Re: Firmware options for the current uBitx v6 with the 2.8" tft display #ili9341

Dean Souleles

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 02:43 PM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:
I really don't understand the allure of the Nextion series of displays. They are 4x as expensive as a non-Nextion display with similar features and they don't require you to store pages in memory/SD card. Perhaps its the editor because it allows non-programmers to modify the screens. Still, with perhaps a day's worth of study, you could program an alternative display and have complete control over it. What am I missing?
Jack -

Understand about the cost difference but for me it is an easy trade off. One of the things I like about the Nextion is the screen editor and object library.  The Nextion IDE is super feature rich and already does 90% of what I want in a UI.   My Nextion builds don't store pages in an SD card.  And just having an WYSIWYG editor doesn't mean you don't have know programming to use it - you actually do, and you need to understand how object oriented GUIs work and how to register callbacks, etc.   I just don't want to spend a lot of time hand laying out a UI, pixel by pixel.   I can make a beautiful functional and very modifiable and maintainable GUI in a fraction of the time that it would take me if I had to hard code all of the layouts and design buttons and sliders, write the touch screen handling, etc. etc, etc.    Evan made a point about separating functions - and the fact that the the Nextion has its own programmable micro controller is also a benefit.  Its a simple example, but I added a frequency scanning control to the rig with no changes to the Nano code at all.

For my homebrew QRP transceiver I support three different screens - and standard 4x20 LCD a 320x240 TFT (non touch), and a 320x240 Nextion.  The Nextion is what I have in the build that I use every day.

If you know of a good GUI editor and library that is equivalent, or even close I would give it a try, but I haven't found anything like that.

Last thought - I've been a professional coder for 40 years now and one thing I know for certain is that there are many ways to solve a programming problem - and no-one has a patent on the best single answer.

73,
Dean