Re: technical question about filter capacitors

Arv Evans

Jack

Sounds like an efficient storage system.

Arv
_-_

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 8:49 PM Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Arv:

I bought a pack of small plastic cosmetic sample jars (eBay #151829253060) and placed caps or resistors in them.

I then used an small Avery peel-off label, wrote its value on the label and stuck it on the lid. I should have stopped there, but went on to put small Velcro pieces on the back and then mounted a board on the wall vertically and placed a long strip of Velcro on it and stuck the jars to it. Somebody here didn't think it looked all that cool...

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, May 3, 2021, 4:45:20 PM EDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

Gerard

I'm probably wrong but maybe there are no markings on 805 and smaller
SMD capacitors because only a very few of us would be able to read the
writing.  Possibly something new and radical like a series of colored dots
would work, but still problematic for us ancient people.

I have a small isolated-tip tweezer with flexible test probe type leads and
banana plug connection to a capacitor meter.  Once I got used to the
equipment this lets me spread a handful of SMD components on a plastic
serving tray and quickly measure anything that looks like a capacitor.
Also works for resistors, and other measurable components.
These are then dropped in a fold of paper in order of value.
With a little practice this becomes second-nature and supports quick
sorting and easy circuit board assembly.  Measure the value with the
tweezer tips open, then measure again with the component held in the
tweezer.  Difference is actual component value with stray capacitance
factored out.

Arv
_._

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 1:47 PM Gerard <kabupos@...> wrote:
One thing that is always annoying is that the value of a SMD capacitor is almost never indicated.
I don’t understand why manufacturers don’t put a mark on the capacitors , when they do it on resistors. That’s probably a cost.
I put a video on it to find the value without desolding, but you have to be equipped
And not sure his method work on very low capacitors.

(18) How to test or measure SMD capacitors on the PCB / on circuit measurement free electronics training - YouTube

cdt

--
Jack, W8TEE