Date   
Re: worried now

Jack, W8TEE
 

Not a problem...hope it helps!

Jack, W8TEE



From: Tom Christian <tmchristian@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] worried now

Jack,
Thank you for the draft copy of the chapter from your book!  I put the book on my wife's Amazon wish list and told her I would really love it for my birthday this month.... Crossing my fingers...:)
Tom
AB7WT

PS - If I don't get it for my BDAY I'll just buy it asap....:)



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Re: uBitx 472kHz?

Kari Syrjänen
 

I cant even find settings menu....only USB/LSB, calibration and BFO....


Kari

Re: BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

 

I like WA2FZW's suggestion of a Sunday 3PM EST meeting time as well. Nothing says we can't do both an afternoon and evening 
get-together.  

The 40m band was in miserable shape at 7:00 pm last night. I called CQ BITX on 7.277 Mhz off and on for about 40 minutes
and heard nothing. Tuning around the band, I could only a hear a couple of very weak stations and noise. 

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB 

Re: ubitx hardware fsk

Ashhar Farhan
 

The Si5351 can easily send rtty. see the cw code of ubitx. you have to just push the clock to a different frequency.

- f

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Rod Self <km6sn@...> wrote:

Hi All,

See below from W0EB:

I have not yet done the digging, but if the si5351 is like the si570 then I believe hardware fsk is quite possible, with no ubitx hardware changes. Just use the key input for FSK keying. I will check it out.

Rod KM6Sn


On 01/07/2018 06:11 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
After Ron helped me get over the "stupids" and I finally learned how to properly compile & upload stuff to the Raduino, I now have Ron's mods running and he's fixed a lot of little annoying things (annoying to me anyway).  In between bricking & fixing the rig (all firmware, no hardware) I managed to make a couple of real nice 20 meter SSB QSO's and also a couple of 40 meter CW QSO's as well with it.

I heard a lot of RTTY (contest this weekend) and sure wish there were at least 5 more digital pins on the Nano.  Then it would really easy to implement a good CW Keyer and even implement true FSK for RTTY.  You'd still need a computer with sound card running something like Mako Mori's (JE1HHT) MMTTY program, but that would really work well.  Hardware FSK would be much cleaner to implement than tones into the SSB section.  As wide as the filter is, I'd be wary of the 2nd and maybe even 3rd harmonics of the tones being transmitted at the same time as the fundamentals.  That would really create havoc on the bands especially during a RTTY contest, not to mention incur the wrath of the FCC as well.

Jim - W0EB

This little rig just keeps getting better and quite rapidly too!


Re: uBitx 472kHz?

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
 

did you use the settings menu to lower the bottom frequency allowed?




From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Kari Syrjänen <beaconhunter@...>
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 8:02 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] uBitx 472kHz?
 
I tested mine and I cant even tune my receiver under 1 Mhz?? How to listen under 1Mhz? 

Kari

Re: Ubitx calibration help

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
 

If you have a ubitx, then ALL the frequencies are derived from the si5351...


So how do you know it is "off"??   Can you send an AM carrier into an antenna with your 7200 and find the signal with a 6" wire for an antenna on the ubitx and zero beat and measure the difference?


Or tell us how you measured that it is off frequency.


Cheers,


gordon


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Art Olson <olson339@...>
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2018 7:03 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx calibration help
 
Gordon

Tuned to 10mhz. Selected calibrate in setup and zero beat per instructions. I am close but think it could be tweaked a bit more. 

I have a icom 7200 - need to update qrz profile

I reloaded Ver 2 from Ashars blog site

I can make code changes using IDE. 

Art

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 7, 2018, at 10:55 PM, Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:

​Ah!   From your QRZ page you have an ICOM 718 exactly like me.   


One additional question:  are you able to make small changes in the code of the firmware that you've downloaded? like minor edits?


And which VERSION of firmware are you using?


Cheers,


gordon



From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:52 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx calibration help
 

​Can you give a little more information?


How far off?  Exactly how did you measure?  


What did you do (give the details) when you tried "calibrating"??


Do you have accesss to an accurate existing receiver with a digital readout?


Cheers,


gordon



From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Art Olson <olson339@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:01 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] Ubitx calibration help
 
Need some advice on how to calibrate my ubitx. I have read the instructions.  After several tries no success. Reloaded the firmware but freq is still off. Is there a better way to calibrate 

Art- N2AJO 

Re: uBitx 472kHz?

Kari Syrjänen
 

I tested mine and I cant even tune my receiver under 1 Mhz?? How to listen under 1Mhz? 

Kari

Re: uBitx 472kHz?

Kelly Jack
 

Kari,

I was able to hear a local beacon on 398khz so it at least receives this low.  If it transmits I expect it will need a LPF for this band as the onboard LPFs will be insufficient.

Regards


Simon


VK3ELH

Re: fsk on si5351

Jerry Gaffke
 

The si5351bx routines used in Allards code and in the uBitx already do bulk transfers:
See post https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/34362

Though doing FSK by i2c writes to the Si5351 will make for abrupt frequency transitions, which will cause adjacent channel interference.
The Si5351 does seem to not create any runt clocks during such transitions though.
The Si5340 has an SPI inerface allowing much faster writes, so you could do the transition as a series of smaller steps.

Farhan build an NBFM transmitter using the Si5351 by pulling around the 25mhz reference oscillator.around.
That's probably the best approach.
 https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/34020


On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 03:41 am, Rod Self wrote:

Additional comment which solved the problem: Kicking up the Wire library speed from 100kHz to 400kHz with
Wire.setClock(400000L);and using a bulk transfer to shove out a pre-calculated array of 8 bytes that is MultiSynth0's new divisor (instead of sending register1-byte1-register2-byte2-etc). The Si5351 supports bulk transfer with automatic address increments, so a whole new setup for MS0 was a total of 9 sent bytes. (Initial address plus the eight bytes of divisor+number+denominator.) This took the minimum pulse down to about 0.4ms, well below the 1ms I required. Hurray! 

 

Free uBitx development enclosure

Mike Bowthorpe
 

Hi All

Here is the first step in my free uBitx development enclosure, holes for controls to follow.....



...yes the plastic box it came in. Be careful when you cut the holes!

73
Mike
G0CVZ

Re: Ubitx calibration help

Art Olson
 

Gordon

Tuned to 10mhz. Selected calibrate in setup and zero beat per instructions. I am close but think it could be tweaked a bit more. 

I have a icom 7200 - need to update qrz profile

I reloaded Ver 2 from Ashars blog site

I can make code changes using IDE. 

Art

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 7, 2018, at 10:55 PM, Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:

​Ah!   From your QRZ page you have an ICOM 718 exactly like me.   


One additional question:  are you able to make small changes in the code of the firmware that you've downloaded? like minor edits?


And which VERSION of firmware are you using?


Cheers,


gordon



From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:52 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Ubitx calibration help
 

​Can you give a little more information?


How far off?  Exactly how did you measure?  


What did you do (give the details) when you tried "calibrating"??


Do you have accesss to an accurate existing receiver with a digital readout?


Cheers,


gordon



From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Art Olson <olson339@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:01 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] Ubitx calibration help
 
Need some advice on how to calibrate my ubitx. I have read the instructions.  After several tries no success. Reloaded the firmware but freq is still off. Is there a better way to calibrate 

Art- N2AJO 

fsk on si5351

Rod Davis
 

Hi All,

It appears ham rtty speed fsk is quite feasible on SI5351.

Looking at

https://github.com/etherkit/Si5351Arduino/issues/22

especially the paragraph that says

"Additional comment which solved the problem: Kicking up the Wire library speed from 100kHz to 400kHz with
Wire.setClock(400000L);and using a bulk transfer to shove out a pre-calculated array of 8 bytes that is MultiSynth0's new divisor (instead of sending register1-byte1-register2-byte2-etc). The Si5351 supports bulk transfer with automatic address increments, so a whole new setup for MS0 was a total of 9 sent bytes. (Initial address plus the eight bytes of divisor+number+denominator.) This took the minimum pulse down to about 0.4ms, well below the 1ms I required. Hurray! 

"

makes me believe it would be viable, maybe even at I2C bus speed of 100 kHz.

Rod KM6SN


ubitx hardware fsk

Rod Davis
 

Hi All,

See below from W0EB:

I have not yet done the digging, but if the si5351 is like the si570 then I believe hardware fsk is quite possible, with no ubitx hardware changes. Just use the key input for FSK keying. I will check it out.

Rod KM6Sn


On 01/07/2018 06:11 PM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
After Ron helped me get over the "stupids" and I finally learned how to properly compile & upload stuff to the Raduino, I now have Ron's mods running and he's fixed a lot of little annoying things (annoying to me anyway).  In between bricking & fixing the rig (all firmware, no hardware) I managed to make a couple of real nice 20 meter SSB QSO's and also a couple of 40 meter CW QSO's as well with it.

I heard a lot of RTTY (contest this weekend) and sure wish there were at least 5 more digital pins on the Nano.  Then it would really easy to implement a good CW Keyer and even implement true FSK for RTTY.  You'd still need a computer with sound card running something like Mako Mori's (JE1HHT) MMTTY program, but that would really work well.  Hardware FSK would be much cleaner to implement than tones into the SSB section.  As wide as the filter is, I'd be wary of the 2nd and maybe even 3rd harmonics of the tones being transmitted at the same time as the fundamentals.  That would really create havoc on the bands especially during a RTTY contest, not to mention incur the wrath of the FCC as well.

Jim - W0EB

This little rig just keeps getting better and quite rapidly too!

Re: Tuner Kit Progress

K9HZ <bill@...>
 

I’ll publish the schematic next weekend.

 

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

 

 

email:  bill@...

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of David Holland
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2018 3:12 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tuner Kit Progress

 

Hi Bill,

I am very interested in your affordable autotuner.  I must have missed the beginning of this thread.  Would you please be so kind as to let me know the link to the details.

Thank you.

Best regards,

David G4LDT

 

On 08/01/2018 04:43, K9HZ wrote:

There is plenty of overlap in the inductance rank now.  The final kit will probably be closer to doubling. 

 

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

 

email:  bill@...

 


On Jan 7, 2018, at 9:06 PM, Kelly Jack <kellyjack1968@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Great project. Very interested in this as a remote tuner. 

One query - why are the last two 5.2uH and 10.6uH as opposed to continuing to double up? Not a criticism just seeking to understand.

Regards

Simon VK3ELH 

 

Re: Tuner Kit Progress

David Holland
 

Hi Bill,

I am very interested in your affordable autotuner.  I must have missed the beginning of this thread.  Would you please be so kind as to let me know the link to the details.

Thank you.

Best regards,

David G4LDT


On 08/01/2018 04:43, K9HZ wrote:
There is plenty of overlap in the inductance rank now.  The final kit will probably be closer to doubling. 


Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

 

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

 

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com


email:  bill@...

 


On Jan 7, 2018, at 9:06 PM, Kelly Jack <kellyjack1968@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Great project. Very interested in this as a remote tuner. 

One query - why are the last two 5.2uH and 10.6uH as opposed to continuing to double up? Not a criticism just seeking to understand.

Regards

Simon VK3ELH 

Re: Customisable panel cutout template for the EF01 project box #bitx40

 

@Vince - OK well at least it's not just me then. Bit of a shame but not that surprised, it was exceptionally cheap.

@Arv - Yes don't see why this isn't possible. I've not seen any work done on this in my  extensive research on B40 mods.. You could make a feature request to Allard perhaps :-)

uBitx 472kHz?

Kari Syrjänen
 

Hi all

I am new to this group and just got uBitx from the custom...only 22% VAT was added

I am wondering if uBitx  can somehow work on 472kHz amateur band?

Kari OH5YW

Re: BITX40 Display problem

credwood@worldonline.co.uk
 

The Red LED on the Arduino board is on solid.

Re: Win a BitX40 kit January 6, by showing off your project, in East TN in a nice warm building see you there and meet Dr. Jack Purdum and bring everything he has ever written for him to autograph

 

Followup on the Builders Fest in East TN, it was great, ask Dr. Jack, he packed the house with Bitx enthusiasts. And the hamfest with its indoor arena tailgating was at capacity for the first time ever.  

No Doubt BitXes brought a good number of them in.

I was hoping to have some nice pictures, so I could have posted a link by now and said, here go look....but, clubs being what they are, I am not taking the hit, I had a few of the contributors on the board contribute to door prizes and guys I am struggling to get pictures of what took place.  The club has chosen to suppress any pictures....for reasons I can only guess pretty accurate.  So, I am disappointed in myself for not believing what I was experiencing....So enough of that, 

The enthusiasm was there for the expo, to do what Farhan is doing and actually have builds on the spot....wow....what I do to get to one of those....can't make it to India, I hope he has better luck with pictures.

Craig 
KM4YEC

Re: group build at LARC'18

 

let me be the first to say...you are mistaken. 

I am interested.  I would surely be safe to say there are others....

I invited BitXes to East Tennessee, USA  just yesterday, and I very badly wanted to share the results with everyone here to show that very point, just how much interest there is. The BitXes showed up from Washington State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Virginia, and images of BitX40s were sent in from the Netherlands and Venezuela....and maybe other places, I have to admit I don't know the full extent of my production in East TN, as my EX-club as of yesterday, cut me off from feedback before the show even started, and I won't be getting any photos and Christmas Cards either.  But, I got Dr. Jack and bunch of BitXes to East TN.....so....you betcha we are interested. 

Dr. Jack filled the house with BitX enthusiasts.

I say, please share, and others take notes.  Please have some kind of photo record to share. 

Craig
KM4YEC