promising.
The 3.6 has floating point, which would make porting SDR libraries much easier.

The RPi's run linux with X-Windows, many popular SDR programs have already been ported.
Though RPi Zero at $5 might not have the horsepower to run X-Windows and all fast enough
without changes to the SDR program, so this sort of thing might better be done on one of the
bigger RPi's.   All the RPi's suck more power than the Teensy's, need to bring your own ADC's. 

Yup, the ATMega328P has a Harvard architecture, as Jack well knows.
Program memory (flash) and data memory (RAM) are in separate address spaces,
programs we write cannot easily read data out of flash.
For this reason, things like string literals are copied from flash to RAM at boot.
So something like lcd.print("Hello World") will use up RAM unless you resort to
the tricks shown here:   http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/PROGMEM
Not needed when programming most machines in C.

Jerry



On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 06:02 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
I realize the power the Pi has and I'm familiar with compiler design and grammars, as my old software company built and marketed its own C compiler for DOS back in '80s...without yacc! Al and I have been through a pretty rigorous µC decision process for our Jackal project, looking at Pi, Mega2560, Due, Mega Zero, and the new Protoneer board to replace the Raduino/Nano board. We settled on the Teensy 3.6. One of our goals is to encourage hacking by those who are already familiar with the µBITX, and that suggested sicking with a processor that could run in the Arduino IDE. The Teensy 3.6 has
  • 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 with Floating Point Unit
  • 1M Flash, 256K RAM, 4K EEPROM
  • Microcontroller Chip MK66FX1M0VMD18 (PDF link)
  • USB High Speed (480 Mbit/sec) Port
  • 2 CAN Bus Ports
  • 32 General Purpose DMA Channels
  • 22 PWM Outputs
  • 4 I2C Ports
  • 11 Touch Sensing Inputs
and costs a little less than the Pi. The FPU is important in many SDR's that use FFT algorithms, and the Teensy has a very good FFT library. It also has a terrific audio library that we are using in our filter elements. However, to me, the critical elements were that the 256K of SRAM removes the real bottleneck of the Arduino family and there are a host of relevant libraries for the processor. Atmel needs to get its act together and boost its processor resource base if it wants to stay competitive. (I taught an assembler course on a Z80 back in the '80s and, you're right, the 328 reminds me of it although the memory architecture's a little different.)

Anyway, we experimented with Pi and other processors for over a month before we committed Jackal to the Teensy. We made the right choice for us. Al and I will be showing Jackal at the FDIM conference...I think it's pretty cool and brings a lot to the table. That's not to say that someone shouldn't give Pi a try as a Raduino replacement. It's just not for us.

Jack, W8TEE