Re: Ubitx v6 as SOTA - Set freezes on TX #ubitxv6-help

Ted

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM, jerry@... wrote:
Instead of radials, it has an "Ufer ground". The antenna mount is embedded in a concrete slab. The slab is 70 feet long by 10 feet wide. In that slab is an 80-foot length of 6AWG solid copper wire. The wire comes out of the concrete next to the antenna mount, and the antenna is grounded to it.
That Ufer ground sounds a bit heavy to be taking up into the hills with you on SOTA;  so while your home installation seems pretty great, we need to simulate that success out in the field.

I think that's were multiple radials would pay off.  I mention the ferrite bead or 1:1 current balun on the coax as an extra measure, but in any case your citation of your success at home only supports the need for a proper RF plane elsewhere as well, with your vertical antenna.

-Ted
K3RTA