Re: Are all the Bitx version fundamentally the same?
This is how I set up for FT8. I haven't tried much else. All of this is on a windows PC...although I have a rasperry Pi I may switch to.
I am doing the following:
1. Installed WSJT-X- https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
2. Installed a timesynctool- https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/wsjt-x-and-setting-windows-10-clock-seconds.592212/
3. Connect uBITX to PC via USB cable
3a. Check Device Manager for COM port
4. Connect uBITX to PC via USB Sound Card- uBITX Mic to PC Earphone/uBITX speaker (front panel) to PC Mic
4a. I had to "customize" the Audio cable from the USB soundcard to uBITX- https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/84452
5. Turn On uBITX (with antenna connected)
6. Check Settings (configuration) in WSJT-X-
Rig: Yaesu FT-817
Serial Port: COM8 (based on step 3, not that this can change if you plug in to a USB hub instead)
Data Bits, Stop Bits, Handshake- All Default
PTT Method; CAT
Split Operation: Rig
PTT method: CAT
Input: USB Sound (step 4)
Speakers: USB Sound (step 4)
7. Cross fingers....
Actually, this worked well. WSJT is doing the PTT no trouble. I probably could have used the sound ports on my PC as well, but I had the USB device lying around, and could limit the sounds going to it while still hearing my PC through regular audio.
Contact me if you need more information.