Re: Linear Amp Idea

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

I've also been interested in this.  I think the Hardrock-50 is a good value for a proven, robust design. The man behind the Hardrock-50, Jim Veatch WA2EUJ, won last years NXP Homebrew RF Design Challenge for his design of a 100 watt Hf amp using MRF101AN
https://www.nxp.com/company/blog/homebrew-rf-design-challenge-winners:BL-HOMEBREW-RF-DESIGN-CHALLENGE-WINNERS
You can buy bare amp, TR, VSWR bridge and LPF boards from RF Power tools https://sites.google.com/site/rfpowertools/home/nxp-mrf-101

Jim posted about developing an MRF101 product here, see posts by jcve...@gmail in this topic about an MRF101 amp for the Hermes Lite 2 QRP SDR  https://groups.google.com/g/hermes-lite/c/iE06IfYYiBU/m/bDr31EiLDAAJ

One price for MRF101 performance is needing a 50 volt power supply. For the Hardrock version Jim also mentions limits on the built in ATU range. Is three db over the existing Hardrock-50 worth it?

    Bob  KD8CGH