Re: Power for a UBitz v6 #power

Gary Dumbleton

Hi Max,

It sounds like your solar system larger than mine. I was building mine to just run my station and have  done that fine.  I am running a hamclock, raspberry pi, a bitx 6 and a Yaesu 450D.  It seems to do the job.  I also have an inverter.

My solar system is permanent and at my home station.

Here is the system that I have.     https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B8L8MD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connect the BITX and the Yaesu direct to the battery (fused of course). The hamclock and the raspberry pi is connected via the inverter to a power bar.

I have added another 2 panels so now have 4 panels.  I have 200 watts.  The battery I have is a Lead Acid deep cycle 12 Volt.  My panels are wired in Parallel.

The current conditions are full sun and the voltage on the meter on my system is telling me 14.4 volts and no additional noise or pulsing on the radios.

The Charge controller is the Ronogy Wanderer, which is good for the 200 watts of panels.   https://www.renogy.com/wanderer-li-30a-pwm-charge-controller/
They have other charge controllers that you can check out.

You can reach the Renogy website here.    https://www.renogy.com/

It seems that one of the differences in our setups is that mine is parallel and yours is series.

I realize that my system is a lesser system than yours, however, I hope this helps.

Gary

On 7/26/2021 8:52 AM, Max via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about your system, the number and size of your panels and the model of your controller and type of battery?

I currently have four 100 watt panels connected in series feeding a Rich solar 40A controller and a 100 amp lithium battery at home.

I also have two 100 watt panels with a no name controller and 40 amp lithium battery for portable use.

They both make about the same amount and type of noise.

Thanks for any help,

Max KG4PID

On Monday, July 26, 2021, 07:35:11 AM CDT, Gary Dumbleton <gary@...> wrote:

Max,

My station  is completely solar and I am not having any known trouble with the charge controller.  My charge controller is about 5 feet from my station. I have an all band vertical and a windom. Whether it is charging or not, my S meter does not really change. Right now The sun is out and I am charging and making ft8 contacts on 20 and the band is quite active.  My solar system is Renogy.

Gary

On 7/25/2021 11:21 PM, Max via groups.io wrote:
I've done that also, but right now I don't have an AM radio to use. These solar charge controllers sure make a lot of noise. Why the FCC allows this is beyond me.

Max

On Sunday, July 25, 2021, 04:17:44 PM CDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

Max

In the bad old days we used to walk about our neighborhoods with a
multi-band portable radio and listen for static and stray RF.  Radios
with a loopstick antenna had directional capability that allow one to
locate the specific noise source.  Same thing can be done today but
it is not mentioned much anymore.

Arv
_._

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 7:30 AM Max via groups.io <kg4pid=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So where does one get a loop probe? I already have a TinySA and would love to be able to pinpoint the exact source of my noise.

Max

On Sunday, July 25, 2021, 07:59:54 AM CDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for pointing at the Apple USB supplies. Some Apple gear has found
it's way into my home and I have wondered about those. I am going to
acquire a loop probe
or two for my tinySA and my SDR receiver to help
ferret out sinful power supplies here. Yes, I have some too. They go to
sleep when the grid goes down. I have turned off the whole house at the
breaker box for no noticeable reduction in hash noise. I'm sure I will
find any with those probes plugging and unplugging every power supply.
That breaker doesn't stop the neighbors or those power lines in front of
the house:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more